Untitled (resized).png
hplockbar (resized).jpg
hpbuttons (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_121939 (resized).jpg
16178194 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 91.
#1451 6 years ago

Are there any shots of the playfield with the glass off? The glare makes it impossible to see much detail. It could really use some pdi glass.

#1452 6 years ago

Well, to be fair I think it may be a bit easy for advanced players. I have to see more to be sure.

#1453 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Ummm... yeah, LED lights are shiny, but...
Watch it again...
Ball gets hung up in there *twice* when the balls have plenty of velocity... Yikes.
I do like how the output from the ramp can be: 1. rollover lanes -or- an 2. orbit...
-mof

That ramp is still a proto ramp and not a production ramp. Still needs refining.

#1454 6 years ago

Maybe by the end of the weekend an advanced player might actually try it.

#1455 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

That ramp is still a proto ramp and not a production ramp. Still needs refining.

They could make it like that jump ramp on No Fear and of you don't make it, it just drops into the pop bumpers.

#1456 6 years ago

the team appears to be:
Lead Programming - Edy Wang
Beta Programmer - Mr X and Nailbomb
Art - Federico & Grant
? Management & Sound Effects - Edy Wang
Electronics & Mechanical Assemblies - Mike Kalinowski, Sid & Edy Wang
Team Leader & Translator - Amanda
A Terry Anderson Production

#1457 6 years ago

So did Mike design the layout?

#1458 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

From menory he mentioned in some interviews that he had numerous engineers design. Watching the video a few times, the dead balls going up the centre ramp actually catch air. Mike must have known as there's a little metal bracket in that exact spot. Any airball seems to hit this and come back down. I'm sure he will have it sorted.

#1459 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

a while ago it was stated somewhere that it was a well known aussie pinball designer but in a recent podcast stated one team did the initial design and then went to some other aussie guys.

#1460 6 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

there's a little metal bracket in that exact spot.

Yeah after I watched it again I saw that bracket get hit. Still looks like it'll be a fun game to shoot once it all gets sorted out.

#1461 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah after I watched it again I saw that bracket get hit. Still looks like it'll be a fun game to shoot once it all gets sorted out.

Yeah it was such a weird reaction I thought maybe the centre ramp came up and the ball hit the pops. It will be a blast to shoot.

#1462 6 years ago

It's going to get air there for sure. Fronthand or backhand.

#1463 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe by the end of the weekend an advanced player might actually try it.

RGR (aka Richard Rhodes ex #1 Aussie player) has taken some video of him playing it on his private Facebook page. I'm sure he will post it here in the next day or so.

rd

#1464 6 years ago

Well, you know me Dave. I'm never in that much a hurry. I'm just happy for the scraps.

#1465 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, you know me Dave. I'm never in that much a hurry. I'm just happy for the scraps.

You're always in a hurry for another Jack and coke!!

I'll be at your place in 3 weeks, I'll bring some jack.

rd

#1466 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Looks great until I get to that orange eye sore. This is 2017, that display should absolutely be color.

a standard orange display wont stop me buying a pinball machine. critical of the display ?

thats the least of my concerns. if i like the theme and flips well.... im interested.

#1467 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You're always in a hurry for another Jack and coke!!

Sucks when the ice is running low.

Quoted from rotordave:

I'll be at your place in 3 weeks, I'll bring some jack.

I'll be stocking up on the ice!

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sucks when the ice is running low

He's down in Texas.

rd

#1470 6 years ago

IF? that video was to bait " trolls " like me, I took the hook.
I hate seeing good players play as it is soooooo surely someone has a better video than that?
Not encouraged YET! keep going

#1471 6 years ago

I got to play Thunderbirds today at Pinfest during the afternoon session.
When it first opened the 2 tags were not turned on. Thought Damn was hoping we were going to get to play them as Mike had said they were going to be playable on his FB posts previously.
Went and played some other pins and then about half hour in I noticed they were turned on. The one with the topper had an out of order posted on the glass. But i managed to play the other one. I’ve attached photos of when it was off then turned on later.
I own a Homepin Hankin arcade table and love it. When I purchased it a few years ago I was told they were also making this Pinball. And that you could preorder it for $5432.10 but unfortunately the pre order period had finished.
For years I followed the Facebook posts with occasionally commenting on them. Also the posts on here Pinside but without commenting. I really felt for the very lows that Mike had been thru and understood the reason for delays. I really really wanted to love this game and to purchase it. BUT...
After playing it I am no longer disappointed that I missed out on the preorder and that Mike didn’t open it up for any more deposits along the way. Unfortunately I won’t be buying it as it is.
The pin looks great, I loved the whole look of it, until I stepped in front of the Playfield. To me it felt so dated and not just years dated but decades. And then I started to play it, I just didn’t like it at all. The middle ramp is just to close to the flippers. The flippers are far to wide apart especially with that ramp being so close. I get not all pins need to have a flow, but those that don’t usually have some kind of frantic feel about them. This has neither.
What I did love about it other than the look of the pin was when you first launch the pinball it goes in like a figure 8 sort of flow around the middle. But that was about it. I’m sure underneath it’s greatly engineered but above the playfield it does not come across as a well designed Pin.
I so wanted to love it and purchase it and support Mike. I wanted to brag how I got play it to you guys, but I can’t. It’s not for me. I hope I’m on my own with this opinion and it’s a great success. I plan to get one of Homepins Homeboy arcade machines to go with my Hankin cocktail and will support Mike that way. Maybe the next pin I’ll enjoy.

A033BDF7-BD0D-401F-94EF-AA11C9791A36 (resized).jpegA033BDF7-BD0D-401F-94EF-AA11C9791A36 (resized).jpeg

68D3C291-31FA-47E3-9AE6-57307C34D7B0 (resized).jpeg68D3C291-31FA-47E3-9AE6-57307C34D7B0 (resized).jpeg

F0B7794D-5863-49CE-BA61-457298F35F2D (resized).jpegF0B7794D-5863-49CE-BA61-457298F35F2D (resized).jpeg

E063D8C6-0559-4764-AD57-1517D6E97924 (resized).jpegE063D8C6-0559-4764-AD57-1517D6E97924 (resized).jpeg

96B6D889-CED5-423B-8EF5-2303CFD202CD (resized).jpeg96B6D889-CED5-423B-8EF5-2303CFD202CD (resized).jpeg

#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from Kombi:

I got to play Thunderbirds today at Pinfest during the afternoon session.
When it first opened the 2 tags were not turned on. Thought Damn was hoping we were going to get to play them as Mike had said they were going to be playable on his FB posts previously.
Went and played some other pins and then about half hour in I noticed they were turned on. The one with the topper had an out of order posted on the glass. But i managed to play the other one. I’ve attached photos of when it was off then turned on later.
I own a Homepin Hankin arcade table and love it. When I purchased it a few years ago I was told they were also making this Pinball. And that you could preorder it for $5432.10 but unfortunately the pre order period had finished.
For years I followed the Facebook posts with occasionally commenting on them. Also the posts on here Pinside but without commenting. I really felt for the very lows that Mike had been thru and understood the reason for delays. I really really wanted to love this game and to purchase it. BUT...
After playing it I am no longer disappointed that I missed out on the preorder and that Mike didn’t open it up for any more deposits along the way. Unfortunately I won’t be buying it as it is.
The pin looks great, I loved the whole look of it, until I stepped in front of the Playfield. To me it felt so dated and not just years dated but decades. And then I started to play it, I just didn’t like it at all. The middle ramp is just to close to the flippers. The flippers are far to wide apart especially with that ramp being so close. I get not all pins need to have a flow, but those that don’t usually have some kind of frantic feel about them. This has neither.
What I did love about it other than the look of the pin was when you first launch the pinball it goes in like a figure 8 sort of flow around the middle. But that was about it. I’m sure underneath it’s greatly engineered but above the playfield it does not come across as a well designed Pin.
I so wanted to love it and purchase it and support Mike. I wanted to brag how I got play it to you guys, but I can’t. It’s not for me. I hope I’m on my own with this opinion and it’s a great success. I plan to get one of Homepins Homeboy arcade machines to go with my Hankin cocktail and will support Mike that way. Maybe the next pin I’ll enjoy.

Agree with some of the shot comments here. I also played it today quite a bit. Looks fantastic artwise but the shots and shot layout/geometry is just all off imo. Nothing was enjoyable to hit. Just my opinion and im a crap player but unfortunately i walked away completely underwhelmed by the gameplay. If I had money down on this I'd have some concerns. A shame as it is a fantastic effort to get the pin to this point.

#1473 6 years ago

I believe there are still design adjustments to be made to the game before final production.

This was posted on Aussie Arcade by a person at Pinfest who was talking to Homepin.

Apparently the changes to be made are -
Flipper gap to be reduced by 4mm.
Center ramp entrance wider and steeper.
Mole target to be captive ball.
Outlane wire guides to be posts with rubbers.
Thunderbirds 2 toy reduced in size.

I'm sure Homepin will confirm these when he has a chance.

#1474 6 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

I believe there are still design adjustments to be made to the game before final production.
This was posted on Aussie Arcade by a person at Pinfest who was talking to Homepin about these -
Apparently the changes to be made are
Flipper gap to be reduced by 4mm.
Center ramp entrance wider and steeper.
Mole target to be captive ball.
Outlane wire guides to be posts with rubbers.
Thunderbirds 2 toy reduced in size.

Yes, with the proposed adjustments, I think the casual player will have a better time of it. It is a tough machine, there is no doubt about it. I suffered short ball times. But with a wider ramp entrance it will help.

The other thing to note is both machines got banged up in transit and that is why the animated topper wasn’t working and one of the machines was having trouble. The back of the machines were all scratched up. Damn freight mob.

#1475 6 years ago

Here is a pic with the glass off. It’s not the best quality photo, but at least there is no glare.

5746A778-A4F1-4CEE-8090-7383B1183BC2 (resized).jpeg5746A778-A4F1-4CEE-8090-7383B1183BC2 (resized).jpeg

#1476 6 years ago

Here is a good review by Koops at Aussie Arcade: (I'd write my own but I’m half drunk and his sums it up for me) (Koops also attached a bunch of high quality photos, but too many to upload...reception and internet is very bad here at Caves Beach- attached a couple)

"The following is all based on the prototype's which contain some non production items.

These are my own brain dump in no specific order, and may contain a significant number of inconsistencies

I won't have a massive amount of game play detail as I need to practice more.

Hardware

Cabinet

In in a similar fashion to the latest stern pin pictures of the side cabinet decals dont do the pin justice.

Originally I thought the cabinet looked too baby blue but in person it is a mix of white clouds and blue sky.

The decals themselves seem to be made from quite thick textured material (see upclose photo).

I'd guess its quite hard wearing in comparison to normal thin decals.

I quite like the cabinet side art with the predominate thunderbird 2 aircraft.

Cabinet parts

Nice Plungers, coin doors. All quality. All everything you'd normally expect so you don't notice it.

Nice little addition to the coin door is the IR hand logo.

Small things but nice to have in this in this day and age when stern cutting everything not nailed.

Headbox

This is easily a standout item. I love the sides of the head box.

The electroluminescent decals are outstanding. See video.

I believe the headbox is locked to the main body by bolts inside the head. No turn lock or external latch, all internal. No pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Armour

Side rails actually cover the front corners also. So good bye to the front decals getting knocked when moving the machine around.

Lock down bar seems to be a standard pin lock

Topper

I was told that 1 of the 2 toppers was damaged in transit and that was why only 1 was on.

I did not see the other in action. I don't know if it is or will be tied to action on the playfield (im sure Mike mentioned it somewhere but I cant recall off hand).

The topper actions seems to be that vehicles can slide into and out of view.

Sort of like a moving diaorama.

Back glass

The translite seems to be reverse screenprinted onto the plexiglass.

It has the speaker panels cut into them ahla circus voltaire.

The art around the speakers and dmd suits the theme and is better than just being stern black.

Backglass Art style. I don't hate it but I don't love it.

I can see why eclectic gamers suggested a retheme to "Team America" for a US release

DMD

Stock orange dmd style BUT seems to be made from leds.

I'm sure this is something Mike had also mentioned in the past.

I personally think it could have perhaps been single colored to more match in with the rest of the color scheme.

Say blue? Owners could possibly change it and put a blue gel over it or something.

The other thing was that I could see how all the little pieces goes together.

Once again this could be less noticable by using a gel cover or something. The leds are so bright that they should be able to compensate.

That is a minor issue.

With the games animations and score display it seems to be a standard high speed 2 style of animations.

Example. thunderbird 2's load module door opening.Not sure if I had a recording or picture of this.

I did notice something I mentioned to Toads in which when there is a score on screen it will noticably do an upwards "scan" through the score. Pretty sure its in the video I took.

I'm not sure if that was a deliberate effect or software bug. It didn't occur anywhere else that I saw.

Playfield

Flippers. Standard williams length flippers with a nice little homepin logo.

Standard flipper gap (as far as I could tell).

2 ramps. 1 of them is always available. I'll call this the main ramp.

The other is only available for small windows of time when activated buy the drop targets below it. I'll call this the T2 ramp.

T1 switch. There is a 1/2 loop up the top left hand side. Unsure what this actally does RGR ?

The mole switch. Unsure what this does. RGR ? Any time I hit it it said "too soft" or something. One of the moles was damaged in transit. So it was missing its drill section.

Left outlane has a post. Doesnt seem to have the 3 hole adjustments we are used to.

Right outland does not. Can drain quite easily here.

Slings. Now on the left most prototype machine there were "blinder" plastics covering the metal returns and part of the slings.

The right machine did not have these. See pics.

I forgot to ask sid what the purpose of these were for but he mentioned they were optional.

These made it significantly harder for me to time the shots as you only saw the ball just before it hit the start of a flipper.

The thing is that the design on them is really nice. See pic.

The pool mech. I never got to see this in action so I assume it is a multiball or other mode trigger. I did see that below the T2 model there is a diverter. I assume this is what sends the ball to the pool.

Small things. Clear washers added below rounded nut heads on plastics, What a novel idea!

The main ramp.

I believe this is not the final ramp and is due for redesign anyway BUT I did notice a couple of issues with what we were presented with.

Its size needs to be changed a little. This will reduce the likelyhood of airballs and also make the balls travel over it smoother.

I'd like to see the production one utilise a nicer method of delivering the ball into the top lane area. Prototype one just allows the ball to drop into the area.

I highly doubt the material this particular ramp was made from would be their production grade plastic.

I'd like to see this ramp be a little flatter. I did notice that there was some space above the pops that it could be put into.

This would reduce the steepness of this ramp. I think this would reduce the feeling of it being close.

There was also a colored led strip under oneside of the ramp. Not sure of the design aspect of this. Is it supposed to be like an airfields landing lights? Unsure.

T2 ramp.

This ramp is how balls are locked.

Once triggered by the targets below thunderbird 2 (big green aircraft) the amp will lower for something like 10 seconds.

During this time if you get the ball up the ramp it will allow a ball to ever the right side ramp where a pin just near the two palm trees will store locked balls. Similar to game of thrones.

Now, the trick here is that to get multiball you need to lock all 3 balls in a SINGLE ball.

There are led lights below the T2 model that illuminate the ramp when it is lowered.

T2 model.

Its huge! As T2 was my favorite I was glad to see it.

The model itself "seemed" to currently be 3d printed as I could make out the layers.

So my guess is that this is once again just a prototype model and not a production one.

No idea what the production version will be.

Would be nice to see the cockpit area or rear jet areas light up.

Flipper buttons

These seemed to have a slightly deeper finger goove. Trivial but I noticed it.

And then i went and played a range of other pins that had similar buttons so its perhaps my limited pin experience.

Under playfield

I did see a couple of times when work was being performed that there were a couple of arms to help hold the playfield up (just like the ones in a williams)

It also seemed to have a smooth action when putting the playfield back in. No stern hump!

I didn't get to see the entire playfield up so can't comment on anything else inside.

Rear of playfield

I almost forgot about this. It seems like the back of the playfield had el like the headbox sides.

Game play

paging : RGR

In short it was brutal to me.

I got in perhaps 10 games but I still didnt know what to do. Given more time (without queues behind) i'd probably read the game card and try and understand what I should be doing apart from shooting ramps.

From watching others is was generally short ball times.

Overall

I've gotten use to playing more recent sterns in which everything is so far away at the other end of the playfield, so playing this was different.

The main ramp felt close, but different can be good.

Cabinet is solid.

Art style is subjective. Some will like it others won't, but hey everyone said the same thing about star wars

Really felt like i'd expect a pin to feel like. It had the weight in it.

There are a few little things that need taking care of but it seems like Mike is getting there.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showpost.php?p=1122468

DE23F245-8943-4898-9BCF-29FEE1F6451B (resized).jpegDE23F245-8943-4898-9BCF-29FEE1F6451B (resized).jpeg
65A58E85-D575-4D4D-B4AF-C2944EFB9669 (resized).jpeg65A58E85-D575-4D4D-B4AF-C2944EFB9669 (resized).jpeg
655120A1-0D25-40B8-B92C-0E522FA34D71 (resized).jpeg655120A1-0D25-40B8-B92C-0E522FA34D71 (resized).jpeg

#1477 6 years ago

The game looks cool. One real quick observation with the multiball sequence is it should start AFTER the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown, not during it. Simple timing change that would help alot with the the effect of multiball. Also, did I hear you have to lock all 3 balls during a single ball (ball 1, 2 or 3) or they get released on the next ball? That would be weird, need to handle multiplayer and virtual locks if so.... I like what I see though for the first public showing.

#1478 6 years ago

Indeed. It's a center hump ramp. Really cool idea. Hump ramp!

#1479 6 years ago

Game looks cool. Can’t wait to play one in the USA!!

#1480 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The game looks cool. One real quick observation with the multiball sequence is it should start AFTER the 5-4-3-2-1 countdown, not during it. Simple timing change that would help alot with the the effect of multiball.

Totally agree that needs to be allowed to play out before the balls are released, when I was watching the video I was watching the DMD and didn't realise at 3 the balls where back in play, it is the most iconic moment in the series/licence so it should be given priority and allowed to play out to full fanfare. Game does look promising, I am certainly going to keep my eye on this as it develops further, so far it looks great.

EDIT: Is Thunderbird 4 represented anywhere??

#1481 6 years ago

It looks good, and build quality doesn't seem likely to be an issue.

I think the big Thunderbird 2 model if reduced in size by 20-30% will offer drastically better visual balance. Glad to hear it will be addressed.

Just hope the extra time to fine tune the shots will be taken.

#1482 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Here is a pic with the glass off. It’s not the best quality photo, but at least there is no glare.

Did you happen to take a head on overhead pic? Hard to see all the detail from the side.

Looking at this pin, it reminds me of a late 80s early 90s data east.

#1484 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Totally agree that needs to be allowed to play out before the balls are released, when I was watching the video I was watching the DMD and didn't realise at 3 the balls where back in play, it is the most iconic moment in the series/licence so it should be given priority and allowed to play out to full fanfare. Game does look promising, I am certainly going to keep my eye on this as it develops further, so far it looks great.
EDIT: Is Thunderbird 4 represented anywhere??

TB4 is at the top of PF three roll over switches feeding pops "T" "B" "4". Cheers

#1486 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Did you happen to take a head on overhead pic? Hard to see all the detail from the side.
Looking at this pin, it reminds me of a late 80s early 90s data east.

Unfortunately no. The glass was only off once for a short time and there were people everywhere. I didn't want to get in the way of RGR playing. If I get another chance today, I'll see what I can do.

#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Looks like there is an objective based replay (international rescue)...not based only on score or match

You are absolutely right. Every time you make a centre ramp shot, you gain a letter on the international rescue. Once all the letters are lit, you gain a free game.

The other thing I might add is the soundtrack is fantastic. All custom recorded tracks and there are about 18 different songs. The track is changed by hitting two switches on the right hand side of the playfield near the T2 ramp. With the volume up it sounds excellent.

#1488 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Unfortunately no. The glass was only off once for a short time and there were people everywhere. I didn't want to get in the way of RGR playing. If I get another chance today, I'll see what I can do.

If you could get a close up of the upper playfield that would be cool. Hard to see what's going on up there from the video.

#1489 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

If you could get a close up of the upper playfield that would be cool. Hard to see what's going on up there from the video.

I'll ask one of the guys if they are able to upload a video of that end of the playfield.

#1490 6 years ago

Uploading both videos on youtube in HD. Will be done in a few hours.

#1491 6 years ago

apparently the playfield has art on it with no clear but has a playfield protector over the art - could be for the protos only ???

#1492 6 years ago

Glass off...

IMG_2357 (resized).JPGIMG_2357 (resized).JPG

IMG_2358 (resized).JPGIMG_2358 (resized).JPG

#1493 6 years ago

Some game play recorded today at Pinfest.... had not been cropped yet but not a bad start...

[url]

[/url]

#1494 6 years ago

Game looks fantastic packed PF nice.

#1495 6 years ago

So Mike when are you going to give a attribution for using the AMH audio/video system for your game? (as Creative Commons requires)

It's so blatantly obvious, right down to the out-of-sync issues with the end of ball bonus numbers.

I know I'm just a "dumb litigious American" but my code was good enough to steal, right?

#1496 6 years ago

A bit... Data Easty sort of. Centre ramp looks odd. Be interesting in the flesh.

#1497 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Glass off...

Plenty of toys - retro , which fits theme.

Really dislike the led strip going up the ramp - doesn't suit the game. Needs to be totally hidden or made to be like CV I think.

#1498 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So Mike when are you going to give a attribution for using the AMH audio/video system for your game? (as Creative Commons requires)
It's so blatantly obvious, right down to the out-of-sync issues with the end of ball bonus numbers.
I know I'm just a "dumb litigious American" but my code was good enough to steal, right?

I had no idea your framework was open source, have you got any links?

If this pin does use it, there should definitely be some credits some where!

#1499 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Plenty of toys - retro , which fits theme.
Really dislike the led strip going up the ramp - doesn't suit the game. Needs to be totally hidden or made to be like CV I think.

I like the play field art and toys but not a fan of the central ramp which looked a little flimsy (may just be prototype quality) and my preference would have it a little higher up the play field but tough given the packed play field...

I 100% agree the LED stipe on the ramp looks like a tackie after market mod and does not fit the game plus makes it look a little cheap to be honest.

See the video in the link below....

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from JasonJoe:

would have it a little higher up the play field

This has been mentioned a few times, i haven't seen the machine in person, just going off the available pics and vids BUT the ramp looks no closer to the flippers than what the train scoop/ramp is on Monopoly.

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress/page/30?hl=kombi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.