Topic Stats

• 4,103 posts
  • 395 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by PopBumperPete
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 755 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

screen-capture-4 (resized).png
73209863_556397155132432_4970388802087419904_n (resized).jpg
Kung Fu Panda (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
59FF4170-B1EA-4724-9123-195B90D84BC5 (resized).png
letsmakeadeal (resized).jpg
truth (resized).jpg
screen-capture-8 (resized).png
rampage (resized).jpg
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 7.47.02 pm.png
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
99D1AA11-1443-414C-A49B-3B3177C76184 (resized).jpeg
59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg
2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 4103 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 83.
#451 2 years ago

Getaway (resized).jpg

#452 2 years ago

Thunderbirds cabinet art just revealed by Jonathon Joosten in the Pinball Magazine monthly email newsletter:

Thunderbirds Cabinet Art (resized).jpg

#453 2 years ago

I'm so looking forward to this. Just the back story is awesome, the way the company communicates is outstanding.....I never feel strung along with this thread and only get educated along the way. Great work and it looks awesome.

#454 2 years ago

I think the artwork looks cool. Hand-drawn, nice and colourful and shows all the various vehicles which are the best part of the show.

#455 2 years ago

Assembling and then testing each Getaway Supercharger board before packing.

getawaysuperboard (resized).jpg

#456 2 years ago

Read this thread from the start today and even though I was across most of this from AA, I love how well thought through and engineered everything is with quality first in mind. It's a great read, and a lot can be learnt from starting small and working your way up - well done Mike and thanks for sharing.

I really like the TAG artwork and the lightning strike is so cool .... can't wait to see the big reveal and all the great toys & gameplay

#457 2 years ago

Here's a very poor unofficial mock-up of what it might look like with the backbox:

Thunderbirds Full Cabinet Art (resized).jpg

#458 2 years ago

And if nothing has changed, the headbox artwork is EL lit:

Thunderbirds_Side_Backbox.gif

#459 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

And if nothing has changed, the headbox artwork is EL lit:

ยป YouTube video

That looks so good. I would sit and watch that for hours with a beer in hand!

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Thunderbirds cabinet art just revealed by Jonathon Joosten in the Pinball Magazine monthly email newsletter:

Solarvalue,Do you have a link to this Pinball Magazine yoy speak of ?? and maybe you could forward me what you received in my Pinside mail. Thanks alot

#461 2 years ago

14 month old article I just found,saw and read about Homepin.Good,interesting,positive stuff in article.

http://pavlovpinball.com/is-john-popadiuk-really-working-on-thunderbirds-pinball/

#462 2 years ago

Caught a recent episode of Thunderbirds are a go! Lots of fun ... Looking forward to seeing the playfield of this unit ! Great thread, love the manufacturing to customer updates!

#463 2 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

Solarvalue,Do you have a link to this Pinball Magazine yoy speak of ?? and maybe you could forward me what you received in my Pinside mail. Thanks alot

http://www.pinball-magazine.com/

#464 2 years ago

If you watch the getaway video the camera might just give a little glimpse of the interesting machine sitting next to it Might even see that awesome lightning effect

#465 2 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

If you watch the getaway video the camera might just give a little glimpse of the interesting machine sitting next to it Might even see that awesome lightning effect

You can even see the Lightning flash

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#466 2 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Nicely spotted - maybe doing some endurance testing on the lightning strike??

#467 2 years ago

I'm a little surprised nobody has asked about the LM339 chips that we use in all of our replacement boards? This story is connected with:

"Why aren't all of your replacement boards for sale in the USA?" - a question that was raised last week in this thread.

I wasn't going to say much but I have been inundated with messages and emails asking for some clarification - - - so here we go.

Several months ago (probably 6 or more) I sent a fresh order of our replacement PCBs to Pinball Life. They were stopped at the border by USA customs. Nobody could get to the bottom of "why"? but eventually, a letter came through stating that customs were concerned that the chips used on the boards were copies or fake chips using the "T.I." logo.

I have used tens of thousands of these bog standard parts (LM339N) and was a bit taken aback by this sudden interest. To be fair to customs (and T.I.) I really have no way of knowing if the chips are real, fake or anything else. I buy them from the same place I have purchased most smaller runs of semiconductors for over 10 years now and have no reason to doubt their authenticity BUT I can't prove it.

So, I bought a batch of several thousands "generic" LM339 chips from a local semiconductor factory without any branding. We then stamp the Homepin logo on them here in the factory and use them in our products.

I sent another box of the newly made boards to Pinball Life and these were seized as well with the same explanations given. WTF!!!

It isn't possible that anyone even looked at these boards in the second box because there is NO T.I. logo - or any other logo for that matter, apart from the registered and trademarked Homepin logo! I add there is no copyright, patent or anything else over these replacement boards. In fact, they are actually copyright to Homepin.

USA customs refuse to talk to me and will only talk to the receiver of the goods - when Terry asks them a question, they won't respond!

If anyone is able to help (on a professional level, for pay) with this issue please contact me.

Until it can be resolved, USA customs is holding over $6K worth of goods and I'm not inclined to send any more as both Terry and I are substantially out of pocket at this point.

Here is a shot of our "new chips".

aust (resized).jpg

#468 2 years ago

Wow that's another side of things we don't normally get insight on - it's good to see customs doing their job but they need to have open communication with the supplier and receiver to sort these queries/concerns out. I sincerely hope this gets resolved quickly for both you and Terry

#469 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I'm a little surprised nobody has asked about the LM339 chips that we use in all of our replacement boards? This story is connected with:
"Why aren't all of your replacement boards for sale in the USA?" - a question that was raised last week in this thread.
I wasn't going to say much but I have been inundated with messages and emails asking for some clarification - - - so here we go.
Several months ago (probably 6 or more) I sent a fresh order of our replacement PCBs to Pinball Life. They were stopped at the border by USA customs. Nobody could get to the bottom of "why"? but eventually, a letter came through stating that customs were concerned that the chips used on the boards were copies or fake chips using the "T.I." logo.
I have used tens of thousands of these bog standard parts (LM339N) and was a bit taken aback by this sudden interest. To be fair to customs (and T.I.) I really have no way of knowing if the chips are real, fake or anything else. I buy them from the same place I have purchased most smaller runs of semiconductors for over 10 years now and have no reason to doubt their authenticity BUT I can't prove it.
So, I bought a batch of several thousands "generic" LM339 chips from a local semiconductor factory without any branding. We then stamp the Homepin logo on them here in the factory and use them in our products.
I sent another box of the newly made boards to Pinball Life and these were seized as well with the same explanations given. WTF!!!
It isn't possible that anyone even looked at these boards in the second box because there is NO T.I. logo - or any other logo for that matter, apart from the registered and trademarked Homepin logo! I add there is no copyright, patent or anything else over these replacement boards. In fact, they are actually copyright to Homepin.
USA customs refuse to talk to me and will only talk to the receiver of the goods - when Terry asks them a question, they won't respond!
If anyone is able to help (on a professional level, for pay) with this issue please contact me.
Until it can be resolved, USA customs is holding over $6K worth of goods and I'm not inclined to send any more as both Terry and I are substantially out of pocket at this point.
Here is a shot of our "new chips".

Seeing they are socketed, could you not just send them without the LM339 and have Terry buy locally and install? I'm sure it won't be this easy but just my 2cents.

#470 2 years ago

I was just having a cuppa and suddenly it dawned on me.
Its the Hoods fault...

20170506_122621 (resized).jpg

#471 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

So they suspected, but weren't sure?

Quoted from Homepin:

#472 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

So they suspected, but weren't sure?

That's exactly right. The "unofficial" letter they sent me after I pestered for over a month says they were sending them out for "expert analysis". I haven't heard zip for more than 6 months now.

Remember, there is every chance that these chips ARE in fact genuine T.I. parts as well!!!

#473 2 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

Seeing they are socketed, could you not just send them without the LM339 and have Terry buy locally and install? I'm sure it won't be this easy but just my 2cents.

We considered that but then the boards are not "factory tested and sealed" and the potential for introducing problems and faults on the new boards climbs.

#474 2 years ago

That sucks Mike. Hope things get sorted soon.

On a positive note, really like the TAG side art. Fits the theme perfectly. Can't wait to see more now! Has the PF art been approved? Looking forward to putting this in my line up, think it will be on the end so you can see the whole cab. Good luck with rest of build, anxiously waiting full pin reveal and email on shipping details.

#475 2 years ago

A view of a prototype "Impact Target" we are using as "The Mole".

Impact Target2 (resized).jpg

Impact Target (resized).jpg

#476 2 years ago

Cool, I had to look that up.

The Mole (resized).jpg

So how does it work? Does the rod retract as you hit it multiple times?

#477 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Cool, I had to look that up.

So how does it work? Does the rod retract as you hit it multiple times?

The harder you hit it - the deeper "The Mole" digs.

#478 2 years ago

Today the boys are moulding the cups for the playfield spotlights. Once done, they will be cleaned up and sent out to be 'plastic chromed'. These are made from 100% recycled POM - the spru from our own moulded parts.

The second part in the mould is the mounting frame for our playfield IR TX and RX pairs.

spots (resized).jpg

spotsmake (resized).jpg

#479 2 years ago

I still can't believe how many parts you are making yourselves, from the mechs, right down to the springs and screws etc. Just curious...when TAG is complete, do you have a count (or an estimate) on the number of individual parts you have had to make yourselves for this machine?

I think it is mind boggling having to mould all these parts and make all the custom mechs. Quite an achievement. Thanks again for sharing.

#480 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

That's exactly right. The "unofficial" letter they sent me after I pestered for over a month says they were sending them out for "expert analysis". I haven't heard zip for more than 6 months now.
Remember, there is every chance that these chips ARE in fact genuine T.I. parts as well!!!

Surely they can't hold all that stock without just cause. It is so unfair. It sounds like you are being unfairly targeted for some reason. US Customs are a bunch of morons. Is there any grounds to appeal this?

#481 2 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Surely they can't hold all that stock without just cause. It is so unfair. It sounds like you are being unfairly targeted for some reason. What a bunch of morons. Is there any grounds to appeal this?

They can do as they please and I can't do a single thing. They don't even have to respond to any letters I send them as they made clear to me when I badgered for a response.

#482 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

They can do as they please and I can't do a single thing. They don't even have to respond to any letters I send them as they made clear to me when I badgered for a response.

It is criminal they can just do that. Fingers crossed that there is someone reading this that happens to know the right person that can assist. How can you be expected to do business in the US when this shit happens. Unbelievable. And it is a shame for all US pinheads as this kind of thing ruins it for them.

#483 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

US - China trade is kind of a hot political topic at the moment.

#484 2 years ago

i have a hunch the "re-engineered in Australia" might have set off some moron to believe they were re-marked goods. just a guess.

#485 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

i have a hunch the "re-engineered in Australia" might have set off some moron to believe they were re-marked goods. just a guess.

My letter to USA customs sets out quite clearly the origin of the goods and the status of all brand names and business registrations as well as trademarks.

#486 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

My letter to USA customs sets out quite clearly the origin of the goods and the status of all brand names and business registrations as well as trademarks.

yeah but too late then .. they were already triggered.

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

The harder you hit it - the deeper "The Mole" digs.

A modern day Gottlieb Vari target then.

#488 2 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

A modern day Gottlieb Vari target then.

And the Vari-Target patent expired many years ago.

#489 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

And the Vari-Target patent expired many years ago.

probably the same for WMS work around with their "linear target".

#490 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Trump has changed, again, his ideas about China, maybe now that it isn't an enemy anymore things will change in your favour

2 weeks later
#491 2 years ago

Hey Mike,
What's happening the last couple weeks ?!?!?! Crickets lately on the Homepin front.............fill us in.

Test games in the house,at local pubs,finishing code,artwork,cabinets,dmd boards,sure miss you,but trying to give you the space to hit us with A BIG REVEAL ?!?!?!

Thanks,Kirk in Colorado,USA

#492 2 years ago

He has been posting updates on aussie arcade

#493 2 years ago

Hi Falcon,Thx. for the quick reply-
Do you have the link you could put here ? Or is it easily found with a Google search ? Will catch you later as it is getting late here and I am just wiped out from a big day of house projects. Thanks alot !!

#494 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

He has been posting updates on aussie arcade

Yes, much happening here - just never enough hours in the day! The Homepin factory is working today (Sunday) as it is Dragon Boat Festival (public holiday) in China this Tuesday so the staff asked if they could swap Monday and Sunday so they can have two days off next week - which we are doing.

The enameled metal badges for the coin doors arrived through the week - shown below.

The first test run of cabinets are being painted up and we are honing our skills in that area. The water based paint we are using ticks all the boxes for being "green" and non polluting as well as easy to apply and has a fantastic silky gloss finish when dry. However it is extraordinarily expensive. The pictures below show the gear our staff have to wear by law when using it despite the paint being safe enough to drink!! Blanket "catch all" laws that defy logic sometimes.

Artwork is pretty well finalised but we are having to make some changes at the wishes of ITV so I am still unable to show anything there - same goes for specific playfield toys, juggling with ITV over details such as exact shade of the colours we are using and details of the wording to go on each toy. All this stuff seems to never end and is very frustrating.

I will post up some pictures of the toy factory we are using for some of the playfield toys later after I clean them up and size them. Very interesting how they make things and always fun to visit places like this.

door_logo2 (resized).jpg

door_logo3 (resized).jpg

cabpainting2 (resized).jpg

cabpainting3 (resized).jpg

cabpainting1 (resized).jpg

#495 2 years ago

I'm pleased to confirm that Homepin has negotiated and now signed an extension to our licence with ITV to produce Thunderbirds pinball machines.

The details are "commercial in confidence" but let me just say it is simply an amendment to our original licence that extends it as well as now including a Sony "sub-licence" for some of the original music (at extra cost naturally).

#496 2 years ago

I can see from the pictures that some USA route operators are going to have carve up the front of the cabinet to install 2 chute bill acceptor coin doors. The single entry coin door will turn off some route operators from purchasing the machine.

Are those scratches in the paint on the coin door in your picture? What's those white scratches? Are the coin doors being powder coated?

#497 2 years ago

Looks like there's a separate cutout in the cab for a bill acceptor?

#498 2 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Looks like there's a separate cutout in the cab for a bill acceptor?

Yes, but in some states the gambling commission by default considers a bill acceptor mounted in the wood a gambling machine. Whereas usually a bill acceptor mounted in the coin door is considered an amusement or vending device. Here in Washington state, our gambling commission plays hardball and virtually every amusement/gambling machine MUST be submitted to them for evaluation and approval/denial. This process can take around a year or more to happen for the machine to be either approved for sale & use in Washington state or flat out denied.

Also, when the bill acceptor is mounted on the coin door, it's easy to swing open the door and look at the bottom of the bill acceptor to see what error codes are flashing when a problem occurs. Also makes it easy to unbolt the bill acceptor should you need to replace it with another one. Easier access to the mounting bolts and you can see what you're doing.

#499 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I can see from the pictures that some USA route operators are going to have carve up the front of the cabinet to install 2 chute bill acceptor coin doors. The single entry coin door will turn off some route operators from purchasing the machine.
Are those scratches in the paint on the coin door in your picture? What's those white scratches? Are the coin doors being powder coated?

The cabinets we are making here are our first sample run of six that will be used to site test machines in expat bars in China. The largest coin China has is 1RMB (about $0.18) so coins are not suitable for operating any coin-op here.

The final cabinet design will be offered in two versions. (I have drawings of the two fronts in my PC at work and will post them up later today - it's a public holiday here today so I will be late going in)

(1) Similar to the ones seen in the pics above with a small size coin door and a programmable, 8 coin electronic coin mech INCLUDED. Next to the door is provision for a note acceptor but the machine will be supplied with a blanking plate fitted from the factory.

(2) Not shown in this thread yet - version two which is very much like the FACTORY TEST DOOR shown in the picture with the badge above but it is a TWO SLOT door and will also be supplied with ONE electronic coin mech but the second slot will be available for a second mech.

Operators would be free to replace the door with a standard WMS style one - we can't supply them because Suzo-Happ (pretty well the only people making these doors these days) won't sell them to me at a sensible price even though they are made in the Suzo factory about two hours from Homepin (I have visited them and asked). A standard door will pretty much fit straight into the second cabinet choice but may not be required as they will be two slot doors.

The door picture above was to showcase THE BADGE - not the door. That door is one we use all over the factory to check for size and fit. I don't open up and unpack a new door every time I want to take a picture - note this door has a ding top left and yes, plenty of scratches. It happens to be a single slot door because that is what was supplied to me by the door factory as a sample.

Guys, please don't get picky or anal about things I put up here. Mostly it is ADVANCE information and pictures of a job that is still in progress. Also, I did already explain exactly what these six cabinets were for (local use) - the USA has special requirements for doors etc AND SO DO OTHER COUNTRIES!

Once again, the PRIMARY market for Homepin Thunderbirds pinball machine IS NOT the USA. Yes, it will be sold in the USA but that is NOT our primary target market for this machine and never has been.

#500 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

The door picture above was to showcase THE BADGE - not the door.

That badge looks awesome! I love enameled stuff, so much cooler than a sticker.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 115.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 44.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 4103 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside