Topic Stats

• 3,983 posts
  • 384 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by wiredoug
  • Topic is favorited by 170 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 749 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

truth (resized).jpg
screen-capture-8 (resized).png
rampage (resized).jpg
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 7.47.02 pm.png
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
99D1AA11-1443-414C-A49B-3B3177C76184 (resized).jpeg
59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg
2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg
868710A0-56BB-496C-BEDA-7BA0D66E4FB6 (resized).jpeg
dial2 (resized).jpeg
AFF856C8-B022-4091-B5B9-6C804FB42F87 (resized).png
8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg
D19AA2E9-F995-4396-81AD-9750E23E87BF (resized).jpeg
8AAFDB60-3AAD-4FB6-A920-94E6E6BEA833 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3983 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 80.
#501 1 year ago

Here are a few pics I took when visiting the toy factory that we are using recently. They make soft rubber toys from vulcanizing a special coloured liquid that they pour into moulds so they build up the item layer by layer. This means that nothing is painted and all the different colours are fused together making one solid item.

They can't make tiny detail but the finished product is perfect for our pinball toys.

toys1 (resized).jpg

toys6 (resized).jpg

toys2 (resized).jpg

toys4 (resized).jpg

toys5 (resized).jpg

toys3 (resized).jpg

#502 1 year ago

Our order of topper covers was delivered recently.

This first run from the mould we commissioned is for 250 pieces.

Storage space is starting to become a bit of an issue for us.

toppercovers2 (resized).jpg

toppercovers1 (resized).jpg

#503 1 year ago

Is that 250 topper covers just for Thunderbirds machines Mike ?

or did you order extras to sell so people can fit them to "other" machines ?

#504 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Here are a few pics I took when visiting the toy factory that we are using recently. They make soft rubber toys from vulcanizing a special coloured liquid that they pour into moulds so they build up the item layer by layer. This means that nothing is painted and all the different colours are fused together making one solid item.
They can't make tiny detail but the finished product is perfect for our pinball toys.

I always enjoy seeing how they make stuff like this. It still amazes me how much is still done by hand. I would have assumed toys like this were made by machines. I'm finding out how much is still done the old fashioned way.

#505 1 year ago
Quoted from MIL:

Is that 250 topper covers just for Thunderbirds machines Mike ?
or did you order extras to sell so people can fit them to "other" machines ?

I wish it were true that we needed this many for pre-orderers of Thunderbirds. This was the minimum quantity I could order and that was after paying several thousand for the mould.

We will use them on future machines but again, it creates a storage problem that is getting more worrying.

#506 1 year ago

I'm sure there might be some Fish Tales and White Water owners that would be interested in them

#507 1 year ago
Quoted from blue95:

I'm sure there might be some Fish Tales and White Water owners that would be interested in them

They are made to the EXACT specifications of the original Williams ones - EXACT!

#508 1 year ago

Thanks for documenting this process, and for being so informative on manufacturing in general. It is facinating.
The game looks great and seems to be coming along nicely.

#509 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

They are made to the EXACT specifications of the original Williams ones - EXACT!

So... i think it should be no problem for a chinese manufacturer to reproduce the waterfall foil..
Every chinese restaurant here in europe has a landscape picture with a similiar effect in it.

But.. better back to topper... erm topic ..

#510 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Pop some in the next Hankin container back to Aussie ... I need two of them!

You'll soon sell them back in Aussie ... half of the old Williams ones are either busted up or missing.

Dave.

#511 1 year ago

Artwork looks GREAT! Hell even the badge on the coin door looks GREAT! Really looking forward to seeing this come together down the home straight, congratulations on all you have achieved Mike truly a huge feat and I wish you nothing but success and look forward to seeing the final product, so I can order one

#512 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Like Pinsinner said, it amazes me how much Chinese product is still made by hand - I guess labor is cheaper than machines, and it's not in the Chinese interests to replace the workforce with robots. If only the Western world would work this out.

It's this kind of attention to detail - using solid molded colour toy instead of a painted one because its more durable for pinball - that will make your product superior to other manufacturers.

#513 1 year ago

We made new racks to keep the topper covers, legs and speakers safe until needed.

Next job is to extend the store to include the new racks.

newrack (resized).jpg

#514 1 year ago

I don't see any topper tubs for sale anywhere lately...

#515 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I don't see any topper tubs for sale anywhere lately...

I second that..

#516 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Like Pinsinner said, it amazes me how much Chinese product is still made by hand - I guess labor is cheaper than machines, and it's not in the Chinese interests to replace the workforce with robots. If only the Western world would work this out.

China has a virtually inexhaustible supply of cheap unskilled labour drawn primarily from the rural areas and coupled with their minimum wage rates compared to ours it really wouldn't be economically feasible or worthwhile to automate a production line of this limited scale. In Western countries like Australia, the reverse is typically true.

Our overly protectionist attitude when it comes to our domestic labour market is also one of our greatest handicaps on an international stage.

This is why our local manufacturing is failing/closing up shop in so many areas in favour of a cheaper offshore alternative.

#517 1 year ago

A small part of our GI lighting setup.

Before someone points it out, I used two 470R resistors stacked on top of one another as we didn't have the correct ones when I built up this sample board originally.

These are built on 0.4MM printed circuit board.

sling_gi4 (resized).jpg
sling_gi2 (resized).jpg
sling_gi3 (resized).jpg
sling_gi1 (resized).jpg

#518 1 year ago

Awesome design Mike, it's a shame other manufacturers haven't shown the same desire to modernise and update simple areas of a pin, your sling design looks super clean just brilliant!

#519 1 year ago

Looks good !
Is it compatible with other wms/bally games ? Will you sell these boards seperate ?

One question about seeing bare components - if a pinball gets stuck behind the rubber somehow, can it short something ??

#520 1 year ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Looks good !

One question about seeing bare components - if a pinball gets stuck behind the rubber somehow, can it short something ??

Possibly - it would pop the GI fuse if that happened.

We are concentrating on getting OUR machines into production before we are worrying about any outside sales of our parts. Excepting the replacement boards that we already make of course.

#521 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I wish it were true that we needed this many for pre-orderers of Thunderbirds. This was the minimum quantity I could order and that was after paying several thousand for the mould.
We will use them on future machines but again, it creates a storage problem that is getting more worrying.

Quoted from Homepin:

There are probably ALOT of Williams owners out there that could help you with your storage worry by taking a hundred or so of those topper covers off your hands Mike

#522 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

We are concentrating on getting OUR machines into production before we are worrying about any outside sales of our parts. Excepting the replacement boards that we already make of course.

Great response Mike love the fact your 100% focused on your first game, but it would be great to see you expand the parts side of your business I have seen your boards and the workmanship and quality is exceptional, I would certainly be in line for any additional/upgraded parts you release down the road, like those LED slingshot boards they are just fantastic!

#523 1 year ago

love the sling lights.. I like that you're branching out and keeping money rolling in so that you're not just another defunct pinball startup. No real desire to buy a thunderbirds pin, but I really like what I see as far as parts and innovation.

#524 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Or place GI voltage on the sling shot switch input or switch matrix. Hopefully, you have them at the same level.

#525 1 year ago

A box full of door badges was delivered today!

badges (resized).jpg

#526 1 year ago

Looking good Mike. With things getting closer now! Are you planning on sending another update to pre order buyers soon? As you have done in the past. It would be appreciated. Cheers

#527 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Looking good Mike. With things getting closer now! Are you planning on sending another update to pre order buyers soon? As you have done in the past. It would be appreciated. Cheers

It would have gone out by now actually but James is in London meeting with ITV to finalise a few details and he will get it out very shortly.

#528 1 year ago

These are our six demo cabs that will be sited in expat bars in China very shortly (they will have note acceptors fitted).

We will decal them up in a day or so but I want to get a different type of "not so sticky" protective plastic before we do that so we can slap it on the fresh decals to prevent damage.

The wheeled trolleys have been designed and built so they have a protective wood rail all around the cabinet to help with that as well as being built so the machine is at the correct incline for playing without fitting legs.

Second pic is from the office level of the factory:

cabs (resized).jpg

cabs2 (resized).jpg

#529 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

It would have gone out by now actually but James is in London meeting with ITV to finalise a few details and he will get it out very shortly.

Thanks for prompt reply. Hope all goes well at meeting in London. Look forward to update, cheers.

#530 1 year ago

Hi Mike, I understand that the cabs are sprayed with a clear before being sprayed black. Do you intend to paint the inside of the cabs?

#531 1 year ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Hi Mike, I understand that the cabs are sprayed with a clear before being sprayed black. Do you intend to paint the inside of the cabs?

We don't intend to at this stage. The "green" paint we are using is amazingly expensive. I will revisit that we we have a final BOM and see if we can justify it.

#532 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

We don't intend to at this stage. The "green" paint we are using is amazingly expensive. I will revisit that we we have a final BOM and see if we can justify it.

Thanks. If there is room in the budget, it would finish them off real nice. I look forward to seeing the finished cabs.

#533 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

These are our six demo cabs that will be sited in expat bars in China very shortly (they will have note acceptors fitted).
We will decal them up in a day or so but I want to get a different type of "not so sticky" protective plastic before we do that so we can slap it on the fresh decals to prevent damage.
The wheeled trolleys have been designed and built so they have a protective wood rail all around the cabinet to help with that as well as being built so the machine is at the correct incline for playing without fitting legs.

Hi Mike . Production line looking good . I notice the inside walls of the cabinets are not painted all the way to the base . Is this only because they are "demo" cabs ? I think it would finish the look off nicely if the actual production cabinets were painted all the way down ( or even better the entire inside of the cabinet ) . Also the paint work seems to be a little thin . Is this just the camera flash etc. or again , just because they are "demo" cabs .

BTW great idea about the protective plastic on the decals . Leave it on until it gets to the final customer . Seen plenty of Stern decals get damaged in transit .

#534 1 year ago
Quoted from MIL:

I notice the inside walls of the cabinets are not painted all the way to the base . Is this only because they are "demo" cabs ? I think it would finish the look off nicely if the actual production cabinets were painted all the way down ( or even better the entire inside of the cabinet )

See posts above for your answer.

Besides, it may just be me, but I actually prefer the inside the way Mike has it, reminds me of the old school cabinets from back in the day. I'm not a fan of the "paint everything because you can" kind of restorations. Just my opinion.

#535 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Outstanding stuff! Hopefully everyone is starting to understand how difficult making a pinball machine really is. In my opinion, this is by far the best thread on Pinside.

#536 1 year ago

On the paint - we are actually painting MORE of the cabinet than WMS and the others did back in the day.

Think about what you actually see when the machine is finished? The top and back of the backbox, the top insides above the playfield and the back of the main cabinet - that's it.

We are also painting the underside of the cabinet and this (to my knowledge) was never painted by any other manufacturer.

#537 1 year ago

Hoping to see a pic of play field soon!

#538 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Hoping to see a pic of play field soon!

The reason I haven't shown anything about the playfield is that we are still waiting final artwork approvals for several items relating to the PF. I'm not able to show anything just yet. Licensing is a very complex process.

#539 1 year ago

Hi Mike,

How are you going to print the playfields? Will you do them in house or is there somewhere nearby where you can get them done?

#540 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Yes, much happening here - just never enough hours in the day! The Homepin factory is working today (Sunday) as it is Dragon Boat Festival (public holiday) in China this Tuesday so the staff asked if they could swap Monday and Sunday so they can have two days off next week - which we are doing.
The enameled metal badges for the coin doors arrived through the week - shown below.
The first test run of cabinets are being painted up and we are honing our skills in that area. The water based paint we are using ticks all the boxes for being "green" and non polluting as well as easy to apply and has a fantastic silky gloss finish when dry. However it is extraordinarily expensive. The pictures below show the gear our staff have to wear by law when using it despite the paint being safe enough to drink!! Blanket "catch all" laws that defy logic sometimes.
Artwork is pretty well finalised but we are having to make some changes at the wishes of ITV so I am still unable to show anything there - same goes for specific playfield toys, juggling with ITV over details such as exact shade of the colours we are using and details of the wording to go on each toy. All this stuff seems to never end and is very frustrating.
I will post up some pictures of the toy factory we are using for some of the playfield toys later after I clean them up and size them. Very interesting how they make things and always fun to visit places like this.

Will there be an option for a typical American style coin door with 2 coin mechs and a bill acceptor,
or just the single coin slot style door?

#541 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Will there be an option for a typical American style coin door with 2 coin mechs and a bill acceptor,

Quoted from Homepin:

The cabinets we are making here are our first sample run of six that will be used to site test machines in expat bars in China. The largest coin China has is 1RMB (about $0.18) so coins are not suitable for operating any coin-op here.
The final cabinet design will be offered in two versions. (I have drawings of the two fronts in my PC at work and will post them up later today - it's a public holiday here today so I will be late going in)
(1) Similar to the ones seen in the pics above with a small size coin door and a programmable, 8 coin electronic coin mech INCLUDED. Next to the door is provision for a note acceptor but the machine will be supplied with a blanking plate fitted from the factory.
(2) Not shown in this thread yet - version two which is very much like the FACTORY TEST DOOR shown in the picture with the badge above but it is a TWO SLOT door and will also be supplied with ONE electronic coin mech but the second slot will be available for a second mech.
Operators would be free to replace the door with a standard WMS style one - we can't supply them because Suzo-Happ (pretty well the only people making these doors these days) won't sell them to me at a sensible price even though they are made in the Suzo factory about two hours from Homepin (I have visited them and asked). A standard door will pretty much fit straight into the second cabinet choice but may not be required as they will be two slot doors.
The door picture above was to showcase THE BADGE - not the door. That door is one we use all over the factory to check for size and fit. I don't open up and unpack a new door every time I want to take a picture - note this door has a ding top left and yes, plenty of scratches. It happens to be a single slot door because that is what was supplied to me by the door factory as a sample.
Guys, please don't get picky or anal about things I put up here. Mostly it is ADVANCE information and pictures of a job that is still in progress. Also, I did already explain exactly what these six cabinets were for (local use) - the USA has special requirements for doors etc AND SO DO OTHER COUNTRIES!
Once again, the PRIMARY market for Homepin Thunderbirds pinball machine IS NOT the USA. Yes, it will be sold in the USA but that is NOT our primary target market for this machine and never has been.

#542 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I have actually mentioned this several times but again for continuity:

The six cabinets we are currently building will be sited in China. The largest coin in China is the 1RMB (about $0.18) so we need to fit a note acceptor.

Our finished machines will be offered in two versions:

(1) The one you see in our pictures with a small door and cutout panel for a note acceptor...and

(2) A standard, full size, two slot coin door.

In BOTH versions Homepin supplies a computerised, programmable coin mechanism - included with every machine.

Pre-purchasers will be receiving an email soon asking for their choice.

It is also highly unlikely that any machines from the first 4 or 5 containers will find their way to the USA. That will come later.

#543 1 year ago

Our spotlights are finished. We made the injection mould for the reflector and moulded them 'in-house' using recycled plastic from other parts we have made. Then we sent them out to be plastic plated with a chrome finish.

Designed up the 1mm thick PCBs and used a standard metal mounting bracket easily available to us here.

The focal point of the reflector caused quite a bit of discussion when we were making the mould but it turned out PERFECT!

It's designed to operate on our standard G.I. Light supply of 12V DC.

I didn't take a picture of it working because it just doesn't photograph well as it is too bright.

spot3 (resized).jpg

spot1 (resized).jpg

spot2 (resized).jpg

#544 1 year ago

It's going to be so interesting to see the game come together with all these custom made parts.

#545 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

It is also highly unlikely that any machines from the first 4 or 5 containers will find their way to the USA. That will come later.

Now that's impressive!

#546 1 year ago

When you get into parts sales I would love some of these spots with pre attached wire leads ... Could find multiple use on many pins ... By far my favourite thread... Keep up the great work!

#547 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Now that's impressive!

The first 4/5 containers will be to various ports that we already ship to in Australia (all around the country) and will very likely be 'mixed' containers of pinball machines, Hankin tables and other goods that we make for different companies.

We already ship between 6 and 10 containers a year to Australia right now and have done for several years already.

So they won't necessarily be containers full of ONLY pinball machines.

#548 1 year ago

We are finally seeing a lot of the "fruits of our labour" from the last couple of years as lots of finished parts start to come together and also outside parts being delivered.

Here is an order of playfield posts we ordered from a local CNC company, nickle plated and ready to use!

pfposts1 (resized).jpg

pfposts2 (resized).jpg

#549 1 year ago

I hope you bring out the spotlight to shops so we can buy them. Also, will you be doing the board in black so it blends in better?

#550 1 year ago

Really starting to take shape.
Well done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 109.99
There are 3983 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 80.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside