Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 413 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Mudflaps
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1337 (resized).png
    IMG_1273 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1262 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1239 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1247 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1249 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1248 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1230 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1229 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1235 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1239 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1227 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1220 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1209 (resized).jpeg
    trim.CC53A400-A261-40CF-AA5D-1C4F4D87AAB7.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaddyManD.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Insert placement. The alignment changed a bit from the original layout based on a few factors. The popup target will shift down and right to not block the ramp.
    The cabinet gets here in a few days and the next playfield is ordered. Ramps are out to get welded. The plan is to assemble the cabinet while I wait for the playfield. Once the new playfield gets here, I’ll glue the inserts, clearcoat, and reassemble mechs and stuff. GI and insert lighting will be integrated once it’s all together. Coding and wiring are on hold until those things are finished.
    So, probably another three-ish weeks for everything to come together. I hope to finish and print the translite and cabinet decals soon. [quoted image]

Really looks amazing!!! Have you sourced someone to print your playfield art? That seems most challenging to me as well as ensuring proper cut outs for the light inserts (unless print transparent?)

1 week later
    #88 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Phew. Things are happening. The cabinet showed up today, so that will be several days of sanding, filling and painting. The playfield is done and hopefully inbound soon. That will mean glueing inserts, sanding and then clear. Once the new playfield is dry, I’ll do a playfield swap and transfer all the mechs and stuff.
    In the meanwhile, code is coming along. No modes yet, but the attract mode is pretty good. The game scores, tracks stats and remembers high scores and initials. My son and I have been playing for score, and he keeps beating me.
    A few pictures for fun.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome keep it up bro!

1 week later
    #96 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

A few delays, but working the base mode and messing around with the widgets. Powdercoat is done, I’m super happy with the color. Cabinet art is in photoshop, putting the final touches on the head decals. The actual cabinet is painted but unassembled.
    The magnet and popup target aren’t implemented yet. That’s probably next before coding a mode and multiball.
    Anyway, it’s pretty cool that the game functions normally, has a 13 second ball saver, tracks primary shots for the Super, and shows high scores with initials. Still tons of stuff to do…
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OMG dude this is incredible work! Super excited to receive out homebrew kit next week from Octomodz
    Me and my sons have most of our parts to start drilling that whitewood! Will start a new homebrew thread once I have a little more substance. And we managed to contract a famous pinball artist to work with us on our project…look for a reveal next few weeks!
    Thanks Mudflaps for the inspiration and for sharing your ideas and amazing work!

3 weeks later
    #105 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

“Ma’am, we didn’t find any boy.”
    “But…then he’s still there…”
    [quoted image]

OMG yes, yes, yes!!!!! Dude you knocked it out of the park! looks like a game coming off the line of a manufacturer!

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I was sweating installing the slide rails. You can’t make a whoopsie without ruining the decals.
    Before I drilled, I did a test fit with 3M tape. Total fail, the tape wasn’t strong enough to support the playfield. Command strips to the rescue! They are super strong, easy on, easy off, and easy to reposition.
    I installed the support brackets and hangers to my Stern donor playfield, and after several more rounds of fitting and repositioning, I drilled the new EZ slides in.
    Finishing the backbox today, then decal installation.
    The playfield isn’t perfect, but it’s good enough to install. Commissioned art is still several weeks from completion, so it will be a true whitewood while I continue to test and code.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

great job! thanks for sharing because I am a few months behind you and learning from you!
    So will this be your first playing/testing with fully wired flippers?

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

No, it's been flipping for a while. To me, you can't really get a sense for how the game flows without actually shooting it. I'd describe mine as a hybrid between T2 and Iron Man.
    In order, here's how I tackled everything... not saying this is right, but how I went about it:
    - Bar napkin sketch
    - Outline shots on a WMS playfield
    - Reposition mechs/shots to a Stern playfield
    - Drill everything into a whitewood
    - Power to flippers, slings, pops, kickbacks, magnet, motor, etc.
    - Play!
    - Mess with code
    - After adjustments, align inserts
    - Cut new playfield with inserts and mech holes, then prep and clear
    - Assemble cabinet
    ^^This is where I am now. I haven't started on lights, though I have a box of GI and RGB insert lighting ready for installation. There's so much to do that you never really get bored. Tired of woodwork? Make some wire assemblies! Frustrated with coding? Solder some mechs! Never a dull moment...

so how did you play your first version if you hadn’t built your cab yet? this is where I am now. I want to do basic wiring and flip but you need a cab all grounded right?

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I had a pretty sophisticated setup. The game was on a rotisserie on my weight bench. The launch and flipper buttons were in a cardboard box on a trash can.
    The power supply was grounded, but up to you if you want to wait for a fully grounded cabinet with grounding braid.
    [quoted image]

amazing! thanks so much for sharing. my initial thinking was to shoot it on the rotisserie too but I got worried when I started reading about grounding the cabinet. very helpful!

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

The extra grounding on a cab is mostly precautionary for surges, static from the floor, etc. For initial flipping, testing, it's not that crucial yet. I mean honestly you're over grounding a wooden box that has little, to no ability to carry voltage, or current to begin with. If you use your power supply ground, and have a 3 prong outlet cord, you are about as grounded as you're going to get anyway. 37 years as an electrician, and electronics tech, so I'm not throwing opinions at you.

thank you so much!!! will report back when I am rotisserie flippin’!

1 week later
    #128 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Here it is. No plastics, no art, no toys. Ready for wiring and lights.
    I’ll definitely need another playfield to realign several cutouts that weren’t ideal (the left standup is too far up and I need to adjust the kickback), but I have enough to play test and work code. I have all the toys and I’ll add everything as I go.
    Next is reattaching wires to have a flippable game, then lights, then code, code, code, baby.
    [quoted image]

outstanding!!! an inspiration!

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Molex connectors may be one of the top 3 worst connectors made in the history of electrical components.
    Look at maybe Phoenix connectors, or even wacos over the molex.

Haha I just laughed out loud! We literally just made our first molex connector and I hated it! crimping those tiny connectors made my eyes bug out. felt sloppy even taking my time. then inserted them backwards into the header! Fixed now, but I feel you Mr Bigg!

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Now comes the yucky part. I have a hodge podge of .093 and .062 molex connections of varying lengths that worked great on my weight bench, not so much in a cabinet.
    I’ll have to go through switch by switch and make new connections with the right wire length. All the power supplies and board will remain in the cabinet so I can remove the head without too much trouble.[quoted image]

sorry bro! giant pain in the rear but you will be satisfied and content when you know they are all tight and rocking soon!

#141 12 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

About halfway done. This part is taking way longer than anticipated because I’m essentially re-wiring everything. New connections and labels on everything. I’m hopeful this will make the next swap easier, though. Maybe another week or so before it’s ready to flip. [quoted image][quoted image]

Broski you are killing it! OMG this is insane!!! Dude if my machine isn't ready by TPF 2024 I am going just to see yours!

#147 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Good lord. So, this was a ton of effort. I was essentially doing a playfield swap combined with a complete re-wiring of everything. New connections, new crimps, 48V grounds re-done, switch grounds re-done, new connections at the power supplies, etc. I didn’t add any new switches or lights yet to isolate troubleshooting when the game is ready to play. With all the work, though, adding the next playfield should be a cinch.
    We’re almost there, and I’m ready to add some toys to reward myself.
    I also have a really badass speaker panel on the way I can’t wait to show off!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful work! Looks like it came off the assembly line! Love the wiring (no rats nest!). Good learning for me too that I will likely have to redo lots when I swap the playfield (with it being my first time crimping and wiring etc). Look forward to seeing your speaker panel!

#153 11 months ago

yes!!!! flippin in a cab, with art, with a screen and basic code…killing it!!!!

1 week later
    #160 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

In order:
    1. Plunge to the drops
    [quoted image]
    2. Pamela kickback
    [quoted image]
    3. Left kickback
    [quoted image]
    4. Left orbit to the pops
    [quoted image]
    5. Left ramp to ball hold (flipper will eventually be Jason)
    [quoted image]
    6. Right ramp to ball hold
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Amazing! OMG. That middle ramp to left hold is sick! Looks like a flow monster.

#163 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Happy Mother’s Day, and don’t forget to hug your Mom!
    [quoted image]
    Let’s make some light shows!
    [quoted image]

looks so good!!!!

#166 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Inserts and GI are wired and working. I have a decent attract light show, but I’ll play around with the Light Show Creator.
    Skill shot is coded and working (with some bugs I’ll squash). Next up is combos, supers, weapons and ball saves. Modes and multiballs once I have some experience.
    And watch out for Roy, he looks pissed![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Inserts and GI are wired and working. I have a decent attract light show, but I’ll play around with the Light Show Creator.
    Skill shot is coded and working (with some bugs I’ll squash). Next up is combos, supers, weapons and ball saves. Modes and multiballs once I have some experience.
    And watch out for Roy, he looks pissed![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dude I am losing my mind over here! this is so amazing!!!

#172 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Saturday morning coffee and MPF Monitor. Learning the ropes with this, then lightshow creator. [quoted image]

Love the coffee mig Easter Egg!
    And glad you are positive…I am struggling with MPF at the moment!

3 weeks later
    #179 10 months ago

Looks amazing!!!!! are you using pics or video clips so far? having a hard time finding .wav files for my pin and .mpgs seem to crash MPF

2 weeks later
    #198 9 months ago

Looks amazing! OMG your ideas are giving me new ideas now lol!

2 weeks later
    #206 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Quick update (that's not quick, sorry for the long read)...
    Art: Playfield art is done. Decal on the way to put on top of the third playfield (also on the way). After final testing and fitting, I'll order the fourth and final playfield with direct print art. Translite is with two separate artists... one is kind of a placeholder, the other is more expensive but better established. I also have a custom cut speaker panel.
    Toys & plastics: Toys are still in the box. I have a scroll saw to cut prototype plastics and hope to have them done in the next few days. Then I can fit the toys. I need to finalize the Pamela Voorhees table with the servo motor.
    Music & sounds: Done for the most part. I quickly realized you can't listen to the Friday the 13th theme on loop, so the music is varied. I have some custom tunes on the way for a few modes, as well as some familiar rock tunes from the movies... As I said before, I have six original cast members who provided custom callouts, and I hope to get more.
    Lights: Way behind. I need to spend some time with the mpf lightshow creator to generate better light shows.
    Code: Super, super happy. As it sits now, I could take it to a show and have a fully playable experience. When I started, I saw a few things clearly in my mind.
    - A spinner with the 'ch' sound effect that would lead to pops with the 'ma' sound
    - A High Score screen with the Crispin Glover dance
    - The ability to collect weapons like the spear, sleeping bag and birthday kazoo
    - The player had to be Jason, and each movie was it's own mode
    - The counselors had to fight back, which is why I have kickbacks, magnets, pop up targets and motors
    I've coded five selectable and playable modes (movies) so far with one multiball. After coding the modes, I realized something was missing... the final girl battle. The formula for the movies is pretty much the same... Jason (or Mrs. Voorhees, or Roy, or the slug) wreaks havoc, but they always battle the final girl. So I went back and re-wrote every mode to have a final girl battle, so each mode now has a mini-wizard mode.
    So, when it's done, the plan is to have ten selectable modes (movies), two main multiballs, three mode multiballs, one special multiball (8-Bit Attack based on the video game), a few side quests like Supers and Weapons... and then the final wizard mode with Freddy.
    Anyway, I'm hopeful to have all of that with the final playfield by TPF '24. Here's a small snapshot of the playfield art before the text is added. Much more to come![quoted image]

Great update thanks for sharing! Art is fantastic and can’t wait to see the toys! Sounds like you have made it really far on code! Your continued drive and momentum are contagious!

#210 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yeah, it’s tough to gauge how the colors will look without seeing the art physically on the playfield. It was a choice, however, to not have a dark playfield. I wanted something with fall colors to match the cabinet. If it’s too intense, I can always tone it down.
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback! I’m excited to bring this to a show and hopefully get more feedback. I’m 100% open to constructive criticism.

I think the colors have a dusk type vibe which is exactly when shit is about to go down in the movies! Love the art

2 weeks later
    #230 8 months ago

Translite!? OMG!!!!! Badass!

#232 8 months ago

you might have to mass produce this machine for your fans! and fitting that you are using a Spooky speaker panel…bet they will love this pin!

2 months later
    #282 6 months ago

Kyle you have absolutely crushed it! On every level and with every detail in the art, layout, toys, innovation, theme immersion and even the launch campaign! A true masterpiece.
    And me and the boys appreciate all of the advice and guidance you have shared with us throughout our homebrew build! Can’t wait to play Friday and maybe one day having our pins side by side at a show!

1 month later
    #305 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

^^ Thanks man! I took about a month off after the trailer but I’m back hot and heavy. Part 6 is coded now along with some sweet lightshows. You shoot the ramps to qualify a lightning strike and then hit Jason to bring him to life.
    For Part 7, I’ll do some crazy shit with the magnets while you’re fighting Tina.
    The March deadline is keeping the momentum high. [quoted image][quoted image]

Geesh this looks phenomenal. So impressed with the polish of the code/UI and also the details for the mechs, lighting etc. It's really so well done. It's inspiring me and the boys to do more for sure!

2 weeks later
    #310 4 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yes, 1-3 are Easy, 4-7 are Medium, and 8-10 are Hard. Part 5 is a 2-ball multiball. You don’t need to beat the movies to get to the wizard mode, only play each of them once. Every movie is a timed mode at two minutes.
    If you do beat the movie, you get to the Final Girl mode for that movie. It’s a 60 second mode with ball saver, kind of like Victory Laps from ST. ACNC does something similar when you beat a mode. You’ll have a minute to battle the final girl for big points. If you lose, no points and then back to the game.
    The key to battling Freddy is collecting the 13 weapons early, which gives you powers and upgrades… ball savers, kickbacks, shots for the Supers, etc.
    I’m super excited to show it off at TPF.

OMG my heart is pumping! Need to battle Freddy on this baby!

1 month later
    #329 88 days ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

There are several of us homebrewers in a group you should consider joining if this is a task you want to take on. Most all of us have full time jobs, kids, etc, but you just have to put in some time somewhere to do the thing. You might only get a couple hours a week to work on it, then a half a Saturday at best. These are definitely not short term projects, or something you'll whip up in a month or two. My first took over a year, and I'll probably be about 2 years in on the one I started last August.

yeah cmon we need more homebrewers! and we all have super busy lives outside of it and varying levels of experience from zero to some to alot across the physical elements, electrical, coding, art….these are amazing projects where you will learn and stretch yourself and a community of folks who will help each other suceed!

1 week later
    #338 74 days ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Topside swap almost complete. Ramps are out to powdercoat. A few hardware odds and ends, then software polish. Next update will be a gameplay stream, hopefully late Feb/early March. [quoted image]

insanely good! start the company and get ready to make 500 LEs!? they’d be sold on day 1 you know!?

1 week later
    #351 63 days ago

good call having your final masterpiece for TPF!

2 weeks later
    #384 48 days ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

At long last, here's the gameplay video!
    I worked my way through a few movies, and then did some glass-off gameplay with my rules advisor and co-designer (my son, ha). We took a look at Machete Multiball, Crystal Lake Multiball, 8-Bit Attack and some combos, weapons and other stuff. Unfortunately, the Pamela head (which follows the ball) became disconnected prior to the stream. It's been solid for a year, but that's pinball.
    Hope you guys enjoy, and I'll see you at TPF!

SOOOOOOO great! Congrats Kyle! Masterpiece and life achievement!

1 week later
    #399 38 days ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Huge thanks to everyone for playing the game at TPF and sharing feedback. It was a blast!
    Also, massive respect to the great homebrew games:
    Mechwarrior
    Eight Ball Beyond
    Animal House
    Saw
    Beavis and Butthead
    Swords of Vengeance
    Motörhead
    The passion, ingenuity and quality of the homebrew games was off the charts. I think we’re moving from the shadowy corners of the show closer to center stage.
    I’m going to take a much needed break, and I hope to see everyone at Allentown and Chicago Expo.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Huge congratulations, Kyle!!! Well deserved and so exciting to see so many people get to play and enjoy it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaddyManD.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homebrew-friday-the-13th?tu=DaddyManD and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.