Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Sandman454
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    a116213b3827e25c36a940f9b6628f3dd156a20b (resized).jpg
    f69fcb9a26c703d5628b0ea8d47e72672ee42354 (resized).jpg
    84b06800363a2571913a73e8928b25ac0e071e7e (resized).jpg
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I'm hoping to build a home-brew this year and not sure what I'll need to purchase.

Boards to drive various solenoids & lights - - Seems like P3Roc, Cobrapin, FAST are the most commonly talked about. Any advantage or difference to any of these? I'm a noob so the easiest board set is probably best for me.

Code - MPF. Any others? If I go with P3Roc or FAST do I need MPF? Again, something relatively easy for a noob to understand is ideal. I'll probably use a windows machine for this project.

If I buy a board like a P3ROC, what is the minimum additional I'll need to start testing flippers & other toys? I see power supplies & other solenoid boards on their website, but assuming I get those boards and hook them up, is there any code required to just make them flip?

Thanks, and sorry if these are basic/obvious. Hopefully someone else benefits from the answers.

#2 3 years ago

If you go to pinballmakers.com it does a pretty good job of explaining the different control systems and such.

#3 3 years ago

Eastern MA is a good place to be for this...lots of designers in the region. We usually have a panel of homebrew designers at Pintastic New England. Maybe some of them will see this thread.
    .................David Marston

#4 3 years ago

Cool, thanks. I've browsed the pinballmakers site but I'm also interested in first hand experience - what are most people using, what have people found to be the easiest setup, etc. I've got a lot of ideas in my head around a theme - I'm dying to start playing around to see if any of my ideas are feasible (and don't suck!)

#5 3 years ago

No matter what boards you choose you'll still need to code it. If you're not a programmer MPF is usually the way to go, but there's also other stuff if you are (or roll your own).

Cobra is still a pretty new thing. Price is great compared to others but I'm not sure how many people have experience with it yet

#6 3 years ago

MPF supports a bunch of hardware platforms. With P/P3-Roc there are also Skeletongame and pyprocgame but those are limited that that specific hardware. Some other platforms such as APC also got simple frameworks. MPF offers premade components for most common tasks (everything can be customized).

Jan

#7 3 years ago

I am using P3 and MPF. Both have been great. You are going to learn a lot homebrewing and it can be frustrating at times but it's also super fun and rewarding. It will certainly give you respect for the guys who do this for a living. If nothing else this will teach you woodworking skills, geometric design, metal working, wiring, soldering, 3D modeling, coding, sound design and animations. Depending on how much of a noob to pinball you are this will be a steep set of hills to climb but none of them are unclimbable! I would suggest designing your game virtually to start it will save you a lot of time and money if you pretty much know what you're going to build and that those things will actually be shootable when physics are applied.

#8 3 years ago

I think I'll be ok with the physical construction part of the build - the coding may be the most challenging part of this for me. That or the electrical - burning up a board is a distinct possibility

#9 3 years ago

How are going to route the PF? Find a makerspace (or an equivalent) and CNC it?

#10 3 years ago

Curious what total costs typically range.

#11 3 years ago

I'll do all the routing myself to save money (buying all of the PROC boards & power supplies will already cost ~$500). It won't be perfect but I have the tools and enough ability to get by. I recently restored a target alpha and learned that SprayMax2k can cover up minor imperfections in play surface with enough coats and patience.

I'm kicking myself for selling my old BoP playfields. It would have been nice to be able to trace them out for outside dimensions & ball drain hole placement. I've been scouring the web for 2D or CAD drawings of playfields that are of specific sizes (e.g. WPC or Sys11) but I'm coming up empty.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

I'll do all the routing myself to save money (buying all of the PROC boards & power supplies will already cost ~$500). It won't be perfect but I have the tools and enough ability to get by. I recently restored a target alpha and learned that SprayMax2k can cover up minor imperfections in play surface with enough coats and patience.
    I'm kicking myself for selling my old BoP playfields. It would have been nice to be able to trace them out for outside dimensions & ball drain hole placement. I've been scouring the web for 2D or CAD drawings of playfields that are of specific sizes (e.g. WPC or Sys11) but I'm coming up empty.

There are some files for that on pinball makers. The Mad Max Fury Road homebrew thread also mentions independently scanning in some measurements from a system 11, they can probably send you the file

#13 3 years ago

I looked on pinball makers & found a .png of the lower part of a wpc playfield. I guess that's all you need if the rest of the playfield is just the remainder of a rectangle? I'll also check out the mad max thread - thanks for the tip.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

I guess that's all you need if the rest of the playfield is just the remainder of a rectangle

Yeah, the playfield length varies a lot between games, I've found. Anywhere from 40-50" at least. There's a table of measurements on the wiki as well, although they're not always 100% accurate.

Just as important as the positionings of the flippers, slings, etc, is however you're mounting your playfield to the cabinet (both at the lockdown bar and at the back). You need to figure out what cabinet you're using (used or new), what hardware will go in it, and then that will tell you where all the playfield mounting hardware goes as well as the max length you have to work with

#15 3 years ago

I think at the beginning it all went very slow to find the right information. I tried to measure everything i needed of of my Bride of Pinbot. I made my playfield 1140mm x 560mm and 12mm thick. I did cut the playfield by hand as well, because i have no option to use a cnc, but i'm it turned out ok. Then i designed everything in inkscape (free), from there i exported drawings to tinkercad (free) to create my 3d printed guides. My slingshotplastics, posts, inlaneguides are 3d printed as well.
    I used a P3Roc and the Driver boards that go with it, and MPF. At first it was a bit of a learning curve, but now i really love MPF, i find the tutorials really great and helpful. When first using the P3Roc i had some issues as well, but Gerry Stellenberg helped me with that.
    I have no experience with the otherboards or software, but i wouldn' want to try something different now, i really love P3Roc and MPF right now.

#16 3 years ago

Also it is very important to think ahead how you want the playfield to be tilted up in the cabinet etc, because you will need to fix something when everything is put together.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from jabdoa:

MPF supports a bunch of hardware platforms. With P/P3-Roc there are also Skeletongame and pyprocgame but those are limited that that specific hardware. Some other platforms such as APC also got simple frameworks. MPF offers premade components for most common tasks (everything can be customized).
    Jan

And can i just say i really love MPF!! Thank you jabdoa! it is a lot of fun to create the code and see the results

#18 3 years ago

I decided to start with a retheme instead of a complete build, and I'm very happy I did. The amount of time needed for the various skillsets required is far more than I anticipated, and I assumed it would be a lot.

You may want to consider adding a proc to an existing machine as a starting point. Altering a design is just as much fun and lessens the load.

Either way, it sounds like you have passion! Good luck, whichever route you choose.

#19 3 years ago

Once I get a cabinet together and cut my first whitewood, I think things will pick up speed pretty quickly. I'm a pretty hands on person. Trying to learn how to lay things out in VPX has been a huge chore. I'll probably skip that step

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Eastern MA is a good place to be for this...lots of designers in the region.
    .................David Marston

I agree. I'm in eastern Ma, and I use P-Roc as the over-the counter controller. I'm different though, I use pure C/C++/C# for my games and my own personal frameworks.

#21 3 years ago

I'm planning to build on a WPC cabinet & playfield simply because the dimensions seem readily available and sized to fit modern toys/mechs. Any reason to broaden my horizons and look at different cabinet/playfield options? I would be more open to using a donor cab but the market is so overpriced at the moment that building from scratch seems like a cheaper option.

#22 3 years ago

If you go with the P3-ROC You will need a minimum of a P3-ROC, a SW-16 board and a PD-16 board. This will give you 16 switches and 16 coil outputs which is plenty to get you started. With that you can drive two double wound flipper coils, two slings, a trough eject, shooter lane eject, and either eight more mechanisms (pop bumper etc.) or eight flasher lamps. I also recommend the power entry board. It makes your wiring easier and you’ll be less likely to blow some thing because of grounding problems. While it seems like a more expensive board, it saves time and replacement costs in the long run.

You will need a five volt supply, a 12 V supply and a 600 W 48 V switching power supply for your coils. Meanwell 48v is the most common PSU brand used. For the lower voltages, you can use a old computer ATX supply which will give you plenty of 12 and 5 V current. Lastly you need a computer to run your framework (MPF or skeleton game). Hardware requirements can be minimal on this. Just some thing that will run either Linux , windows or OSX. If you haven’t figured it out already, the framework sends the rule instructions to the p3-ROC (when switch A hit activate coil 1 for 20 ms, etc). The host computer also handles sound, lights and a display.

#23 3 years ago

To hook up all your wiring, you will need to look carefully at the Multimorphic docs which includes a spreadsheet on the different size header plugs and crimp pins needed. 18 G wire For coils, I use 22 gauge for switches but 20-24 is OK. I go through a good bit of wiring detail in my build, Greek Gods https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greek-gods-homebrew

#24 3 years ago

Thanks for that. I've been reading through all of the homebrew threads multiple times (your Greek Gods is very cool). I had no idea how much I wanted to build a homebrew until I found this subforum! You guys make it look way easier than it will be.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

Once I get a cabinet together and cut my first whitewood, I think things will pick up speed pretty quickly. I'm a pretty hands on person. Trying to learn how to lay things out in VPX has been a huge chore. I'll probably skip that step

I skipped the 3D modeling part and I wish I hadn’t. It made getting this up and running faster but now there is going to be a larger hurdle to get to the second white wood. And for me at least the second white wood will be where I am really able to start coding. There is no wrong way but I wish I had built a CAD model before the physical.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I skipped the 3D modeling part and I wish I hadn’t. It made getting this up and running faster but now there is going to be a larger hurdle to get to the second white wood. And for me at least the second white wood will be where I am really able to start coding. There is no wrong way but I wish I had built a CAD model before the physical.

I'm in the same situation. If you have any way to get white woods cut via CNC, go for it, imo. Maybe just try out some shot geometries or something on hand cut one, but the further you get the more pain it's gonna be

#27 3 years ago

I don't understand the issue with CAD vs no CAD. If I lay things out on cheap wood and they don't work, isn't it just a matter of moving them around, maybe patching holes, etc., and then when everything works, using the 1st wood as a template for drilling holes in the final? I'm sure the problems will become obvious to me once I get started, but I just feel like learning CAD is a steep climb for me. I am proficient with illustrator, photoshop, etc. but for some reason CAD always seems obnoxiously cumbersome and unintuitive whenever I try it.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boslaw:

I don't understand the issue with CAD vs no CAD. If I lay things out on cheap wood and they don't work, isn't it just a matter of moving them around, maybe patching holes, etc., and then when everything works, using the 1st wood as a template for drilling holes in the final? I'm sure the problems will become obvious to me once I get started, but I just feel like learning CAD is a steep climb for me. I am proficient with illustrator, photoshop, etc. but for some reason CAD always seems obnoxiously cumbersome and unintuitive whenever I try it.

I guess we're assuming you want to do cad at some point. Cutting the playfield cleanly without any mistakes by hand is hard, especially if you're doing all the inserts. I just did 30 inserts in mine by hand with a router and guide and still messed up a few even after a lot of practice.

#29 3 years ago

Yeah, doing it perfectly by hand is nearly impossible.

#30 3 years ago

I also wished I did cad first. I had to remove everything topside and then spend hours measuring holes and recording.. I have many hours ahead to get that to cad. I hand routed about 100 inserts I believe .. it was a pain in the ass. Circles are fine with a forstner bit.. Anything else is impossible to get perfect. Then all the rest of the holes as well...part of the problem is you don’t really want to strip your first whitewood completely , at least I’d prefer to transfer it over to a new one so it’s clear where stuff goes.

You can definitely do it without CAD, but it won’t be perfect. I’ve seen a homebrew guy get one modeled and cut in a few months, who had zero modeling experience and hated fusion the whole way. He’s very happy to have that playfield now though.

One other thing - boards might be $500-$1000 depending on how complex you go.. but parts and tools and wire and .. on the list goes and it keeps adding up. Better not to count costs. I am thousands and thousands in, and more to spend. If you can go simpler, I highly recommend that for a first. Costs will be much more under control, less time, less frustration.. I think anyone trying to homebrew a modern stern or jjp type game will find they probably spend as much or more than a new stern pro

It’s an awesome project though - wish you luck!! Please start a thread so we can follow

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yeah, doing it perfectly by hand is nearly impossible.

Nah... This was all done by hand. It just takes a few days of slow slooooooow work
    84b06800363a2571913a73e8928b25ac0e071e7e (resized).jpg84b06800363a2571913a73e8928b25ac0e071e7e (resized).jpgf69fcb9a26c703d5628b0ea8d47e72672ee42354 (resized).jpgf69fcb9a26c703d5628b0ea8d47e72672ee42354 (resized).jpga116213b3827e25c36a940f9b6628f3dd156a20b (resized).jpga116213b3827e25c36a940f9b6628f3dd156a20b (resized).jpg

#32 3 years ago

I startet out with pen and paper to get an idea of the ramps and loops etc.
    you definitly could go without drawing, but i think it helps with the planning and design.
    A vector drawing in inkscape worked for me, you don't have to know cad for that and it really helped me.
    Then i printed everything and glued it on the wood, and cut my playfield by hand, it took some days, and some extra time with a chisel to get the inserts in.

#33 3 years ago

My assumptions (which may be totally incorrect) -

The most important holes to get "correct" are the flippers, inlane/outlane bracket, trough, and shooter lane. The rest I assume I can lay out by hand with a forstner, drill, and router if I use basic insert shapes (circles) and stay away from complex shapes. I could do those too, but that would require router jigs, etc that I don't know if I want to be bothered with for my first time. I plan on using a NOS playfield as a template for those critical holes.

If I do a vinyl overlay for the playfield art and cut the insert holes after the vinyl has been applied (like the pinball amigos did with crazy mansion), then any "mistakes" can be filled/ bondoed before applying the vinyl and they'll never be seen.

I'm 100% certain that I'm underestimating difficulties and that some of my assumptions will prove false, but I still feel pretty sure that I can do what I described above.

Mbecker I'm fully prepared for the cost of this (the cost to build my virtual pin went way over budget) but if I can save big $$ by routing & cutting myself rather than paying a lot for CNC, that's my goal

#34 3 years ago

If I had a cnc I would have made it in CAD eventually. I did mine originally in VPX which not only allowed me to play it and test layouts that way, I also exported the blueprint from VPX and had it printed full scale allowing me to place it on the plywood to mark all my holes, etc.

You can import models of all the messages into VPX as well to get fit. Very little changed after playing the whitewood location wise, vpx isn't perfect as far as play goes, but can be close enough. You don't have to code it all in VPX, just get flippers working to test play.

#35 3 years ago

What is the best (easiest to figure out) CAD program to create a file for CNC cutting?

#36 3 years ago

I made a series of (OLD) videos showcasing how I hand-cut custom classic style playfields. This is after I did make a solidworks CAD model of the game. The first cut was was made from the visual pinball schematic.

Hopefully it will give you an idea of time and materials needed for this type of thing.

http://www.linscustompins.com/?page_id=28

#37 3 years ago

Good stuff Lin - very clear and deliberate process. Gives me confidence that I can do this.

BorgDog I'm gonna keep playing around and trying to learn how to design in VPX but it's painful. I have an old Bride of Pinbot ramp I'm thinking about using for my home-brew, so I downloaded the BoP table and tried 100 different ways to export the ramp and import it into a blank VPX table. I sort of got it done, but it wasn't pretty, didn't look good, and I have zero confidence that the heights and specs of the ramp carried over correctly. I feel like I'm using an application designed for Win95 that was never updated for modern UI/conventions. I can't really complain because the app is free, but learning that how to design in that app seems more daunting to me right now than any other part of this build.

#38 3 years ago

It’s the inserts that sent me into CAD. I was able to make very serviceable jigs for a trim router using my 3-D printer. These worked great for pop bumpers, slingshots, scoops, all of the standard mechs. Round inserts were also easy to do with a drill. IMO where cad really becomes a requirement if if you are doing interesting things with 3-D using upper and lower playfields or very complicated ramps. And for non-circular inserts. For my first white wood, I worked out and shot geometries using adobe illustrator and it worked fine. After I was flipping I ended up moving a couple of mechs, patching the holes with bondo and cutting new holes. When I went from my Whitewood to my final board, I stripped off the parts and scanned the playfield to line up everything in fusion360 so I could CNC cut inserts and prepare a matching art layer.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

When I went from my Whitewood to my final board, I stripped off the parts and scanned the playfield to line up everything in fusion360 so I could CNC cut inserts and prepare a matching art layer.

How did you scan it?

#40 3 years ago

HP used to make a flatbed scanner that lays on the object to be scanned. I ended up with 16 images that Photoshop stitched together to one giant image. This guy set as a background image in fusion 360. I’ve been drafted my holes over the existing holes, moving some of them around a bit. I laid the insert holes into place as well. I exported this as a DXF file for CNC and back to illustrator for art.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

How did you scan it?

Grab one of the old school HP scanners on eBay for about $100 with the transparent viewing windows. Only issue is stiching the images.. it won’t be 10% accurate so you still have to make adjustments in fusion

Edit — too late by 20 seconds lol

#42 3 years ago

Yeah, Photoshop made a mistake on my stitching. I should’ve taken a sharpie marker and drawn out a grid on the playfield. I could’ve picked up the mistake sooner that way.

#43 3 years ago

Boslaw — see if you can grab a homebrew box of ramp sections from ramp o matic.. great deal for $30 or so including shipping. If you like a more physical style of initial design where you place mechs and Ramps and do foam core— picking up used parts to play with is helpful. I’ve bought 3 loads of mechs and parts from @arakissun. It helps a lot to be able to lay stuff out and see what it’s going to look like

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Grab one of the old school HP scanners on eBay for about $100 with the transparent viewing windows. Only issue is stiching the images.. it won’t be 10% accurate so you still have to make adjustments in fusion
    Edit — too late by 20 seconds lol

I've got one and tried to do just this, but the stitching isn't going well. I thought I had it right, but nothing lined up correctly when I printed it back out....

I've been trying to figure out a way to somehow take a blank sheet of paper and sketch the holes onto it, so I could bring it to a print shop and get it scanned in, but havne't gotten a good solution yet

#45 3 years ago

With stitching the more overlap the better, and the closer to parallel the better. I use a straight board I clamp to the playfield then move the scanner along that to keep each column of scan in line. I have marked the board with marks to put the scanner edge at to get the same overlap on all, not necessary but takes some guesswork out. I scan in columns so I only have to move the board twice (3 columns, 5 rows for the classic gottliebs I've done).

Sometimes it works better to do sections at a time, like all the scans in each row stitched, then stitch all the rows together. Oh, and I've had good luck using Microsoft ICE (image composite editor) to stitch as well as photoshop.

#46 3 years ago

3D CAD is great for figuring out if everything will fit where you want it. But it has a somewhat steep learning curve. I was only able to figure it out because I had 4 months where I was out of work.

There's another option, 2D CAD. Essentially it's a vector file that you use to generate your CAM programming for the CNC machine. Basically "cut on this side of the line with this bit."

Even if you are doing it by hand you may want to create this template. VPX may even export something you can use.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
    #47 3 years ago

1. If you want to play with a CNC router and don't have a maker space nearby: https://www.v1engineering.com/specifications/
    2. I don't like a lot of switching power supplies, so I have been working on using Stern transformers with a generic style power supply. If you are buying new, just go with the recommandations from P3.
    3. For a new design, I would use P3-ROC. If you have parts of the setup(like a power system or are using a modified wiring harness, for example), P-ROC may be a better choice. If you are a hard core DIY'er who wants to really get into the guts, OPP, Cobrapin or APC would also work.
    4. Start small. Leave off audio/video until you have it flipping. If you are new to the whole scene, I would even recommend building some test systems with a cheap microcontroller. Once you understand how the simple code works there, you will have a better grasp of what the "real" systems are doing for you in the background. Plus, it feels good to get a flipper and pop bumper working on a piece of MDF. A little confidence boost before jumping into the ocean.
    5. Line up an artist early if you are going to use someone for art resources.
    6. If you can't find a decent cabinet locally, use a flat pack from these guys: https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=78
    7. Have fun!

#48 3 years ago

These are all great tips, thanks!

I've got an old HP scanner and used it to scan my target alpha playfield to make stencils for a complete repaint. The scans were very well overlapped and lined up and my stencils still didn't come out perfect - fortunately, they were all vinyl so I could stretch them a bit. Definitely tricky trying to get a good scan one 8x11 piece at a time.

#49 3 years ago

Does anyone know, if I export a blueprint from Visual Pinball X, is there a way to get it to export to exact size? I tried exporting a playfield this morning. I confirmed the playfield dimensions were 20.5" x 42" in VPX. When I open the blueprint image in photoshop, it opens at roughly 25 5/8 x ~55".

If there's no way to get an accurate export, how are people using VPX to plan and design?

#50 3 years ago

Vpx uses it's own units and exports accordingly.. It is proportionally correct, you just need to scale it to whatever size you want for your use.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homebrew-questions?hl=sicknate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.