2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jabdoa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mbecker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

If you don’t define some parameters you’re going to get a really big range.. from like $1k to $8k..

At the low end — Start with your own ‘board set’ (arduinos or home designed boards, possibly open pinball?) and a 70s style single layer game with builder doing all art, some cab laying around being reused, old computer running mpf or your own python, used mechs, old wire harness, then start adding more costs from there:

Fast/PROC add $700-1000

Multi layers / more mechs add $1000-2000

Pay someone for art: $500-1000?

New mechs instead of used: $500+

Inserts: $50-100

Wire: $500+

New cab: $750-1000

Cab parts: $250-500

Dmd/lcd, speakers, translite , art printed: $300-700

Then if you like to mess around with different parts or like to make fancy stuff or need to buy tools, 3D printer, welder, etc.. add another $2-5k lol

I stopped counting a loooong time ago. For me, at the end of the day, I could have bought a new pinball. But it’s more fun to build.

#5 2 years ago

Seems like some people are hopeful to build a game for less than buying a new one. Sure it can be done by carefully limiting costs and not going too crazy with a design/art/etc. personally I chose to build a theme I was interested in and went all in because I wanted to it keep me interested and playing it for a long time.

One thing I’ve noticed is that there’s been a lot of learning thru trial and error. Lots of parts I bought to test that I won’t end up using, the tool costs.. luckily all software I’ve used has been free so far. I’m hoping that all the learning can go into streamlining the next build.. provided I ever finish this one and still have energy lol

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mbecker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homebrew-costs?tu=Mbecker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.