1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 338 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (resized).jpg
big battery (resized).jpg
Disco (resized).jpg
IMG_8794 (resized).jpg
kevin-frayer-china-floating-solar-field-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0962 (resized).PNG
gang-four-iggy-pop-1980-los-angeles (resized).jpg
iggy-pop-nude-exhibit-brooklyn-museum (resized).png
DVIfdQ1VwAAT6NR.jpg large (resized).jpg
Huddled-Masses (resized).png
keyser-soze-jpg_76342_20121024-484 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
billy-preston (resized).jpg
4FDB9E59-0159-4C73-8784-A3160165738B (resized).png
4F0ADBDF-F30A-4FB7-B730-9D97C2024A5B (resized).jpeg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

There are 337 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 1 year ago

Nothing about pinball here, just my overwhelming desire to end homelessness. I just feel like we can fix homelessness. As a society. It is complicated and ugly.

But I think we need to fix it. It is a truly worthy cause, to me. When we even attempt to help, it creates a better place in this world for everyone. I have good friends who argue with me about aspects of homelessness. But overwhelmingly, everyone desires positive outcomes.

Theoretically it is the first thing i want to fix. Check. If we can fix it in los angeles it could possibly be modeled everywhere. Not every aspect.

But the effort itself. makes the world a better place.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/29/legal-group-sues-the-county-to-stop-clearing-of-homeless-encampments-at-santa-ana-riverbed/

#2 1 year ago

Good idea,AZ,but the folks up here homeless want to stay that way! They use whatever income they have to buy drugs,or a bottle! They beg for money for smokes,and snacks! They filter in to the soup kitchens for a belly full before finding a nice bush to sleep under!Next day,same routine! The Government should restart the old C.C.C. camps and clean this country up at least!!!I.M.H.O.

#3 1 year ago

In that link the video shows the residents. It polarizes people. But, this whole thing. Needs to improve. Its a real mess.

#4 1 year ago

“I’m not leaving until they arrest me,” said Lee Adams, 45, a Huntington Beach native who has lived at the riverbed for two years since losing his job at a local cemetery. “They have no rights to take us out.”

The lawsuit might determine whether he is right or not.

from the article...

#5 1 year ago

I heard a story by Nicholas Cage that I always found interesting and probably true. Someone was talking with him about homelessness and how not having human touch and people constantly avoiding you would slowly drive anyone crazy. After hearing that Nick made sure to give homeless people a hug or something when he gives them money. These homeless people that you see with pets ,which I never before understood because now you need to feed the dog too, probably need them for the affection that no one else will give them.

But it is true though. There is a lady at my YMCA that is homeless and she carries a cart of all her belongings to the gym. She isn't dirty or anything and stays clean but people just avoid her. I made a joke to her once when I saw her that just carrying her cart must be a workout in itself. She looked kind of surprised that someone acknowledged her and smiled back.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Good idea,AZ,but the folks up here homeless want to stay that way! They use whatever income they have to buy drugs,or a bottle! They beg for money for smokes,and snacks! They filter in to the soup kitchens for a belly full before finding a nice bush to sleep under!Next day,same routine! The Government should restart the old C.C.C. camps and clean this country up at least!!!I.M.H.O.

That’s really not the case with most people in the situation. A high number of folks have mental difficulties or deficiencies which make it impossible for them to function without a great deal of help. Many are women who have abusive husbands and who are trying to get away from them (WIth their children usually), and have no foundation to start from, or have run out of money, etc. there are no “soup kitchens” anymore, there are shelters. But homeless shelters are rife with violence, rape, theft. They are not hotels. Think of a nice jail cell with an open door. People steal and get in fights over -laundry detergent- and get beat up for just trying make it through the night.

Our support of people in these situations is pretty pitiful. Easier to close and lock your front door and forget about it existing. Or if you’re like the Uber rich residents of San Francisco (where gentrification is directly CAUSING homelessness), you contact the mayor and demand he “do something about the human garbage that is in the way of my beautiful streets”. That is a quote from some scumbag VC guy in Silicon Valley. The “laziness” and “handout” excuse are fantasies. We are the lazy ones for not attempting to better understand the problem.

#7 1 year ago

Can you imagine the horror to end up there. No one should. That is why we need to try to fix it. I want to start there. check.

#8 1 year ago

When i first started recovering and rolling around my town encountered a homeless girl. She was shouting at the sky.

She attracted the police attention as she walked by me.

Later I would see her occasionally shouting at the sky. She eyeballed me.

I did not see her for awhile, I thought she might have made it out. But the other day, she walked by the street, without shoes. She did not get out yet.

#9 1 year ago

The conditions change for the location! If you own your home,the very idea of having homeless around reduces you homes value!! I don't cost homeless people money,or problems! They cost ME to loose value in my property,and their garbage they leave everywhere! Of course,in Virginia.well,homes don't cost what they do here in Calif!! And if you think "laziness and handouts 'are fantasies"" stay awhile out in East Oakland!!You have no idea what your talking about,Arlington VA!!!

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

The conditions change for the location! If you own your home,the very idea of having homeless around reduces you homes value!! I don't cost homeless people money,or problems! They cost ME to loose value in my property,and their garbage they leave everywhere! Of course,in Virginia.well,homes don't cost what they do here in Calif!! And if you think "laziness and handouts 'are fantasies"" stay awhile out in East Oakland!!You have no idea what your talking about,Arlington VA!!!

On top of all the other abuses the homeless have heaped on you, they apparently stole your “.” key and replaced it with a “!”

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Look, I know I’m not going to convince you on a pinball forum, but I’m not just spouting platitudes here - these are facts. How do I know some of this stuff personally? My mom used to be the nurse at this shelter in Toledo, oh where I grew up: http://www.ywcanwo.org/site/c.9rKQI9MJIcIWE/b.8104099/k.7BD2/Domestic_Violence_Services.htm

And I was there Tues-Friday with her every day for the 2 years we lived there before we moved back to Detroit. You see a lot of stuff.

I guess I struck a nerve talking about property values. Dude, just move if you’re so offended by people who aren’t as lucky as you are

#12 1 year ago

Homelessness in cold climate cities adds another layer. Up here in the Toronto area we probably lose at least one person a year in the winter due to them freezing to death. We have shelters but a lot of people refuse to use them as they do not feel safe in them . Lots of violence and robberies so they would rather take their chances out on the streets. Very sad !

#13 1 year ago

Jesus said that we would always have the poor in the world. I guess it is up to each one of us to do all we can to ease their suffering. That will most certainly be one of the many things upon which we will be judged.I cannot imagine what it would be like to never really be warm / cool and secure. To never know stability; to always be in some degree of need of the basic necessities of life. Yes, some homeless choose that lifestyle but most do not. And, there is a population of homeless that we never see... they sleep in cars or move between friend’s homes.
When I look at all the arcade games that fill my gameroom it gives me pause.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Budman:

When I look at all the arcade games that fill my gameroom it gives me pause.

Amen !

#15 1 year ago

To end homelessness you have to first stop all drug abuse and mental disorders. We won't see the end in our lifetimes.

#16 1 year ago

As Jesus once said, “Foresake the homeless as they reduce your property values. Blessed be those with the highest property values and the most pins. The homeless can piss off!”

Pretty sure that was Jesus, but sometimes I get confused.

#17 1 year ago

If 71% of all homeless people have mental illness, then we have to get Congress to allow Stem Cell Research.

Call your Congressman (or woman) on Monday and express your concerns.

It's easy to get distracted by all the noise, and forget about what is really important - our citizens.

It sucks that countries like Korea have far surpassed us, even making those great glow-in-the-dark cats, while we are stuck with crappy non-stem cell cats.

hqdefault (resized).jpg

#18 1 year ago

Are homeless people all homeless for the same reason? Same cause?

Are there in fact, various reasons why one can become homeless?

Has anyone in this forum ever been very very close to being homeless, or actually been homeless for a while?

What do people in this forum generally have in common that will prevent them from "falling through the cracks" so to speak, that they'll usually survive a challenging issue with (addiction, mental illness, poverty, or avoiding an abuser), and land back on their feet?

Have you ever tried solving serious life problems completely on your own with no (family/friends/LOVE) to help pull you through a tough time? I sure as F*** have not ever tried that one.

Therefore: I don't know JACK SH!T about what it feels like to be loveless AND homeless -- independently or at the same time.

In fact, I'm not sure I've met too many people who have accurately imagined what a horror it would be to be stuck in that situation. I think the closest typically we get to imagining it for a few moments -- are the moments we witness refugees on TV in "other" countries (strife with civil war and other atrocities) walking into the unknown with only a few belongings... But can we actually accurately imagine how horrible it must feel to be fleeing an old life into the total unknown with no love? I doubt it -- not unless we've actually been a refugee before.

I mostly take having love and a home for granted. Each and every day. Neither issue crosses my mind -- until I see/smell a homeless person curled up on the side of the street on my way to work in SF, and then my heart breaks for just a moment, and I remember what a lucky son of a B**** I am.

I luck-boxed into a life of LOVE. Yes, with choice, social skills, and good actions, I've chosen and learned to maintain and grow love in my life... But I had ZERO CHOICE about where on the planet I was born, and into what family situation I got started with.

Did you choose the country and family situation you were born into? Seriously?

-mof

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Homelessness in cold climate cities adds another layer. Up here in the Toronto area we probably lose at least one person a year in the winter due to them freezing to death. We have shelters but a lot of people refuse to use them as they do not feel safe in them . Lots of violence and robberies so they would rather take their chances out on the streets. Very sad !

The cold is a wrinkle that would need to be worked out per region. Like in Los angeles not as cold. Not an issue. But in detriot freezing. But the solutions we'll come up with, I'm hoping some will be universally helpful.

#20 1 year ago

I know we cannot truly fix it but can we? Everyone has told us what we can and can't do all our whole lives.

I am polarized on the causes for homelessness but I want to help. Everyone always said and says there is nothing new under the sun. But I disagree. I see things differently now. Am I so unique? No. Others must feel the same way. So if i can think differently we can come up with new solutions, perhaps.

But it will require teams. I'm on the Team.

Blah blah I'm rambling. I want to change the world. I have dreams of grandeur.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

The cold is a wrinkle that would need to be worked out per region. Like in Los angeles not as cold. Not an issue. But in detriot freezing. But the solutions we'll come up with, I'm hoping some will be universally helpful.

All set these days in Detroit...

#22 1 year ago

If you teach a man to fish. He always eats. In society people need a hand up and not a hand out. People abuse the welfare system and the generosity of others. It's not easy to come back from bad decisions and life kicks everyone in the teeth. Most don't stay in shelters mostly because of the no drugs no alcohol policy, and yes it can be a dangerous place. People are animals and your neighbor will step on your child's head to save themselves in an emergency. We are ugly creatures same as any nature show you watch when the cute baby seal gets eaten. I've hung out with the homeless and it is true they are people and deserve to be treated as such. Saving them is up to them.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

All set these days in Detroit...

It's funny that only Rush listeners would believe that Obama was somehow handing out money to the people of Detroit.

Of course, the real story was that after the economic crash of 2009, those people were in line for for assistance in avoiding foreclosure on their homes.

There was no "Obama money" handout. Ever.

Just a program that allowed HOMEOWNERS to stand in line all day for assistance in filling out the anti-foreclosure paperwork.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

#24 1 year ago

I live in a small town and have tried to help 2 homeless people in the community. I guess I felt sorry for them. One woman received a govt. disability check each month so I offered her a room at a very affordable price. I liked her but I found her smoking crack in my kitchen at 3am so she had to leave. About a year later she died from a drug overdose. I also offered a room to a guy I knew from high school, but he drank up his entire paycheck at the local bar so that didn't last long. Oh well I tried.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's funny that only Rush listeners would believe that Obama was somehow handing out money for the people of Detroit.
Of course, the real story was that after the economic crash of 2009, those people were in line for for assistance in avoiding foreclosure on their homes.
There was no "Obama money" handout. Ever.
Just a program that allowed HOMEOWNERS to stand in line all day for assistance in filling out the anti-foreclosure paperwork.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

I couldn't find the other recording (with video in front of Cobo Center) without Limblow.

#26 1 year ago

I bought and handed out sleeping bags one winter. It was sad to see that a week later they didn't have them. Maybe stolen which I kind of feared when buying them that it may add violence to their lives or maybe something else. It's great to help, but the helpy has to do their part. We all have to do our part.

#27 1 year ago

Here’s how one fixes homelessness:

1) an economy with enough jobs for everyone
2) don’t give people free stuff like housing and food
3) when people get hungry enough or cold/hot/wet enough, they will get jobs and buy their own shelter

I am sure this will be a sore subject with lots of folks.

Here’s one of the best signs I have ever seen:

4F0ADBDF-F30A-4FB7-B730-9D97C2024A5B (resized).jpeg

#28 1 year ago

We can't even agree as a society that healthcare is a basic human right.

Mental illness and addictions are diseases same as cancer or autism, yet have completely different stigmas attached.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

when people get hungry enough or cold/hot/wet enough, they will get jobs and buy their own shelter

This proves my point. You wouldn't cure a cancer patient by telling them to get a job.

What about the entire group of people that can't work because of disability?

#30 1 year ago

3) when people get hungry enough or cold/hot/wet enough, they will get jobs and buy their own shelter.

Or, they will steal from others to get money to get food, shelter, malted beverages, wine, liquor, cigarettes, scratch-off lottery tickets etc.

#31 1 year ago

Every situation is different. Some homeless deserve help, some don't.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I couldn't find the other recording (with video in front of Cobo Center) without Limblow.

Rush or no Rush, it's still a completely fake story.

There are way more impoverished people in cities like Philadelphia, so why would Obama not hand out money there?

If there was an "Obama Money" handout in Detroit, then the mayors of EVERY major city would be crying for their cut.

It's the perfect set up for gullible white people:

1. Pick the most villainized black city in America: Detroit.

2. Show a bunch of scary black people waiting in line outside a giant convention center.

3. Claim that a black President is giving away free "Obama Money" .

4. Don't say that the line of people is actually all Detroit homeowners (you know, people that pay taxes, have a job).

5. Find a black woman who thinks that everyone in line is getting some cash (rather than trying to save their homes), and play her soundbite over and over.

Watch the white outrage at the injustice of it all.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

We can't even agree as a society that healthcare is a basic human right.
Mental illness and addictions are diseases same as cancer or autism, yet have completely different stigmas attached.

I agree. We used to. But in the 1990s, our government decided that “institutionalizing people” and keeping them in mental hospitals or addiction centers was cruel and inhumane. So instead, we let them all loose on the streets. How that is more humane has been a puzzle for me for years.

The other part of the complicated equation....when the federal gov went into business to compete against traditional society safety nets, like churches and civic groups, that’s where things really went astray. Now, the federal government and our taxes have to foot the bill for it all.

And as a footnote....why does Oprah Winfrey worry so much about good schools in Africa, and Bill Gates focuses his philanthropy mostly overseas? In the old days, we took care of each other. Now, we expect the gov to solve all of our ills....but they can’t get out of their own way.

#34 1 year ago

I agree. We used to. But in the 1990s, our government decided that “institutionalizing people” and keeping them in mental hospitals or addiction centers was cruel and inhumane. So instead, we let them all loose on the streets. How that is more humane has been a puzzle for me for years.
The other part of the complicated equation....when the federal gov went into business to compete against traditional society safety nets, like churches and civic groups, that’s where things really went astray. Now, the federal government and our taxes have to foot the bill for it all.

You’re off by a decade or two — deinstitutionalization was a 70s/80s thing. And you have the rationale a little muddled — it was a Regan-era “shrink the federal govt” movement as much as a “let my people go” thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinstitutionalization

The federal government’s $$ contributions to mental health may be higher now than in 1970, but I’d bet that’s down to the insane increase in healthcare costs in general, not an increased interest in helping the mentally ill.

And as a footnote....why does Oprah Winfrey worry so much about good schools in Africa, and Bill Gates focuses his philanthropy mostly overseas? In the old days, we took care of each other. Now, we expect the gov to solve all of our ills....but they can’t get out of their own way.

It’s their money, they should spend it however they want to. The government is “us”, so I expect it to give a shit about “us”. Bill Gates and Oprah are just super rich people - I’ve got no expectation that they’ll spend their cash on projects of particular importance to me or to the United States citizenry in general.

#35 1 year ago

Everybody here should probably sell all their pinball machines and other worldly goods and set up a booth with all their cash in the local parks or wherever the homeless live and say "take a number!"

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Everybody here should probably sell all their pinball machines and other worldly goods and set up a booth with all their cash in the local parks or wherever the homeless live and say "take a number!"

Haha!!

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You’re off by a decade or two — deinstitutionalization was a 70s/80s
thing. And you have the rationale a little muddled — it was a Regan-era “shrink the federal govt” movement as much as a “let my people go” thing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinstitutionalization

Every administration no matter the party is accountable to it. They are two sides to the same coin. It’s an oligopoly. It there were only two airlines price fixing, the government would put the hammer down. But it’s quite “ legal “ for the feds to do it.

#38 1 year ago

Here’s how one fixes homelessness:
1) an economy with enough jobs for everyone

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/12/news/economy/job-openings-record-high/index.html

Quoted from Azmodeus:

Nothing about pinball here, just my overwhelming desire to end homelessness. I just feel like we can fix homelessness. As a society. It is complicated and ugly. But I think we need to fix it.

Sell TOM, give the money to charity, close thread.

#39 1 year ago

Sort of related: my buddy in SF told me that the city staffs booths with registered nurses who will inject you with your heroin and also that city workers are entitled to sex change operations in their healthcare plan.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Either that or sell the Vatican.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Either that or sell the Vatican.

Doesn't William Randolph Hearst own that?

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Budman:

that city workers are entitled to sex change operations in their healthcare plan.

You better hurry up and get your 90 days in with the city!

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You better hurry up and get your 90 days in with the city!

You better hurry up and get in before the lock.

#44 1 year ago

This subject hits VERY close to home........ All I can say is both sides have very good points. In my case the person aimed to physically destroy our home. A lifetime of hard work as one persons mindset destroys core family values and a way of life that effects all other members in our home. " including our beloved pets "

There is no one answer. Very sad but most cases stem from mental illness or drug addiction.

#45 1 year ago

edit

#46 1 year ago

Couple of points: When your on the bottom there is no where to fall. These folks want to be where they are. By giving em a few bucks your just giving a little kindness. (have a drink on me or hot bowl of chili)

There are those that desperately need a home. Children. My wife and I adopted two children in 2010. Everyone needs to decide where and how they can pitch in to help homeless people whether its a life or bowl of chili.

#47 1 year ago

I was thinking about housing in Los Angeles. Even if I could help build new housing, the system needs a major overhaul. But it seems like for the most part selfishness is the rule of the day. I can't help but be selfish, by nature. But I can help others too. I will.

What mess. I still want to solve it first.

#48 1 year ago

Everyone, ship your pinball boxes to LA.
Problem solved.

#49 1 year ago

Because we are all people living on the same planet. Some (most) are much worse off than in the US.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Because we are all people living on the same planet. Some (most) are much worse off than in the US.

It's refreshing to see someone identify this. In the much larger scale of things, we are all humans and if we want to avoid going extinct, we have to take care of each other and stop looking at things as "team A vs. Team B".

Everything in the universe wants to wipe us out, including our own planet.

It is the duty of all able bodied, capable, smart people to look out for those that can't do it for themselves, including mental illness and addiction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 129.25
$ 109.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 219.00
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 71.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 59.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 337 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside