Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Sandman454
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    a116213b3827e25c36a940f9b6628f3dd156a20b (resized).jpg
    f69fcb9a26c703d5628b0ea8d47e72672ee42354 (resized).jpg
    84b06800363a2571913a73e8928b25ac0e071e7e (resized).jpg
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

Thanks BorgDog - scaling is accurate? I just tried linearly scaling the blueprint down and keeping the proportions the same. Instead of 20.5 x 42, which it should have been, it ended up 20.5 x 42.999. I had to then manually scale down, which threw the original proportions off.

#52 3 years ago

Make sure there isn't any dead space on that image. There could be extra white-space above and below the playfield drawing in that image. I've only used VP 8 and 9, that scaling was fine

#53 3 years ago

hmm, it has always seemed to work right for me.

#54 3 years ago

Figured out my problem - I was trying with a Bride of Pinbot VPX table and I didn't realize that BoP is a weird WPC table that has different dimensions than the standard WPC dimensions listed in VPX's dimension manager (there's actually a unique entry just for BoP). Exported and scaled based on the actual dimensions and it worked as you said it should.

#55 3 years ago

What I did was use all circle inserts so you can easily use a forstner bit on a drill and I cut my own piece of wood to the exact dimensions of a WPC playfield and I just started screwing stuff to the playfield how I wanted, cnc isn't a requirement

#56 3 years ago

wisefwumyogwave That's my plan too. I'll give it a try and maybe switch to CNC if I get frustrated with my manual attempt.

#57 3 years ago

Agree. Forge a head with the wood working skill set you have. If you need to move to CNC eventually you can do so down the road.

#58 3 years ago

the only thing I did do was take an old stripped playfield I had lying around and use it for laying out the flippers, apron, trough etc. basically just clamp the stripped on top and drill and route using it as a guide

1 year later
    #59 2 years ago

Looks like a lot of good information in this thread. I’m starting on this journey as well with a tribute pinball to a certain pinball maker. To make it easier on myself (I hope) I’m going to use existing ramps and other parts already made. It’s going to be fairly straight forward.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from I_pin_around:

It’s going to be fairly straight forward.

…famous last words of the homebrewer lol

Good luck!

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

…famous last words of the homebrewer lol
    Good luck!

I suppose so. Lol

1 year later
    #62 9 months ago

Hello fellow Homebrewers.
    I am about to purchase some parts and I have a couple of questions.
    Smart drop targets? What do these do? Are they harder to program. Or just go with switch drop targets?
    I am wanting to do a ball locks behind them.
    And opto or switch spinners. Same question. Programming wise which is easier to work with? Or best to use?
    Thanks in advance.

#63 9 months ago

https://missionpinball.org/config/drop_targets/

It would be set up normally, but you would add the knockdown_* configurations.
    I'm not sure how to set it up as a ball device. I'd have to think about it. Someone else probably knows of the top of their head.

For optos versus physical switches, the only difference in most situations is whether the switch is inverted.

#64 9 months ago

Thanks for your reply.

Much appreciated.

Obviously I am near the beginning of the project and was just wondering what was possible and the differences.

Quoted from ThatOneDude:

https://missionpinball.org/config/drop_targets/
    It would be set up normally, but you would add the knockdown_* configurations.
    I'm not sure how to set it up as a ball device. I'd have to think about it. Someone else probably knows of the top of their head.
    For optos versus physical switches, the only difference in most situations is whether the switch is inverted.

#65 9 months ago

Sorry if these are easy questions

But I am seeing targets assembly’s some with diodes and some without on the switches.
    Will the diodes be required?
    Thanks again

#66 9 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman454:

Sorry if these are easy questions
    But I am seeing targets assembly’s some with diodes and some without on the switches.
    Will the diodes be required?
    Thanks again

For systems with direct switches(p3-roc, cobrapin, etc), no. You only need diodes on switch matrices. Just for completeness, in some systems, like the cobrapin, you will have a diode on solenoids. But they serve a different purpose than the ones on switches.

#67 9 months ago

Ok. Thank you.

Quoted from ThatOneDude:

For systems with direct switches(p3-roc, cobrapin, etc), no. You only need diodes on switch matrices. Just for completeness, in some systems, like the cobrapin, you will have a diode on solenoids. But they serve a different purpose than the ones on switches.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homebrew-questions/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.