Topic Stats

• 3,983 posts
  • 384 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 minutes ago by wiredoug
  • Topic is favorited by 171 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 749 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

truth (resized).jpg
screen-capture-8 (resized).png
rampage (resized).jpg
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 7.47.02 pm.png
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
99D1AA11-1443-414C-A49B-3B3177C76184 (resized).jpeg
59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg
2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg
868710A0-56BB-496C-BEDA-7BA0D66E4FB6 (resized).jpeg
dial2 (resized).jpeg
AFF856C8-B022-4091-B5B9-6C804FB42F87 (resized).png
8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg
D19AA2E9-F995-4396-81AD-9750E23E87BF (resized).jpeg
8AAFDB60-3AAD-4FB6-A920-94E6E6BEA833 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3983 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 80.
#1951 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

) You’re not the king of me.

Sorry, couldnt read any more after this opening line....reminds me of a kid saying "I know you are but what am I"

#1952 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Look I'm not trying to pick a fight but I respectfully disagree. Mike started his own Homepin official thread because he wanted people to talk about him and his company, adding a subheading of parts and progress doesn't mean people won't post other things in it. By that logic we need a separate thread for game reviews, price discussion, quality control, customer service etc. Pinside would be an absolute mess if that was the case. I can agree that some of the personal attacks have been a little grey, from Mike himself as well by the way, but if you run a company and start your own thread dedicated to said company than your behavior is fair game.

I'm just surprised at all the personal vitriol. (Not necessarily directed at you, but in general) People don't like TAG for one reason or another, fair enough. I understand that there are people who dislike Mike for one reason or another. Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But I don't understand why some people feel the need to make completely unconstructive and unnecessary comments in a Homepin thread. What's that old saying: If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it...yes well that doesn't always apply, but perhaps just a little more of that sentiment would be nice from time to time. Negativity breeds contempt.

#1953 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Quite a few people will be happy when the topper domes are available, my understanding is that they are the same as WH20/FT

Absolutely. My White Water is missing the topper, so perhaps one day there is hope that I might be able to cobble together the parts to install one later.

#1954 1 year ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Absolutely. My White Water is missing the topper, so perhaps one day there is hope that I might be able to cobble together the parts to install one later.

LSOG has them in stock right now, a bit pricey but better than no dome at all...
http://littleshopofgames.com/product/topper-dome-fish-taleswhitewater-clear/

I just have a feeling mikes will be less expensive...

#1955 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Sorry, couldnt read any more after this opening line....reminds me of a kid saying "I know you are but what am I"

Too bad. One of my favorite lines. Good thing I’m not looking to be supported by Seinfeld fans. I’m only interested in appealing to Cheers and MASH fans.

#1956 1 year ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Because some of us who live in the great land down under, know the man by nature of our associations. You can only make judgements based on words on a page. We on the other hand have broken bread with the man, shared a drink, held a face to face conversation. I think that due to our dealings in person with the man, we understand his idiosyncrasies and can better understand him as a person, rather than him as text on a screen.

Yep.. and as a person he has no problems telling someone to " go F**" themselves and as a person he has no qualms displaying his personality on the screen for the world to read... as a person he has no issues telling everyone on here that he doesn't give a F**k when he gets caught plagiarising someone elses design DESPITE being expressly told not to use it. He's even off AA because he could no longer weasel out of the backlash his actions have caused.
Idiosyncrasies are such cute personality traits aren't they?

It was suggested a few years back that he really shouldn't be doing his own PR work as he is his own worst enemy where that is concerned. At least now he is off the forums, this will all settle down and the machine(s) when they start coming out will do all the talking required.
But to paint him as some poor misunderstood soul is laughable.

#1957 1 year ago

see this is why we cant have nice things... you lot just cant be trusted to behave and discuss the updates not bang on and on about crap

#1958 1 year ago
Quoted from Retropin:

But to paint him as some poor misunderstood soul is laughable.

^^ hes right... mikes a right character and hes a victim of his own undoing... but we cant carry on and see updates here unless various other bell ends stfu as well

#1959 1 year ago

What updates are you expecting Wiredoug?

The machine has been unveiled, Mike is working on a few alterations that will not affect the look

Only update I am looking forward to is when he announces that production has started on customers game
(Which won't be for another six months)

#1960 1 year ago

What I find funny is that the aussies are for the most part, protecting and sticking up for him when he doesn’t even have allegiance to his own people. You guys are acting like mike and this game are some kind of national treasure just because he’s Australian. You should be asking yourself why he farmed out cheap labor in a communist country instead of employing his fellow countryman like every other pinball company does. That would be something worth a level of admiration. Instead the only thing tying Mike and homepin to Australia at this point is his accent and the place that issued his birth certificate.

Misplaced pride is worse than none at all.

#1961 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

he farmed out cheap labor in a communist country

Calling China a communist country is quite a stretch these days.

#1962 1 year ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Calling China a communist country is quite a stretch these days.

How about calling it a slave mill? I guess communist is a bad description. More like totalitarian kleptocracy?

#1963 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

What I find funny is that the aussies are for the most part, protecting and sticking up for him when he doesn’t even have allegiance to his own people. You guys are acting like mike and this game are some kind of national treasure just because he’s Australian. You should be asking yourself why he farmed out cheap labor in a communist country instead of employing his fellow countryman like every other pinball company does. That would be something worth a level of admiration. Instead the only thing tying Mike and homepin to Australia at this point is his accent and the place that issued his birth certificate.
Misplaced pride is worse than none at all.

You have never tried to manufacture in Australia. The costs are exorbitant. It's quite simple, there would be no Homepin if Mike had to manufacture in this Country.

Australia has virtually no manufacturing anymore. A good example is our Automotive industry which just closed its last Holden factory this month. It was an end of an era for motor vehicle manufacture in this country and a very sad day indeed.

#1964 1 year ago

" I am Groot "
shit, wrong thread

#1965 1 year ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

You have never tried to manufacture in Australia. The costs are exorbitant. It's quite simple, there would be no Homepin if Mike had to manufacture in this Country.
Australia has virtually no manufacturing anymore. A good example is our Automotive industry which just closed its last Holden factory this month. It was an end of an era for motor vehicle manufacture in this country and a very sad day indeed.

Explain it away any way you want but the US is horrid for manufacturers. High Corp tax rate, unions, federal and local municipalities with their hands in the pot, etc. There are always ways. And Holden closed because the cars were shit. They made their way here rebranded and they were utter garbage.

#1966 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Explain it away any way you want but the US is horrid for manufacturers. High Corp tax rate, unions, federal and local municipalities with their hands in the pot, etc. There are always ways. And Holden closed because the cars were shit. They made their way here rebranded and they were utter garbage.

Rubbish. The Holden Commodore was an absolute classic mate. Top quality, Australian engineered from the ground up, and very well built motor vehicles.

F.Y.I - The CHEVROLET CAMARO is AUSTRALIAN engineered by HOLDEN.

Back to pinball...wages are the killer with minimum wage almost $700 per week + 9.5% Superannuation. And employers pay much more than that for skilled labour. So there goes 500k in wages per annum for a staff of 10. And rent, you would expect to pay $150,000 per annum for the kind of warehouse space here required to build a pinball machine. And that doesn't factor in tooling, insurance and all the rest. So let's say $700k total in expenses per year. When you factor in cost of materials per machine and the profit margin, that is a shitload of pinball machines you would need to sell to break even. I'm sorry but the math doesn't add up.

#1967 1 year ago

images (resized).jpg

#1968 1 year ago

Where is the "I'm scratching my head" emoji when I need one. I don't get the meme?

#1969 1 year ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

Well as we know it is their first time. Its obvious they have made mistakes, blunders, errors and outright monumental cockups in the process..
Without dwelling on it, it seems reasonable to suggest that they were focused a little too much on building the actual line ( the machines that make the machines) rather than dwelling on the layout and now they have the dangler but the 'angle of the dangle' is all wrong.
Maybe they didnt get it right first time ( sure doesnt seem that way) but I think its good they have acknowledged the faults and listened to the people who played it at the show and are now going back to 'do it better' instead of saying "well screw it, sorry pre-order guys you lose".. thats a constructive path i think?
Its mike.. dumbass determination will save it in the end.

Yes, Mike is a manufacturing guy and not a designer. I bet the design came from Mike and one or more of the Chinese engineers working with him. Sure the game has flaws but it can be fixed. I would push the ramp back a little and add more shots. The Mole shot can easily be made into a scoop...etc.

#1970 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

The US has cheap labour, and little regulation, plus vastly cheaper land. Australia has none of those things.

Well, there is some cheap land, but certainly nowhere you'd base a reasonably complex assembly, engineering and manufacturing facility with remotely reasonable infrastructure.

You'd also be looking at much higher transport rates and longer lead times for containers going to the US and Europe. Plus many raw materials would be a lot more expensive.

Re: corporate tax in the US. It's not much lower in Australia, much more difficult to avoid, and it's also the last thing any start up cares about, as you only pay it when you make a profit.

#1971 1 year ago

Australia still has alot of engineering & manufacturing and maybe not as cheap as China but anything is possible. Australia makes cnc machinery, light aircraft, furniture, kitchens, mining products and a crap load more. Yes to get press tooling may not be the cheapest here but with the right people it can be designed & made in the first go with some possible minor tweaks to components in that tool. Having 2-3 attempts at tooling and still not 100% ends up costing the same in the end.

Yes China may have cheaper labour but at some point that will rise and then that approach may be regretted. And their materials are questionable as many Aus companies are aware of the impurities in alot of the metals and starting to steer away from the Chinese rubbish backyarders

#1972 1 year ago

just trying to gage Pinside members' ethics (select, not all) ....

Mad Amusement allegedly steals from Rest-of-World, and Americans-buyers were like 'meh', not my problem ...

Homepin allegedly steals IP from Ben Heck, and rest-of-world, goes 'meh', so what, throw another shrimp on the barbie, "Where's my Thunderbirds!"

got it.

#1973 1 year ago

I’ve never heard of Mad Amusements until now. What did they allegedly do and is it as bad as allegedly stealing all of someone’s work claiming it is your own.

#1974 1 year ago

Manufacturing in Australia can be done, but it is no where as cheap as China. However Australian made stuff is good quality and in my opinion a proper set up/line in which skilled labour is reduced and can be run efficiently would be profitable.

Saving months in getting stuff right the first time is worth a lot of money.

And my family owned and fan a successful manufacturing business that turned raw materials to custom products. (Timber./ aluminium windows). We had the right machines and set up so we were competitive and efficient.

It is tough in Australia with our high wages and regulations, but it can still be done.

#1975 1 year ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I’ve never heard of Mad Amusements until now. What did they allegedly do and is it as bad as allegedly stealing all of someone’s work claiming it is your own.

Just search mad amusements here. Plenty of reading.
Here's the readers digest version. He has some good parts and service is ok. In US you will probably get your parts. If you are non US good luck. Will make you pay in a way you can't get your money back and will never ship items. Has the "you can't do anything about it" mind set.

#1976 1 year ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

just trying to gage Pinside members' ethics (select, not all) ....
Mad Amusement allegedly steals from Rest-of-World, and Americans-buyers were like 'meh', not my problem ...
Homepin allegedly steals IP from Ben Heck, and rest-of-world, goes 'meh', so what, throw another shrimp on the barbie, "Where's my Thunderbirds!"
got it.

Not sure what you’re talking about. No one buys from MAD even in the states. Super sketchy. From what I’ve heard mike @ mad is also a degenerate lotto player.

#1977 1 year ago

This from Homepin Facebook for those that are still interested in the production of TAG:

Another thing that we learned from Pinfest, after one machine had 600 plays, was the flipper coils were overheating. This was traced to the software not being able to process the EOS switch action fast enough on every flip. We had originally intended to fit a flipper control board but decided that it wasn't required.

Now we have fitted that board to each flipper they are autonomous and the coil overheating problem has completely disappeared. (this picture shows our prototype board fitted NOT the finished board - we will now assemble up some final boards for production and modify the wiring harness accordingly).

IMG_1432 (resized).JPG

#1978 1 year ago

And this from Homepin Facebook:

We found it quite difficult to get the lane switch adjusted "just right" so decided to replace it with an opto. Now it is rock solid reliable.

IMG_1433 (resized).JPG

IMG_1434 (resized).JPG

#1979 1 year ago

due to facebook having a complete disregard for customer service. homepin isnt able to fix the fact he has lost access to his FB page in a recent change.

so if you're a FB user please unlike / delete / ignore remove this old page - https://www.facebook.com/HomepinPinball/

and replace it with this one - https://www.facebook.com/homepin.factory/

NOTE - the NEW page is https://www.facebook.com/homepin.factory/ the old one is abandoned - no one has access to update it.

#1980 1 year ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

This from Homepin Facebook for those that are still interested in the production of TAG:
Another thing that we learned from Pinfest, after one machine had 600 plays, was the flipper coils were overheating. This was traced to the software not being able to process the EOS switch action fast enough on every flip. We had originally intended to fit a flipper control board but decided that it wasn't required.
Now we have fitted that board to each flipper they are autonomous and the coil overheating problem has completely disappeared. (this picture shows our prototype board fitted NOT the finished board - we will now assemble up some final boards for production and modify the wiring harness accordingly).

Thought the figures were 596 games over both machines..

#1981 1 year ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Thought the figures were 596 games over both machines..

Only one pin was running.

#1982 1 year ago

Can we hit pause on this thread until the game ships next year?

#1983 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Can we hit pause on this thread until the game ships next year?

And when is this shipping date?

Id love it if Mike would get back online, learn to ignore the trolls, and keep us up to date on TAGs refinements

#1984 1 year ago

He's got plenty of people making updates on his behalf. If anything important is going on I'm sure that someone will update the thread but right now there just isn't anything to report.

#1985 1 year ago

Looks like the prototype playfield image has printed inserts on the graphics just like my machine's ,MC and SWDSO.
So you dont see the actual inserts.
Correct or not? because i don't see the real inserts.

And it looks like there is a extra layer (epoxy) over it, if you look close at the side of the playfield.
And on top a mylar.

Looks like he used my idea of making playfields .

#1986 1 year ago

Apparently the playfield is a Whitewood with inserts (and probably water base cleared) and then a 1-1.5mm polycarbonate like material with the underside printed with the playfield design

Would be interested to know how it looks after a 1000 plays, the polycarbonate might become a useable item

#1987 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

Apparently the playfield is a Whitewood with inserts (and probably water base cleared) and then a 1-1.5mm polycarbonate like material with the underside printed with the playfield design
Would be interested to know how it looks after a 1000 plays, the polycarbonate might become a useable item

Maybe, but why is there a extra mylar on top then.

#1988 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Maybe, but why is there a extra mylar on top then.

I am pretty sure they forgot to remove the protective plastic

#1989 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

Does it just sit there or is it glued down? Placing 2 sheets on top of each other so they sit loosely often leads to "sweating" between the layers... its a no no in the sign trade

#1990 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

I am pretty sure they forgot to remove the protective plastic

Yes you're right. They just didn't remove it before the show.

#1991 1 year ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Does it just sit there or is it glued down? Placing 2 sheets on top of each other so they sit loosely often leads to "sweating" between the layers... its a no no in the sign trade

pretty sure it is just one sheet of a polycarb type material with the art printed on the underside and the ball rolls on the top side, then in theory the back of the printed side sits on the whitewood playfield.

and yes I think it sits there not glued down and I then wondered myself if the polycarb sheet shifts a little back and forth with ball movement that the art could be scratched or if like you say moisture gets in between that it might do weird things

#1992 1 year ago

looks like this, my home made playfields.

1 playfield with inserts.
2 sticker with glue.
3 layer epoxy to flaten the playfield and to give it high gloss.
4 Macrolon mylar on top (not on this pic)

IMG_20170403_170544 (resized).jpg

#1993 1 year ago

I am happy that Mike is currently no longer on Pinside or AA

Mikes time is better spent building Pinball Machines and Pinball components than pandering over bullshit gossip.
He is a talented and gifted professional, it is sad his mouth brings him unstuck.

Personally I am extremely disappointed about the alleged Plagiarism
Fortunately Ben Heck is such a gentleman.

For Homepin to succeed a more concerted effort to produce Pinball machines that competes with world class competition is required.

So far........ theme is great, execution is poor, pr attitude stinks.
Social media is to much of a crazy distraction these days

I am a proud Australian and kindly ask that any animosity between any of our great nations be forgone.

We are all awesome pinball fanatics worldwide , USA, Australia, Europe, Asia, Worldwide

There are some really cool pinball people in Australia.

Pinball is the best !

Cheers,
Ando

happy (resized).JPG

#1994 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

This is awesome. How different is this from the approach that Sonic took with their playfields back in the day?

Most of those are basically mint/perfect to this day. Damned near indestructible, which is a reason you'll never see Stern (or Williams/Bally back then) adopt them.

#1995 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

This sounds very similar to the Hardtop playfield overlays. Initial reviews have been really good, but I'm not sure any of these have gotten 1000s of plays yet to see how they are holding up. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included

1 week later
#1996 1 year ago

This from Homepin's Facebook:

We are almost finished the updating of Thunderbirds playfield plastics. Many small changes, some minor, some major. Many changes because we have shifted things around on the playfield based on our feedback from Pinfest and Brisbane showings.

IMG_8812 (resized).JPG

#1997 1 year ago

PinSinner,. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

#1999 1 year ago

AUD$10k by xmas 20--?
ha ha

1 week later
#2000 1 year ago

mike from home pin makes a alias account on aussie arcade to attack the admin and gets exposed

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 3983 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 80.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside