DVIfdQ1VwAAT6NR.jpg large (resized).jpg
Huddled-Masses (resized).png
keyser-soze-jpg_76342_20121024-484 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
billy-preston (resized).jpg
4FDB9E59-0159-4C73-8784-A3160165738B (resized).png
4F0ADBDF-F30A-4FB7-B730-9D97C2024A5B (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rooky79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

And Vid sums up one of the major problems in the USA.
(I know a lot of you don’t like outsiders passing comments, but seeing as I spend 2-3 months a year in the USA and have a green card application in, maybe you’ll let me comment ...).
Azmodeus, the OP of this thread can attest to the health system and how much it costs. His strokes costs him a fortune.
If a little country of 4,500,000 people (NZ) can provide a free healthcare system, why can’t the greatest economy in the world do it?
(We all know the answer is because the huge health insurance companies and their lobbyists fight it to the bitter end ... always follow the money trail!)
I know half of you hate Michael Moore because you sit on the conservative side of the fence, but put that aside for 90 minutes and watch his documentary Sicko and it may be an eye opener. The stories of hard working Americans losing everything because of ill heath are upsetting, to say the least.
I’ve seen the Santa Ana homeless camps that Azmodeus spoke of ... they’re huge.
One huge scandal that I think is about to break wide open is Big Pharma and their super powerful opiates that have ruined the lives of 10,000s of Americans. You can’t even get that stuff in New Zealand or any other country I know of. If you have a broken leg in NZ, they’ll give you morphine in the hospital for a day, fix your leg and send you on your way with a box of Panadols (strong aspirins!) If you want to watch something depressing, watch the documentary Heroin(e) on Netflix. Just a whole generation of kids disappearing across middle America. The doco focuses on 3 ladies making a difference which is awesome.
rd

Absolutely spot on and agree with that.

I’ve been an analytical chemist/validation officer in pharmaceutical companies since 2001 and I don’t take medicines unless necessary as I know how messed up they are. Side effects etc. I also understand how these Cxxts work. Very sly.

In the states, someone here already mentioned that it’s super easy to get opiate pills in pain centres. It’s easy money. 100’s get hooked on pain relief like Oxy each day. There are quite a few UFC fighters and other athletes that have got hooked and gone down to pain relief pills after surgeries.

With the broken leg analogy, yes they’ll give you morphine for a day but they don’t send you with just Panadol; they give out Tramadol (opiate) for the pain (unless you refuse it). I have found they dish out Tramadol for anything pain related. They always gave me Tramadol for my back or neck when I ruptured 4 discs, broken hand, broken tib and fib. I refused it and they gave me Paracodol (500mg Paracetamol and 8mg Codiene). I also got given 60 mg Codienes which are super strong. And I also know for a fact that a company here in NZ is making Ketamine and OxyContin for NZ patients. I know because I worked on the process validation for them so although it’s hard for the patient to get them from the doctor, they are here and more are coming and will be available.

What worries me though is although NZ doctors don’t dish out strong pain relief at the drop of a hat, they do dish out other drugs at alarming quantities. Zopiclone (highly addictive sleeping drug) was given to my wife to help us in the plane to the UK back in December . They gave us 20 which is ridiculous, and they gave me a months worth of 25mg Quetiapine no problem.

I’ve had an interesting journey being in contact with a lot of alcoholics and addicts. Hearing people’s stories during my time in rehab for alcohol and in the AA rooms (now an active member of AA and best thing I ever did. Should’ve done it years ago), about taking handfuls of pills (benzos, opiates mainly) and chasing it with a beer before work and then operating shipping container cranes or being an arborist has been an eye opener and tragic. Another killer is people taking Paracodol to get the opiated fix and the ODing on the Paracetamol. The problem is real in NZ more than I realised.

People living in cars because they spend their money on drugs or alcohol, people living in the streets because of their addictions. It’s really tragic.

It’s a shame that there isn’t better government funded detox for people that genuinely want change. I have a friend who is looking after a girl who can’t get into Pitman House until the 22 Feb and he is moderating her drinking to 1 standard an hour. I don’t think she’ll make it until then. She can’t walk or talk and her body is shutting down. Lost all motor functions completely. When he’s taken her to hospital, they just hit her up with 10 mg Diazepam and send her on her way.

There’s definitely pros to a free health system but also cons. The UK health system is free but it’s crap and only getting worse. But at least they have emergency detox beds. Doctors and Nurses have had a 1% pay rise since 2008. That’s messed up and they’re shutting hospitals down (or sections).

In my hometown, they’re going to shut the maternity wing which means mums will have to travel to Exeter which is an hours drive away.

Crazy.

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I think Aussie and NZ are well aware of the damaging effects of alcohol ...
You gotta admit, our “over the counter” drug problems pale into insignificance compared to the USA.
To address the other points, no “free” heath system is free (tax payer pays...) and certainly no health system is perfect. But it is very reassuring to know that when I have my upcoming massive coronary, the ambulance dudes will come pick me up, shovel me in the ambulance, hopefully shock me back into life, and not ask me how I’m gonna pay for it.
The biggest issue across the whole western world was the dismantling of mental health facilities in the 1970s and 80s. NZ used to have mental health “farms” all over the country, and if you were feeling “overwhelmed” or you had a breakdown, or you had addiction issues, you (or your doctor) could check you in, and you had a place to go where you’d be looked after. The whole social experiment of “community care” of mental patients has been an abject failure, the facilities can’t cope with demand, and people fall through the gaps, and there’s no safety net.
rd

Jesus RD what’s going on, again I agree completely.

I too am glad if I need an ambulance and care if needed.

Talking to some old timers in the rooms, they have some horrific stories of the funny farms here in NZ back in the day.

They used to give electro shock therapy here for alcoholism and addiction. And not too long ago either which is a scary thought.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in middle Tennessee has a lot of long term and short term programs for the homeless. There are rescue missions and programs like Room in the Inn where they can stay for free. In my small town an hour south of Nashville, many of the local churches have come together and offer a free place to stay, food, showers, clothes, counseling, help finding a job, etc...
There is also a lot of tax sub-sized care for mental health and substance abuse nation wide. There are also a lot of church affiliated programs out there.
https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/
Some homelessness is circumstantial, but I think most of it is related to mental health and substance abuse. All the research and data indicate that mental health issues fuel substance abuse, so good mental health treatment is the real key. I work in dual diagnosis, which addresses both mental health and substance abuse at the same time.
Addiction is about avoiding uncomfortable things, feelings, issues, people, situations, responsibilities, etc..., and escaping with drugs/alcohol. Good treatment focuses on helping people deal with life without self medicating. People do have to choose to get help, admit the seriousness of their problems, and do the hard work it takes to recover. A lot of people choose not to get help. Others might not know what options are out there.
Ultimately, in most cases, it comes down to the actions and choices of the individual. To take away that accountability is not responsible and isn't good for anyone. There are cases where the mental health issues may be so acute that the person doesn't really have the cognitive function to initiate getting any type of help.
I'm not in recovery myself, but I've worked in the field of mental health/substance abuse for a long time.

I’m in recovery myself and I don’t know why I became alcoholic.

I was never abused mentally, physically or emotionally. Alcoholism or addiction never ran in my family and I never wanted for anything.

In the treatment centre I asked the councillor why then did I turn out this way and he said “sometimes you just win the lottery.”

I drank because I liked getting smashed.

At the beginning it was fun, then fun with problems until it became just problems.

Weird thing about it is that it progresses so fast at the end.

Bottom line is though, no one will succeed in recovery unless they want change and embrace the work that’s needed. If I didn’t have my 12 step progrM I’d be typing this with a drink in my hand now at 9am. And this program gives me a daily reprieve to not pick up a drink just for today.

You’re right though it is a choice. Although no one chooses to be an addict/alcoholic, they do choose to pick up.

I choose to not pick up a drink just for today and do it all again tomorrow.

Edit: I’m also one of the “lucky” ones where I hadn’t lost everything....... Yet.

And that’s the big word here. Yet. Because it was on a fast track to losing everything and becoming one of the homeless that this thread is about

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Don't get me started on the Asian couture and the killing of animals for one part. The stealing of pattons and so on.

What about the killing of animals? What’s that about?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rooky79.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homelessness-part-two?tu=rooky79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.