Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 413 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Mudflaps
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1337 (resized).png
    IMG_1273 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1262 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1239 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1247 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1249 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1248 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1230 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1229 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1235 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1239 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1227 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1220 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1209 (resized).jpeg
    trim.CC53A400-A261-40CF-AA5D-1C4F4D87AAB7.gif
    There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I'm late to this thread, but was more fun that way seeing more progress all at once.
    Only piece of advice I have so far is, don't drop your playfield after you've finished painting, clear coating, and partially wiring it! That my friend is a total bummer!!!
    Also I can already see that if this is ready by the next Twippy awards that I am already beat in the homebrew category!
    Really digging your approach, and all the cool ideas you have. Maybe I'll learn some stuff on your journey to help on my journey.

Thanks, yeah I definitely don’t want to drop the playfield. I may rage quit the hobby altogether.

Anyway, one more quick snippet for fun. The plan is to have toys, mechs or art from all 11 movies (minus the reboot) on the playfield or plastics. Here’s a little thingy from Part V that will sit next to… something cool.

CEE363AC-B27F-44F9-9C97-BDDDFBEE932B (resized).jpegCEE363AC-B27F-44F9-9C97-BDDDFBEE932B (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #52 1 year ago
    227DE7C5-DACC-4C63-975F-9C4C20A5DD78.jpeg227DE7C5-DACC-4C63-975F-9C4C20A5DD78.jpegD9528A6C-6F7A-4BB6-810B-140C3734B3BA.gifD9528A6C-6F7A-4BB6-810B-140C3734B3BA.gif
    #53 1 year ago

Man this looks great and love the layout.
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif

fridaythe13th-1.giffridaythe13th-1.gif
    #54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thanks, yeah I definitely don’t want to drop the playfield. I may rage quit the hobby altogether.
    Anyway, one more quick snippet for fun. The plan is to have toys, mechs or art from all 11 movies (minus the reboot) on the playfield or plastics. Here’s a little thingy from Part V that will sit next to… something cool. [quoted image]

I almost mourned myself into quitting my homebrew over that, but I'm nearly back to where I was when I broke the playfield.
    You are really making some great progress, looking really good!

#55 1 year ago

Is that Jason sculpt with the machete going to “chop” balls on the habitrail? Maybe like GOT? It could be a way to stop the ball for modes and similar.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is that Jason sculpt with the machete going to “chop” balls on the habitrail? Maybe like GOT? It could be a way to stop the ball for modes and similar.

Right now it’s just for fun. It’s connected to a flipper mech and chops the ball as it travels the left ramp. I may do something similar like the sword lock in GOT but I just dropped some serious coin on another mech I have to integrate. It’s pretty neat to see it all come together.

2 weeks later
    #57 1 year ago

Behold the rat’s nest of wires!

Quick update today. I’ve spent the past few weeks building wiring harnesses and learning MPF. The flippers, slings, pops, kickback, spinning disk, Jason mech, drop target banks and scoop all work. I still need to integrate the trough, smart drop, popup target and magnet. The game shoots really well but I’ll need to add plastics to prevent those pesky air balls.

I also added another Friday the 13th cast member this week for a total of four now. Hint: three of my callout actors played Jason!

Cabinet ordered and in queue with Paul at VirtuaPin. I have the cabinet art and translite, I’ll just need to size and fit once the cabinet arrives. My playfield artist is making some custom music as well (synth version of the NES game, oh yeah!).

Lights and modes are still a ways off. The goal is to have it on the floor at TPF ‘24.

D4ACF9C5-00FB-41F7-B8E6-1C59F338E4F6 (resized).jpegD4ACF9C5-00FB-41F7-B8E6-1C59F338E4F6 (resized).jpeg
    #58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Behold the rat’s nest of wires!
    Quick update today. I’ve spent the past few weeks building wiring harnesses and learning MPF. The flippers, slings, pops, kickback, spinning disk, Jason mech, drop target banks and scoop all work. I still need to integrate the trough, smart drop, popup target and magnet. The game shoots really well but I’ll need to add plastics to prevent those pesky air balls.
    I also added another Friday the 13th cast member this week for a total of four now. Hint: three of my callout actors played Jason!
    Cabinet ordered and in queue with Paul at VirtuaPin. I have the cabinet art and translite, I’ll just need to size and fit once the cabinet arrives. My playfield artist is making some custom music as well (synth version of the NES game, oh yeah!).
    Lights and modes are still a ways off. The goal is to have it on the floor at TPF ‘24. [quoted image]

Looks great and can't wait to see some flipping action. One of my favorite homebrews on here to follow!

#59 1 year ago

This is a dream theme of a pinball for me. Hope you can shop this with AP possibly, you know Dave Fix, Dennis Nordman.......(inside joke) and get this design bought for a full production run.

Would look awesome next to my Halloween.

#60 1 year ago

On your playfield, now that you have the habitrails on the side. You should mount a small fixture(tank) filled with blue arcrylic and and a Jason figure chained to the bottom. Mount it with a window on the playfield and have it lit up at times underneath.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #61 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

On your playfield, now that you have the habitrails on the side. You should mount a small fixture(tank) filled with blue arcrylic and and a Jason figure chained to the bottom. Mount it with a window on the playfield and have it lit up at times underneath.[quoted image]

I was thinking about that, something similar to the Creature from Monster Bash. Hit a thing, Jason lights up underneath the playfield.

The game is getting pretty crammed, but I may incorporate that if there’s room. I just finished the spinning disk today. What does that represent…?

3B453E9E-4473-44F0-A8C5-1474F72214E2.gif3B453E9E-4473-44F0-A8C5-1474F72214E2.gif
    #62 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I was thinking about that, something similar to the Creature from Monster Bash. Hit a thing, Jason lights up underneath the playfield.
    The game is getting pretty crammed, but I may incorporate that if there’s room. I just finished the spinning disk today. What does that represent…?[quoted image]

What did you use for a spinning disk?

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulbaptiste:

What did you use for a spinning disk?

Tron.

I’m lightly considering moving the disc to the back underneath Pamela Voorhees, but I like the drop targets where they are. I’m also hesitant to make it too much like Tron.

I’ll probably keep everything as-is because it shoots so well, but I’m holding off on getting the next playfield cut while I decide.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Tron.
    I’m lightly considering moving the disc to the back underneath Pamela Voorhees, but I like the drop targets where they are. I’m also hesitant to make it too much like Tron.
    I’ll probably keep everything as-is because shoots so well, but I’m holding off on getting the next playfield cut while I decide.

You’re come so far so quickly. It’s inspiring to watch you work. I thought I had my whitewood’s shots close to being dialed in and then had to change the location of just one ramp…. Now I’m back at the beginning almost. gotta love it!

Keep up the good work!

#65 1 year ago

Layout is almost ready for CNC, just some final touches and adjustments. I moved the popup target lower to account for some of the inserts, adjusted the scoop to hit the middle of the left flipper and shrunk the hockey mask a bit. I’m hopeful to send it off this weekend after a few more minor tweaks.
    F6091FF4-0431-4C05-83CE-CC8185E96CAA (resized).jpegF6091FF4-0431-4C05-83CE-CC8185E96CAA (resized).jpeg

#66 1 year ago

Jason approves!! Watching this thread closely.

20230204_190708 (resized).jpg20230204_190708 (resized).jpg
    #67 1 year ago

Did you ever consider swapping Mrs. Vorhees for a Jason bash toy. Definitely not trying to critique your work, but you can probably do some cool stuff regarding code. Maybe bash jason to qualify modes and or finishing modes. Or possibly as a hurry up to escape jason, we're you need to bash him a certain amount of time. This is assuming your trying to escape crystal lake or playing as jason.

Any who awesome work. Layout looks really neat.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from Meadows22:

Did you ever consider swapping Mrs. Vorhees for a Jason bash toy. Definitely not trying to critique your work, but you can probably do some cool stuff regarding code. Maybe bash jason to qualify modes and or finishing modes. Or possibly as a hurry up to escape jason, we're you need to bash him a certain amount of time. This is assuming your trying to escape crystal lake or playing as jason.
    Any who awesome work. Layout looks really neat.

Great suggestions. I thought a lot about bash toys, and I didn’t want to repeat a Transformers type thing. Meaning, if I’m an autobot, why am I bashing Optimus Prime in the nuts?

So, I do have a Jason bash toy. He’s the pop up target on the right side. Hits are intended to represent lightning bolts to resurrect Jason based on the mode, or he may pop up during 8-Bit Attack.

I have the rules pretty much done (on paper). Nothing implemented yet, but I think it’s going to be a hoot. The ‘AXE’ targets on the right collect weapons to give you abilities throughout the game. You can collect the knife, fire poker, sleeping bag, corkscrew and birthday kazoo!

#69 1 year ago

Insert placement. The alignment changed a bit from the original layout based on a few factors. The popup target will shift down and right to not block the ramp.

The cabinet gets here in a few days and the next playfield is ordered. Ramps are out to get welded. The plan is to assemble the cabinet while I wait for the playfield. Once the new playfield gets here, I’ll glue the inserts, clearcoat, and reassemble mechs and stuff. GI and insert lighting will be integrated once it’s all together. Coding and wiring are on hold until those things are finished.

So, probably another three-ish weeks for everything to come together. I hope to finish and print the translite and cabinet decals soon.

6C17E9D9-382E-405F-AC42-6C18E0DAD7E2 (resized).jpeg6C17E9D9-382E-405F-AC42-6C18E0DAD7E2 (resized).jpeg
    #70 1 year ago

This is looking great nice work! Keep sharing love seeing the progress.

#71 1 year ago

Never saw theses spacers before… I just happen to know a welder!

6DE34646-3D03-406C-9058-7776A2E063BD (resized).jpeg6DE34646-3D03-406C-9058-7776A2E063BD (resized).jpegA0CA6B3D-F87D-4A0D-80F7-A80718246420 (resized).jpegA0CA6B3D-F87D-4A0D-80F7-A80718246420 (resized).jpegBB21D6AA-007D-428E-822A-FE001B65016F (resized).jpegBB21D6AA-007D-428E-822A-FE001B65016F (resized).jpeg

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

Never saw theses spacers before… I just happen to know a welder!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

ZOMG! Thanks, can’t wait!

#73 1 year ago
    546AE4CC-1A2E-41D4-9F89-0D860B821E1F (resized).jpeg546AE4CC-1A2E-41D4-9F89-0D860B821E1F (resized).jpeg
    #74 1 year ago

My dream theme! Great job so far sir!

#75 1 year ago

Do you want me to stone and polish them as well?

1 rail done. The spacers work, but I would narrow the channel and raise the side rails a bit higher. If theses are 3d printed I would adjust them on future projects.

814D83A5-0E02-40E5-9903-9B173FC700D9 (resized).jpeg814D83A5-0E02-40E5-9903-9B173FC700D9 (resized).jpegD8BEC1D5-9EE0-4E25-A632-42D5B0BD183A (resized).jpegD8BEC1D5-9EE0-4E25-A632-42D5B0BD183A (resized).jpeg
    #76 1 year ago

Do you want me to stone and polish them as well?

Yes please

I would narrow the channel and raise the side rails a bit higher. If theses are 3d printed I would adjust them on future projects.

Noted, thanks. I can adjust the hex spacers on my game to accommodate. It’s possible the tension of the wireforms was greater than the bracket and forced them out a bit.

#77 1 year ago

Looks great!

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:Do you want me to stone and polish them as well?
    1 rail done. The spacers work, but I would narrow the channel and raise the side rails a bit higher. If theses are 3d printed I would adjust them on future projects.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Just sent you a pm with question.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Just sent you a pm with question.

Moved mount over and 90% done. It is very easy moved metal, so you should be able to make the needed tweaks on your end. Your rod was very picky to tig weld to the rings from mine. Must be different grade. Looks fine and I will have them ready to ship Monday.

3301A9B8-66B6-4240-B8C1-F19C622730BD (resized).jpeg3301A9B8-66B6-4240-B8C1-F19C622730BD (resized).jpeg6DB2B68B-68FD-4B2C-B54B-362C92A0C574 (resized).jpeg6DB2B68B-68FD-4B2C-B54B-362C92A0C574 (resized).jpeg
    #80 1 year ago

Thanks Jay. I appreciate the help, everything looks great!

#81 1 year ago

Looks fantastic ! Awesome work all around.

#82 1 year ago

Coming along very nicely. I'm really digging the layout.

#83 1 year ago

Hell yeah, new wireforms look great! Can’t wait to see everything today and flipping!

1 week later
    #84 1 year ago

You are not only a pretty good homebrew builder, but a very nice guy as well. Thank you very much for the supports, and I appreciate you very much.
    Your wireways turned out awesome too btw.

20230219_114228 (resized).jpg20230219_114228 (resized).jpg
    #85 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Insert placement. The alignment changed a bit from the original layout based on a few factors. The popup target will shift down and right to not block the ramp.
    The cabinet gets here in a few days and the next playfield is ordered. Ramps are out to get welded. The plan is to assemble the cabinet while I wait for the playfield. Once the new playfield gets here, I’ll glue the inserts, clearcoat, and reassemble mechs and stuff. GI and insert lighting will be integrated once it’s all together. Coding and wiring are on hold until those things are finished.
    So, probably another three-ish weeks for everything to come together. I hope to finish and print the translite and cabinet decals soon. [quoted image]

Really looks amazing!!! Have you sourced someone to print your playfield art? That seems most challenging to me as well as ensuring proper cut outs for the light inserts (unless print transparent?)

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaddyManD:

Really looks amazing!!! Have you sourced someone to print your playfield art? That seems most challenging to me as well as ensuring proper cut outs for the light inserts (unless print transparent?)

I’m working with someone on art. The plan is to hand draw and then vector. As far as transferring to the playfield, there are a few options. My preferred option is a silkscreen, but I’m willing to do a vinyl overlay. There are a few folks out there who can do those options.

I’m still waiting on the cab and playfield, so I’m behind on my estimate. I talked to Paul today, and the cab should be shipped this week. In the meanwhile, I’m learning MPF and burning all of my blu rays for video clips.

The rules are pretty fleshed out and I’m hoping to add two more actors to the callout roster the second week of March. Things are moving, albeit slowly.

1 week later
    #87 1 year ago

Phew. Things are happening. The cabinet showed up today, so that will be several days of sanding, filling and painting. The playfield is done and hopefully inbound soon. That will mean glueing inserts, sanding and then clear. Once the new playfield is dry, I’ll do a playfield swap and transfer all the mechs and stuff.

In the meanwhile, code is coming along. No modes yet, but the attract mode is pretty good. The game scores, tracks stats and remembers high scores and initials. My son and I have been playing for score, and he keeps beating me.

A few pictures for fun.
    07AF7B6F-9390-4532-9B16-F79455742161 (resized).jpeg07AF7B6F-9390-4532-9B16-F79455742161 (resized).jpeg581246A2-A994-4E05-B3E9-F26E845E2D9F (resized).jpeg581246A2-A994-4E05-B3E9-F26E845E2D9F (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Phew. Things are happening. The cabinet showed up today, so that will be several days of sanding, filling and painting. The playfield is done and hopefully inbound soon. That will mean glueing inserts, sanding and then clear. Once the new playfield is dry, I’ll do a playfield swap and transfer all the mechs and stuff.
    In the meanwhile, code is coming along. No modes yet, but the attract mode is pretty good. The game scores, tracks stats and remembers high scores and initials. My son and I have been playing for score, and he keeps beating me.
    A few pictures for fun.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome keep it up bro!

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaddyManD:

Awesome keep it up bro!

You’ll be posting here soon as well!

Mudflaps, everything looks great so far!

#90 1 year ago

A few delays, but working the base mode and messing around with the widgets. Powdercoat is done, I’m super happy with the color. Cabinet art is in photoshop, putting the final touches on the head decals. The actual cabinet is painted but unassembled.

The magnet and popup target aren’t implemented yet. That’s probably next before coding a mode and multiball.

Anyway, it’s pretty cool that the game functions normally, has a 13 second ball saver, tracks primary shots for the Super, and shows high scores with initials. Still tons of stuff to do…

12609B3A-E769-4C25-8FEC-81DCC0C1A274 (resized).jpeg12609B3A-E769-4C25-8FEC-81DCC0C1A274 (resized).jpeg1BE4CCA1-69F1-44F8-B2F1-8B5D9F6B380E (resized).jpeg1BE4CCA1-69F1-44F8-B2F1-8B5D9F6B380E (resized).jpegBC1E1181-0A9F-4FB3-856C-B36A525934B0 (resized).jpegBC1E1181-0A9F-4FB3-856C-B36A525934B0 (resized).jpeg
    #91 1 year ago

Bad A$$ brother man! You are killing it.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

A few delays, but working the base mode and messing around with the widgets. Powdercoat is done, I’m super happy with the color. Cabinet art is in photoshop, putting the final touches on the head decals. The actual cabinet is painted but unassembled.
    The magnet and popup target aren’t implemented yet. That’s probably next before coding a mode and multiball.
    Anyway, it’s pretty cool that the game functions normally, has a 13 second ball saver, tracks primary shots for the Super, and shows high scores with initials. Still tons of stuff to do…

Is there any chance you will bring this machine to the Allentown Pinball Show after it’s completed? I’d love to be able to play a few games.

#93 1 year ago

Wow! Everything looks amazing I cannot wait to see it.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Is there any chance you will bring this machine to the Allentown Pinball Show after it’s completed? I’d love to be able to play a few games.

It won’t be ready for Allentown. The goal right now is TPF ‘24, but if the game has enough in it, I may cart it somewhere local for play testing and feedback.

Cabinet art is done, I’m going to sit on it for a few days to make sure I’m 100% happy, then send it out. The CNC’ed playfield is on the way, lights and powdercoat arrive today. I’ll need to epoxy the inserts and clear before the playfield swap.

So, it’s a hot mess of parts around the house but coming together nicely.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

It won’t be ready for Allentown. The goal right now is TPF ‘24, but if the game has enough in it, I may cart it somewhere local for play testing and feedback.
    Cabinet art is done, I’m going to sit on it for a few days to make sure I’m 100% happy, then send it out. The CNC’ed playfield is on the way, lights and powdercoat arrive today. I’ll need to epoxy the inserts and clear before the playfield swap.
    So, it’s a hot mess of parts around the house but coming together nicely.

Sorry I forgot to say Allentown 2024! Please consider it if you come to the show. Your machine looks amazing!

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

OMG dude this is incredible work! Super excited to receive out homebrew kit next week from Octomodz
    Me and my sons have most of our parts to start drilling that whitewood! Will start a new homebrew thread once I have a little more substance. And we managed to contract a famous pinball artist to work with us on our project…look for a reveal next few weeks!
    Thanks Mudflaps for the inspiration and for sharing your ideas and amazing work!

#97 1 year ago

Pretty sweet work Mr. Mudflaps! I'm impressed

#98 1 year ago

Met Adrienne King and Amy Steel today. Not a big deal.

Anyway, I showed them some progress pictures and they provided another round of callouts. That’s six total cast members now… two final girls, three Jasons and a victim.

“Welcome to Crystal Lake…”
    04100D93-BEB1-4BAC-8809-55EEAFA92151 (resized).jpeg04100D93-BEB1-4BAC-8809-55EEAFA92151 (resized).jpeg

#99 1 year ago

My last update for a while. Playfield arrived today, so the next few weeks will be cabinet assembly, playfield inserts, clearcoat, insert lights and GI, cabinet decals, and pretty much everything physical and mechanical.

I’m hopeful once everything is assembled that I can concentrate on code. All the clips and callouts are ready.

See everyone at TPF!

957C429B-039A-4F8C-8559-5A5A16FA167B (resized).jpeg957C429B-039A-4F8C-8559-5A5A16FA167B (resized).jpeg
    #100 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

My last update for a while. Playfield arrived today, so the next few weeks will be cabinet assembly, playfield inserts, clearcoat, insert lights and GI, cabinet decals, and pretty much everything physical and mechanical.
    I’m hopeful once everything is assembled that I can concentrate on code. All the clips and callouts are ready.
    See everyone at TPF![quoted image]

Heck Yeah! Glad some asshole finally got the cut playfield to you!

There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homebrew-friday-the-13th/page/2?hl=stefanmader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.