(Topic ID: 155493)

Homemade lockdown bar

By novaguy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Decalled_Moulding_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2347_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2346_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveinTexas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 8 years ago

Did you make this out of one piece of wood?
    Nice work. Possibly some one could scan the top of another front moulding and you could make a decal then clearcoat. It would be as good a the original then.

Love this level of restore work.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from novaguy:

Yup,one piece of wood.I've already scanned an original one for the decal.the best thing to come of all of this is the fact that this game was destined for the scrap pile.....Ted

When i did this fix I used a piece of laminate and bonded to the wood then added the full decal to it and cleared. The laminate is a hard surface that receives the decal well and is quite original in appearance. I used 2 part auto clear and it is very hard now. I originally used part decals for the writing and they looked a little sad after a 6 months as dirt works its way under the edges, best to to cover it all.

The upside is a scratch can be polished out of the clear.
    Another upside you can relay a decal and clear again in minutes if some calamity happens in the future.
    The downside may be the clear to shiny decal adhesion is not so great in years to come.

So far of the three I fixed this way they have held up well and you cannot tell that it is a decal even up close. The laminate I assure you is not as tough as you would think looking at the damage and scratches I have seen.
    Decalled_Moulding_(resized).JPGDecalled_Moulding_(resized).JPG

Final observation perhaps on matching the side rails. Sand and re lacquer them all and they will be a close finish.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveinTexas.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homemade-lockdown-bar?tu=SteveinTexas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.