Topic Stats

• 3,983 posts
  • 384 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by wiredoug
  • Topic is favorited by 170 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 749 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

truth (resized).jpg
screen-capture-8 (resized).png
rampage (resized).jpg
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 7.47.02 pm.png
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
99D1AA11-1443-414C-A49B-3B3177C76184 (resized).jpeg
59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg
2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg
868710A0-56BB-496C-BEDA-7BA0D66E4FB6 (resized).jpeg
dial2 (resized).jpeg
AFF856C8-B022-4091-B5B9-6C804FB42F87 (resized).png
8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg
D19AA2E9-F995-4396-81AD-9750E23E87BF (resized).jpeg
8AAFDB60-3AAD-4FB6-A920-94E6E6BEA833 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3983 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 80.
#2351 11 months ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

The game is clunky as hell, feels cheap as shit, and none of the shots feel good. The ball constantly gets stuck on the lock post. The middle ramp is flimsy and super thin, im guessing the ramp will be thicker and clear in the production version. The flipper buttons are very uncomfortable. This game needs a lot more work.

How was the flipper gap?
Could you view the targets under TB2?
Was multiball achievable?
Do you get to see TB1 take off sequence happen before the multiball starts?

#2352 11 months ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

I just hope those exposed leds get covered in the production run.

just to clarify .. do you mean the flasher board thing under the posts / lane guide?

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 12.41.47 pm (resized).png

#2353 11 months ago
Quoted from Toads:

How was the flipper gap?

That gap still looks pretty big!

#2354 11 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

just to clarify .. do you mean the flasher board thing under the posts / lane guide?

These may be ok as opposed to the spotlights which have a possibility of getting shorted by an air ball. Flipper gap seemed fine to me. Targets under ramp are visible, at least from my perspective. Multiball is easily achievable, though the sequense didnt wow me. I would say maybe i should play some more, but in all honesty, i have no desire to play this game again. I dont like the way the locked ball kicks out after you drain. It is essentially a ball save, and can make ball times extra long if you can keep a ball locked at all times.

#2355 11 months ago

Thanks for the photos. It looks bloody nice to me.

Quoted from Lysurgeon:

The game is clunky as hell, feels cheap as shit, and none of the shots feel good. The ball constantly gets stuck on the lock post. The middle ramp is flimsy and super thin, im guessing the ramp will be thicker and clear in the production version. The flipper buttons are very uncomfortable. This game needs a lot more work.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the comment "feels cheap as shit" is way off the mark. It felt far from cheap as shit when I played it. Anyone that has followed the development of Thunderbirds over the years and from previous comments made by those that have looked under the playfield can see it is made up of quality parts. It felt and looked solid to me when I played. Way off the mark on that one IMO.

It was a proto ramp when I played, so I can’t comment on that one. The flipper buttons do have a different feel, but you get used to it. Gameplay, like any machine, is each to their own and everyone will have a different opinion on that. Some will like it and others won’t. That is the nature of the beast.

#2356 11 months ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the comment "feels cheap as shit" is way off the mark. It felt far from cheap as shit when I played it. Anyone that has followed the development of Thunderbirds over the years and from previous comments made by those that have looked under the playfield can see it is made up of quality parts. It felt and looked solid to me when I played. Way off the mark on that one IMO.
It was a proto ramp when I played, so I can’t comment on that one. The flipper buttons do have a different feel, but you get used to it. Gameplay, like any machine, is each to their own and everyone will have a different opinion on that. Some will like it and others won’t. That is the nature of the beast.

One thing its a shit load cheaper than any other pinball on the market

#2357 11 months ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Have you been inside the machine and actually handled the parts with your own hands? Yes, the game feels cheap, and at 5432.10, it isnt much cheaper in price than a stern pro.

#2358 11 months ago

I wouldn't buy this pin because I couldn't stand to look at these faces for longer than a few seconds

TB (resized).PNG
#2359 11 months ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

...and at 5432.10, it isnt much cheaper in price than a stern pro.

I believe it is USD4999 in the US (see the ads at the bottom of this thread).

#2360 11 months ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Have you been inside the machine and actually handled the parts with your own hands? Yes, the game feels cheap, and at 5432.10, it isnt much cheaper in price than a stern pro.

I myself haven't been under the hood. There are those here on Pinside and on other forums that have. None of them have made any comment that it was cheap as shit. It certainly didn't feel or look that way when I played and examined the playfield with the glass off. Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

#2361 11 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

One thing its a shit load cheaper than any other pinball on the market

You get what you pay for I guess?

Oh I mean EVENTUALLY!

Sorry to the pre orderers who still haven't received their machine, I am a stirrer ( NOT TROLL ) and couldn't resist.

#2362 11 months ago

I see on FB that they have the supplies of boxes and plastic pallets,.. ready for first shipment,.. plus I guess we get a day off from nanny telling us the pins ain’t shipping still

#2363 11 months ago

Paint runs on the inside cabinet.. someone needs to "brush" up on their spraying technique

#2364 11 months ago

just got an update from Homepin,
has all the parts, but had to send some back
making pinball macchines is hard
no refunds
still no date on making games

#2365 11 months ago

I played this at the NW Pinball show and I thought it was a beautiful machine but I agree with one comment that the flippers were weak. I think if they can resolve the weak flippers it would be a great game. It has a lot to do and is certainly a cool nostalgic campy theme. I think for what you are seeing them priced for new in the USA it is very fair priced (under $5k) - just wish the flippers weren't so under powered.

But - hey - I have played Houdini and I think the same thing - beautiful machine (don't care for the magic themes personally) very weak flippers, kind of slow. It certainly has Homepin beat on the display but it is also not even close to $5k. I would not buy a Houdini but some day a Thunderbirds if they fix the flipper issue is certainly possible.

I think people trashing this game are being unfair - be patient a little doesn't seem like a scam like Aliens, TBL, Magic Girl or any of that crap.

#2366 11 months ago

Weak flippers are always an issue at shows and there are always complaints. Power is usually bad on the show floor.

Search all the threads on weak flippers for the last 5 years and they are all show machines.

It's not a coincidence, so don't judge a new machine based on this observation.

#2367 11 months ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Paint runs on the inside cabinet.. someone needs to "brush" up on their spraying technique

i had a look at the pics to see what you were on about and ohhh dear.. you're well correct.

#2368 11 months ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I played this at the NW Pinball show and I thought it was a beautiful machine but I agree with one comment that the flippers were weak. I think if they can resolve the weak flippers it would be a great game. It has a lot to do and is certainly a cool nostalgic campy theme. I think for what you are seeing them priced for new in the USA it is very fair priced (under $5k) - just wish the flippers weren't so under powered.
But - hey - I have played Houdini and I think the same thing - beautiful machine (don't care for the magic themes personally) very weak flippers, kind of slow. It certainly has Homepin beat on the display but it is also not even close to $5k. I would not buy a Houdini but some day a Thunderbirds if they fix the flipper issue is certainly possible.
I think people trashing this game are being unfair - be patient a little doesn't seem like a scam like Aliens, TBL, Magic Girl or any of that crap.

I own a Houdini and the flipper settings were too strong so I had to dial them back. I have 220amps in my basement. Speaking of American Pinball, they know that Pinball is hard, but shipped a machine is less than a year from prototype.

#2369 11 months ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Weak flippers are always an issue at shows and there are always complaints. Power is usually bad on the show floor.
Search all the threads on weak flippers for the last 5 years and they are all show machines.

I've heard the reason is to avoid breaking things at a show, the last thing you want in the impression that drops or plastics are breaking or jamming up the game so its down the rest of the show. I know Woz and Hobbit were that way, and got mashed on the forums, but once it was revealed they were adjustable and that the JJP guys had it set at 50% (no wonder you couldn't make the ramp!) then all the worries went away.

Bottom line - IMO don't worry about flipper strength on the production TAG.

#2370 11 months ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I've heard the reason is to avoid breaking things at a show, the last thing you want in the impression that drops or plastics are breaking or jamming up the game so its down the rest of the show. I know Woz and Hobbit were that way, and got mashed on the forums, but once it was revealed they were adjustable and that the JJP guys had it set at 50% (no wonder you couldn't make the ramp!) then all the worries went away.
Bottom line - IMO don't worry about flipper strength on the production TAG.

Precisely. I can't think of a single game that has gone to production in the last... ever that actually had weak flippers.

#2371 11 months ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I've heard the reason is to avoid breaking things at a show

I've heard that too, but think it's an urban legend. Broken plastics? Please. The games only get a couple of hundred plays and any machine is going to be able to take that usage. Do you really think JJP set up the Hobbit to not make the ramps? It was frustrating when I saw it, and way worse than a broken plastic or too.

I've taken several games to shows over the years and they never flip as well on the floor as they do at home. These new games are exacerbated because you don't have the ramp shots zeroed in, so you miss them more than you normally would.

#2372 11 months ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I own a Houdini and the flipper settings were too strong so I had to dial them back. I have 220amps in my basement.

220 amps!

Do you live in a power station?

rd

#2373 11 months ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I own a Houdini and the flipper settings were too strong so I had to dial them back. I have 220amps in my basement. Speaking of American Pinball, they know that Pinball is hard, but shipped a machine is less than a year from prototype.

That’s because American Pinball are not having to make the parts themselves. They are getting their parts shipped in from outside suppliers off the shelf. Homepin don't have that luxury. They have had to build the factory from the ground up and learn how to design and build the parts that make up the pinball machine. That takes time and money and more time.

#2374 11 months ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

That’s because American Pinball are not having to make the parts themselves. They are getting their parts shipped in from outside suppliers off the shelf. Homepin don't have that luxury. They have had to build the factory from the ground up and learn how to design and build the parts that make up the pinball machine. That takes time and money and more time.

Yes, but that's not something that happened out of the blue. it was a business decision. I bet you can buy all that stuff in Australia....

#2375 11 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

i had a look at the pics to see what you were on about and ohhh dear.. you're well correct.

Very sloppy work and a cardinal sin amongst professionals

#2376 11 months ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I played Houdini at the PNW show and at an arcade - both places I found the game to be a little slow, I thought the flippers were weak both times. The machine is beautiful, Houdini seemed top notch in its construction, really beautiful I just did not find it fun. Personal taste I guess - I just thought it was slow for a new machine.

I guess I like Thunderbirds theme better. The games are 2 different price points and I think from the looks of it - the machine looked good. I think for a new company to get a pinball built in including manufacturing it is better than dream theme machines like Aliens, TBL - that promised and never delivered. I think we should supportive of anyone trying but not foolish and buy a machine that will never get built because of license issues etc. I think the fact they are assembled in China and shipped around the world is amazing, it is building a company from the ground up.

Just seemed to be a good first effort - perfect no - but neither is Stern, JJP, Spooky, etc. Think split cabinets on brand new sterns when people critique paint runs etc.

Maybe I will get to play one in a non-show environment - maybe the flippers won't seem so under-powered.

#2377 11 months ago

@

The weak flippers at the show were due to improperly gapped EOS from the factory.
The sticking flipper issue at the show was due to "bad" flipper back stops.

Lysurgeon
The game does have a clunky feeling, reminds me of DataEast games.
The post issue on the right side is a software issue that has been fixed. The machine in Mville has not been updated.
It will be leaving soon to get some upgrades, both software and hardware.

I will say that for a company that has "re-invented" the wheel when it comes to parts production and software and given that this is their first Pinball machine, they could have done much worse. There are some aspects of the machine i do very much enjoy and some that need to be addressed though from a technical standpoint.

#2378 11 months ago

Just seemed to be a good first effort - perfect no - but neither is Stern, JJP, Spooky, etc. Think split cabinets on brand new sterns when people critique paint runs etc.

Its a display machine.. sent out to show the world what the company is capable of..its there for people to play and look over so they can judge for themselves.
Only the best should be sent out for this and so we can only assume that this is the best.

#2379 11 months ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Still better than a nib stern LE.

#2380 11 months ago

The best thing it has going for it compared to a lot of newer machines is that it is more end user serviceable. not a whole lot of SMD chips.

#2381 11 months ago
Quoted from Frantickoala:

The best thing it has going for it compared to a lot of newer machines is that it is more end user serviceable. not a whole lot of SMD chips.

the owner cannot update the software

#2382 11 months ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

the owner cannot update the software

There is a rumor that that might be changing.

#2383 11 months ago
Quoted from Frantickoala:

There is a rumor that that might be changing.

there is also a rumor they are shiping in 2015

#2384 11 months ago

there is also a rumor they are shiping in 2015

Another rumor that they will be selling outside of the Asian market. Lol

#2385 11 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Yes, but that's not something that happened out of the blue. it was a business decision. I bet you can buy all that stuff in Australia....

The machines are not being made in Australia....

#2386 11 months ago
Quoted from Micky:

The machines are not being made in Australia....

And even if they were, all the parts would have to be shipped from the USA.

And anything custom made in small runs would likely be hundreds of dollars per unit.

Just the reality of living down this neck of the woods.

rd

#2387 11 months ago

In Aus we are about to start getting slapped with gst on small value orders via ebay, Amazon etc soon,.. so getting stuff from the US is getting more expensive for owners,.. postage $ already terrible

#2388 11 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

And even if they were, all the parts would have to be shipped from the USA.
And anything custom made in small runs would likely be hundreds of dollars per unit.
Just the reality of living down this neck of the woods.
rd

Yes. But aren’t we talking about hundreds of dollars vs. years spent reinventing the wheel.

The question was about all the delay and , having to develop all the parts in China.
The delay is because they have to reinvent the flipper bushing....

A processs that I am sure is frustrating for everyone involved.

#2389 11 months ago
Quoted from Retropin:

i talked to mike about this and it was an interesting insight into how things work in china. The painter was ( obviously) a new inexperienced guy not a professional paint man.

If they hired a professional to be a 'painter' in china he would refuse to do anything else. They would basically have to pay him to sit and smoke until the next painting task was ready. Its not just painters, a "driver" for example will only drive.. you cant even get him to sweep the floor. Just read the paper until its time to drive somewhere.

Imagine trying that on here? then again with our unions it might just work

Obviously they know they have to do better work on the shipping machines than they did when they rushed out a show sample to get it shipped in time.

You're right that paint isnt good enough. It looks like i did it lol ..im kinda amused someone paints as badly as i do

#2390 11 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

i talked to mike about this and it was an interesting insight into how things work in china. The painter was ( obviously) a new inexperienced guy not a professional paint man.
If they hired a professional to be a 'painter' in china he would refuse to do anything else. They would basically have to pay him to sit and smoke until the next painting task was ready. Its not just painters, a "driver" for example will only drive.. you cant even get him to sweep the floor. Just read the paper until its time to drive somewhere.
Obviously they know they have to do better work on the shipping machines than they did when they rushed out a show sample to get it shipped in time.
You're right that paint isnt good enough. It looks like i did it lol ..im kinda amused someone paints as badly as i do

Yep.. less is more in these instances. We've all done it, as after all, spraying is quite enjoyable ( well I tend to like it anyway) and because of that, you tend to put too much on at once...or.. feel obliged to run the gun empty. You can see that its where the paint pooled in the flipper button hole and dribbled out. Not a biggy but shouldn't have passed any inspection IMO

#2391 11 months ago

I've heard that too, but think it's an urban legend. Broken plastics? Please. The games only get a couple of hundred plays and any machine is going to be able to take that usage. Do you really think JJP set up the Hobbit to not make the ramps? It was frustrating when I saw it, and way worse than a broken plastic or too.
I've taken several games to shows over the years and they never flip as well on the floor as they do at home. These new games are exacerbated because you don't have the ramp shots zeroed in, so you miss them more than you normally would.

Its true, Jack @ JJP told me personally

#2392 11 months ago

Well he personally told me the Hobbit was a great machine too...

I just don't get the logic. Weak flippers are an issue at shows already, why make it worse. Especially when trying to make a good first impression. Just bring a spare set of plastics if that's a concern.

I couldn't sell a machine once because the guy thought the flippers were weak and didn't believe I had just rebuilt them. It was his first machine so was really picky and didn't want to mess around trying to find a better circuit to test it on. Guess I'm just a little jaded about this issue.

#2393 11 months ago

Well he personally told me the Hobbit was a great machine too...
I just don't get the logic. Weak flippers are an issue at shows already, why make it worse. Especially when trying to make a good first impression. Just bring a spare set of plastics if that's a concern.
I couldn't sell a machine once because the guy thought the flippers were weak and didn't believe I had just rebuilt them. It was his first machine so was really picky and didn't want to mess around trying to find a better circuit to test it on. Guess I'm just a little jaded about this issue.

Its a business call I guess, strong flippers and perhaps break down machine/bad first impression, or weak settings that feel wimpy and can't make shots/ramps, that also risk bad first impression. I agree with you, normal settings should be used to emulate actual production play.

So, I don't agree with JJP decision on the wimpy flippers decision, Im just posting what I know what Jack's position taken for WoZ and TH on their prototypes at Chicago Expo and Midwest Gaming, (Which I think were debuts for both machines?). Not sure when Dialed IN was first revealed at a show. I know Pirates was Oct 2017 by Eric the designer at Chicago Pinball Expo. IIRC, the Pirates game was set to normal strength and felt strong flippers and solid shots, both at the reveal talk and on the vendor floor for the rest of the show.

#2394 11 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

I hope Mike knows about "compensation" when you let someone go. 1 month salary for every year employed....

#2395 10 months ago

This from Facebook:

An explanation of why EOS adjustment is important in a Homepin pinball machine. If not set correctly the flippers won't work correctly and will feel weak.

#2396 10 months ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

This from Facebook:
An explanation of why EOS adjustment is important in a Homepin pinball machine. If not set correctly the flippers won't work correctly and will feel weak.

Why not let Mike promote his machine?

the game is years overdue (and still no delivery date), he will not give refunds
let him do his own promotions

#2397 10 months ago

Why not let Mike promote his machine?
let him do his own promotions

I think we know why

#2398 10 months ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

This from Facebook:

Very interesting video,.. nice to see postive information being distributed.. neg nellies already squirming I see

#2399 10 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

220 amps!
Do you live in a power station?
rd

Ha! 220v/20amp.

#2400 10 months ago

he will not give refunds

Anyone wanting a refund just has to list their pre-order for sale. It isn't that hard really.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 3983 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 80.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside