n08.jpg
n07.jpg
n06.jpg
n03.jpg
n04.jpg
n02.jpg
m18.jpg
m17.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pac-Fan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

As those of us with missing reflector assemblies from our F-14 or High Speeds know, it's hard to find an original one at a reasonable price. Well, mine was missing one when I got it, so I finally decided to make my own.

I hit a few thrift stores and finally found a non-flat (somewhat domed) thin, non-painted aluminum saucepan cover. Only 25c -- even better . Sadly, the aluminum ones are generally pretty flat, where the stainless steel ones are a bit more curved. The closest I found (online) was the aluminum cover for a wok. But I couldn't find any locally at the thrifts, so decided to try what I could find first. Here's how I assembled it. Sorry, I didn't take pictures in making it, just the final results.

1) Unscrew the plastic top handle
2) Using a rubber mallet and on top of a foam knee pad (for gardening), repeatedly hit the underside of the cover with the mallet, striking from the center outward, constantly spinning the cover. Keep going until the square center hole that held the carriage bolt starts radial cracking outward from the 4 corners.
3) Ideally, use a 3.5" hole saw or a variable width radial saw to cut open a ~3.4" disc. I didn't have one so I actually was able to use an old pair of silver w/black handles pot metal scissors to trim it down and notch it out. Aviation (tin) snips would work well too.
4) Using a round file, perfect the two notches as needed
5) Using a random orbital sander, sand the edges of the disc so they're not sharp, and make as round as possible.
6) Find a thin large center washer to cover the now widened hole, and reinsert the original carriage bolt in, or use a larger one with a thin enough bolt part.
7) Find a metal piece about 5/8" wide x 1/16" thick and bend it and trim appropriately with a metal cutter or angle grinder. (I found mine when taking apart an old dead computer CDRom drive)
8) Drill two holes, one on the long edge to hold the disc, another with a smaller bit to mount on the motor shaft.
9) Find a ~1/4" tall aluminum spacer washer that is the same diameter as the motor shaft or a a tiny bit larger.
10) Drill a small hole in the side of one side of it. Find a screw barely larger than the hole and tighten it in slowly and carefully (or use a real tap + die set) to tap the hole which will be the set screw to tighten onto the shaft.
11) Carefully epoxy the washer to the base, and also epoxy the disc/carriage bolt to the bracket so that it doesn't end up spinning from vibration.

For reference, the dimensions of the original disc are: .0265" (3/128th)/.67mm thick . The diameter is 3.41" (3 13/32nds)/86.62mm and the concave depth is only .5230" (87/128ths)/13.28 mm

This will have to work until I can find a good deal on one.

Ref1.jpgRef1.jpg
Ref2.jpgRef2.jpg
Ref3.jpgRef3.jpg
Ref4.jpgRef4.jpg

2 weeks later
#4 9 years ago

Another pinsider requested full measurements from a real reflector to build an identical one. Here you go. Please note, I would expect a slight variation in the width/depth of the disc itself from the mere fact it is very thin metal. Also, not measured here is the taper of the disc. It starts out pretty flat, then starts curving more as it reaches the edge.

Also note that the 'depth' of the disc was measured including the back bracket so you'll need to subtract its thickness accordingly.

m15.jpgm15.jpgm14.jpgm14.jpgm13.jpgm13.jpgm12.jpgm12.jpgm11.jpgm11.jpgm10.jpgm10.jpgm09.jpgm09.jpgm08.jpgm08.jpgm07.jpgm07.jpgm06.jpgm06.jpgm05.jpgm05.jpgm04.jpgm04.jpgm03.jpgm03.jpgm02.jpgm02.jpgm01.jpgm01.jpg
m19.jpgm19.jpgm18.jpgm18.jpgm17.jpgm17.jpgm16.jpgm16.jpg

========================================================================

n01.jpgn01.jpgn13.jpgn13.jpgn12.jpgn12.jpgn11.jpgn11.jpgn10.jpgn10.jpgn09.jpgn09.jpgn08.jpgn08.jpgn07.jpgn07.jpgn06.jpgn06.jpgn05.jpgn05.jpgn04.jpgn04.jpgn03.jpgn03.jpgn02.jpgn02.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pac-Fan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homemade-reflector-disc-assembly-for-f-14high-speed?tu=Pac-Fan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.