Untitled (resized).png
hplockbar (resized).jpg
hpbuttons (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_121939 (resized).jpg
16178194 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #29 Images of flipper coils being assembled in the Homepin factory. Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #31 Images of prototype Thunderbirds mechs. Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #46 MPU Testing: Image and Video Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #47 Pinball Cab CNC Tests: Images and Video Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #61 Fliipper Coil pictorial Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #122 Delivery trucks being loaded in China Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #130 Factory tour video Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #131 Flipper links & other assembly parts Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #142 The plastic used for flipper links Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #153 Flipper buttons Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

341 posts in this topic match your search for posts by homepin. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Hello Pinball Enthusiasts,

I thought it was time to start a thread where I can show our progress in the Homepin factory with all things Pinball and Arcade related. In fact this is the first thread I have started on Pinside.

For those who don't know who Homepin is I will explain briefly here (skip the next couple of paragraphs if you are already aware of Homepin).

Homepin was started about six years ago in a small electronic workshop under my house in Kuranda Far North Queensland Australia. Initially we manufactured replacement boards for numerous pinball machines. The idea to start a factory in China grew from my lifelong desire to run an electronics factory manufacturing "something". As I had been involved in the amusement industry from when I was 21yo I figured that pinball or something arcade related would be a good place to start.

For about 15 years I had been trading with China and had started a small office there in Guangzhou mainly sourcing things for various customers and also having items manufactured, checking quality and organising shipping for other customers. I was already in China several times a year often for a few months at a time.

Fast forward a bit and now I have a factory in Shenzhen (just across the border from Hong Kong) with many different machines from plastic injection to folders, lathes CNC milling machines and pretty much what you would expect in a factory including facilities for printed circuit board assembly. Homepin is a 100% Australian owned and run business. We do not have any Chinese partner and there is always an Australian engineer present in the factory supervising operations.

I want to make it totally clear here about what we do and about this thread. Homepin is an amusement company. In fact our registered Chinese business name is "Shenzhen City, Arcade Game Science & Technology Company Limited". We are not exclusively about pinball machines, we make anything relating to arcade machines in general and that happens to include pinball.

For various reasons we have found ourselves manufacturing licenced Video game tables under a very famous Australian brand name, "Hankin". Back in the day, Hankin was a very big player in the amusement industry in Australia and did quite a lot of manufacturing. They made the tables that we now build under licence and also made five models of pinball machines.

A.Hankin & Co are still in the amusement business to this day operating juke boxes and pool tables in hotels mostly around New South Wales. Homepin has a very close working relationship with the Hankin company.

Initially, after establishing the Homepin factory in Shenzhen, I didn't think much about continuing the manufacture of replacement PCBs but when we had some quiet times it occurred to me that it would make sense to make boards to keep the staff busy. To that end, the latest boards we are building are replacements for WMS MPU boards. The pictures below show our work on them and the jig that arrived this morning to enable us to test them before packing and shipping. It will take some time for us to wire the jig so it might be a week or so before we are ready to ship these boards out.

Official Homepin agents for all of our replacement board products are "Johns-Arcade" in Australia and "Pinball Life" in the USA.

A quick word about "other Pinside threads" relating to Homepin and Thunderbirds pinball. It was never my intention to have much of a presence in the USA or Canada initially. I wanted to get the factory running smoothly, have our first machine shipping and then work on further products that would be more suitable for those markets. Most know that things turned sour pretty quickly and "most" of that was connected with a few stirrers on here at that time. It seems the moderators are doing a much better job more recently of curtailing keyboard warriors (just my observation).

I intend to show various things as we are doing them in the factory because I know there are many who are interested. Sometimes these things might be arcade related rather than pinball but that's the business we are in. I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE or POSITIVE feedback. If you want to niggle or be negative please don't bother posting in this thread. Where possible I will endeavour to answer questions when they don't clash with commercially sensitive matters.

wpc33 (resized).jpgwpc33 (resized).jpg

wpc55 (resized).jpgwpc55 (resized).jpg

wpc66 (resized).jpgwpc66 (resized).jpg

wpc3 (resized).jpgwpc3 (resized).jpg

wpc22 (resized).jpgwpc22 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I'm interested to see how you do competing in the ever growing pinball market.
Best wishes,Mike.

Thanks.

One of our advantages is that we are not ONLY in the pinball business. Our arcade business and replacement pinball board business are big enough to survive on their own merits.

That gives us an advantage as far as "buying time" is concerned to build the pinball business.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Mike -
Are you still doing those -35 Bally kits anymore?

We still have lots of parts for these kits but stopped doing them as there are many other options to replace a -35. I wouldn't dismiss doing another run of them sometime in the future if there was demand.

Homepin tries to make the boards that others don't. When we do make one that is also made by others we try to ensure it has some improvement or extra that others don't.

Like the MPU's shown in the first post. They come with a RAMTRON RAM installed and a PLCC removal tool included. Our boards also are designed to be as close in appearance to the originals but with thicker PCB tracks and IC sockets where they need to be such as IC20 on this board.

#28 7 years ago

These seems to be a lot of interest in the Hankin pinballs (which is very good IMO). Here are a couple of pics from Pinfest 2015 with David Hankin signing an owners Shark at the show and another with David, his wife and myself at Pinfest.

image_0031 (resized).jpgimage_0031 (resized).jpg
image_0032 (resized).jpgimage_0032 (resized).jpg

image_0030 (resized).jpgimage_0030 (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

I have had massive troubles connecting to the internet this past week and uploading pictures has been an exercise in frustration. Many say it was because of the tensions in Hong Kong and (usually) when political things flare up the Chinese Govt tightens up all things internet.

Anyway, things seem a little better this morning so here are some pictures of us making flipper coils.

First a worker rivets the wire tags to the moulded formers. Then they are taken upstairs to our electronics assembly area where they are wound on our new 6 bank winding machine. We are only using 2 banks of it as we really don't need the full capabilities of this machine.

The coil wrappers should be delivered in a day or so and we will have a batch of fresh coils ready for the labels when they arrive.

coils3 (resized).jpgcoils3 (resized).jpg

coils5 (resized).jpgcoils5 (resized).jpg

coils1 (resized).jpgcoils1 (resized).jpg

coils2 (resized).jpgcoils2 (resized).jpg

coils4 (resized).jpgcoils4 (resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago

A batch of 300 flipper plungers being machined - we send them outside for plating. These will be black nickel plated.

plungers2 (resized).jpgplungers2 (resized).jpg

plungers1 (resized).jpgplungers1 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

One of the final mechanisms for Thunderbirds being tweaked before we order a large quantity of parts to build it.

mechtest1 (resized).jpgmechtest1 (resized).jpg

mechtest2 (resized).jpgmechtest2 (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Black nickel plated plungers? I'm guessing there's no additional cost for you to do that...there's not any mechanical benefit to doing that, is there?

We have to plate them with something and black nickel (in China) is one of the few finishes we can use that complies with RoHS.

It is actually a very nice finish and feels, to the touch, very slippery, almost like the part has been oiled??

This picture doesn't really do the finish justice - it looks a lot better in person.

knockerplunger (resized).jpgknockerplunger (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

The Homepin logo stamped in a metal part.

logo (resized).jpglogo (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

Finishing another batch of replacement motor driver boards.

driverboards1 (resized).jpgdriverboards1 (resized).jpg

driverboards2 (resized).jpgdriverboards2 (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Any chance of doing system 11 mpu boards they are hard to find and the aftermarket have sound issues.

The problem we would have making these is that we have no way of testing them. If that changes in the future we would certainly look at it.

#39 7 years ago

COILS8 (resized).jpgCOILS8 (resized).jpg

COILS7 (resized).jpgCOILS7 (resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

Sid having a great old time wiring the test jig for these boards.

Actually I won't write his comments over the past few days about this job here

...and the boards keep stacking up waiting for Sid to have the jig ready!!!

mountain1 (resized).jpgmountain1 (resized).jpg

mountain2 (resized).jpgmountain2 (resized).jpg

mountain3 (resized).jpgmountain3 (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

what controller/driver boards will you be using for the pins? Is it a completely new Homepin system?

Yes, it will be our own Homepin embedded controller system. This was all but finished when our Chinese programmer passed away in his dormitory and basically (without repeating all the drama and details again) we started again from scratch!

We are getting close again and it will be better than ever this time around!

#46 7 years ago

test_mpus (resized).jpgtest_mpus (resized).jpg

#47 7 years ago

Cutting plywood pinball cabinets in the Homepin factory.

You can see a few drops of water has spilled onto the work from the water cooling system used to cool the CNC head that runs at 30K RPM.

We will replace all the water hoses shortly, just waiting on the new ones from the CNC machine factory to be delivered.

cab1 (resized).jpgcab1 (resized).jpg
cab2 (resized).jpgcab2 (resized).jpg

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

what is the timber in the ply?

These test sheets are 18mm eucalyptus, 13 ply, AA grade and A0 (to meet RoHS requirements).

It does splinter a little but a light hand sand brings the parts up a treat.

We will also be experimenting with poplar but it hasn't been delivered yet (in A0 rating).

So far we are happy with the results using the eucalyptus.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nice Aussie touch.

Yes, it's very interesting because Eucalyptus is grown here in China and you can also see it all over the place growing in the wild. The other "farm grown" product here is poplar.

#54 7 years ago

Intensive training this past couple of days for some of the Homepin staff. Sid has been teaching them the finer points of pinball cabinet assembly and stressing the importance of attaining the highest possible quality every step of the way.

training1 (resized).jpgtraining1 (resized).jpg

training2 (resized).jpgtraining2 (resized).jpg

training3 (resized).jpgtraining3 (resized).jpg

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

This looks like a DMD backbox. Are you sticking with DMD for the first game (or more)?

We are using our own colour LED panel that is the same size (very close anyway) to a "standard DMD".

I dislike LCD in a pinball application.

That cabinet in the picture is not our final design - it's just one we use to play around with things so don't take it as the final design.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Can't you make (or buy) a testbench for them ?
How do you test your wpc mpu's ?
I think I read somewhere you have a Getaway - do you install each board in that machine and is that the only test ?

Posts #42 & #46 in this thread show pictures and a video of the test jig that we have built for these boards BUT it basically connects to our Getaway.

You cannot bring second hand ANYTHING into China - it is against the law. The Getaway is built into our own cabinet with parts brought in one by one.

#61 7 years ago

It seems like I keep on about coil making but while the boys have been busy in the wood shop finalising our pinball cabinets and CNC cutting the first samples - the girls upstairs in the electronic assembly areas have been busy winding and finishing our first full batch of 300 flipper coils.

A bit of a self explanatory pictorial process below, I'll make a few comments here about the pics. Depends on which order the pictures load to this site - the descriptions may be in reverse!!!!

Enameled copper wire = EXPENSIVE!!
I had to hunt a little to get 1N4007 diodes with longer than standard wire leads for coil use
Stripping the enamel from the heavy wires
Solder pot removes the enamel from the fine wires and the remainder from the heavy and tins the bare copper
Prepared coils ready to fit the diodes and solder it all up
Finally ready for the finishing touch - the label!
Proudly displaying the Homepin logo

coils10 (resized).jpgcoils10 (resized).jpg

coils11 (resized).jpgcoils11 (resized).jpg

coils13 (resized).jpgcoils13 (resized).jpg

coils14 (resized).jpgcoils14 (resized).jpg

coils16 (resized).jpgcoils16 (resized).jpg

coils18 (resized).jpgcoils18 (resized).jpg

coils12 (resized).jpgcoils12 (resized).jpg

coils17 (resized).jpgcoils17 (resized).jpg

#62 7 years ago

It really is a welcome relief to FINALLY see some of the finished parts coming into the Homepin storeroom after YEARS of drawing,
having moulds and dies made, testing, modifying moulds and AT LAST - finished parts, ready to assemble into machines!!!

flipperparts (resized).jpgflipperparts (resized).jpg

flipperbat (resized).jpgflipperbat (resized).jpg

balllaunchbezels (resized).jpgballlaunchbezels (resized).jpg

#64 7 years ago

We visited a local speaker factory today and brought back some samples for testing. I'm confident they will be fine and we will be able to place an order for our first run with this factory shortly.

Several things impressed me not only about the quality but also the high end brands that they OEM manufacture for. I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the showroom but I snuck one when the boss wasn't looking.

spkr7 (resized).jpgspkr7 (resized).jpg

spkr1 (resized).jpgspkr1 (resized).jpg

spkr3 (resized).jpgspkr3 (resized).jpg

spkr4 (resized).jpgspkr4 (resized).jpg

spkr5 (resized).jpgspkr5 (resized).jpg

sprk2 (resized).jpgsprk2 (resized).jpg

#70 7 years ago

The latest version power rectifier board was just delivered. I need to get it
assembled and tested but I think we have it all sorted out now and will be
ready for production after this final test.

ps1 (resized).jpgps1 (resized).jpg

ps2 (resized).jpgps2 (resized).jpg

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

im expecting bootlaces in those phoenix plugs please

Nah - they are pretty easy to grab and pull off due their chunky size. I like the 20A rating.

Also note the provided (separate) power for "user mods".

What isn't obvious is the PCB is also 2oz copper not 1oz as standard.

#74 7 years ago

Looks like all the parts fit which is always a good start!

ps3 (resized).jpgps3 (resized).jpg

#77 7 years ago

This is awesome. Very curious how the software component will work with that.

There is no software relating to this power tap. It is simply a power take off point provided for user mods. How that is interfaced to the game is up to the end user.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

no you misunderstood ... i meant ferrules on the wires you put in them. http://en.tze.com.cn/PKD.htm

Sorry, now I'm with you LOL. Yes, all under control.

I never thought of them being called "bootlaces" but it kind of makes sense although a better (and more appropriate) name would be "Aglet" LOL

#80 7 years ago

I'm just about to head into the electronic markets, down the highway and my secretary sent me this picture - thanks a lot!!!

chinahighway (resized).jpgchinahighway (resized).jpg

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I assume this power take off point will be controlled by the machine's power on-off switch?

Yes. It's just an additional 12V 3A supply rail that is switched on and off with the machines supply.

#84 7 years ago

Here you go Doug - a closeup of your "bootlaces" especially for you LOL

ps10 (resized).jpgps10 (resized).jpg

ps11 (resized).jpgps11 (resized).jpg

ps12 (resized).jpgps12 (resized).jpg

#88 7 years ago

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the encouraging comments, I have passed them on to the crew and they are pleased.

You are 100% correct about the "goings on" here in China - in fact I might just start commenting on some of them as well so people can see it's not all beer and skittles here! It might enlighten some as to just what problems I have to contend with here on an almost daily basis.

Pricing - - - I don't want to give too much away at this stage but let's say that the Homepin pricing plan has only been adjusted slightly from our original targets. It seems that some others have different pricing ideas but ours remain solid with only a moderate price rise. If you look at our original "introductory" price of AU5432.10 in Australia (plus GST [tax] and delivery) we are not a very long way from this currently.

That was always a special introductory price for those who took a chance on Homepin and paid up front. The normal retail price is estimated to be ABOUT (and please don't take this as gospel at this stage) AU$6999.

This equates to ABOUT US$5250 in todays money. This will be for a machine that will have many more "bells & whistles" than some others on the market and will be built with Homepins already well regarded high quality.

Things are a long way from finalised yet however so please don't quote that price anywhere else without the clarifying statements.

#89 7 years ago

First small batch of pinball cabinets being assembled fresh from the CNC machine.

So far all of our diligent preparation is paying off as all the parts fit together perfectly.

CAB ASSEMBLY (resized).jpgCAB ASSEMBLY (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago

My secretary thought it looked "funny" me working with 2 x PC's and 4 x screens while listening to my bluetooth headset....

working (resized).jpgworking (resized).jpg

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Progress looks good and I love the make it happen yourself attitude, but why China? Is it purely labor costs are low, regulations are more relaxed, you really like the culture, or something else?

Thanks for your positive comments. It is impossible to buy a sheet of 18mm ply of such high quality in Australia for under AU$200 (about US$140) - the same goes for every other part. I won't say what It is costing me here but I can assure you it is substantially less than that!

Skip to "HERE:" if you don't want the boring details...........

There is no infrastructure in Australia for any metalwork, dies, moulds, plastic injection, metal stamping or anything else really.

To do what I am doing would be impossible in Australia. It just wouldn't happen.

It isn't the "cheap labour" - that is a furphy. Labour & conditions here in Shenzhen are very high and the rental I pay is MORE than I would pay in Australia for a comparable building. Also the working conditions are mandated by law here AND strongly policed, they are unbelievably in favour of the worker, despite what many ridiculous, so called, news reports would have you believe. They are crap, don't believe them.

As one example, I currently have one staff member away on maternity leave. Initially this was four months at full pay (inclusive of the average of overtime and weekend work for the previous 6 months). While she was away on this leave they changed the law and made it six months - retrospectively!!! No Government assistance for this, I pay the lot. I am paying her about US$1200 a month for six months. That wage is equivalent to around AU$5000 in Australia when you look at all the factors such as cost of living, price of food etc.

Regulations here, in some ways are FAR more stringent than Australia. We are constantly audited and inspected for fire regulations to ensure we are complying with fire extinguishers, fire resistant cabinets for flammable liquids and other regulations, using ONLY water based paints and other liquids. Labour audits to ensure there are no under age staff, inspections of their living quarters to make sure they are clean and everything works (water, power, gas etc) also electronic audits of the work hour and pay records via the fingerprint reader to ensure staff are not working excessive hours and to make sure they are paid for all overtime worked.

Compliance checks to ensure that all the factory insurance policies are up to date that cover staff for injury, hospital, time off work and many other things. We have to attend at least two meetings per month on fire safety, environmental issues workplace safety and these meetings are followed up to make sure that we have implemented the recommendations suggested at these meetings.

I personally spend a minimum of three days a month dealing with this official bullshit, driving to various Government departments to lodge various paperwork and all sorts of other crap. Mostly a waste of my time that could be used to actually do work!

HERE:

It is the availability of all the services and parts needed at exceptionally good prices and of every quality from "world best" (that we insist on) right down to "complete crap" that the chain stores usually specify to maximise their profits. This is the ONLY reason I am here doing it. Believe me I would much rather be doing it in Australia but it simply would never have happened.

Back to that sheet of ply - the machine to cut it (CNC) would cost around AU$25K in Australia and I paid about AU$5K for it here. The same for practically all the machinery we use.

Hope that covers things a little.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Great updates.
Regarding the coloured LED DMD, I hope it'll be one of the higher density / resolution ones, not standard 192x32. I know they're considerably more expensive, but I would assume you can obtain them for reasonable prices within China. I think it'd make the machine a lot more eye-catching. Also, personally, my preference would be for a taller 3 (SEGA) aspect.

We are still considering several options - even at this late stage. It will come down to two things:

(1) What is RELIABLY available in the quantities we need & at the price we want to pay.
(2) Which option will best interface with our system.

We have different options working at the moment but have not settled on any single one just yet.

#110 7 years ago

pinsanity makes some correct observations with one major "misunderstanding" that many have in the west.

I am constantly barraged by people saying things like "made in China is shit" and they are usually very adamant about it.

What needs to be understood is that "China" usually doesn't make anything that is not ordered by western buyers. These western buyers generally want the lowest price and they forsake most things in order to achieve that - including finish and quality.

It is (in many, many, instances) not any fault of China or the Chinese suppliers if the product you buy is indeed "shit" - you need to refocus your anger at the buyers and ultimately the companies that asked the Chinese factories to produce the goods for them at the quality and price point the buyers demanded.

The larger chains are the most responsible for this. I have been involved many times over the years liaising between buyers and factories and it quickly became obvious to me that practically every western buyer wanted to buy a "widget" for $1 and sell it for $20 and I am NOT exaggerating here.

Look at the large number of very high quality goods produced in China - laptops, mobile phones and a very large proportion of all appliances and electronics used all over the word. These are goods that certainly could not be classed as anything other than world best and sold at "reasonable" prices.

Those that blanket call all goods Made in China "shit" need to have a logical look at why they think that and place the blame for SOME made in China goods being poor quality fairly on the shoulders of the buyers in your own countries being greedy a lot of the time.

#122 7 years ago

If you have ever bought an electronic part or trinket, phone case or small electronic accessory or cable the chances are VERY high that your purchase was either sent from, or originated at HuaQiangBei Shenzhen China (pronounced "Hwa Chang Bay") - without doubt the largest electronics market in the world.

Sid & I were there a couple of days back sourcing some electronic parts and managed to grab some footage of a delivery truck being loaded. There is every chance your purchase was treated exactly the same way!! Beware buying fragile items online! The first video is the one I took and the second is Sid's.

We are there at least once a week looking for various bits and pieces. The markets are in central Shenzhen about a 30 minute drive from the Homepin factory.

#130 7 years ago

A report that was done last week here:

#131 7 years ago

We have been gearing up the last couple of days for a run of 250 flipper assemblies (125 each L & R).

First had to finish making 300 flipper links.

flip5 (resized).jpgflip5 (resized).jpg

flip6 (resized).jpgflip6 (resized).jpg

fl2 (resized).jpgfl2 (resized).jpg

flip2 (resized).jpgflip2 (resized).jpg

flip3 (resized).jpgflip3 (resized).jpg

flip4 (resized).jpgflip4 (resized).jpg

flip1 (resized).jpgflip1 (resized).jpg

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Wow, great video. Those cabinets look sweet!

Actually I was quite skeptical when he was actually in the factory but when Andrew sent me the video (before publication for approval) I was actually pleasantly surprised. It's short and to the point but does show a little bit of the factory for people to see, most especially like the toilet - LOL

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

My only nitpick is he referred to them as pinball tables, but I won't harp on about that old debate.

Mainly because Andrew is a video gamer and they generally call them "tables" when they are in electronic form. I agree with you however. It really irks me as well.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Will it be possible to order your more generic parts for doing custom games? I imagine your stuff will be both cheaper and higher quality than what's available now.

We are building enough parts and making an initial run of 100 machines. This should flush out any minor issues, adjustments and niggles that we will undoubtedly have - after that we will be making much larger runs of parts and then be in a position to sell them separately.

At the moment however, we are only building enough bits for in-house use.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Mike, those flipper links (the whites ones in the first pic) look like soft plastic, can they stand up to 1000s of cycles? I don't remember but weren't the old flipper links made from some kind of composite?

After a great deal of research and physical cycle testing on several different compositions we settled on POM (Polyoxymethylene). We have chosen a Taiwanese brand for it's consistent quality between batches and the paper trail that the supplier can provide us. It's a little more expensive than the Chinese brands but only slightly. This testing multiplied by thousands of separate parts is one of the reasons things have taken a while to get to this point. It's a tough job.

I'll let the Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene) explain it better than I could but here is a short excerpt:

"Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction, and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon, Ramtal, Duracon, Kepital and Hostaform.

POM is characterized by its high strength, hardness and rigidity to −40 °C. POM is intrinsically opaque white, due to its high crystalline composition, but it is available in all colors. POM has a density of 1.410–1.420 g/cm3.[2]

Typical applications for injection-molded POM include high-performance engineering components such as small gear wheels, eyeglass frames, ball bearings, ski bindings, fasteners, guns, knife handles, and lock systems. The material is widely used in the automotive and consumer electronics industry."

pom (resized).jpgpom (resized).jpg

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

Hi Mike-and fellow followers of this informative,educational and generally interesting thread here on Pinside,
It appears that Homepin is turning into just a great "New" pinball company-with what appears to have solid morals,values,business sense and their own resources from other ventures to support the "start up" and growing pains of a venture in the 21st Century.
Here is the link I found to Homepin when doing a Google search for "Thunderbirds are Go".............need to find some episodes and watch some of this program,this winter
Mike,Looks like it is almost time to update your website with the latest video you shared with us yesterday !!!
http://www.homepin.com/abouttag.html
Following with much interest,Kirk in Colorado

Thanks for the kind words. There is someone working on a fully revamped website at the moment. I just have to find the time to actually sift through thousands of pictures and send them.......

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Things seem to be progressing nicely.
All this work without preorder money?!

I am holding a very small number of preorders. Some paid in full but most are $1000 deposits only. The enticement for preordering was a Thunderbirds animated topper will be included with every preordered machine and this topper will not be available for separate purchase.

I won't go into detail about the exact number of preorders other than to say it is extremely small and one of the main reasons for this is that at the exact time I announced preorders the WOZ debacle was in full meltdown in Australia and I have many calls and messages stating that basically they wanted a machine but were too gun shy.

In hindsight I'm happy that I don't hold large preorders and we can get things done at a pace that will set us up for the long term.

Yes, it has cost a HUGE amount of money, time and a lot of anguish and yes, I have had to overcome some unbelievable personal and business hurdles but I hope this will all be rewarded very shortly when we start shipping.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Yeah, but that small number of fully paid preorders get their games first

That's true - a second bonus I guess....

#153 7 years ago

It's been a busy week with a lot of things starting to come together all at the same time.

Flipper button parts arrived and are being cleaned up and assembled with the springs made a few months ago and circlips and PAL nuts sourced locally. One issue is the factory that made the mould for us has adjusted it for a slightly better fit BUT that has brought with it a jamming situation. About 50% of the buttons are marked where they have been cleaned up to make them fit so we will return those and they can chip them (run them through the shredder) and re-mould. There are so many small things like this that we have to keep on top of and every little issue like this brings another delay.

However the first batch of flipper assemblies are coming together, now that all the parts are here for them and we have wound the first 300 flipper coils.

Also the first small run of six fully finished cabinets is coming together nicely with a few of the smaller details coming to light and being carefully documented so that future runs will be correctly and completely assembled.

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and for once it ISN'T the train coming towards me!!!

butts (resized).jpgbutts (resized).jpg

butts1 (resized).jpgbutts1 (resized).jpg

butts2 (resized).jpgbutts2 (resized).jpg

butt5 (resized).jpgbutt5 (resized).jpg

flip4 (resized).jpgflip4 (resized).jpg

LOTSAMECHS1 (resized).jpgLOTSAMECHS1 (resized).jpg

CABPLUG2 (resized).jpgCABPLUG2 (resized).jpg

CABPLUG3 (resized).jpgCABPLUG3 (resized).jpg

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That's some good looking ply and a decent finish. Cabinet wise, this would put you in a similar position quality wise to DP. Better than JJP and miles ahead of the rest of the pack.

Thanks, we have gone to great extremes to get this quality as it also must comply with "CARB" (for the USA) and "A0" (for Europe). I'm very pleased with just how nice it is actually but, like I say, it took a very long time and a lot of hunting to track it down.

Our cabinets are also made 100% with this ply - no chipboard, MDF or Masonite anywhere to be seen!

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It is interesting (and rare) to see this kind of information posted by a pinball manufacturer. It's a just a small example of the many little things that can go wrong and delay production.

Thanks for your understanding. I can't recount the number of "small things" that continuously go wrong and need correcting in some way or another. It's an ongoing thing really. I like to point out some of them, even if they seem trivial or ridiculous as every single hick-up causes delays and extra costs (usually).

I guess most would never even realise the finer points of making a part that, on first glance, seems insignificant.

#162 7 years ago

Some have asked me why we have a small coin door on our prototypes. Well, we have been experimenting with various different setups and here are a couple of pictures of what we are currently favoring. A single coin slot on a small door and a note acceptor alongside (we will be including an electronic, programmable coin mech with EVERY pinball machine).

The note acceptor is obviously expensive and for HUO would not be required so we are looking at different ways of dealing with the option.

This setup is not final yet but it looks OK and leaves easy options down the track for different owners.

frontblank (resized).jpgfrontblank (resized).jpg

frontnoteaccept (resized).jpgfrontnoteaccept (resized).jpg

#188 7 years ago

Thanks for all of the excellent comments and replies. We are likely to print something to the blanking panel - we will have to see exactly what - it must fit with the other parts of course. I take on board about two coin slots for the USA.

I can't find a pic of the coin mechs we intend to use right now but will post it when I find the pics. Our mechs are "learning" and you put it into learn mode and feed sample coins through. It can remember up to three different coins or tokens. We purchase these and strip and modify them for our purpose.

Here is a sample mounting plate for our linear power supply. It's likely to be powder coated. Certainly a long way from final but we are playing with different things to get it just right.

frame1 (resized).jpgframe1 (resized).jpg
frame2 (resized).jpgframe2 (resized).jpg

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBallMagician:

Is there going to be an option for audio out for headphones? Some current solutions use the slot for the bill acceptor to give you headphone jack plus audio control. Are you going to implement anything like that?

All I will say is that (at this stage) an audio output SOCKET will not be required

#194 7 years ago

I usually park my truck (a Nissan dual cab UTE as we would call it in Australia) in a parking lot at the front of my apartment. One morning I found that, overnight, some arsehole had crashed into the rear door and made a mess of it (picture below).

Naturally I couldn't find a note left by the arsehole as hard as I looked (severe sarcasm intended!)

Checking around I discovered that there was a security camera focused directly on the area where I was parked so I made enquiries and eventually found the camera was owned by the local police as they had previously had a few "issues" in the area recently and decided to install a camera. (I was later told they were trying to stamp out a growing problem with prostitutes in the area). Investigations revealed that yes, a policeman said he had reviewed the footage and yes, he knew the licence plate of the car that had caused the damage.

GREAT - I thought. Problem was the next step was for me to personally present at the police station and wait my turn to check the video - present all paperwork to prove it was my car and my drivers licence along with a letter from my landlord saying I was entitled to park where my car was when it was damaged.

Long story short, it just wasn't worth me wasting a day of my time along with that of one of my staff so I just had my regular mechanical workshop (who also do panel work) repair the door.

Total including paint was 520rmb (about AU$100). I estimate the same repair in Australia would cost about AU$500~800

car1 (resized).jpgcar1 (resized).jpg

car2 (resized).jpgcar2 (resized).jpg

#196 7 years ago

Hmmmm - tasty fresh rubber for Christmas.......:

NOTE: these are pre-run samples - our standard production round rubber rings will be white (with black posts, shooter tips and flipper rubbers).

rubber2 (resized).jpgrubber2 (resized).jpg

rubbers (resized).jpgrubbers (resized).jpg

fliprubber (resized).jpgfliprubber (resized).jpg

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Are these rubber or synthetic?
It would be nice if you were able to do something similar to Titan Competition Silicone, both in terms of durability and feel (not a fan at all of SuperBands), if synthetic is an option.

I will cutNpaste here from AA regarding my answer to this question over there about silicon:

Q: "Have you considered silicon rings instead of rubber?"

A: Yes and we have played with silicon. If you nick silicon, even the slightest of nicks, the ring will split in seconds - it isn't long enough lasting for a "manufacturer" to use I'm afraid.

For after market use - no problem because it won't reflect on the manufacturer of the machine if/when they split.

Not worth the risk for us with so many other "unknown factors" already to contend with - at this early stage we sure don't need any more than we already have believe me!!!

#199 7 years ago

White rubber samples turned up yesterday.

rubbersamples (resized).jpgrubbersamples (resized).jpg

rubbersamples2 (resized).jpgrubbersamples2 (resized).jpg

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I'd do the shooter tips and posts in white and flipper rubbers in red. Black makes the playfield so dirty so quickly.

We do want to experiment with colours but it won't be until our initial production is underway. There are just too many other things to deal with and get right first.

At this stage, as I said earlier, rings will be white, flipper rubbers, posts and shooter tips black.

#204 7 years ago

Please note that I am showing very early pictures of our progress in this thread. Parts shown ARE NOT finished and WILL vary in shape, size, dimensions, colour and probably every other aspect imaginable.

We are using these cute little flange bearings in our launch mechanism. The brass block will be plated when we finish making them - still tweaking a few dimensions.

It is a HUGE job preparing all of the drawings not only for our own in-house use but the service manual as well. This drawing is preliminary as there are several changes to the mechanism and then the drawing - seems to be like a dog chasing its tail sometimes!

Launch mechanism being tested in one of our VERY ratty test playfields - this piece of board has so many chunks chopped from it I think it's time to retire it!!!

launch2 (resized).jpglaunch2 (resized).jpg

launch (resized).jpglaunch (resized).jpg

launch3 (resized).jpglaunch3 (resized).jpg

launch_diagram_preliminary1 (resized).jpglaunch_diagram_preliminary1 (resized).jpg

launch4 (resized).jpglaunch4 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#216 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is that with or without tax? If it's with, they're about 15% cheaper than UK prices. Probably 8-10% cheaper than EU.

It would be including GST (tax) as retailers in Australia are not permitted to advertise goods for sale (to the public) that is not the FULL and TOTAL "pay & walk out" price.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Out of curiosity, what is the shot volume and clamping force of the injection molding machine used for the drop targets?

They are made "in-house" in our own vertical injection machine. I am not a mechanical engineer and don't profess to know the minute details that you have asked for.

The parts are made from a quality plastic and they pass the break test which is what interests me the most.

#220 7 years ago

We just finished a new test jig for another addition to the Homepin replacement board range the A-16807. It makes it a breeze to test these boards with the right test jig.

(sorry about the crappy video - I made it while I was on my own in the factory on Sunday - as all you bosses out there will know, it's usually only the boss who gets to work seven days!!!)

testjig1 (resized).jpgtestjig1 (resized).jpg
testjig3 (resized).jpgtestjig3 (resized).jpg
testjig2 (resized).jpgtestjig2 (resized).jpg

testjig4 (resized).jpgtestjig4 (resized).jpg

#222 7 years ago

Assembling and packing flipper mechs into L & R pairs.

flipperspacked (resized).jpgflipperspacked (resized).jpg

fl1 (resized).jpgfl1 (resized).jpg

#223 7 years ago

Finishing the first batch of Drop Target coils - cleaning the enamel from the wires ready for terminating.

dtcoil2 (resized).jpgdtcoil2 (resized).jpg

dtcoil4 (resized).jpgdtcoil4 (resized).jpg

dtcoil1 (resized).jpgdtcoil1 (resized).jpg

dtcoil3 (resized).jpgdtcoil3 (resized).jpg

#224 7 years ago

Continuing on with the assembly of thousands of clear flipper buttons.

First all parts must be checked for any swarf and then for fit as a finished assembly.

fb2 (resized).jpgfb2 (resized).jpg

fb3 (resized).jpgfb3 (resized).jpg

fb4 (resized).jpgfb4 (resized).jpg

fb1 (resized).jpgfb1 (resized).jpg

#225 7 years ago

Forgot to put this picture up yesterday of the boxes of assembled flipper mechs.

Our new waterfall painting room was delivered this morning - we need to add air filtering on the extraction side, build a 1.2M extension in front and add air in filtering as well as suitable air outlet ducting. We will also build a lightweight gantry system so that cabinets can easily be slid into and out of the painting room by one person.

Having this part built for us saves a lot of time and effort as the hard parts are mainly done.

flippermechs (resized).jpgflippermechs (resized).jpg

paintingroom1 (resized).jpgpaintingroom1 (resized).jpg

paintingroom2 (resized).jpgpaintingroom2 (resized).jpg

#226 7 years ago

Nickle plated plunger knobs freshly back from the platers.

....and, testing our new rubbers to make sure they perform as we expect.

PlungerKnobs (resized).jpgPlungerKnobs (resized).jpg

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Why packing everything in plastic, are the parts for resale?

It's amazing how much dust gets on things when they sit on a shelf even for a couple of weeks. We want to make sure everything is perfect when we start assembling machines very soon.

#231 7 years ago

I visited the small family business that does most of our metal stamping yesterday to see how things are coming along.

They are currently making a set of metal stamping dies for a playfield micro switch bracket and also a very complex set of dies for making the lockdown bar receiver mechanisms.

switch bracket1 (resized).jpgswitch bracket1 (resized).jpg

switch bracket2 (resized).jpgswitch bracket2 (resized).jpg

ldb2 (resized).jpgldb2 (resized).jpg

ldb1 (resized).jpgldb1 (resized).jpg

#232 7 years ago

I visited the factory that assembles our surface mount parts on circuit boards yesterday. This is quite a specialised job and I don't want to gear up for it.

They were making COB's while I was there (Chip On Board). This process involves gluing the I.C. chip to the printed circuit board and then welding very fine gold wires to the PCB and the chip.

The chips are so tiny it is amazing. The videos show the wire welding machine in action and a guy testing the finished boards before the chips and wires are covered with a "glob" of black epoxy.

These boards are for electric toothbrushes.

In one room, at the end of the PCB assembly process a worker was using an automated testing machine that checked the boards for accuracy of placed parts and for any other things wrong.

The last video shows the assembly of some novelty clock radios.

cob boards (resized).jpgcob boards (resized).jpg

COB_Close (resized).jpgCOB_Close (resized).jpg

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

while I won't say that I'm a fan of the theme (thunderbirds were never a huge hit here in the states)

Thanks for your comments. Note that Thunderbirds is Homepins FIRST pinball machine NOT the only one we will be making. Thunderbirds is targeted at countries OTHER than the USA although I can say I have had serious interest from the US about it.

Perhaps one of our machines that we produce in the future will be more to your liking?

Once we have made all of the parts and got everything up and running we will be able to work on different future machines.

#253 7 years ago

The final parts to arrive before we close for Chinese New Year on Monday.

Most places we deal with are already closed so there won't be any updating of this thread for a couple of weeks.

pivot (resized).jpgpivot (resized).jpg

pivot2 (resized).jpgpivot2 (resized).jpg

#256 7 years ago

Despite my comments in the last post we did actually manage to get a few more things done before officially closing for the New Year break. The factory is now closed for two weeks with almost all staff going back to their home towns.

We fitted the bearings to the auto plunger pivot blocks (using some bearing lock), finished off some more plunger shafts, folded some more brackets (various) and assembled additional flipper plunger assemblies.

The last staff here put up the traditional Chinese "good luck" signs around our doors. I'm told it says something like "Best wishes for a very prosperous businesses year" - but it could say anything and I wouldn't know LOL

assemblebearings (resized).jpgassemblebearings (resized).jpg
bearings2 (resized).jpgbearings2 (resized).jpg
plunger3 (resized).jpgplunger3 (resized).jpg
plunger4 (resized).jpgplunger4 (resized).jpg
folding (resized).jpgfolding (resized).jpg
plunger1 (resized).jpgplunger1 (resized).jpg
plunger2 (resized).jpgplunger2 (resized).jpg

cny1 (resized).jpgcny1 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#257 7 years ago

The Homepin factory is officially back to work today. Many others around us are back as well but certainly not all. A few of our key suppliers that we called today didn't answer so it looks like they won't be back until next week. This is a difficult time of year because it writes off a couple of months with the lead up to and then the tailing away of Chinese New Year.

Homepin still has three staff away and they are not due back until next week.

At least we were able to set off some fireworks (fireworks are banned in Australia - they can only be set off by licenced people under strictly controlled conditions).

fw2 (resized).jpgfw2 (resized).jpg

fw1 (resized).jpgfw1 (resized).jpg

#260 7 years ago

It's a pinball rubbery kind of day here as the rubber factory just dropped off thousands of our fresh rubbers.

RUBBERS1 (resized).jpgRUBBERS1 (resized).jpg

RUBBERS3 (resized).jpgRUBBERS3 (resized).jpg

RUBBERS2 (resized).jpgRUBBERS2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#264 7 years ago

Yes, we have been super busy this past couple of weeks. The things I post here and on Facebook are only a very small percentage of what we are doing on a daily basis.

Below is a short video showing a simple machine we cobbled together to colour mark white wire as you cannot buy 'wire with a trace colour' in China so we have to make our own. Yes, I know there are other ways and yes, I know it's slow, but we just put a roll of white wire on and leave the machine to choof away at its own pace.

We are also doing the assembly of all the parts that make up our plunger assemblies. The knobs came back from the platers finally (after Chinese New Year).

A new batch of replacement pinball boards are being tested ready for packing.

A heap of wiring harness assemblies being made for our Hankin tables (another container shipped out on Tuesday for Melbourne).

I hope you can make sense of which picture is which below.

plungerassembly (resized).jpgplungerassembly (resized).jpg

plungerhousings (resized).jpgplungerhousings (resized).jpg

plunger1 (resized).jpgplunger1 (resized).jpg

plungerknobs (resized).jpgplungerknobs (resized).jpg

plungersprings1 (resized).jpgplungersprings1 (resized).jpg

plungersprings2 (resized).jpgplungersprings2 (resized).jpg

plungersshaft (resized).jpgplungersshaft (resized).jpg

testingpcbs (resized).jpgtestingpcbs (resized).jpg

harnesses (resized).jpgharnesses (resized).jpg

harnesses2 (resized).jpgharnesses2 (resized).jpg

loading1 (resized).jpgloading1 (resized).jpg

loading4 (resized).jpgloading4 (resized).jpg

loading3 (resized).jpgloading3 (resized).jpg

loading5 (resized).jpgloading5 (resized).jpg

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Appreciate the insight to manufacturing from scratch.
Just a comment, not trying to be offensive -
In regards to the container packing as someone who has unloaded containers, I would appreciate having pallets underneath to make it a lot easier to pull the boxes out.
If you are worried about quarantine with timber pallets, I'm sure you could get plastic ones.

No offence taken - plastic pallets cost 80RMB each (about $12 USD) x 20 = an extra $240 - my customers won't pay for that.

I'm happy to include them when the customer wants to pay for it.

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

no issue, if they are heat treated.

heat treated wooden ones are not acceptable for Australia, you need chemically treated pallets WITH a certificate of compliance and a stamp on each pallet. This costs far more than 80RMB.

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Tell me about it. We had a whole container rejected once going into Austraila.... what a pain in the ass.

Yes, I had a container held by AQIS once many years ago and had to pay for extra trucking and fumigation (as well as an extra 4 days on the wharf) - all up it cost me nearly an extra $3000. You can be certain I learned a valuable lesson from that.

Our pinball packing boxes have a mini pallet built in and are made from 100% cardboard.

2 weeks later
#276 7 years ago

I know it seems pretty stupid to be making what many will consider an 'off the shelf' item but here in China you simply cannot buy the exact screws that I want to see holding all the parts to the underside of our playfields. We have been using standard philips head screws for all of our testing but today the custom made "Homepin" screws were delivered from the screw factory.

There are two lengths of hex/philips screws and one smaller philips only type.

The video shows the small factory that is very close to us making numerous screws and, on the day I visited last, they were actually making our smaller ones.

They start with a piece of wire that the head shape is stamped into then the blanks go into another machine that stamps the thread. After the screw shape is made they are sent off to the foundry for hardening and then the platers for gold plating.

The pictures show various stages of manufacture then the finished products being delivered to us today.

screw_blank (resized).jpgscrew_blank (resized).jpg

goldscrews (resized).jpggoldscrews (resized).jpg

finished_screws (resized).jpgfinished_screws (resized).jpg

screws_delivered (resized).jpgscrews_delivered (resized).jpg

screws (resized).jpgscrews (resized).jpg

#278 7 years ago

I ordered two new springs today from the spring factory.

They have just taken delivery of a couple of brand new CNC controlled machines and were putting them through their paces.

I never tire watching these amazing machines.

#285 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Naive question (you may been answered before): are you planning to sell some parts to other game manufacturers? Hobbyist working on homebrew games? Directly or via retailers?

Once our production is running smoothly we will be in a position to offer parts and assemblies to others. It could be a year away before we are able to do that.

#288 7 years ago

Some sample switch actuating wires were delivered for our final approval this morning from the spring factory. These are made using stainless steel spring wire and the samples fitted our bracket and worked the switch perfectly.

On the subject of the switch, we purchased these from a nearby switch factory and the pics below show the two most critical specifications we required. First is the operating force. This needs to be a lot lower than a standard micro switch so the ball won't hang on the wire if it's rolling slowly and the second is the operating life.

Naturally we checked and evaluated a lot of the other specifications to make sure that these were the best we can buy for the job but these two criteria were the most important for our application in pinball machines.

switch_actuators (resized).jpgswitch_actuators (resized).jpg

SW_Operating_Force (resized).jpgSW_Operating_Force (resized).jpg

SW_Life_Test (resized).jpgSW_Life_Test (resized).jpg

#291 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Why don't they go back to conventional leaf switches and Gottlieb rollover wireforms? With a leaf switch you can adjust the tension of the switch.

We looked at that but it's a lot more work to assemble them.

#294 7 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

I really like all the detaills you show about the pinball parts. Keep them comming!
Why are metal detector sensor not used more for ball detection? They are cheap and does not any need holes in the playfield. Why are mechanical switches still a thing in modern pinballs that create hanging balls, have wear or bent wires?

Metal sensors, well the cheaper ones anyway, can't detect through 1/2" of plywood reliably.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Mike, thanks for the peek behind the scenes, I love them. I was just wondering when can you start showing us snippets of the game?

There are so many different bodies that we are back and forwards to for licencing stuff it just isn't worth my time to figure out what I can show and what I can't. Keep in mind Stern shows their new machine a month before it goes on sale - I suspect for similar reasons.

Getting all of the legal stuff out of the way is a whole new minefield that many can't even begin to understand. It has also caused us to go back to the drawing board a few times further holding up proceedings.

Remember, making pinball is hard! LOL

#298 7 years ago

Mike: As it stands right now do you think you'll ship a finished pinball in 2017 or do you think it's more likely to be 2018? I'm not trying to pin you down to a shipping date or anything like that; I'm just kinda curious how close you think you are. Your progress and updates are fascinating.

We are pulling out all the stops to be shipping initial machines by the second half of this year. Once we have all the ducks lined up, production will flow from there without too many holdups that we can foresee mainly because we won't be relying on others for most of our parts.

The initial four containers will be going to Australia so I can't say for sure if any will make it to other countries this year or not.

#300 7 years ago

That's very cool! I don't really care where they're going; I was more curious about overall progress as making your own screws seems pretty far away from a complete machine since you can't import any parts. More pinball in the world is a good thing. Thanks for sharing with us here; I hope you make your second half goal.

We have numerous prototypes assembled with "ordinary" screws - that's when it became obvious to me that we would have to make our own that were more suitable for the job.

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Mike -
What about the Chinese market - are they into pinball?

Not at all but we are working on a few things that should attract their attention towards pinball.

Gary Stern was at the recent arcade machine show in Guangzhou and had two machines on display at his agents booth, a Ghostbusters and LOTR. I am unsure how much interest they had as I wasn't at the show but I do know they wanted 50K RMB for them (about AU$10K).

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

Do any arcades have those Chinese made bingo machines? I saw some in Cambodia a few years back.

No because they are too close to gambling machines. The arcades here are full of ticket redemption machines just like they are everywhere else.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Interesting. Heighway Pinball uses inductive sensors exclusively and has no switches sticking through the playfield. It seems to be working pretty well.

Like Forceflow said: Atarai used them as well but phased them out. Time will tell how well the Heighway ones work - reliability VS time and cost.

It's also about "making pinball" I have said right from the start that I am not trying to re-invent the wheel, just to make pinball. I'm taking what I believe to be the most straightforward route to having finished reliable machines. If we do introduce things that are different that will be done slowly and in a controlled situation so we can keep an eye on progress without causing too much disruption.

#316 7 years ago

Anyone trying to contact us at Homepin and having emails bounce please bear with us. Our service provider has been having major problems over the past few weeks and this has now culminated in their email service virtually shutting down yesterday.

Hopefully this will all be resolved in a day or so. In the meantime, urgent messages can be sent via Facebook or PM on this site although PM's do not always get to the correct person for an answer that you might be seeking.

https://twitter.com/WebcitySupport?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

#318 7 years ago

We get closer and closer every day. The PCBs for the top of our Pop Bumpers were delivered today. Now we can finish the assembly of the first batch of the PB's.

pop2 (resized).jpgpop2 (resized).jpg

pop3 (resized).jpgpop3 (resized).jpg

pop4 (resized).jpgpop4 (resized).jpg

#321 7 years ago

Emails seem to be back online this morning and the tweets from our service provider confirm this.

swbrackets (resized).jpgswbrackets (resized).jpg

#327 7 years ago

Continuing putting final assemblies together. These are the playfield switches.

assemble_switches (resized).jpgassemble_switches (resized).jpg

assemble_switches2 (resized).jpgassemble_switches2 (resized).jpg

#328 7 years ago

Our sample topper cover arrived today. A few checks on the hole sizes and positions and we are right to go with them. On Thunderbirds, ONLY pre-order buyers will receive a topper included in their purchase as was our original agreement. Toppers will not be for sale for TAG.

Naturally we will use these covers for toppers on future machines.

Topper1 (resized).jpgTopper1 (resized).jpg

topper2 (resized).jpgtopper2 (resized).jpg

#330 7 years ago

Our new spray painting booth is almost finished.

We added a couple of very high velocity extraction fans to improve airflow and upped the flow rate on the water curtain a little by up sizing the water feed pipes.

Just need to add a filter curtain at the doorway and we should be good to go.

PAINTROOM (resized).jpgPAINTROOM (resized).jpg

#333 7 years ago

I've mentioned this before but things are hotting up (pun intended) here in Shenzhen more recently.

There has been a few small factory fires in the area recently and the local fire department is on the warpath. They called a meeting yesterday and each factory in the area had to send a representative to a meeting to discuss fire safety and what is expected by the fire department.

About three or four hours after yesterdays meeting, yes, you guessed it, there was another fire but this time in someones dormitory. It looks a lot like someone was smoking in bed to me?

Anyway you can imagine how worked up the fire department is now, they are sending inspectors around everywhere to make sure all are complying with every single letter of the law as it relates to fire safety.

We are pretty right as we do more than is expected anyway but it's still a pain having to deal with them.

Two pictures are from the news this morning and the other two are from the meeting that we attended yesterday.

fire1 (resized).jpgfire1 (resized).jpg
fire3 (resized).jpgfire3 (resized).jpg
fire2 (resized).jpgfire2 (resized).jpg
fire4 (resized).jpgfire4 (resized).jpg

#334 7 years ago

We are moving forward with the assembly of many smaller items.

These are the playfield switch assemblies.

I've shown parts of them before but we are now making an initial run of 2000.

pfsw4 (resized).jpgpfsw4 (resized).jpg

pfsw3 (resized).jpgpfsw3 (resized).jpg

pfsw1 (resized).jpgpfsw1 (resized).jpg

pfsw2 (resized).jpgpfsw2 (resized).jpg

#336 7 years ago

Playfield_Switch_Assembly (resized).jpgPlayfield_Switch_Assembly (resized).jpg

sw_parts_list (resized).jpgsw_parts_list (resized).jpg

#338 7 years ago

are you still assembling circuit boards in house Mike?

Yes indeed but I'm being a little secretive about most of those just for the moment.

We have been busy tweaking video and audio files for licencing approval as well as fine tuning the software. Also some staff have been drawing up parts diagrams (as shown) and others are preparing things like packing box dimensions etc. as well as working out exactly what spare parts will be shipped with the initial shipments of finished machines.

Some blank PCBs that we will start assembling when the current public holiday is over here in China, shown here:

blankpcbs (resized).jpgblankpcbs (resized).jpg

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

are you working with ITV Studios on this?

Absolutely. Homepin Thunderbirds pinball is 100% licenced with the Thunderbirds owners, ITV London.

This was proven beyond doubt when the "SkitB/Predator" thing blew up and Pavlov Pinball (UK) phoned and received email confirmation from ITV that indeed, Homepin DOES have a licence to produce Thunderbirds pinball. Full Pavlov story here:

http://pavlovpinball.com/thunderbirds-pinball-may-2015-update/

The Homepin marketing manager is scheduled for a face to face meeting with ITV studios next month (June 2017) to finalise a few small details and also to sign the amendment to our licening contract for an extension due to several circumstances that have pushed back the release date of Thunderbirds.

ITV are happy with Homepin and our progress and have been excellent partners to work with on this project. I can only hope all our other current and future licence partners are as good.

#345 7 years ago

We are again experiencing email issues caused by our web host (Webcity).

I believe we are able to SEND emails but we are not receiving them.

Please bear with us if you are trying to contact anyone here at Homepin on our [email protected] email addresses.

#347 7 years ago

Thanks for the link Doug:

Hosting service's access to .au registry suspended

24 Mar 2017 at 15:17, John Leyden

Australian web service firm Enetica has provoked consternation among customers frustrated about a prolonged outage now entering its second day.

Enetica's web hosting and domain/DNS service have been down with limited intermittent availability at best since Thursday.

The latest updates from Webcity, Enetica's parent firm, suggest techies have isolated the problem down to hardware failure. "We are currently implementing replacement equipment and in the process of deploying it," an update to Webcity's official support account on Twitter said on Friday. Support staff had earlier suggested a network outage was behind the problem in between apologising to customers and trying to dispel rumours of a security breach or DDoS attack.

"To our customers, Webcity is a functioning entity. The outage being experienced isn't a security breach & your data hasn't been compromised," support staff said.

Complaints from customers on social media and in a thread on Reddit are piling the pressure on Enetica.

"Our website & emails are completely down due to an issue with our domain provider ‪@WebcitySupport‬/‪#enetica‬," said one aggrieved user.

El Reg learned of the ongoing problems from an Australian reader.

"[There's] still no 'actual' information as to whether this is a massive DDoS attack, hardware failure, config issue etc but the initial report of the problem on website's twitter feed was 17:00 on 22nd March," our tipster told us.

Enetica hosts more than 23,000 websites, according to figures from Builtwith.com. Most of its customers are SMEs.

#348 7 years ago

Our animators were playing around this afternoon........

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Video unavailable?

Works for me and I'm in China where Youtube is blocked? (I'm using a VPN of course).

#362 7 years ago

I have been asked recently, in several messages, about our cabinets. Some have asked if we are having them built by outside contractors. I will be clear here and say that Homepin is building our Hankin table and pinball cabinets 100% 'in-house'.

For pinball, we purchase the plywood sheets directly from the plywood factory manufactured to 'A0' standards and we ensure that the sheets are supplied with a test certificate (CARB is the equivalent rating for the USA). After cutting the cabinet parts we send some smaller sample pieces from the batch away for testing at an independent testing centre to make certain that the product we are using meets regulatory requirements for some of the countries we intend to ship finished goods to.

The sheets are then selected carefully so as to work around any minor blemishes or damage in delivery and the various parts required cut to shape on our CNC and table saw, depending on the part. These parts are then hand routed, spindle routed and drilled to take the glass rails, flipper and start buttons and many other holes for various parts.

The separate parts are then checked and matched together to make up a cabinet set - no matter how carefully you cut pieces, there is always some minor difference. Cabinet sets are then assembled together. We "glue and screw" all joints and then clamp the cabinet overnight to ensure the glue sets and the cabinet is square. (you can see I have ringed the three screws we put in the corner joints and then fill in one of the pics below).

After the cabinet carcass glue is dry, we add some of the reinforcing structure such as the 'triangles' in the corners of the cabinet that will support the corner leg plate and a few other wood parts.

Then the partly assembled cabinets are undercoated with a water based wood sealer/primer and left again overnight. The next day they are lightly hand sanded and any imperfections repaired with wood filler and hand finished as required.

They then go into our new spray booth and get a coat of black paint on the areas that require it. Not every panel is painted simply because the cost of the water based paint we use is unbelievably high. It is several times more expensive than an equivalent I can buy at Bunnings in Australia and we are buying it in bulk, directly from the paint manufacturer in Dongguan! Again, we make sure every batch of paint supplied comes with the correct "green" certificate to ensure it is lead and heavy metal free.

After painting, the surfaces that will have decals applied are lightly sanded again and any imperfections corrected before applying the decals (we apply them wet).

One thing we are more aware of than any other manufacturer is that Homepin is "Made in China". We are all well aware of the negative connotations sometimes attached to those words by a few. There is no way that I will allow it to be used negatively against anything we manufacture. China is perfectly capable of manufacturing very high quality goods.

It all comes down to the supervision and instruction on exactly what is expected. You cannot ever get that by simply buying a product from a Chinese factory - it rarely happens. Homepin operates on an entirely different level from many other Chinese factories. We are not driven solely by price as many are. For Homepin, quality comes first and price is a secondary consideration. If we are unable to make a quality product at a price that will sell then we just don't make it! I have canned a few projects because we would have had to make them 'down to a price' and I won't do that.

More on machine assembly at another time.

PS: Before the "negative nellies" jump in and comment, I am well aware that a couple of the inside pictures below of one of our factory test cabinets shows no earth braid installed. We most certainly ARE fitting earth braid - it just wasn't fitted to this test cabinet when these pictures were taken.

cab5 (resized).jpgcab5 (resized).jpg

cab6 (resized).jpgcab6 (resized).jpg

cab7 (resized).jpgcab7 (resized).jpg

cab1 (resized).jpgcab1 (resized).jpg

cab2 (resized).jpgcab2 (resized).jpg

cab3 (resized).jpgcab3 (resized).jpg

cab4 (resized).jpgcab4 (resized).jpg

#364 7 years ago

ohhhh. i see a cabinet fitted with decals and a backbox with the EL panel fitted
how many test cabinet have you built Mike?

I have lost count actually as many of the earlier ones have been broken down as we improved things. Probably over 20 at this stage?

We have seven test machines that are about to hit the streets - well, very shortly anyway for field testing. One of those might actually stay in the factory so maybe only 6 will go out. I have numerous expat bars, most within an hours drive from the factory, screaming at me to be test sites. These machines are 95% finished as they will be when we start production. Some minor PCB changes and a few other tweaks. We are very VERY close now.

Waiting on some final art and approvals right at the moment. We will also very likely change some of the audio a bit for the production machines but again, that will take more approvals and so more time.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Is there a playing whitewood created at this point and
now parts production is just what is left being developed?

We play our test games daily but I have said right from the outset that I will not be publicly releasing anything until we are ready to ship.

Too many things change and practically on a daily basis.

#371 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What joint are you using?

None of us here in the factory smoke

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Any Pinside members live near Shenzhen?

I do...oh, you mean any OTHERS - LOL

#377 7 years ago

A busy week here this week. We loaded and shipped out another 20' container of Hankin arcade tables - this one headed for Perth Australia.

We load the containers at our factory door and employ a local forklift owner to come and load for us as it isn't worthwhile owning a forklift ourselves. Sometimes the guy comes and other times (like yesterday) he sends his wife. She is much more careful than he is so we always prefer her doing the job.

After loading the shipping seal is affixed and remains intact until the container is delivered to Homepins customer so that nobody can tamper with the contents.

Final picture shows the truck driver handing the authorization sheet to the factory gate guards that proves Homepin has allowed this container of goods to leave our secure compound.

shipping5 (resized).jpgshipping5 (resized).jpg

shipping3 (resized).jpgshipping3 (resized).jpg

shipping1 (resized).jpgshipping1 (resized).jpg

shipping4 (resized).jpgshipping4 (resized).jpg

shipping2 (resized).jpgshipping2 (resized).jpg

#379 7 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Hi Mike,
After all the time you have spent in China, do you still think it was better than starting to manufacture in Australia? I know labour costs are way cheaper in China, but there seems to be a lot of headaches in China that wouldn't occur in Australia.
Not having a dig just curious on your opinion.

There certainly are a lot of headaches doing things here - even living here! The simple fact is though, most things to do with manufacturing are just so inexpensive here it would not have been remotely possible to do it in Australia.

I would never have considered doing this for one minute in Australia - just not possible.

Now if the Australian Govt wakes up to itself and starts offering incentives, like cheap rent, subsidised employees and tax breaks (like I get by being based in Hong Kong SAR) then I would consider moving the lot to Australia and just making the parts here. Then I would be assembling in Australia, much like American manufacturers do at the moment in the USA using a LOT of imported parts, mainly from China.

#382 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

As a guesstimate how far would you say you are from shipping games ?

We plan to exhibit TAG at the upcoming Pinfest, Newcastle Australia in September this year and I would hope to have machines in customers hands before that.

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Any plans to sell in the UK?

Part of our licence agreement stipulates that we have to provide one machine to ITV (London) so we plan to send a small shipment there to make it worthwhile. We are also in talks with an agent in the UK and the Homepin marketing manager is visiting London for a meeting with ITV and our possible agent in the next couple of months.

The chances are very high that Homepin machines will be available in the UK.

#385 7 years ago

We have started painting the cabinets for our first pinball machine - Thunderbirds. It has been a LONG road but we are finally near the end of it!

#387 7 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Hi Mike, Can you explain the waterfall inside the spray booth? I've never seen that before.

There are two huge extraction fans drawing air from the open door where I am standing taking this video UNDER the waterfall and up through air filters. The waterfall traps the over spray and it falls into the trough in the bottom and is filtered by the action of the water pump drawing the pool through a second set of filters.

#394 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The ply also looks like a much, much more expensive grade on the Homepin cabinet. The wood itself in the new Stern stuff isn't very dense - hence the lightness - and the layers don't seem to be sandwiched together very tightly.

Our ply is 11 laminates and is exceptionally high grade and expensive - BUT - I believe worth the small extra expense per machine.

#396 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Are you planning in going bigger with a spray booth?

We built this booth to the size we need for painting pinball cabinets. I can't think of any reason why we would want a larger one?

#401 7 years ago

We don't have the space for anything larger at this factory. Should we move we will consider making a second paint booth but at this stage I don't think we need it.

#403 7 years ago

It has to be remembered that Homepin is a new startup. We certainly do not have unlimited funds to get the job done. I would like nothing more than a factory twice the size, more engineers, bigger storeroom, air conditioned offices etc etc etc etc

There is only so much money I have to spend on every single item so, in the case of the spray booth as well as many other things, we built it to fit in the space we have available and to do the job we need to do right now.

Should we start selling 100 machines a week we will likely have the cash to then move to a bigger factory, hire 50 extra staff, build a bigger paint booth, air condition my office and all of the other things that would be 'nice' but currently simply not possible.

I can assure everyone that any budget that I had for this project has blown out 10 times over.

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

How many ramps / flippers?

About 8000 in stock.

#428 6 years ago

Second topper cover sample from the vacuum forming factory - looks very good 'in person'.

They made a few tweaks to our mould and they are ready to produce now.

topper_sample (resized).jpgtopper_sample (resized).jpg

#429 6 years ago

Checking the new serial number stickers fit OK. Looks good so far.

serial numbers (resized).jpgserial numbers (resized).jpg

#431 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Already up to 10009!

The printer made a few extra 'random' sheets when he was setting up so I'm using those for testing.

#436 6 years ago

Another batch of legs arriving from the powder coaters.

legs2 (resized).jpglegs2 (resized).jpg

legs1 (resized).jpglegs1 (resized).jpg

#437 6 years ago

We are doing a new run of Getaway turbo driver boards.

Getaway_Turbo_Boards (resized).jpgGetaway_Turbo_Boards (resized).jpg

#440 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Do u have a designer, or did a company simply reverse engineer the existing? Any other board replacements in the future?

We do ALL work ourselves, in house. We do not farm out any work like this. I am an electronic engineer as is Sid (both Australians) and we work in the factory full time and supervise all staff daily. Homepin makes an extensive range of replacement boards for older pinball machines. Probably about 30 different ones in all.

This pinball project won't work any other way. People who simply "farm work out" to Chinese companies very often find themselves in heaps of trouble. I am asked weekly to help "pick up the pieces" for companies who find themselves "screwed over" by not understanding how things work in China. As recently as yesterday I was asked to help a very large company who farmed out some work to a Chinese company and found their IP compromised.

In addition to myself & Sid, Homepin employs two Chinese electronic engineers and a dedicated PCB designer to initially set things up under our direct, daily supervision. We are about to employ two more engineers as well.

In the case of this particular board, I personally re-designed it several years ago but only ever made small batches in Australia. I put up a thread on Aussie Arcade at the time (4th Sept 2012). Thread here for anyone interested:

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/53766-NEW-BOARD-Getaway-Turbo-Magnet-Driver-PCB-A-15189

Having the factory here in China allows Homepin to build much larger quantities of our complete range of replacement boards far more easily than I ever could in Australia. I use the build of these boards to fill small gaps in production of our pinball and Hankin tables so there is always something for the staff to do.

Our USA agent for replacement boards is Pinball Life and they have a dedicated "Homepin Store" page on their website.

I hope the above clarifies things for those not familiar.

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I see 3 products on their site you said you have about 30 different replacement boards.
http://www.pinballlife.com/?p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=503&pg=1&pagesize=100

PL have run out of some items and haven't restocked. I can't force him to place an order.

#444 6 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

it would be nice to know what would be available .

I agree but there is more to the story than I wish to post publicly. I will be quick to say it has NOTHING to do with PL, I think Terry is a 100% stand up guy.

Sometimes things are not what they might seem looking from the outside.

We are changing to a new stock control system and when that is completed I will post the full list here.

#447 6 years ago

To put any gossip to bed it's USA customs being particularly dumb.

#450 6 years ago

Busy wiring the new jig so we can test each Getaway HSII Turbocharger Driver board in our Getaway machine before packing.

GetawayJig (resized).jpgGetawayJig (resized).jpg

#451 6 years ago

Getaway (resized).jpgGetaway (resized).jpg

#455 6 years ago

Assembling and then testing each Getaway Supercharger board before packing.

getawaysuperboard (resized).jpggetawaysuperboard (resized).jpg

#467 6 years ago

I'm a little surprised nobody has asked about the LM339 chips that we use in all of our replacement boards? This story is connected with:

"Why aren't all of your replacement boards for sale in the USA?" - a question that was raised last week in this thread.

I wasn't going to say much but I have been inundated with messages and emails asking for some clarification - - - so here we go.

Several months ago (probably 6 or more) I sent a fresh order of our replacement PCBs to Pinball Life. They were stopped at the border by USA customs. Nobody could get to the bottom of "why"? but eventually, a letter came through stating that customs were concerned that the chips used on the boards were copies or fake chips using the "T.I." logo.

I have used tens of thousands of these bog standard parts (LM339N) and was a bit taken aback by this sudden interest. To be fair to customs (and T.I.) I really have no way of knowing if the chips are real, fake or anything else. I buy them from the same place I have purchased most smaller runs of semiconductors for over 10 years now and have no reason to doubt their authenticity BUT I can't prove it.

So, I bought a batch of several thousands "generic" LM339 chips from a local semiconductor factory without any branding. We then stamp the Homepin logo on them here in the factory and use them in our products.

I sent another box of the newly made boards to Pinball Life and these were seized as well with the same explanations given. WTF!!!

It isn't possible that anyone even looked at these boards in the second box because there is NO T.I. logo - or any other logo for that matter, apart from the registered and trademarked Homepin logo! I add there is no copyright, patent or anything else over these replacement boards. In fact, they are actually copyright to Homepin.

USA customs refuse to talk to me and will only talk to the receiver of the goods - when Terry asks them a question, they won't respond!

If anyone is able to help (on a professional level, for pay) with this issue please contact me.

Until it can be resolved, USA customs is holding over $6K worth of goods and I'm not inclined to send any more as both Terry and I are substantially out of pocket at this point.

Here is a shot of our "new chips".

aust (resized).jpgaust (resized).jpg

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

So they suspected, but weren't sure?

That's exactly right. The "unofficial" letter they sent me after I pestered for over a month says they were sending them out for "expert analysis". I haven't heard zip for more than 6 months now.

Remember, there is every chance that these chips ARE in fact genuine T.I. parts as well!!!

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

Seeing they are socketed, could you not just send them without the LM339 and have Terry buy locally and install? I'm sure it won't be this easy but just my 2cents.

We considered that but then the boards are not "factory tested and sealed" and the potential for introducing problems and faults on the new boards climbs.

#475 6 years ago

A view of a prototype "Impact Target" we are using as "The Mole".

Impact Target2 (resized).jpgImpact Target2 (resized).jpg

Impact Target (resized).jpgImpact Target (resized).jpg

#477 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Cool, I had to look that up.

So how does it work? Does the rod retract as you hit it multiple times?

The harder you hit it - the deeper "The Mole" digs.

#478 6 years ago

Today the boys are moulding the cups for the playfield spotlights. Once done, they will be cleaned up and sent out to be 'plastic chromed'. These are made from 100% recycled POM - the spru from our own moulded parts.

The second part in the mould is the mounting frame for our playfield IR TX and RX pairs.

spots (resized).jpgspots (resized).jpg

spotsmake (resized).jpgspotsmake (resized).jpg

#481 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Surely they can't hold all that stock without just cause. It is so unfair. It sounds like you are being unfairly targeted for some reason. What a bunch of morons. Is there any grounds to appeal this?

They can do as they please and I can't do a single thing. They don't even have to respond to any letters I send them as they made clear to me when I badgered for a response.

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

i have a hunch the "re-engineered in Australia" might have set off some moron to believe they were re-marked goods. just a guess.

My letter to USA customs sets out quite clearly the origin of the goods and the status of all brand names and business registrations as well as trademarks.

3 weeks later
#494 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

He has been posting updates on aussie arcade

Yes, much happening here - just never enough hours in the day! The Homepin factory is working today (Sunday) as it is Dragon Boat Festival (public holiday) in China this Tuesday so the staff asked if they could swap Monday and Sunday so they can have two days off next week - which we are doing.

The enameled metal badges for the coin doors arrived through the week - shown below.

The first test run of cabinets are being painted up and we are honing our skills in that area. The water based paint we are using ticks all the boxes for being "green" and non polluting as well as easy to apply and has a fantastic silky gloss finish when dry. However it is extraordinarily expensive. The pictures below show the gear our staff have to wear by law when using it despite the paint being safe enough to drink!! Blanket "catch all" laws that defy logic sometimes.

Artwork is pretty well finalised but we are having to make some changes at the wishes of ITV so I am still unable to show anything there - same goes for specific playfield toys, juggling with ITV over details such as exact shade of the colours we are using and details of the wording to go on each toy. All this stuff seems to never end and is very frustrating.

I will post up some pictures of the toy factory we are using for some of the playfield toys later after I clean them up and size them. Very interesting how they make things and always fun to visit places like this.

door_logo2 (resized).jpgdoor_logo2 (resized).jpg

door_logo3 (resized).jpgdoor_logo3 (resized).jpg

cabpainting2 (resized).jpgcabpainting2 (resized).jpg

cabpainting3 (resized).jpgcabpainting3 (resized).jpg

cabpainting1 (resized).jpgcabpainting1 (resized).jpg

#495 6 years ago

I'm pleased to confirm that Homepin has negotiated and now signed an extension to our licence with ITV to produce Thunderbirds pinball machines.

The details are "commercial in confidence" but let me just say it is simply an amendment to our original licence that extends it as well as now including a Sony "sub-licence" for some of the original music (at extra cost naturally).

#499 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I can see from the pictures that some USA route operators are going to have carve up the front of the cabinet to install 2 chute bill acceptor coin doors. The single entry coin door will turn off some route operators from purchasing the machine.
Are those scratches in the paint on the coin door in your picture? What's those white scratches? Are the coin doors being powder coated?

The cabinets we are making here are our first sample run of six that will be used to site test machines in expat bars in China. The largest coin China has is 1RMB (about $0.18) so coins are not suitable for operating any coin-op here.

The final cabinet design will be offered in two versions. (I have drawings of the two fronts in my PC at work and will post them up later today - it's a public holiday here today so I will be late going in)

(1) Similar to the ones seen in the pics above with a small size coin door and a programmable, 8 coin electronic coin mech INCLUDED. Next to the door is provision for a note acceptor but the machine will be supplied with a blanking plate fitted from the factory.

(2) Not shown in this thread yet - version two which is very much like the FACTORY TEST DOOR shown in the picture with the badge above but it is a TWO SLOT door and will also be supplied with ONE electronic coin mech but the second slot will be available for a second mech.

Operators would be free to replace the door with a standard WMS style one - we can't supply them because Suzo-Happ (pretty well the only people making these doors these days) won't sell them to me at a sensible price even though they are made in the Suzo factory about two hours from Homepin (I have visited them and asked). A standard door will pretty much fit straight into the second cabinet choice but may not be required as they will be two slot doors.

The door picture above was to showcase THE BADGE - not the door. That door is one we use all over the factory to check for size and fit. I don't open up and unpack a new door every time I want to take a picture - note this door has a ding top left and yes, plenty of scratches. It happens to be a single slot door because that is what was supplied to me by the door factory as a sample.

Guys, please don't get picky or anal about things I put up here. Mostly it is ADVANCE information and pictures of a job that is still in progress. Also, I did already explain exactly what these six cabinets were for (local use) - the USA has special requirements for doors etc AND SO DO OTHER COUNTRIES!

Once again, the PRIMARY market for Homepin Thunderbirds pinball machine IS NOT the USA. Yes, it will be sold in the USA but that is NOT our primary target market for this machine and never has been.

#501 6 years ago

Here are a few pics I took when visiting the toy factory that we are using recently. They make soft rubber toys from vulcanizing a special coloured liquid that they pour into moulds so they build up the item layer by layer. This means that nothing is painted and all the different colours are fused together making one solid item.

They can't make tiny detail but the finished product is perfect for our pinball toys.

toys1 (resized).jpgtoys1 (resized).jpg

toys6 (resized).jpgtoys6 (resized).jpg

toys2 (resized).jpgtoys2 (resized).jpg

toys4 (resized).jpgtoys4 (resized).jpg

toys5 (resized).jpgtoys5 (resized).jpg

toys3 (resized).jpgtoys3 (resized).jpg

#502 6 years ago

Our order of topper covers was delivered recently.

This first run from the mould we commissioned is for 250 pieces.

Storage space is starting to become a bit of an issue for us.

toppercovers2 (resized).jpgtoppercovers2 (resized).jpg

toppercovers1 (resized).jpgtoppercovers1 (resized).jpg

#505 6 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

Is that 250 topper covers just for Thunderbirds machines Mike ?
or did you order extras to sell so people can fit them to "other" machines ?

I wish it were true that we needed this many for pre-orderers of Thunderbirds. This was the minimum quantity I could order and that was after paying several thousand for the mould.

We will use them on future machines but again, it creates a storage problem that is getting more worrying.

#507 6 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

I'm sure there might be some Fish Tales and White Water owners that would be interested in them

They are made to the EXACT specifications of the original Williams ones - EXACT!

#513 6 years ago

We made new racks to keep the topper covers, legs and speakers safe until needed.

Next job is to extend the store to include the new racks.

newrack (resized).jpgnewrack (resized).jpg

#517 6 years ago

A small part of our GI lighting setup.

Before someone points it out, I used two 470R resistors stacked on top of one another as we didn't have the correct ones when I built up this sample board originally.

These are built on 0.4MM printed circuit board.

sling_gi4 (resized).jpgsling_gi4 (resized).jpg
sling_gi2 (resized).jpgsling_gi2 (resized).jpg
sling_gi3 (resized).jpgsling_gi3 (resized).jpg
sling_gi1 (resized).jpgsling_gi1 (resized).jpg

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Looks good !

One question about seeing bare components - if a pinball gets stuck behind the rubber somehow, can it short something ??

Possibly - it would pop the GI fuse if that happened.

We are concentrating on getting OUR machines into production before we are worrying about any outside sales of our parts. Excepting the replacement boards that we already make of course.

#525 6 years ago

A box full of door badges was delivered today!

badges (resized).jpgbadges (resized).jpg

#527 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Looking good Mike. With things getting closer now! Are you planning on sending another update to pre order buyers soon? As you have done in the past. It would be appreciated. Cheers

It would have gone out by now actually but James is in London meeting with ITV to finalise a few details and he will get it out very shortly.

#528 6 years ago

These are our six demo cabs that will be sited in expat bars in China very shortly (they will have note acceptors fitted).

We will decal them up in a day or so but I want to get a different type of "not so sticky" protective plastic before we do that so we can slap it on the fresh decals to prevent damage.

The wheeled trolleys have been designed and built so they have a protective wood rail all around the cabinet to help with that as well as being built so the machine is at the correct incline for playing without fitting legs.

Second pic is from the office level of the factory:

cabs (resized).jpgcabs (resized).jpg

cabs2 (resized).jpgcabs2 (resized).jpg

#531 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Hi Mike, I understand that the cabs are sprayed with a clear before being sprayed black. Do you intend to paint the inside of the cabs?

We don't intend to at this stage. The "green" paint we are using is amazingly expensive. I will revisit that we we have a final BOM and see if we can justify it.

#536 6 years ago

On the paint - we are actually painting MORE of the cabinet than WMS and the others did back in the day.

Think about what you actually see when the machine is finished? The top and back of the backbox, the top insides above the playfield and the back of the main cabinet - that's it.

We are also painting the underside of the cabinet and this (to my knowledge) was never painted by any other manufacturer.

#538 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Hoping to see a pic of play field soon!

The reason I haven't shown anything about the playfield is that we are still waiting final artwork approvals for several items relating to the PF. I'm not able to show anything just yet. Licensing is a very complex process.

#542 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Will there be an option for a typical American style coin door with 2 coin mechs and a bill acceptor,
or just the single coin slot style door?

I have actually mentioned this several times but again for continuity:

The six cabinets we are currently building will be sited in China. The largest coin in China is the 1RMB (about $0.18) so we need to fit a note acceptor.

Our finished machines will be offered in two versions:

(1) The one you see in our pictures with a small door and cutout panel for a note acceptor...and

(2) A standard, full size, two slot coin door.

In BOTH versions Homepin supplies a computerised, programmable coin mechanism - included with every machine.

Pre-purchasers will be receiving an email soon asking for their choice.

It is also highly unlikely that any machines from the first 4 or 5 containers will find their way to the USA. That will come later.

#543 6 years ago

Our spotlights are finished. We made the injection mould for the reflector and moulded them 'in-house' using recycled plastic from other parts we have made. Then we sent them out to be plastic plated with a chrome finish.

Designed up the 1mm thick PCBs and used a standard metal mounting bracket easily available to us here.

The focal point of the reflector caused quite a bit of discussion when we were making the mould but it turned out PERFECT!

It's designed to operate on our standard G.I. Light supply of 12V DC.

I didn't take a picture of it working because it just doesn't photograph well as it is too bright.

spot3 (resized).jpgspot3 (resized).jpg

spot1 (resized).jpgspot1 (resized).jpg

spot2 (resized).jpgspot2 (resized).jpg

#547 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Now that's impressive!

The first 4/5 containers will be to various ports that we already ship to in Australia (all around the country) and will very likely be 'mixed' containers of pinball machines, Hankin tables and other goods that we make for different companies.

We already ship between 6 and 10 containers a year to Australia right now and have done for several years already.

So they won't necessarily be containers full of ONLY pinball machines.

#548 6 years ago

We are finally seeing a lot of the "fruits of our labour" from the last couple of years as lots of finished parts start to come together and also outside parts being delivered.

Here is an order of playfield posts we ordered from a local CNC company, nickle plated and ready to use!

pfposts1 (resized).jpgpfposts1 (resized).jpg

pfposts2 (resized).jpgpfposts2 (resized).jpg

#551 6 years ago

Staff photo taken this afternoon for the re-vamped website.

staff_7_June_2017 (resized).jpgstaff_7_June_2017 (resized).jpg

#556 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

It's unlikely that Mike will have the test machines sited by then. (Correct me if I'm wrong Mike) But if so, take a few sneaky pics and a video or two and PM me.

It will come down to approvals we are waiting for before we can have a few final toys made. We are going back and forth mainly with the colours of these toys. The IP owner doesn't have any Pantone info so we have to basically guess and that's a bit of an issue at the moment.

#561 6 years ago

A lot happening this week in the Homepin factory.

We are assembling up a run of 400 flipper boards - these are replacements for WMS type1 boards but with our design changes. We make these "4 x up" meaning four boards together and they are snapped apart after assembly and testing.

Also finished another batch of pop bumper rings so that we can make a second run of pop bumper assemblies. Sid also made up an excellent test jig so we can adjust the pop bumper spoon switch on the bench and test the correct functioning of the three light circuits.

The video below is me operating the jig AND taking the video - we have a much more regimented system in place for the actual adjustment and testing procedure.

We are also double checking the kicker assemblies that we made six months ago to confirm they are all 100%.

flipperboards1 (resized).jpgflipperboards1 (resized).jpg
flipperboards2 (resized).jpgflipperboards2 (resized).jpg
pbrings (resized).jpgpbrings (resized).jpg
kickers (resized).jpgkickers (resized).jpg
pbjig (resized).jpgpbjig (resized).jpg

#562 6 years ago

There has been some comment in other threads on Pinside about the viability of Homepin as a manufacturer mainly brought about by the problems faced by other new pinball startups recently so I would like to set the record straight.

The very first thing that needs to be understood is that Homepin are currently manufacturers - today - right now! We currently ship a container about every 6 weeks of Hankin arcade tables.

Homepin also ships an average of 300 replacement PCBs for existing pinball machines per month. In fact we sent over 600 just last week by EMS to two resellers.

We are not relying on selling pinball machines to survive. Homepin already has a profitable manufacturing business and a fully functioning factory. We are playing our FINISHED prototype pinball machines daily. We can't show them yet because some artwork is not approved and some toys cannot be manufactured yet due licencing procedures. James from Homepin is currently (in fact today) in a face to face meeting with ITV in London to discuss some of these holdups and find a smooth way forward that suits all parties.

Homepin already has firm orders for at least two containers of Thunderbirds pinball machines for the USA. We will not be able to build these until our obligations to Australian customers are fulfilled so they won't be ready for the USA until, at the earliest, mid next year.

Anyway - I do find it necessary to defend myself when a few naysayers start spouting crap with no knowledge of what they are talking about and zero knowledge of my background. These naysayers conveniently overlook the FACT that Homepin is already a well established business in the amusement machine industry. We are nothing like all of the other recent startups in that we already have our own factory, existing products to manufacture and sell and we are simply adding to our range of products with our own pinball machines.

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

I must have missed something. I thought you weren't planning on selling to US at all? Anyway, glad to hear some Thunderbirds will be making their way here and I hope I get a chance to play one!

There is a misunderstanding - what I said was that my original intention was that Thunderbirds pinball machines WERE NOT TARGETED at USA customers because I am well aware that the theme is not very well known in the USA. It is, however, VERY well known in many other countries and they are my target (but not ONLY) market for TAG.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks for the corrections to my comments. Didn't realize there was so much going on already. Excuse my ignorance.
If I could respectfully make two suggestions:
1) Don't get into pissing contests on the forum. That's for idiots like me. You're bigger than that.
2) Make a good Back to the Future pin

Both of your suggestions are very right! We would love to make a BTTF - it's penciled on our wall along with many other names.

#569 6 years ago

A quick note to say I have taken the advice of numerous people who were pestering me about the "basic" Homepin website and have commissioned for it to be upgraded.

It was basic because I made the original site many years ago myself using HTML. The new one is being done by 'professionals' so I guess that explains why it is taking longer, is currently messed up if you look at www.homepin.com and why I am no longer able to change things (as easily) as I did on the old site.

Anyway, just a note to explain why it is currently messed up - all should be fixed within a few days.

#571 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

My workplace commissioned a website from a "professional". The damn thing nearly took 12 months. What a bloody headache that was. I hope you have a better experience than I did and the Homepin site turns out like you hope.

All reasons why I originally made it myself. We will see, this guy seems pretty quick, just that the 'naysayers' have been quick to spot that the site isn't working correctly at the moment...LOL

#574 6 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

professionals who work live... oh dear.

Yes...and no. They made the site and sent it to me to upload - things are not quite right at the moment.

#576 6 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

ahh so its your fault

Naturally - isn't everything? Probably the typhoon we are in the middle of right now is down to me as well

TyphoonJune2017 (resized).jpgTyphoonJune2017 (resized).jpg

#577 6 years ago

The Homepin website is now sorted out. I can nibble away at changing it slowly now.

#582 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

website's looking more modern and clean - maybe the USA distributor for AMD is meant to be NSW, and touching AMD takes you to Pinball Life

Quoted from Mancave:

Clicking on the Balls 'n' All image takes you to PinballShop.nl although if you click on the writing it does take you to Balls 'n' All

Thanks for the heads up - obviously some sus links - I'll have a look later.

EDIT: OK, sorted those links as well as another that was also incorrect. Thanks again guys.

#586 6 years ago

Finishing off the batch of flipper opto boards this week and starting to wire our pop bumper assemblies with the automotive socket and fit the LED board to the top. The testing jig that Sid made is working well.

We are also double checking the knocker assemblies that we made some time ago now readying them for use.

Another job started this week is the assembly of our 3 x drop target assemblies (for Thunderbirds these will be "F.A.B.).

flip1 (resized).jpgflip1 (resized).jpg

flip2 (resized).jpgflip2 (resized).jpg

bump1 (resized).jpgbump1 (resized).jpg

bump2 (resized).jpgbump2 (resized).jpg

knock2 (resized).jpgknock2 (resized).jpg

knock1 (resized).jpgknock1 (resized).jpg

drop1 (resized).jpgdrop1 (resized).jpg

#588 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Awesome, how did the ITV approvals go?

We made good progress with a few niggly things but the most constructive thing to come from the meeting was that they agreed to allow us to show the machine at Pinfest (Newcastle Australia) regardless of the approvals status at that time.

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Great to hear! I will be at Pinfest so really looking forward to seeing this in person. Is the plan to ship other pins(pre order) with the ones coming to Pinfest? It's been so long now it would be disappointing if your unable, waiting on approvals.
Good luck with rest of build....I'm working out where I'm going to put it! Have my Dr Who listed on AA, hope it sells before TAG arrives.

The honest answer is I just don't know. We are stalled on the manufacture of some toys and elements of the playfield at this time and we just have to work through that to appease the rights owners. There is nothing we can do to speed that up - other than be prompt with our changes at their request.

The machine for Pinfest has to ship in 75 days so it is very unlikely that we will have additional machines (built with full approval) by then.

#593 6 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Is there a US distributor for your pin?

Yes.

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Also Mike, who is programming and coding the game? Did I miss this?

I'm not at liberty to discuss distributors outside Australia at this stage.

All design of the machine, mechanisms, printed circuit boards, ALL artwork, programming and every other DESIGN aspect is being done by Australians and Europeans. The manufacture and assembly is being done in the Homepin factory by our Chinese staff supervised by three Australians.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Im enjoying following this whole process, but I cant help but think: "By the time this guys builds a machine, pinball will be out of style again!" LOL.

We are ready to produce machines pretty much straight away. We are making quantities of our (already designed) mechanisms as you can see from the pictures I have been showing. Licencing is becoming a slowdown at this point but we will get there.

You need to realise that Stern works on a machine, sometimes for YEARS before you know about it. We didn't have the luxury of keeping our activities quiet.

#599 6 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Is there a US distributor for your pin?

Oh...we are not making "a pin" - we are becoming a pinball machine manufacturer.

Thunderbirds happens to be our "first" pinball machine. We have many others in the pipeline.

#601 6 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

Hi,
It has been mentioned earlier that Pinballife will be the initial U S Distributor,they already have some of Homepins products on their website.
Surely do not know if any of that has changed........let's hope not,Pinballife would be a great U S distributor IMO

They are certainly a Homepin PARTS distributor and I hope will remain so.

#607 6 years ago

Applying the decals to our test cabs getting them ready for final fit out.

Also making a plastic injection mould for a small part in one of our mechanisms.

The black plastic part shown below is one we made from nylon by hand as a test piece.

decals2 (resized).jpgdecals2 (resized).jpg
CABS3 (resized).jpgCABS3 (resized).jpg
CABS4 (resized).jpgCABS4 (resized).jpg
decals1 (resized).jpgdecals1 (resized).jpg
part2 (resized).jpgpart2 (resized).jpg
part1 (resized).jpgpart1 (resized).jpg
mould2 (resized).jpgmould2 (resized).jpg
mould1 (resized).jpgmould1 (resized).jpg

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

Is that the final art? I think it looks very nice.

Yes, that is approved artwork.

#614 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

That black plastic piece looks like a light chopper for some some of optical encoder. Maybe a steering control or shaft encoder?

Well spotted. It is the encoder wheel for our Mole Impact Target. It measures how far back the target has been hit.

I believe we will have other uses for this part that's why we are making our own mould and we will inject it ourselves.

#615 6 years ago

We needed some additional plastic colours for the first full run of our various small plastic parts that we are making in house. I called at the masterbatch suppliers late last week and picked up a few KGs of each colour we want to use.

This colour material is added to the base material in a pretty careful percentage to give the results shown on the colour swatches shown in the book.

colour1 (resized).jpgcolour1 (resized).jpg
colour4 (resized).jpgcolour4 (resized).jpg
colour5 (resized).jpgcolour5 (resized).jpg
colour3 (resized).jpgcolour3 (resized).jpg
colour2 (resized).jpgcolour2 (resized).jpg
colour6 (resized).jpgcolour6 (resized).jpg

#617 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Fascinating. Is this a different material to the vulcanised rubber used at the toy factory you visited earlier in the thread?

Yes, it is totally different. These are plastic pellets that mix with the base material (white) to make the colour you desire. The finished pellet mix is fed into the plastic injection machine where it is melted and mixed by the machine to make an even couloured batch of plastic ready to inject into the mould. The finished products made are solid plastic like a TV remote control case.

The rubber mix is a rubber liquid that vulcanises and sets firm BUT still remains a little 'springy'.

#619 6 years ago

Cutting yet another test playfield on our CNC machine.

#621 6 years ago

Testing the new mould for the opto spinner. The injection machine is loaded with white plastic at the moment but these parts will be moulded in black for the best operation with the opto-isolators we are using.

The mould is working well but needs a few small tweaks.

testmould (resized).jpgtestmould (resized).jpg

#622 6 years ago

New boards just arrived.

girollover (resized).jpggirollover (resized).jpg

#625 6 years ago

We call them "spanners" LOL

#629 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Happy milestone day.

Thanks, I'll pass your compliments on to my deceased wife.

If you have nothing pleasant or positive to stay then please don't post in my thread!

#632 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

????? I think he was commending you on the anniversary of you announcing you were moving to china to start your own factory:
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/homepin-pinball-presents-5.3499/

No. He's just a troll who has been stalking me for 4 years.

#634 6 years ago

Looks like I won't be commenting much more in this thread. I won't tolerate trolling or waste my time when people do.

The mention of TAG as TBAG is an immediate insult that I simply will not put up with.

I'm just too busy to put up with stupid posts like this from people who are not interested in me, my products or any sensible discussion.

Anyone interested please follow my Facebook page where I am able to moderate the idiots off the page.

Thanks for following to the rest.

@Robin. You really need to clean up this site! For your info, this person is banned from Aussie Arcade - With good reason.

#662 6 years ago

Thanks for the support and positive responses to all of you following this thread.

It's 7.30AM here and I'm getting ready for work so I will post a full response when I arrive at work.

Robin has done the right thing and I thank him for that. Let's hope it's the start of a turnaround for Pinside.

Let's not clog the thread with any more troll talk and I will update things shortly.

#669 6 years ago

I will post a "short as possible" recap for those that probably have little or no idea of the background story. I'll keep it as short and concise as I can.

About 5 years ago, my wife of nearly 40 years, Karen & I decided the time was right to expand our activities and build pinball machines. We were already well established in China with a trading company, an office in the electronics market and staff in China.

We set aside money for the venture and arranged the license for Thunderbirds. We identified our potential (initial) target market and away we went.

All of our business life we have structured our affairs so that Karen held all the assets and I held all of the liabilities. This is a very common practice in Australia but I am told it is not so common elsewhere.

Karen passed away nearly two years ago now, and I still think of her daily. I had no access to any funds for about eight months and almost went broke during this time. If it were not for my excellent and supportive agents who bought up containers of Hankin tables to help my cash flow until Karen's estate could be finalised.

During this time zero pinball development work could be done as every penny was spent paying staff and rent.

Then, before Karen's estate was resolved, our programmer died in his sleep in his dormitory (he was only 43). I had to find almost AU$50K to pay out his family - money I didn't have to spare right at this critical time that's for sure.

Anyway, all of these things as well as 2000 more are responsible for the one year delay in our plan to bring the pinball factory to life. I am very grateful to the small number of TAG pre-order buyers who have stood by our efforts during this time and my supportive agents. I accept that all delays are ultimately my responsibility and I have to deal with it but sometimes 'shit happens' and there isn't a lot you can do about it.

Believe me, when Karen passed away I could have very easily just thrown my hands in the air, walked out the door and thrown the keys away but Karen wouldn't have wanted all of our hard work and planning to end like that.

To be reminded at this time (Karen's 2 year anniversary of passing) about the four years since announcement, by a callous and careless post, made by a well known troll already banned on Australian forums for some time now, well, it was just too much for me. The TBAG thing I take as (usually) a well intentioned joke - that's fine, I have a good sense of humor I believe. But the four years thing was just too much for me when the full story is known.

Thanks for reading, let's get back to life in China and development of all things pinball.

#670 6 years ago

I have had my hands full this past week showing two guests around the factory. Stefan from RS Pinball in Austria (yes, AUSTRIA not Australia - LOL) visited first then Tommy from Nitro Pinball in Canada.

Both gentlemen I have not personally met before but both thoroughly genuine and charming guys. It was my genuine pleasure to show both visitors what we have achieved and developed over the past few years.

Stefan (resized).jpgStefan (resized).jpg

tommy (resized).jpgtommy (resized).jpg

#672 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Mike, did you catch the guy that sprayed paint all over that backglass?

Thanks for the laugh, well received today.

There is one small element of the translite that is still pending approval after several changes so I can't show it just yet, but very soon I hope.

You can see the bottom part .....

#685 6 years ago

I wonder if Stern knows they have posted me on their Facebook page?? LOL

SternFacebook1 (resized).jpgSternFacebook1 (resized).jpg

SternFacebook3 (resized).jpgSternFacebook3 (resized).jpg

#694 6 years ago

"Mike is a bully and a wanker."

....and this post is the exact explanation of why we can't have good things.......there is always a spoil sport.

Thank you again to the mods for reacting appropriately.

#697 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I thought I read that no second hand items cannot be brought into China. Is that true?
does that mean in China there is not an arcade like we have had in America? Wondering.
I can see then China having all new Chinese manufactured equipment in the arcades but not say twilight zone?

Yes, you are 100% correct. You cannot bring anything secondhand into China.

We have even been pulled up at the border bringing a used metal pinball skirt into China - a bent piece of metal!

#706 6 years ago

Member "Oldschool1969" is downvoting many posts in this thread. He is also a well known troll and "Homepin hater" for reasons unknown to me.

I am outing "Oldschool1969" and putting you on notice about your antisocial actions.

I will be making a complaint directly to Robin about you and believe me, he has grown very tired of childish behavior like yours.

If you have a beef with me then grow some balls and come out and say what that is so I can address it. Otherwise bugger off from my thread!

#708 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Don't worry so much about downvotes. It's a public forum.

I'm not but I am well aware of this persons actions on another forum where he has been warned by the mods on numerous occasions for exactly this type of negative and disruptive behaviour.

Robin is working on a system that allows the OP of a thread to delete posts or block members in that thread. That system would resolve this issue once and for all.

Why have the last 10 or so posts been about crap like this???? I am just too busy right now to bother with clowns that seek to undermine what I am doing and make no mistake, Oldschool is certainly another of those.

#711 6 years ago

By now it should be pretty obvious to all following this thread exactly why no other manufacturers bother commenting on Pinside or showing what they do.

If and when they do, it's the same old bashing story from the same few Pinsiders and so they (like me) give up and move on. We have far better things to do.

Until Robin finishes the update that allows me to moderate the thread I'm unlikely to waste any more time updating it. I simply don't have the time to discuss and explain myself to the doubters and pests. I am the moderator of my threads on AA and, even though I am able to, I have never needed to moderate a post on AA because people on there know (like oldskool) that they will get booted from the site quick smart if they cause trouble.

I don't mind showing what we are doing but I don't have time for the endless bullshit that a few carry on with here.

If those following this thread wish to see more I suggest you write a quick note to Robin and tell him about it. This place still needs a clean up and I know they are trying their best but......................

I 100% understand why Stern doesn't tolerate any nonsense on their FB page - they are simply too busy and, most times, it isn't constructive criticism it's just outright whining. They are certainly NEVER likely to post anything here.

See you at Pinfest Newcastle in October.

1 month later
#909 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Today: AUD $6499 = $5149 USD which is less expensive than a Stern Pro. I don't know how much it would cost to get one shipped to the US though.

AU$6499 includes Australian GST of 10% and shipping to Australia from our China factory. This won't be applicable shipped from the Homepin factory in China to the US.

We have a US agent and he will pop his head up when we are able to supply.

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like asking for trouble to leave the sides of the shaker motor open. Wonder why they just don't have a plastic bucket over it like everyone else that protects all sides from intrusion?

The stainless steel case completely encases the spinning weights. There is no way anything can get near any moving parts as long as the covers are left bolted to the frame - hence the warning to NEVER operate the shaker with the covers removed.

#953 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

homepin hey Mike any idea when we might get to see the Thunderbird 2 (T2) mech? The video of the T1 mech was awesome man, would love to see the T2 mech up the right way, the little teaser video you did of the mech upside was such a tease.

Hahaha - I was waiting for the T2 model to be approved and the actual toy to be manufactured but we won't have that in time for Pinfest in Newcastle so I have had a few 3D printed and we will paint them up for the demo machines. (we didn't put anything on the machines we have on test sites).

I will try and get a short video this week of it operating.

#958 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Hopefully PET-G, not acrylic so they don't break easily...

Yes, laser cut PETG - made in-house using our two laser machines.

#978 6 years ago

laser cutter or 3D printed
look like they go together like a jigsaw puzzle, the welded or glued?

Laser cut stainless TIG welded then powder coated

#983 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

So, No provision for 110VAC in? The US is not the only place that runs on something other than 220.
Like Gottlieb in the early days, a different part number / transformer will be required?
It would suck to have to saddle a new game with and external step up transformer.

These machines are heading to Australia - they are our factory production prototypes.

These machines will never be sold. They will always remain the property of Homepin.

Production machines will have universal transformers with multiple voltages. This has already been built into our switch box.

These transformers are very expensive and I chose to make these initial prototypes as 230V only to save about $10 each X 20. So $200 is better off in my pocket when these machines will never go outside Australia.

Note that Stern restricts all machines with a frequency lock to the mains frequency which is far more annoying and frankly dumb. If they think that even a high school student can't defeat that,,,, well.....

#991 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Don't doubt it. Not being an electrical engineer myself, I'm just curious how, at least in the mentioned Midway, the transformer either did or didn't impart any significant EMI.

Quoted directly from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toroidal_inductors_and_transformers

"Toroidal inductors and transformers are inductors and transformers which use magnetic cores with a toroidal (ring or donut) shape. They are passive electronic components, consisting of a circular ring or donut shaped magnetic core of ferromagnetic material such as laminated iron, iron powder, or ferrite, around which wire is wound.

Although in the past closed-core inductors and transformers often used cores with a square shape, the use of toroidal-shaped cores has increased greatly because of their superior electrical performance. The advantage of the toroidal shape is that, due to its symmetry, the amount of magnetic flux that escapes outside the core (leakage flux) is low, therefore it is more efficient and thus radiates less electromagnetic interference (EMI).

Toroidal inductors and transformers are used in a wide range of electronic circuits: power supplies, inverters, and amplifiers, which in turn are used in the vast majority of electrical equipment: TVs, radios, computers, and audio systems."

#998 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Metal apron on a $5k machine?
Careful!
You'll give Gary a heart attack.

Stainless steel actually LOL - and the level is backlit in attract mode, off when game is playing to avoid distractions

#1006 6 years ago

With windows smashing in my apartment this morning and Hong Kong in lock down we are holding tight right now.

Most factories in the area are closed - we are still operating at the moment but for how long I don't know?

We are fortunate as most staff live on the premises so it is safe for them to be at work.

We have a container booked for Friday but it looks increasingly like we might have to cancel unless this passes quickly

Typhoon_Hato (resized).jpgTyphoon_Hato (resized).jpg

#1016 6 years ago

The report is the guy is OK.......

#1018 6 years ago

Looks like it has passed this morning. Most damage was to Macau about 80km south of Shenzhen.

Looks like we will still be loading the container of video tables tomorrow!

storm_passed (resized).jpgstorm_passed (resized).jpg

#1026 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is there a typo at the end?
"*Electroluminescent (E.L.) *Headbox decals (a world first for pinball)"
I think the star before Headbox is a mistake, but missed because it's on a new line. Also, didn't Attack from Mars remake do the EL head decals first? They looked great at PAGG.

We made EL panels long before any others.

Sadly, Homepin has had a few holdups that prevented us from getting TAG to market earlier.

This gave others a chance to copy us.

It doesn't concern me - good on them for copying a great idea.

#1028 6 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Mike I think vireland was referring to a syntax error regarding the inclusion of an asterisk between "(E.L.)" and "Headbox".

He was but also added this:

" Also, didn't Attack from Mars remake do the EL head decals first? They looked great at PAGG."

#1030 6 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Yup, I guess you have to change the copy on the flyer anyway re "first" so the syntax issue is a non-issue.

Sure, but it is approved copy so I won't be changing it - the line at the bottom covers off on it - -

"Specifications are indicative only and subject to change"

#1033 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Technically Big Bang Bar did it first, but who's counting.

As far as I am aware BBB had a very small EL panel on a plastic ramp - not the entire backbox sides.

Homepin is claiming to be the first to use a full size, backbox side art made from EL.

#1036 6 years ago

We are cutting plastic protectors from the waste areas of the PET-G playfield plastics. They have a bit of red on some but that should be OK.

plastics1 (resized).jpgplastics1 (resized).jpg

plastics2 (resized).jpgplastics2 (resized).jpg

plastics3 (resized).jpgplastics3 (resized).jpg

#1040 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Mike, every example of EL wire/paper I've come across in pinball mods has come with the high pitched whine from its power supply/inverter , have you found a way of doing it without the noise?

Yes, this is an issue. We have minimised it by supplying the EL invertor and the Audio board with their own separate, regulated supplies and also by maximising the ground plane.

The noise is still currently there but very low.

#1048 6 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

What's Mike's background/history in the industry? He clearly knows whats up but I'm curious how he got here.

http://www.homepin.com/about-us.html

I will also be giving a one hour presentation about exactly your questions here in a couple of weeks:

http://www.vancouverflipout.com/speakers

#1051 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Mike:
Will your machines come with a playfield prop rod? I feel these are absolutely essential when working on the playfield. Especially when working on the flippers, I don't want to have to lean the playfield against the backbox and stand on a step ladder to solder on wires on a flipper coil or EOS switch.

Yes, naturally. As well as the mains power switch in the "correct" place.

#1054 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It was stated that it would be colour LED before, I think.
I'm assuming they're just trying to get as much done as possible before colouring, unless plans have changed.

That was what we had developed when our programmer died. We have been scrambling to catch up since.

#1058 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is there a chance that you don't have enough time to do colouring before release and the machine ships monochrome, updated to colour later?

Almost none. Actually, the orange DMD REALLY suits this machine.

There is no technical ability built into the boardset for colour.

#1060 6 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Dots are looking good. Was hoping to get a clue on the playfield designer in there but shouldn't be long now before we see it.

Our crew is all new - not new to pinball - just new to what people know about "established" pinball designers.

#1063 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Color DMD, get to work.

TAG won't need it - some machines just don't suit it - this is one of them.

#1077 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Isn't today the day for the reveal?

No, today was originally the day we had the container booked to ship the two machines to Australia.

We had to push that back as the factory had to close for two days, one for the Typhoon and the other for a power off day while the power company replaced some aged cables.

The new shipping date is 11th September on a faster ship (at higher cost naturally).

This short delay has allowed us to add an extra mechanism to the machine that we were in two minds about so it's all good.

#1098 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I just realized there better be a steel pin all the way through that drill bit. I can see an airball taking it clean off with a direct hit if it's just plastic through and through.

This video shows a 3D printed model. The finished items will be a soft rubber like material. Little chance of breaking.

#1101 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Mike, it looks nice but I'd rather it just wobbled on a spring

Yes, we also have a toy that does wobble on a spring BUT it is assisted by a tiny shaker motor

#1118 6 years ago

We have a plastic bung in the end and heatshrink - just not shown in that picture as it's one of our test machines.

#1125 6 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Sounds really well . Stop teasing and show it allready

Can't - still subject to approvals.

Stern has the luxury of doing all the approvals before you and I even know the machine they are building - I don't.

#1127 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

My only concern is how large and obtrusive those siderails are. Really very visually distracting.

You look at the side rails while you are playing pinball? - - - really?

#1129 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It's the whole package. Why even put art on the side if it doesn't matter? In a lineup you won't even see the lightning EL head sides since most people put them an inch apart. But you did that too.
Just my personal opinion - they eat up so much of the side of the cabinet art space for no reason.

Buy a Thunderbirds pinball and I will leave them off, just for you ....

#1142 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Digging the music, is the sound in stereo Mike?
I like the "International Rescue" on the backboard
Really looking forward to the reveal next month

Our system is 2.1 audio.

That is, more simply, stereo with an additional sub woofer channel. It is a 5 speaker system and the electronics are manufactured by Homepin (2 x 1" tweeters, 2 x 5" drivers and one 10" woofer).

Our speakers are made by a factory that is directly across the road from my apartment here in Shenzhen, about 500m from the Homepin factory.

#1146 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sounds similar to my dialed in sound system?

"Made in China"? Very little doubt about that. LOLOLOL

#1148 6 years ago

I thought it was timely to post this picture again

homepinELEPHANT-use_this_copy (resized).jpghomepinELEPHANT-use_this_copy (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1262 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

NEVER would i buy a pin from this guy.
Just like all the other BS we see happening today. Nope, not gonna buy.

Then get out of my thread. Your idiotic comment is exactly why I don't bother here anymore.

Drain the thread and go away - simple really.

I'm astounded that some can "make a decision" based on bullshit, hearsay and Pinside comments.

You do not know the full story, you don't know what was said, you didn't hear what was said and you have no idea in what context ANYTHING was said - if at all.

Some (like you) need to grow up.

Some here act like 12yo schoolgirls listening to gossip.

#1282 6 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

Wow. So a dude is smart enough to realize what would result in the biggest success in pinball today, and that is reasonably priced manufacturing. He works really hard for a long time to make that success happen. But is so married to his bigotry, he'd rather blow his dreams up (with nearly guaranteed success if the price point was low enough) rather than be a decent human being. And then has the audacity to say the problem is all because the United States isn't as bigoted as it should be, like he is.
That is really something there.
The dude just lost 99% of his possible sales, everywhere. Shut it down, dude. You failed.

You are an idiot

#1284 6 years ago

It's simply amazing how the keyboard commandos seem to think that what they say is gold...

Sorry you sad people --- you lose.....

Reality is that I will be in Newcastle Australia (yes, there are places outside the USA that really exist) next week and we will have a huge attendance and - - - well, let's see what REALITY has to say after that.

(PS: thanks for the support from the "normal" people around here)

2 weeks later
#1735 6 years ago

First, I have just arrived back in the factory after spending 2 weeks in Australia. My internet was pretty sketchy while traveling and I was too busy to even look at the internet anyway.

I would like to thank all those who came along to Pinfest and played TAG, also those who came to my talks to find out some of the background to the Homepin story. It was great to meet many of you again and some for the first time.

The machines we showed at Pinfest and in Brisbane were rushed together and air freighted to get them there in time. They were far from finished and far from perfect. We have taken on board the many small changes suggested and will begin working on those straight away. Mostly they are small tweaks and pretty easy to implement.

Onto the complete rubbish that has been posted here and inflamed out of all proportion by the usual Pinside trolls - well done guys - you have managed to create 250+ posts of complete twaddle that I (for one) am not going to waste my time reading. I skimmed over a dozen posts, got the gist, and left it at that.

The machines shipped to Australia for the shows were cobbled together from many parts, mostly from our prototyping. The boardset in particular is a very early mockup and we have developed several versions since then. The latest (and final I hope) version is actually a five board set.

When our programmer died I asked around to see who might be interested in coming on board to help pick up the pieces. I wrote to many people including Ben Heck. Ben has posted our correspondence in full so there is no need to repeat that (very unprofessional Ben and you lose points for that).

We looked at the original Bally design, WMS WPC, Heck system, Fast and many other systems eventually settling on a similar CAN bus system currently used by Stern.

Time was not on our side so we put together a mish mash of what we thought was the better points of each system to get something up and running quickly and get us back to where we had been a year previously. This is what was seen in the machines displayed at Pinfest, it is not what we will be using for production machines.

If you look at the pictures below (they won't be in order, this site doesn't allow that) - these are screen shots from Ben Hecks posts right here on Pinside. You can see where he invites all and sundry to do as they wish with his design. Thank you Ben for the bit of assistance your information gave us and yes, you are right, there are many flaws in your design. I changed the hardware (for one thing) drastically, as it just wasn't robust enough for my liking. As for the software, let's just say there are elements of it that we took on board and adapted as we did with several other things available.

Combining all of these things gave us a workable system to start with and work from - which we are doing.

We are not using the Heck system (or any other system) but certainly have taken ideas from all of them. That's just how things work.

I really don't understand what the trolls see in trying to drag every one they can down? Not just on this thread but every other one it seems? They surely must lead very sad lives.

In any case, our main market (and let me say it for the 50th time) is NOT the USA. It never has been. I am NOT interested in selling "every machine I can" to "the biggest pinball market in the world". That has NEVER been my goal or aim - EVER! I have stated this so many times but it seems too hard for some trolls to comprehend. So it really doesn't matter how "crap" our machines are and disecting every last shot really isn't of any relevance as they probably will never see the light of day in the USA in any great numbers and that suits me just fine.

Nothing to do with "Americans" or any other reasons - just plain business. I'm running a different race to all the other companies and I am growing my own market not trying to muscle in on an existing one.

We are working on machines for the China market. That is our future. Stern has sold some here in China but the price of them, as well as the western themes, means they don't, and never will, sell in any meaningful numbers here.

This will likely be my last post on Pinside because I just don't have time for the nonsense and negativity around here - I'm just not interested. I have tried to give an insight into what it takes to manufacture something but it seems there are just too many trolls here to accept that I did that in good faith and because that is the side of things that interests me the most.

All you armchair lawyers can go back to picking your noses or whatever else it is that gives you joy.

Those that ARE interested in following the progress of Homepin (including many exciting new products NOT pinball) can do so here:

www.homepin.com
www.facebook.com/HomepinPinball

EDIT: I forgot the most important thing - I bought a book at Sydney airport and almost finished reading it on the flight home. The trolls on here could turn their lives around by reading it - "The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck" by Mark Manson. It is well worth the read.

heck1a (resized).jpgheck1a (resized).jpg
heck2a (resized).jpgheck2a (resized).jpg
Homepin Thunderbirds Font (resized).jpgHomepin Thunderbirds Font (resized).jpg
heck3a (resized).jpgheck3a (resized).jpg

#1743 6 years ago

book1 (resized).jpgbook1 (resized).jpg

book2 (resized).jpgbook2 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2020 6 years ago

We have organised a way to post updates fairly regularly on the TAG thread on Aussie Arcade. For those interested please check out that thread. (and by "those interested" I mean those who have a vested interest NOT random trouble makers who have no money down and no intention of buying a game).

I will not be posting updates here because there are no machines headed outside Australia and New Zealand for at least the next 12 months so there is no reason to post updates here - it just doesn't apply.

All you little trolls can crawl back into your holes and dream up some other rubbish to spout - I'll sign out again now.

2 weeks later
#2046 6 years ago

Yes, lightning AND snow - hahahaha - actually it's summer in Australia so no snow.

Thanks to all of our supporters, workers and designers for your hard work and support over the past few years. This coming year we will be shipping Thunderbirds pinball machines and it will be the first of many titles.

Merry Christmas (resized).jpgMerry Christmas (resized).jpg

ScreenHunter_625 Dec. 23 08.47 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_625 Dec. 23 08.47 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2065 6 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Whats the price for this game?Could be a nice pinball to buy since my dad was a huge ''Les Sentinelles de l'air'' fan

Please contact Nitro Pinball, they will be able to help.

1 week later
#2084 6 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

pictures of all the electronics pretty please

OK - since you insist, here they are but it is TOP secret!!

joke (resized).jpgjoke (resized).jpg

#2094 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

C,mon Dave. Havent you played it yet? What is it like? is it better?
the pinball world is waiting!

It shipped out nearly two months ago so it doesn't have the latest board sets and many smaller things.

I will be taking these updated parts to NZ this week and setting it up with the latest bits and pieces - all except the plastic ramp as that factory is still not back from CNY so it is currently holding up all of our production.

What isn't realised by many is that things like this plastic ramp, as simple as it is, can take MORE THAN a year from concept to finished part. Extend that across dozens of different parts and you start to realise delays of a year or even two are perfectly "normal".

#2096 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That's hard to believe since Houdini went from literally NOTHING to a fully finished prototype with production ramps in four months, and shipping production games in under a year.

Great for them. They are using STANDARD parts available off the shelf for the most part. We are not.

This ramp has caused a lot of problems for many reasons. We are on our second factory and the third version due many small changes. Throw two Chinese New Year breaks (of 2 months each) into the mix and there are your delays.

It just isn't that simple.

EDIT: It also helps A LOT when you have a virtually unlimited budget which Homepin most certainly does not!

341 posts in this topic match your search for posts by homepin. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress/page/1?tu=homepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.