Topic Stats

• 3,753 posts
  • 369 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by HIPPO
  • Topic is favorited by 171 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 718 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

flipper_bush.pdf (PDF preview)
screen-capture-2 (resized).png
clouseau01 (resized).jpg
9EC39F62-3B63-4E8B-BA17-1A680B2FA03F (resized).jpeg
screen-capture-20 (resized).png
screen-capture-24 (resized).png
IMG_2011 (resized).JPG
Lyle_Lanley (resized).png
57fd (resized).png
28F8839E-782B-4B31-9AB1-3C184B8895A0 (resized).jpeg
QnzcaaH (resized).jpg
twoweeks (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190303-073844_Gmail (resized).jpg
02 (resized).JPG
06 (resized).JPG
07 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 76.
#51 2 years ago

thanks for details - interesting choice of timber, Chinese produced, Aussie or other? Looks similar to Aussie Maranti in grain which splinters like that, make sure to do a paint test as it may take more to fill in the grain by the looks ???? or resins that Eucalyptus has, a balance of timber and then finishing cost especially when decals might highlight the grain.

http://www.plywoodchina.org/eucalyptus-plywood-hardwood.html

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nice Aussie touch.

Yes, it's very interesting because Eucalyptus is grown here in China and you can also see it all over the place growing in the wild. The other "farm grown" product here is poplar.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Yes, it's very interesting because Eucalyptus is grown here in China and you can also see it all over the place growing in the wild. The other "farm grown" product here is poplar.

It must be an incredibly adaptable species - some parts on Spain look like you could be in Australia with all the Eucs. I guess it's hardy, drought tolerant and fast growing.

#54 2 years ago

Intensive training this past couple of days for some of the Homepin staff. Sid has been teaching them the finer points of pinball cabinet assembly and stressing the importance of attaining the highest possible quality every step of the way.

training1 (resized).jpg

training2 (resized).jpg

training3 (resized).jpg

#55 2 years ago

This looks like a DMD backbox. Are you sticking with DMD for the first game (or more)?

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

This looks like a DMD backbox. Are you sticking with DMD for the first game (or more)?

We are using our own colour LED panel that is the same size (very close anyway) to a "standard DMD".

I dislike LCD in a pinball application.

That cabinet in the picture is not our final design - it's just one we use to play around with things so don't take it as the final design.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Intensive training this past couple of days for some of the Homepin staff. Sid has been teaching them the finer points of pinball cabinet assembly and stressing the importance of attaining the highest possible quality every step of the way.

Finally a company in this hobby that gives a hoot about quality. Boy I'm just tired of reading about the cheapening of pinball.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

The problem we would have making these is that we have no way of testing them. If that changes in the future we would certainly look at it.

Can't you make (or buy) a testbench for them ?

How do you test your wpc mpu's ?
I think I read somewhere you have a Getaway - do you install each board in that machine and is that the only test ?

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Can't you make (or buy) a testbench for them ?
How do you test your wpc mpu's ?
I think I read somewhere you have a Getaway - do you install each board in that machine and is that the only test ?

Posts #42 & #46 in this thread show pictures and a video of the test jig that we have built for these boards BUT it basically connects to our Getaway.

You cannot bring second hand ANYTHING into China - it is against the law. The Getaway is built into our own cabinet with parts brought in one by one.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Finally a company in this hobby that gives a hoot about quality. Boy I'm just tired of reading about the cheapening of pinball.

I appreciate Mike's approach, all along he has said he would not show details of PF/art which is cool and just adds to the anticipation of what this will look like.

Seeing the business and parts coming together over the past 3 years has been reassuring, as a pre order buyer the focus on quality in all parts of this pin has been great. I was lucky enough to see some of them first hand at pinfest. Can't wait to see final product early 17.

Keep the updates coming Mike, hoping to see my pin in the background soon lol

#61 2 years ago

It seems like I keep on about coil making but while the boys have been busy in the wood shop finalising our pinball cabinets and CNC cutting the first samples - the girls upstairs in the electronic assembly areas have been busy winding and finishing our first full batch of 300 flipper coils.

A bit of a self explanatory pictorial process below, I'll make a few comments here about the pics. Depends on which order the pictures load to this site - the descriptions may be in reverse!!!!

Enameled copper wire = EXPENSIVE!!
I had to hunt a little to get 1N4007 diodes with longer than standard wire leads for coil use
Stripping the enamel from the heavy wires
Solder pot removes the enamel from the fine wires and the remainder from the heavy and tins the bare copper
Prepared coils ready to fit the diodes and solder it all up
Finally ready for the finishing touch - the label!
Proudly displaying the Homepin logo

coils10 (resized).jpg

coils11 (resized).jpg

coils13 (resized).jpg

coils14 (resized).jpg

coils16 (resized).jpg

coils18 (resized).jpg

coils12 (resized).jpg

coils17 (resized).jpg

#62 2 years ago

It really is a welcome relief to FINALLY see some of the finished parts coming into the Homepin storeroom after YEARS of drawing,
having moulds and dies made, testing, modifying moulds and AT LAST - finished parts, ready to assemble into machines!!!

flipperparts (resized).jpg

flipperbat (resized).jpg

balllaunchbezels (resized).jpg

#63 2 years ago

Wow, good work Homepin. That is some real progress you are showing.

#64 2 years ago

We visited a local speaker factory today and brought back some samples for testing. I'm confident they will be fine and we will be able to place an order for our first run with this factory shortly.

Several things impressed me not only about the quality but also the high end brands that they OEM manufacture for. I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the showroom but I snuck one when the boss wasn't looking.

spkr7 (resized).jpg

spkr1 (resized).jpg

spkr3 (resized).jpg

spkr4 (resized).jpg

spkr5 (resized).jpg

sprk2 (resized).jpg

#65 2 years ago

Mike use the speaker that your holding, you may need a bigger cabinet lol.

Great to see all parts coming together. I like the blue flipper colour, is that to match art?

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Even without the artwork, I like the look of the prototype cabinet. It looks neat.

It's difficult to see from your photos Mike, but it looks to me like your backbox is a bit wider than the standard backbox. If so, is that to accommodate a future widebody pin without having to do a redesign? Also have you decided whether or not to go with a half size coin door?

Sorry for all the questions, but I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve who has taken a sneak peak beneath the wrapping paper and can't stop myself from asking. I have more questions, but I will refrain...

Thanks for the updates!

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

We visited a local speaker factory today and brought back some samples for testing. I'm confident they will be fine and we will be able to place an order for our first run with this factory shortly.
Several things impressed me not only about the quality but also the high end brands that they OEM manufacture for. I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the showroom but I snuck one when the boss wasn't looking.

Must be nice to find an "off the shelf" part.

#68 2 years ago

For us, this is by far the best thread on Pinside. We restore the occasional machine and very shortly, hopefully Mike will be giving us access to a world of new parts at reasonable pricing. Everything from cabinets to PC boards, flipper parts and the list goes on and on. All outstanding quality parts.

Very exciting times for pinball in Australia and around the world.

We are really looking forward to the next few years of pinball!

#69 2 years ago

Those light blue flippers and bushings are perty.

#70 2 years ago

The latest version power rectifier board was just delivered. I need to get it
assembled and tested but I think we have it all sorted out now and will be
ready for production after this final test.

ps1 (resized).jpg

ps2 (resized).jpg

#71 2 years ago

im expecting bootlaces in those phoenix plugs please

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

im expecting bootlaces in those phoenix plugs please

Nah - they are pretty easy to grab and pull off due their chunky size. I like the 20A rating.

Also note the provided (separate) power for "user mods".

What isn't obvious is the PCB is also 2oz copper not 1oz as standard.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

This is awesome. Very curious how the software component will work with that.

#74 2 years ago

Looks like all the parts fit which is always a good start!

ps3 (resized).jpg

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Nah - they are pretty easy to grab and pull off due their chunky size. I like the 20A rating.
What isn't obvious is the PCB is also 2oz copper not 1oz as standard.

no you misunderstood ... i meant ferrules on the wires you put in them. http://en.tze.com.cn/PKD.htm

#76 2 years ago

Following... good luck to you...

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

This is awesome. Very curious how the software component will work with that.

There is no software relating to this power tap. It is simply a power take off point provided for user mods. How that is interfaced to the game is up to the end user.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

no you misunderstood ... i meant ferrules on the wires you put in them. http://en.tze.com.cn/PKD.htm

Sorry, now I'm with you LOL. Yes, all under control.

I never thought of them being called "bootlaces" but it kind of makes sense although a better (and more appropriate) name would be "Aglet" LOL

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Sorry, now I'm with you LOL. Yes, all under control.
I never thought of them being called "bootlaces" but it kind of makes sense although a better (and more appropriate) name would be "Aglet" LOL

the generically accepted / trade name amongst us wire monkeys is bootlaces.. but you are permitted to refer to them as aglets so long as you fit them off with the proper crimper not a pair of pliers lookup Weidmüller if you need a set

#80 2 years ago

I'm just about to head into the electronic markets, down the highway and my secretary sent me this picture - thanks a lot!!!

chinahighway (resized).jpg

#81 2 years ago

Homepin, remind the employees not to take one of the large rolls of copper wire to make either a) the world's largest solenoid or b) a rail gun. Even though that would be cool.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

There is no software relating to this power tap. It is simply a power take off point provided for user mods. How that is interfaced to the game is up to the end user.

I assume this power take off point will be controlled by the machine's power on-off switch?

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I assume this power take off point will be controlled by the machine's power on-off switch?

Yes. It's just an additional 12V 3A supply rail that is switched on and off with the machines supply.

#84 2 years ago

Here you go Doug - a closeup of your "bootlaces" especially for you LOL

ps10 (resized).jpg

ps11 (resized).jpg

ps12 (resized).jpg

#85 2 years ago

Ferrules

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

We are using our own colour LED panel that is the same size (very close anyway) to a "standard DMD".

I do like the look of a color DMD more than a TV screen but I'm a video game junky so they're similar to 8 bit graphics. Hopefully the animations will be nifty.

#87 2 years ago

Hi Mike,

I am intently following your recent and impressive current progress !!!...............and agree with post 68 of this thread..................BEST active thread here on Pinside.

Am impessed with the open disclosure and QC steps you are willing to share and showing here on the sometimes----wild west/outback shenanigans here on the world wide web.

Also love your being open and stating that you are aligning your business plan with Pinball Life here in the USA,what a great choice !! as things get closer to production...........

Can you give an approximate price point in US dollars yet ?

I am on the outside,looking in with the current pricing structures here in the states.............but with your markets across the oceans from us here in the states,it almost sounds like with production numbers and the production line in China that I may have a chance at a new machine from Homepin here in the next couple years.

Take care,Kirk

#88 2 years ago

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the encouraging comments, I have passed them on to the crew and they are pleased.

You are 100% correct about the "goings on" here in China - in fact I might just start commenting on some of them as well so people can see it's not all beer and skittles here! It might enlighten some as to just what problems I have to contend with here on an almost daily basis.

Pricing - - - I don't want to give too much away at this stage but let's say that the Homepin pricing plan has only been adjusted slightly from our original targets. It seems that some others have different pricing ideas but ours remain solid with only a moderate price rise. If you look at our original "introductory" price of AU5432.10 in Australia (plus GST [tax] and delivery) we are not a very long way from this currently.

That was always a special introductory price for those who took a chance on Homepin and paid up front. The normal retail price is estimated to be ABOUT (and please don't take this as gospel at this stage) AU$6999.

This equates to ABOUT US$5250 in todays money. This will be for a machine that will have many more "bells & whistles" than some others on the market and will be built with Homepins already well regarded high quality.

Things are a long way from finalised yet however so please don't quote that price anywhere else without the clarifying statements.

#89 2 years ago

First small batch of pinball cabinets being assembled fresh from the CNC machine.

So far all of our diligent preparation is paying off as all the parts fit together perfectly.

CAB ASSEMBLY (resized).jpg

#90 2 years ago

+1 for best active thread on Pinside. Keep the updates coming!

#91 2 years ago

My secretary thought it looked "funny" me working with 2 x PC's and 4 x screens while listening to my bluetooth headset....

working (resized).jpg

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those light blue flippers and bushings are perty.

the homepin logo on the flippers. very nice.

#93 2 years ago

Hey Mike,
Good morning over there I suppose ? 11 PM Sunday night here,have had a long weekend here and 1 more day off tomorrow-as we have celebrated our Thanksgiving here in the US this past Thursday,I am milking it for 5 days .....somebody has to do it right ?

Nice set-up,that's how my work bench at home and work look.............actually I am very obsessive on at least cleaning up before I call it a day !

I like that it appears,you are keeping everything possible in house and somewhat under your control,that has seemed to bite some start-ups here in the US..............as you farm stuff out-then there are problems with specs,production deadlines never being met,personnel issues etc.,on and on from my experience watching pre-order programs here in the US and the countless issues that seem to crop up.

Planning and preparation are the keys to success !!..at least that is how I ran things with my car racing program years ago !!, Do as much as you can yourself and the victories and satisfaction are mostly yours.

Have a good week,Kirk in Colorado,USA

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

My secretary thought it looked "funny" me working with 2 x PC's and 4 x screens while listening to my bluetooth headset....

Even the headphones are baby blue. Liking this thread quite a bit.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

That is certainly one way to multi-task...but bloody hell, that desk is a mess! lol

#97 2 years ago

Progress looks good and I love the make it happen yourself attitude, but why China? Is it purely labor costs are low, regulations are more relaxed, you really like the culture, or something else?

#98 2 years ago

My understanding is it's the cost (labour, parts) and local availability of places to supply components (SZ is the centre of the manufacturing world really), but I'm sure Mike will chime in... Although after visiting Mike a while back he seems to be well settled into the culture as well.

#99 2 years ago

It's great to see all the behind scenes stuff and see so many parts built in-house.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Progress looks good and I love the make it happen yourself attitude, but why China? Is it purely labor costs are low, regulations are more relaxed, you really like the culture, or something else?

Thanks for your positive comments. It is impossible to buy a sheet of 18mm ply of such high quality in Australia for under AU$200 (about US$140) - the same goes for every other part. I won't say what It is costing me here but I can assure you it is substantially less than that!

Skip to "HERE:" if you don't want the boring details...........

There is no infrastructure in Australia for any metalwork, dies, moulds, plastic injection, metal stamping or anything else really.

To do what I am doing would be impossible in Australia. It just wouldn't happen.

It isn't the "cheap labour" - that is a furphy. Labour & conditions here in Shenzhen are very high and the rental I pay is MORE than I would pay in Australia for a comparable building. Also the working conditions are mandated by law here AND strongly policed, they are unbelievably in favour of the worker, despite what many ridiculous, so called, news reports would have you believe. They are crap, don't believe them.

As one example, I currently have one staff member away on maternity leave. Initially this was four months at full pay (inclusive of the average of overtime and weekend work for the previous 6 months). While she was away on this leave they changed the law and made it six months - retrospectively!!! No Government assistance for this, I pay the lot. I am paying her about US$1200 a month for six months. That wage is equivalent to around AU$5000 in Australia when you look at all the factors such as cost of living, price of food etc.

Regulations here, in some ways are FAR more stringent than Australia. We are constantly audited and inspected for fire regulations to ensure we are complying with fire extinguishers, fire resistant cabinets for flammable liquids and other regulations, using ONLY water based paints and other liquids. Labour audits to ensure there are no under age staff, inspections of their living quarters to make sure they are clean and everything works (water, power, gas etc) also electronic audits of the work hour and pay records via the fingerprint reader to ensure staff are not working excessive hours and to make sure they are paid for all overtime worked.

Compliance checks to ensure that all the factory insurance policies are up to date that cover staff for injury, hospital, time off work and many other things. We have to attend at least two meetings per month on fire safety, environmental issues workplace safety and these meetings are followed up to make sure that we have implemented the recommendations suggested at these meetings.

I personally spend a minimum of three days a month dealing with this official bullshit, driving to various Government departments to lodge various paperwork and all sorts of other crap. Mostly a waste of my time that could be used to actually do work!

HERE:

It is the availability of all the services and parts needed at exceptionally good prices and of every quality from "world best" (that we insist on) right down to "complete crap" that the chain stores usually specify to maximise their profits. This is the ONLY reason I am here doing it. Believe me I would much rather be doing it in Australia but it simply would never have happened.

Back to that sheet of ply - the machine to cut it (CNC) would cost around AU$25K in Australia and I paid about AU$5K for it here. The same for practically all the machinery we use.

Hope that covers things a little.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 11.95
$ 19.99
Playfield - Plastics
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
There are 3753 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 76.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside