Topic Stats

• 4,306 posts
  • 400 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Spawn
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 768 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

16178194 (resized).jpg
taiwanmike (resized).jpg
4D4A3346-0315-415D-B99B-68DA9933C456 (resized).jpeg
inside (resized).jpg
outside (resized).jpg
84584653_635900340515446_416112507699068928_o (resized).jpg
2DCC7FE2-B3A0-42C0-8990-9954D1BCA5D7_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
974F5C1E-9523-4DAA-9379-A3000F8A641C (resized).jpeg
83059929_160014771965732_3982039144204337152_n (resized).jpg
60BE80EE-1964-4CB7-8493-93C2283952B6 (resized).jpeg
F18DDEF4-7FB5-46E6-B018-5CD180662B86 (resized).jpeg
20200111_063452 (resized).jpg
81781551_618896412215839_6759575124225032192_n (resized).jpg
screen-capture-4 (resized).png
73209863_556397155132432_4970388802087419904_n (resized).jpg
Kung Fu Panda (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4306 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 87.
#251 3 years ago

that photo is 1-2 years old now

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Yet you think Stern would gladly become beholden to a supplier that clearly wants to compete with them, and resides entirely offshore?

Didn't say that. I'm entirely in the dark as to this meeting's purpose, but maybe there's nothing to it at all. Time will tell.

#253 3 years ago

The final parts to arrive before we close for Chinese New Year on Monday.

Most places we deal with are already closed so there won't be any updating of this thread for a couple of weeks.

pivot (resized).jpg

pivot2 (resized).jpg

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

Wait a minute, he certainly won't fly half around the world just for a little chitchat.

He didn't. The primary reason was a trade show/expo going on in the region at the same time.

Add to that also a stopoff over in Australia to meet with his local distributor and some site operators.

That's why the photo's context was left ambiguous.

And as swinks said at least 1-2 years old.

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

..Chinese New Year on Monday.

紅包拿來

#256 3 years ago

Despite my comments in the last post we did actually manage to get a few more things done before officially closing for the New Year break. The factory is now closed for two weeks with almost all staff going back to their home towns.

We fitted the bearings to the auto plunger pivot blocks (using some bearing lock), finished off some more plunger shafts, folded some more brackets (various) and assembled additional flipper plunger assemblies.

The last staff here put up the traditional Chinese "good luck" signs around our doors. I'm told it says something like "Best wishes for a very prosperous businesses year" - but it could say anything and I wouldn't know LOL

assemblebearings (resized).jpg
bearings2 (resized).jpg
plunger3 (resized).jpg
plunger4 (resized).jpg
folding (resized).jpg
plunger1 (resized).jpg
plunger2 (resized).jpg

cny1 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#257 3 years ago

The Homepin factory is officially back to work today. Many others around us are back as well but certainly not all. A few of our key suppliers that we called today didn't answer so it looks like they won't be back until next week. This is a difficult time of year because it writes off a couple of months with the lead up to and then the tailing away of Chinese New Year.

Homepin still has three staff away and they are not due back until next week.

At least we were able to set off some fireworks (fireworks are banned in Australia - they can only be set off by licenced people under strictly controlled conditions).

fw2 (resized).jpg

fw1 (resized).jpg

#258 3 years ago

I bet it is good to see the factory open again. Welcome back.

#259 3 years ago

I really don't think the average punter realises how much Mike has on the line here. The more I see of the operation, the more it seems like this is an all or nothing bet. I have developed one or two shitty little mods and it has cost me a butt-load in time and money. Thousands tied up in stock so I don't have to make to order. This Homepin operation is serious and will tally $millions at stake. Mike, you must be in a position where it's crash or crash through, and anybody HAS to take their hat off to that.
I continue to be amazed.

#260 3 years ago

It's a pinball rubbery kind of day here as the rubber factory just dropped off thousands of our fresh rubbers.

RUBBERS1 (resized).jpg

RUBBERS3 (resized).jpg

RUBBERS2 (resized).jpg

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

It's a pinball rubbery kind of day here as the rubber factory just dropped off thousands of our fresh rubbers.

Kilograms of fresh white stuff being weighed on precision scales. Not sus at all! I loooove counting by weight. I count cash for pin deals with my scales.

2 weeks later
#262 3 years ago

Hi Mike, It's been a couple of weeks since your last update. I assume that means you have been busy. Have you anything new to share? Cheers

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Hi Mike, It's been a couple of weeks since your last update. I assume that means you have been busy. Have you anything new to share? Cheers

He has been posting things on the FB page so things are progressing!

#264 3 years ago

Yes, we have been super busy this past couple of weeks. The things I post here and on Facebook are only a very small percentage of what we are doing on a daily basis.

Below is a short video showing a simple machine we cobbled together to colour mark white wire as you cannot buy 'wire with a trace colour' in China so we have to make our own. Yes, I know there are other ways and yes, I know it's slow, but we just put a roll of white wire on and leave the machine to choof away at its own pace.

We are also doing the assembly of all the parts that make up our plunger assemblies. The knobs came back from the platers finally (after Chinese New Year).

A new batch of replacement pinball boards are being tested ready for packing.

A heap of wiring harness assemblies being made for our Hankin tables (another container shipped out on Tuesday for Melbourne).

I hope you can make sense of which picture is which below.

plungerassembly (resized).jpg

plungerhousings (resized).jpg

plunger1 (resized).jpg

plungerknobs (resized).jpg

plungersprings1 (resized).jpg

plungersprings2 (resized).jpg

plungersshaft (resized).jpg

testingpcbs (resized).jpg

harnesses (resized).jpg

harnesses2 (resized).jpg

loading1 (resized).jpg

loading4 (resized).jpg

loading3 (resized).jpg

loading5 (resized).jpg

#265 3 years ago

That wire printing machine is cool!

#266 3 years ago

Thanks for the update

You are certainly building up a stockpile of parts. The fact that you need to make everything, including having to print the various trace colours on the cables, boggles the mind. What a mammoth task.

And the plungers look great!

#267 3 years ago

Does the shooter housing use a metal pressed-in bushing? Or does it use a nylon sleeve like a Williams?

#268 3 years ago

Appreciate the insight to manufacturing from scratch.

Just a comment, not trying to be offensive -
In regards to the container packing as someone who has unloaded containers, I would appreciate having pallets underneath to make it a lot easier to pull the boxes out.
If you are worried about quarantine with timber pallets, I'm sure you could get plastic ones.

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

If you are worried about quarantine with timber pallets,

no issue, if they are heat treated.

#270 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Appreciate the insight to manufacturing from scratch.
Just a comment, not trying to be offensive -
In regards to the container packing as someone who has unloaded containers, I would appreciate having pallets underneath to make it a lot easier to pull the boxes out.
If you are worried about quarantine with timber pallets, I'm sure you could get plastic ones.

No offence taken - plastic pallets cost 80RMB each (about $12 USD) x 20 = an extra $240 - my customers won't pay for that.

I'm happy to include them when the customer wants to pay for it.

#271 3 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

no issue, if they are heat treated.

heat treated wooden ones are not acceptable for Australia, you need chemically treated pallets WITH a certificate of compliance and a stamp on each pallet. This costs far more than 80RMB.

#272 3 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

heat treated wooden ones are not acceptable for Australia, you need chemically treated pallets WITH a certificate of compliance and a stamp on each pallet. This costs far more than 80RMB.

Tell me about it. We had a whole container rejected once going into Austraila.... what a pain in the ass.

#273 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Tell me about it. We had a whole container rejected once going into Austraila.... what a pain in the ass.

Yes, I had a container held by AQIS once many years ago and had to pay for extra trucking and fumigation (as well as an extra 4 days on the wharf) - all up it cost me nearly an extra $3000. You can be certain I learned a valuable lesson from that.

Our pinball packing boxes have a mini pallet built in and are made from 100% cardboard.

1 week later
#274 3 years ago

I am really surprised Homepin has not been added to this pinside sub forum when they are making games and actually participate here more than many of the others. Looking forward to more updates. And keep up the good work!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/manufacturers

#275 3 years ago

Hey o-din,
Same here for a few months now..................have been about to email Robin................you see this-and I
ask that Homepin needs to have their own sub-forum/pinball manufacturer page !!

Mike at Homepin sure seems MORE than worthy,super interesting and informative and a regular poster who has been more than thru the ringer here on Pinside and a great contributor who seems to disclose every hiccup,and still has the finish line in sight.

Am about sure here to be a end product user/purchaser,and cannot wait to see how this shakes things up when all sorted out,with their vision,price point,pretty much all products self made and just a grinder who will see fruition thru thick and thin.....what a story as well !!

Kirk in Colorado

1 week later
#276 3 years ago

I know it seems pretty stupid to be making what many will consider an 'off the shelf' item but here in China you simply cannot buy the exact screws that I want to see holding all the parts to the underside of our playfields. We have been using standard philips head screws for all of our testing but today the custom made "Homepin" screws were delivered from the screw factory.

There are two lengths of hex/philips screws and one smaller philips only type.

The video shows the small factory that is very close to us making numerous screws and, on the day I visited last, they were actually making our smaller ones.

They start with a piece of wire that the head shape is stamped into then the blanks go into another machine that stamps the thread. After the screw shape is made they are sent off to the foundry for hardening and then the platers for gold plating.

The pictures show various stages of manufacture then the finished products being delivered to us today.

screw_blank (resized).jpg

goldscrews (resized).jpg

finished_screws (resized).jpg

screws_delivered (resized).jpg

screws (resized).jpg

#277 3 years ago

Look rather better than Stern's patented InstaRust (TM) screws and bolts.

#278 3 years ago

I ordered two new springs today from the spring factory.

They have just taken delivery of a couple of brand new CNC controlled machines and were putting them through their paces.

I never tire watching these amazing machines.

#279 3 years ago

I have never seen how they make screws and springs like this. Thanks for sharing Mike.

#280 3 years ago

Wow. I have honestly never thought about how they make screws and springs before. It's very interesting and pretty cool to watch the videos.
Thanks for sharing!

#281 3 years ago

Very cool to see. Thanks for documenting and sharing all these cool little steps!

#282 3 years ago

Thank you so much for pics and videos. This is one of my favorites threads.

#283 3 years ago

Keep these videos coming.

#284 3 years ago

Naive question (you may been answered before): are you planning to sell some parts to other game manufacturers? Hobbyist working on homebrew games? Directly or via retailers?

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Naive question (you may been answered before): are you planning to sell some parts to other game manufacturers? Hobbyist working on homebrew games? Directly or via retailers?

Once our production is running smoothly we will be in a position to offer parts and assemblies to others. It could be a year away before we are able to do that.

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Once our production is running smoothly we will be in a position to offer parts and assemblies to others. It could be a year away before we are able to do that.

That's exciting since the quality/workmanship look first rate and the cost-basis is lower b/c the parts are manufactured in Asia.

#287 3 years ago

Glad your posting on Pinside , no access to Facebook!
Keep up the great work!

#288 3 years ago

Some sample switch actuating wires were delivered for our final approval this morning from the spring factory. These are made using stainless steel spring wire and the samples fitted our bracket and worked the switch perfectly.

On the subject of the switch, we purchased these from a nearby switch factory and the pics below show the two most critical specifications we required. First is the operating force. This needs to be a lot lower than a standard micro switch so the ball won't hang on the wire if it's rolling slowly and the second is the operating life.

Naturally we checked and evaluated a lot of the other specifications to make sure that these were the best we can buy for the job but these two criteria were the most important for our application in pinball machines.

switch_actuators (resized).jpg

SW_Operating_Force (resized).jpg

SW_Life_Test (resized).jpg

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

This needs to be a lot lower than a standard micro switch so the ball won't hang on the wire if it's rolling slowly

This bugs me so much in some machines where they've used switch actuators that are too heavy, and which stop slow balls on ramps or loops.

Getting round the side of the machine to tip it in the middle of a good ball isn't fun.

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This bugs me so much in some machines where they've used switch actuators that are too heavy, and which stop slow balls on ramps or loops.
Getting round the side of the machine to tip it in the middle of a good ball isn't fun.

Why don't they go back to conventional leaf switches and Gottlieb rollover wireforms? With a leaf switch you can adjust the tension of the switch.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Why don't they go back to conventional leaf switches and Gottlieb rollover wireforms? With a leaf switch you can adjust the tension of the switch.

We looked at that but it's a lot more work to assemble them.

#292 3 years ago

I really like all the detaills you show about the pinball parts. Keep them comming!

Why are metal detector sensor not used more for ball detection? They are cheap and does not any need holes in the playfield. Why are mechanical switches still a thing in modern pinballs that create hanging balls, have wear or bent wires?

#293 3 years ago

Mike, thanks for the peek behind the scenes, I love them. I was just wondering when can you start showing us snippets of the game?

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

I really like all the detaills you show about the pinball parts. Keep them comming!
Why are metal detector sensor not used more for ball detection? They are cheap and does not any need holes in the playfield. Why are mechanical switches still a thing in modern pinballs that create hanging balls, have wear or bent wires?

Metal sensors, well the cheaper ones anyway, can't detect through 1/2" of plywood reliably.

#295 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Mike, thanks for the peek behind the scenes, I love them. I was just wondering when can you start showing us snippets of the game?

There are so many different bodies that we are back and forwards to for licencing stuff it just isn't worth my time to figure out what I can show and what I can't. Keep in mind Stern shows their new machine a month before it goes on sale - I suspect for similar reasons.

Getting all of the legal stuff out of the way is a whole new minefield that many can't even begin to understand. It has also caused us to go back to the drawing board a few times further holding up proceedings.

Remember, making pinball is hard! LOL

#296 3 years ago

Good going Mike on your effort !!! Watching intently ! and pushing for your own Homepin name/thread on Pinside homepage under manufacturers.

Come on Robin........Homepin is worthy )

#297 3 years ago

Mike: As it stands right now do you think you'll ship a finished pinball in 2017 or do you think it's more likely to be 2018? I'm not trying to pin you down to a shipping date or anything like that; I'm just kinda curious how close you think you are. Your progress and updates are fascinating.

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Mike: As it stands right now do you think you'll ship a finished pinball in 2017 or do you think it's more likely to be 2018? I'm not trying to pin you down to a shipping date or anything like that; I'm just kinda curious how close you think you are. Your progress and updates are fascinating.

We are pulling out all the stops to be shipping initial machines by the second half of this year. Once we have all the ducks lined up, production will flow from there without too many holdups that we can foresee mainly because we won't be relying on others for most of our parts.

The initial four containers will be going to Australia so I can't say for sure if any will make it to other countries this year or not.

#299 3 years ago

That's very cool! I don't really care where they're going; I was more curious about overall progress as making your own screws seems pretty far away from a complete machine since you can't import any parts. More pinball in the world is a good thing. Thanks for sharing with us here; I hope you make your second half goal.

#300 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

That's very cool! I don't really care where they're going; I was more curious about overall progress as making your own screws seems pretty far away from a complete machine since you can't import any parts. More pinball in the world is a good thing. Thanks for sharing with us here; I hope you make your second half goal.

We have numerous prototypes assembled with "ordinary" screws - that's when it became obvious to me that we would have to make our own that were more suitable for the job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, NC
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Randolph, MA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 38.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 4306 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 87.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside