1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pmuis
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

f74eac5fdd55d536708cc2d81c7934d62b9fc6b9 (resized).jpg
    d3f2905d7bae76ad0481621b6c9d3056c58e766c (resized).jpg
    95f87db1f26f961e1ce8ed48f9463d741c58c1d8 (resized).jpg
    P_20170908_004300 (resized).jpg
    P_20170908_004404 (resized).jpg
    P_20170908_004126 (resized).jpg
    P_20170908_004107 (resized).jpg
    P_20170908_003903 (resized).jpg
    P_20170908_003915 (resized).jpg
    P_20170518_161023 (resized).jpg
    P_20170808_213743 (resized).jpg
    P_20160909_184753 (resized).jpg
    P_20160909_184715 (resized).jpg
    P_20160217_193511 (resized).jpg
    20170508_115609 (resized).jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Precut mirror blades are approx $80 a set.
    Are generic sheets of that material available for much less than that?
    Maybe we can buy one 4x8 sheet for, I don't know, $46 and cut it ourselves and save money?

I'll prob wind up buying the precut,
    but $80 seems like a lot for a few cuts.

#2 1 year ago

You can afford pinballs but you want to save a measly $40 on mirror blades?

Ok then.

#3 1 year ago

hey we all have our limits, don't be a jerk about it. What if it saved $70?

#4 1 year ago

I was not being a jerk. Just because someone questions you doesn't make them a jerk.

#5 1 year ago

So just to put it in perspective.

You would need to buy a sheet of stainless steal and have it delivered. Or get a metal shop to get it for you. Then you would need someone with a plasma or laser cnc router to cut it because it has curves. So they would need to draw the part up in Cad or whatever program they are using. Then holes drilled for the screws.

Not worth $40?

#6 1 year ago

No need to bust balls. I'm always looking to save money, even if I can afford pinball machines. OP never said if he did or didn't have the equipment to cut it. Plus, if you're outfitting 10 machines at $80/piece = $800, and you can save $400, I'd be all in.

I don't have the advice or capability to cut it myself so I can't offer any advice there, but who said OP might not want to cut up a bunch and provide it as a service to other pinsiders also?

If he can cut it himself, more power to him.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

We get it your cheap but $40 or even more is quite significant. the shipping for mirror blades is expensive as well. More power to someone who can make something and save money.

#8 1 year ago

I can never fault anyone for trying to save money. Keep it frugal!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

We get it your cheap but $40 or even more is quite significant. the shipping for mirror blades is expensive as well. More power to someone who can make something and save money.

I'm cheap? What are you talking about?

#10 1 year ago

After shipping, all Mirror Blades I've found are $95 or more per set.

Is there any place that you can get them for $80 shipped?

#11 1 year ago

If you can manage going to a show, they usually are cheaper there. I got mine for $60 each at TPF on Sunday. Bought a couple extras for future games.

#12 1 year ago

after I posted this I thought I'd take a quick look on Amazon, who pretty much "has everything".
    What about this?

amazon.com link »

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

You would need to buy a sheet of stainless steal and have it delivered. Or get a metal shop to get it for you. Then you would need someone with a plasma or laser cnc router to cut it because it has curves. So they would need to draw the part up in Cad or whatever program they are using. Then holes drilled for the screws.
    Not worth $40?

I thought these things were made with adhesive backed sheeting, paper or plastic,
    not sheetmetal.

#14 1 year ago

I have CAD files for mirror blades if anyone wants to try and get them made on their ownb.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Not worth $40?

Stainless Steel? Mirror Blades are mirrored plastic not Stainless Steel as another post mentioned. Good idea to make your own if you can save money why not?

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinbuoy:

after I posted this I thought I'd take a quick look on Amazon, who pretty much "has everything".
    What about this?
    amazon.com link »

I think the mirror blades are a bit thicker and rigid. Also easily removed and reinstalled. That stuff looks like it would be more permanent but more work + without a lot of prep work probably, come out pretty lumpy and bumpy. Might be able to use that on a thin sheet of lexan covering it with that stuff though...

#17 1 year ago

If you wanna go real cheap, get some chrome vinyl off ebay. Easy installation, looks great!

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from dudah:

If you wanna go real cheap, get some chrome vinyl off ebay.

That's what I've been looking in to. Got any suggestions/links to what works well?

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Ok then.

That's the point!!! Pinball is expensive if you haven't noticed. Anyone should want to save money where they can. Just a simple question

#20 1 year ago

A prior owner of my Mustang Pro had used some kind of chrome vinyl/material as mirror blades. My advice? Don't do it because it's not pretty.

20170508_115609 (resized).jpg

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

That's what I've been looking in to. Got any suggestions/links to what works well?

I posted an Amazon link

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Stainless Steel? Mirror Blades are mirrored plastic not Stainless Steel as another post mentioned. Good idea to make your own if you can save money why not?

Not Plastic.

From the Pinball Decals website:

These are custom CnC Lasered; Mirror Polished super thin stainless steel.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Where are you getting yours? All the ones we've ever had cut locally at a show or bought from vendors are metal, not plastic

#24 1 year ago

Yeah, I don't believe they're plastic either. The one's I've ordered through my local distributor are from Cointaker and they're made from highly polished metal/mirror finish.

#25 1 year ago

The cost of the material is quite high, never mind the machine and time spend cutting them.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from JMK:

Yeah, I don't believe they're plastic either. The one's I've ordered through my local distributor are from Cointaker and they're made from highly polished metal/mirror finish.

Wow I always thought they were some kind of mirrored plastic but I see on cointake and pinballmirrors site they are pollished stainless or chrome. I stand corrected. The mirror vinyl looks like it would be difficult to get the same mirror qualities and would have a lot of waviness from the wood. Thanks for the info

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Wow I always thought they were some kind of mirrored plastic but I see on cointake and pinballmirrors site they are pollished stainless or chrome. I stand corrected. The mirror vinyl looks like it would be difficult to get the same mirror qualities and would have a lot of waviness from the wood. Thanks for the info

What homebrood said.

#28 1 year ago

you can get mirror-like .01" thick 304 stainless in a 6"x 5 foot sheet for $30 on mcmaster-carr 3254K322. They also have super thin adhesive backed stuff that is .002"!!! thick 6" x 25 feet for $80. At that thickness (remind you paper is around .005" thick) you could cut this with straight edges and punches.

just providing info.

#29 1 year ago

i always make my own blades easely removable and no bubbly issues

P_20160217_193511 (resized).jpg

P_20160909_184715 (resized).jpg

P_20160909_184753 (resized).jpg

P_20170808_213743 (resized).jpg

P_20170518_161023 (resized).jpg

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Do tell....How do you make?

#31 1 year ago

I'd say "ancient Chinese secret" but that would be politically incorrect. OOPS

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Quoted from billsfanmd:

Do tell....How do you make?

Interested as well

#33 1 year ago

I've been in the vinyl printing/cutting business for a while and can tell you that the proper mirrored finish adhesive backed vinyl would work well. If someone has the templates I'll order a roll and cut some sets and ask for feedback. My machine can cut all of the contours without an issue.

As long as I'm not violating any type of copy/trademark I'd be happy to do this and offer it as a service if there is a demand?

#34 1 year ago

PoMC says he has Cad files...

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

PoMC says he has Cad files...

I sent him a PM. Thanks.

#36 1 year ago

All PMs have been replied to with the Dropbox link to the CAD files. Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

#37 1 year ago

I'll have material here next week. If I can get 3 people that would be willing to test these out and provide honest feedback I will provide you with one set for free. I plan on installing a set in my TZ for testing as well.

Please PM me versus posting so that I don't clutter up this thread.

#38 1 year ago

I'm curious too. I'd like my ToM to have them, but not sure I want to spend the money for it (other things that I need to buy). A cheaper alternative that looks good is always welcome.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

I'll have material here next week. If I can get 3 people that would be willing to test these out and provide honest feedback I will provide you with one set for free. I plan on installing a set in my TZ for testing as well.
    Please PM me versus posting so that I don't clutter up this thread.

I'd be in!

#40 1 year ago

OK, I have 3 "testers" so I'm good on my end. I'll update next week with pics and I'll install on my TZ while shipping samples out to the three that volunteered.

I do want to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here so if I am please let me know as my intention here is to help and not cause problems.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Ok then.

In this hobby, there is always a chance to save money if you are savvy enough. And all that saving will start to add up. Let's look at an example. In this case we'll purchase a half decent Taxi for $500. The playfield has wear around the pops (common for this game), but the bottom half is mylar'd. The ramps are decent, but have a few cracks. No big deal but maybe you'll want to buy replacements. The carry passengers plastic is broken (also common.) The boards have some battery damage but can be neutralized and cleaned up if you want to put in the work. The cab is rough but can also be fixed if you take the time to do it... So let's see where were at with this if we just wanted to purchase all new stuff.

Initial purchase price - $500
    New right ramp - $129
    New left ramp - $109
    New spinout ramp - $150
    New translite - $129
    Cab decals - $250
    New Rottendog board - $380
    New display - $159
    Mirror blades - $80
    Topper - $89
    New legs - $99
    Etc...

With just those parts already the total cost for all of that is $2074! The list could go on and on and those are just basic things, not to mention your time to replace all of that.

Now, with some people, they decide they want to tackle the project themselves and fix things, like the board and display. That alone is going to save you a good chunk of money. Maybe get out the sander and sand those legs down and repaint them yourself too.

"Why are you taking all the star posts off the game and cleaning them, when you can buy new ones? They only cost $0.79 each." A lot of games have about 40 star posts (at least in my experience) so that's about $32 in just small plastic posts. What if you have 10 games in your collection? Just new star posts that are only $0.79, that's actually going to cost you $300+ for all your games if you went that route.

Saving money wherever possible is not something to turn your nose up at. Being able to save $20 here, $10 there, another $50 there...that all adds up and in the long run will save you hundreds of dollars.

#42 1 year ago

Please get me the $500 Taxi an I'll save money on the mirror blades using tin-foil.

#43 1 year ago

The problem with plastic mirror is that it's too thick. If each blade is 1/8 inch that means they will soon get scratched to hell if they fit at all.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_mirror_clear/521

#44 1 year ago

stainless steel mirror blades are 0.8mm thick which is about 1/64 inch and they still get scratched.

you can fit 8 sets of mirror blades on a sheet of 8 x 4 foot sheet of SS and including stainless and cuttings fees works out about $35 a set here in Aus. Make a sheet or 2 and sell to mates in your local area for a small mark up to cover the costs and get them for free and some of your time

#45 1 year ago

I got some Cointaker mirror blades on special at Expo. Put em in Shadow and they immediately didn't fit and got scratched. They've been wrapped up since then.

Not sure why the vinyl is so confusing. Search eBay for "chrome vinyl", buy it, cut it, apply it.
    The only thing to note is there's a clear layer on top you can pull off to reveal a bit more shiny-ness.

#46 1 year ago

I could probably do all the pins in my collection with this? Less than $2/pin. Thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-6-oz-Mirror-Finish-Spray-Paint-267727/204639861

In all seriousness, I'm always up for saving money, especially if we're just talking labor and shipping costs. My thoughts are that not only do I save some money, but learn a skill in the process by making some stuff myself.

#47 1 year ago

If you went the vinyl way you need to ensure your surface that you are applying to is ultra smooth as it will show up everything in the mirror.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

You would need to buy a sheet of stainless steal

Stainless STEEL. No one is trying to "steal" anything from anyone here.
    Just saying......

#49 1 year ago

#8 mirror stainless to be exact.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from swinks:

#8 mirror stainless to be exact.

Exactly

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 139.00
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.95
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 93.00
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside