Untitled (resized).png
hplockbar (resized).jpg
hpbuttons (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_121939 (resized).jpg
16178194 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 91.
#1651 6 years ago
Quoted from lemonski:

Since you said "a plane made in the last decade..[]..all use pc “components” and Linux", which I take it includes any plane one would commonly fly on, if I pull out all the critical avionics of a Boeing or Airbus, I would find lots of PC components and Linux?

Lucky you don't fly on those planes from the 80s, I heard they ran on ZX81s with the 16k memory packs!

Took about an hour to upload the flight plan on the tape drive. And god forbid if you tapped the memory pack.

rd

#1652 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Lucky you don't fly on those planes from the 80s, I heard they ran on ZX81s with the 16k memory packs!
Took about an hour to upload the flight plan on the tape drive. And god forbid if you tapped the memory pack.
rd

I prefer to fly Apple II airlines myself. I hear they have 40x40 instrumentation for the pilots, in 16 different colours. You can even have 40x48 if you twiddle a certain control, but you lose your airspeed indicator in the process.

#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from lemonski:

I prefer to fly Apple II airlines myself. I hear they have 40x40 instrumentation for the pilots, in 16 different colours.

Colours??? Phhhzzzt!!

rd

IMG_7153 (resized).JPGIMG_7153 (resized).JPG

#1654 6 years ago
Quoted from lemonski:

Since you said "a plane made in the last decade..[]..all use pc “components” and Linux", which I take it includes any plane one would commonly fly on, if I pull out all the critical avionics of a Boeing or Airbus, I would find lots of PC components and Linux?

On both the 787 and 737max yes you would.

And the a320neo as well.

In fact Boeing is one of the largest procurers of m.2 drives and soaks up tons of DDR3 (still).

#1655 6 years ago

Pinball ------------------- Airplanes ------------------ZX81 ? how the hell did we get here?
Typical HOMEPIN thread ha ha ha ha

#1656 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

On both the 787 and 737max yes you would.
And the a320neo as well.
In fact Boeing is one of the largest procurers of m.2 drives and soaks up tons of DDR3 (still).

It's rather disingenuous to say that they use stock PC parts.

They use stuff intended for embedded use, which is vastly more expensive, and theoretically reliable than the standard consumer or even enterprise stuff. The display controllers particularly.

#1657 6 years ago

If a pinball machine crashes no one dies... hehe

#1658 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

They use stuff intended for embedded use, which is vastly more expensive, and theoretically reliable than the standard consumer or even enterprise stuff. The display controllers particularly.

That is factually untrue but what would I know. I only fly the damn things

#1659 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

And redundancy, lots of redundancy.

#1660 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

TAG IP holders won't be happy that their license is running on a dubiously legal platform. The issue here is (I believe) the 'non-commerical' clause in the license Ben linked to:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
My crystal ball is telling me we'll see a response from Mike in the next couple of weeks along the lines of:
'It was a prototype, that's what we cobbled together to get it running but delivered hardware will be completely different'

I'm no laywer, and don't play one on tv, but, to be fair, no TAG machines have been delivered to any customers as of yet, so a commercial transaction has yet to occur. Thus, no license violation, correct?

In addition, I'm not up on whether this license would apply in Australia or not. In any case, if the board design was based on Ben's open-source version, then a proper accredidation should be made before or at the time of the first commercial sale of the game.

Quoted from benheck:

Regarding swapping chips. The game code is embedded on flash INSIDE the PIC32, which is a surface mount IC with 100 tiny pins.

At the Vancouver PinOut talk Mike said that the process for updating SW would be that same as that for any WPC game, swap out a socketed chip. While not ideal, it's not like I'm not doing that all the time with my WPC, classic Bally, etc. games. Certainly not as user friendly as it could be, but not a deal breaker for a lot of people familiar with pinball either.

I have no idea if this approach has actually been realized in the HW design yet, or if Mike is responding to the negative response he received after the the Head 2 Head interview aired and made it sound like you'd have to swap the entire board to upgrade the sw.

#1661 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

No. It's not.

As an example, AMD launched their latest series of embedded display controllers (aimed at aviation among other things) days ago.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/embedded-g-series

Good luck finding those or similar competing products in a 'PC'.

#1662 6 years ago

Speaking as someone who's fairly non tech savvy I don't think that I've understood anything in this thread for 2 pages or so lol.

#1663 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Speaking as someone who's fairly non tech savvy I don't think that I've understood anything in this thread for 2 pages or so lol.

New planes run on Commodore 64, the ones 10 years old run on the Vic 20. Geez, keep up man.

#1664 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Pinball ------------------- Airplanes ------------------ZX81 ? how the hell did we get here?
Typical HOMEPIN thread ha ha ha ha

Typical Pinside thread you mean...?

#1665 6 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Typical Pinside thread you mean...?

No Dude, any Forum.

#1666 6 years ago

Likely why they didn't want to sell in the USA in the first place. Someone here would find out what they were doing easier.

#1667 6 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Likely why they didn't want to sell in the USA in the first place. Someone here would find out what they were doing easier.

#1668 6 years ago

if you have a official thread and launch a pinball, it pays to then respond to questions, concerns, ideas - if you don't threads like this will turn to crap...

#1669 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

If a pinball machine crashes no one dies... hehe

Not true. What if they’re stacked on top of one another and then the top one falls on a person? The weight of one of these things would crush your skull.

#1670 6 years ago

My blood pressure jumps to unsafe levels every time my Spike 2 game crashes. Does that count?

#1671 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

My blood pressure jumps to unsafe levels every time my Spike 2 game crashes. Does that count?

Doesn’t help this thread!

#1672 6 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Doesn’t help this thread!

True, but I think this thread is beyond help already.

#1673 6 years ago

anyone got a recipe for blueberry pancakes?

#1674 6 years ago

Just remember though for any of you aussies and kiwis who buy one of these; you are knowingly supporting potential IP theft.

#1675 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Just remember though for any of you aussies and kiwis who buy one of these; you are knowingly supporting potential victims IP theft.

grouse.. we can file that next to untold movies, cd, dvd, books and pinball paperwork ( well played gtb) ...

spin the record it again I dont think its quite broken yet.

#1676 6 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

anyone got a recipe for blueberry pancakes?

Got a really nice apple slice recipe if that's any help

#1677 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Just remember though for any of you aussies and kiwis who buy one of these; you are knowingly supporting potential IP theft.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#1678 6 years ago

I feel like if you ever created something and someone stole from you that you might.

#1679 6 years ago

Edit...nevermind I didnt come here to argue

#1680 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I feel like if you ever created something and someone stole from you that you might.

...the IP was released under an open source license. No commerical deliveries have occurred yet, so there is no "IP theft" at this point. However, there is an attempt to slander Homepin. If you've ever been slandered on the internet by someone, you might be more careful with your words.

#1681 6 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks it looks better than JJP Pirates which has NO palm trees on the playfield anywhere?!

#1682 6 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Am I the only one who thinks it looks better than JJP Pirates which has NO palm trees on the playfield anywhere?!

Yes

#1683 6 years ago

My money is on that is the final hardware or very close and is the final software or very close.

Why would you ever build a system like that for testing just to completely start again for production (you wouldn't)

Be very interesting to see what the official answer is.

#1684 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

My money is on that is the final hardware or very close and is the final software or very close.
Why would you ever build a system like that for testing just to completely start again for production (you wouldn't)

What if the official answer is <silence>...

#1685 6 years ago

Be upto BenHeck to take it further (if production games use same system)

#1686 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Didn't you know we are all a bunch of pirates down here.

JJP has picked the right theme for us matey.

#1687 6 years ago
Quoted from lemonski:

You would find NO PC hardware! I work for one of the largest suppliers of avionics that go in virtually every Boeing and Airbus. It's all custom hardware. There may be some Linux but still not much. Most safety critical systems use either no OS or a realtime OS like Wind River. Perhaps some of the DAL Level E systems like entertainment systems might use some PC hardware but I doubt it.

For a pinball machine, PC hardware (a cheap SBC) seems to be a logical choice in some cases.

#1688 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

I've worked with the 737MAX program - we provide a lot of the content on that flight deck. I doubt you would find any PC hardware inside flight deck - at least for any safety critical systems. Its all custom built embedded stuff that has considerable constraints on size, weight and power. Maybe Garmin does on their lower end stuff for smaller planes - again, I would be surprised. It has to be custom built to withstand rigors and functionality that off the shelf PC hardware can't handle.

#1689 6 years ago

Soooooooooo...how bout' them Yankees?

#1690 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

...If you've ever been slandered on the internet by someone, you might be more careful with your words.

You know this because I slander you and your STTNG in public. All. The. Time.

#1691 6 years ago

You would think any reasonable pinball company would approach another pinball company and ask to use their hardware under a licence fee or arrangement to help develop the hardware.

Didnt Bally sue Stern in the early days for copying their Systems.

History repeating it self.

I think it is a bad business decision to rip off the Benheck system. If that is the case.

Why not just copy the old williams system. Better still use proc or fastpinball.

Seems a dumb move.

I really hope Mike uses a different system. This board swap idea is not ideal.

Mike early on wanted these boards servicable. So no pc based stuff.
But after seeing what jjp can do with pc based stuff . It seems so last century to not be using a pc.

#1692 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

My money is with yours. Mike has been emphasizing that it is a PROTOTYPE ( uppercase = emphasis) on another forum but there is no point displaying a machine like this unless the finish was very close. It has also been stated that the game is 99% completed and if we are to believe what we are told ( LOL) then what you see is pretty much what you get.

#1693 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

...the IP was released under an open source license. No commerical deliveries have occurred yet, so there is no "IP theft" at this point. However, there is an attempt to slander Homepin. If you've ever been slandered on the internet by someone, you might be more careful with your words.

Since you seem to be an authority on the matter, please explain. Why so vague?

#1694 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Since you seem to be an authority on the matter, please explain. Why so vague?

He obviously doesn’t understand how open source licensing works. Open source does not allow people to just steal shit. Credit needs to be given and any core modifications need to be released and made public.

Neither of which have occurred. Thus it’s theft.

#1695 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

You would find NO PC hardware! I work for one of the largest suppliers of avionics that go in virtually every Boeing and Airbus. It's all custom hardware. There may be some Linux but still not much. Most safety critical systems use either no OS or a realtime OS like Wind River. Perhaps some of the DAL Level E systems like entertainment systems might use some PC hardware but I doubt it.
For a pinball machine, PC hardware (a cheap SBC) seems to be a logical choice in some cases.

Thanks for this - I seriously had not thought that any large aircraft would use PC based hardware anywhere, and when I read the comment thought that was the last time I got into a plane (just flew around the country last week). Very happy to hear that, as I expected, embedded stuff is the way of things.

#1696 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Thanks - that's what I had read, Linux especially seems like a very difficult thing to certify for safety-critical systems - obviously complete BS that it's everywhere in every modern plane then.

#1697 6 years ago

What is the hardware in planes? Like all avionic certified FPGA's or something? Like you get special automotive certified components for cars.

#1698 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

He obviously doesn’t understand how open source licensing works. Open source does not allow people to just steal shit. Credit needs to be given and any core modifications need to be released and made public.

I agree. Pretty much going to be on Heck’s side of any argument. He’s kinda smart if you haven’t noticed.

#1699 6 years ago

Sounds like it should be renamed Thunderturds as its made in China where they steal copyright from everyone ?

#1700 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

You need to start using the word "allegedly". You should start using it, because at this point your comments are close to becoming slanderous IMO.

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.