3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by GPS
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Shoot 7 (resized).jpg
    Shoot 5 (resized).jpg
    Shoot 6 (resized).jpg
    Shoot 4 (resized).jpg
    Final (resized).jpg
    Shoot 2 (resized).jpg
    Shoot 3 (resized).jpg
    Shoot 1 (resized).jpg
    MultiGrip (resized).jpg
    HF paint gun (resized).jpg
    Duplicolor Black Lacquer (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Here's one way to get some pretty darn good webbing done without too much hassle. Forget the rattle can stuff - we're gonna cook up a homebrew recipe here. All you'll need is a small siphon feed paint gun to shoot the webbing mixture, and the usual painting tools.

The project for the test here is a Gottlieb Bonanza. Old school paint from 1964. Base off-white, pretty thin webbing on this particular one and really basic red/blue artwork on top. The approach I'm taking has been chosen to obtain the most accurate repro look possible with the minimum time and money.

Our cabinet was stripped, sanded & repaired, and two coats of Zinsser primer/sealer applied, sanded between coats. The base off-white is flat latex sprayed on. Another way to get a nice smooth finish would be to mix some Floetrol into the latex, then roll on with a foam roller. Very little "stipple" in the base coat that way. Now its time for the webbing:

The webbing technique is one I found on a gun restoration forum. They use paint and glue to make a paint that will spray and web. For this post, I will share with you my test shots - failures and success both.

The recipe used is three ingredients: 1) Black lacquer 2) Glue and 3) Lacquer thinner
    The ratios of these ingredients matter tremendously. However - by mixing our own webbing paint we can alter the ingredients and achieve any kind of result we want.

Now the details: for paint, I'm using Duplicolor Black Lacquer:
    DupliColor Black lacquer

I managed to find a quart of it at my local auto parts store. (FYI - I did attempt to make a webbing mixture with oil based enamel, and glue but nothing worked. The only paint I find that works is lacquer)

The glue used for this mixture is called "Beacon Multi-Grip", available at WalMart:
    MultiGrip (resized).jpg

Multi-Grip is a very high strength, clear, medium bodied, fast curing, bodied solvent-type acrylic cement. Its similar but a little thinner than something like Weld-On 16, but I believe Weld-On 16 would also work (disclaimer: I haven't tested W-16 yet)

And finally, for spraying the webbing I opted to use a standard siphon feed touch-up paint gun. The gun I use is very similar to the one Harbor Freight sells (HF item item number 66871):
    HF paint gun (resized).jpg

Time to go do some test shoots! For each shoot I will show you the recipe ratios, the gun and air settings and a picture of the results. Note that as I go from one shoot to the next, only one variable (mixture %, needle setting or air pressure) will be changed. That way we can see how making changes to each variable affects the outcome. So keep track of what's being tweaked between shoots and then compare results to get a feel for how things go:

SHOOT 1: 80% paint / 20% glue / 40 psi / 2 turns open on the needle
    Shoot 1 (resized).jpg

SHOOT 2: 66% paint / 33% glue / 40 psi / 2 turns
    Shoot 2 (resized).jpg

SHOOT 3: 66% paint / 33% glue / 40 psi / 1-1/2 turns
    Shoot 3 (resized).jpg

SHOOT 4: 66% paint / 33% glue / 50 psi / 1-1/2 turns
    Shoot 4 (resized).jpg

SHOOT 5: 75% paint / 25% glue / 50 psi / 1-1/2 turns
    Shoot 5 (resized).jpg

SHOOT 6: 75% paint / 25% glue / 40 psi / 3/4 turn
    Shoot 6 (resized).jpg

SHOOT 7: 65% paint / 25% glue / 10% lacquer thinner / 40 psi / 3/4 turn
    Shoot 7 (resized).jpg

Shoot 7 was the look I wanted. Fine webbing - sort of like Angel Hair type. Note how the addition of only 10% lacquer thinner stopped the "blobbing" issue. This is pretty much a dead-on perfect copy of how this old Bonanza cab was originally done.

Using the recipe from Shoot 7 again I (bravely) went out and shot the whole thing with it.
    Final (resized).jpg

Love the results! The webbing worked great, had super good adhesion and was easy to apply. None of these were done using any "fan" air on the gun. Also do pay close attention to the needle setting. You can greatly vary the webbing thickness with more or less needle. I found that +/- only 1/8 of a turn made a difference.

Advantages to making your own webbing paint:
    - infinitely variable effects depending on how its mixed
    - mix custom colors
    - much better surface adhesion than rattle-can stuff
    - cheaper
    - larger spray pattern makes it easier to apply a "random" look
    - funner!

#2 3 months ago

Fantastic work. Thanks for posting so many details and the results of your experiments.

Yves

#3 3 months ago

The outputs across the Shoot variations were very interesting, Bill.

It was nice of you to detail the work, and the cabinet webbing looks great!

#4 3 months ago

Most excellent !

#5 3 months ago

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

#6 3 months ago

I feel threatened

#7 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

I feel threatened

Nah! You firmly kicked our butts @ Cactus Jacks last night!

Now: y'all should know how much help Ken Head (aka P-52) has been in achieving a successful outcome here. There are a number of other details involved in getting a cabinet webbed properly; also in getting top notch results using stencils or templates to apply the cab art over the webbing. I'm an experienced painter, but still there are many ways a job like this can end in disaster, and Ken has been a major help in my own education in doing cab repaint work.

2 months later
    #8 15 days ago

Great results!!!
    What did you use to measure the ratios? As you likely won't need a lot of paint to web a cabinet

#9 15 days ago

Best thread on this topic yet.

Going to get a gun specifically for this as I don’t want to screw with my nice gun. Can you detail what gun you have exactly. If it’s not super spendy I think you may be able to sell a few

Also going to get paint and glue your using. Thanks for this, it’s timed perfectly and I have been researching this as it’s my next step on a restore.

1 week later
    #10 7 days ago

dudah - For measuring quantities I simply used small ratio cups obtained from a local hobby store. They’re also widely available online. The ratios were all done by volume, not by weight. But if you wanted to figure out a weight:volume relationship for the paint/glue/lacquer an accurate scale could also be used to set your ratios. And yeah I think you could web a whole cab with maybe 3 ounces of sprayable material total. Not much!

rufessor - the spray gun I used is a 20+ years old (Sears Craftsman branded) touch-up siphon feed gun but it’s nearly identical to the HF model pictured above. The main thing is that you use a siphon feed gun not HVLP as I believe it’s important to have the higher nozzle pressure to spit and sort of sling this heavy paint mixture out and get the webbing to behave correctly. I haven’t tested any HVLP guns for this but I think they just operate at too low pressure to work. These simple siphon feed guns are pretty cheap, like in the $20 range.

#11 7 days ago

Many thanks. I have been toying with a new cab for my Atlantis. This was the stumbling block. Thanks again. Very descriptive for a noob like me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 217.00
    $ 18.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 35.00
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 449.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 189.99
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside