View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
b01ae9464a5808eb5a1cffb287d3399758651eab_(resized).jpeg
39e8ee082c6827d268aae138e9fc6ed460d11c2f_(resized).jpeg
3f42158aec62ef1651d91f592431d5c32d053cc0_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aladdin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I don't see a thread dedicated to Home Version Pins so I thought I'd start one. This thread should be about any Home Version Pinballs. Mods, Tech Help, WTB, For Sale, Questions, Etc. Pins like, Fireball Home Version, Galaxy Ranger, etc

I just picked up a Home version edition of Captain Fantastic. It's in beautiful condition. The bad is that the game won't boot. I think it's the CPU Chip, but I don't want to spend $$$ getting the replacement chip if that's not the problem. It's a Series II.
So I need advice.

Here's the bad:
The game won't boot and the display is blank.

Here's the good and what I've looked at:
The flippers flip (found out that they are energized all the time)
The GI lights come on and the flashing pop bumper lights do to
The Circuit Breakers seem ok and not open
I've pulled the power supply and gave it a good look over for bad solder, burnt connectors, etc
I've re-seated the CPU Chip and all connectors
Tested the voltage on the main board and both check out 5.9 VDC and 5.09 5+

Thoughts, suggestions? Do I just pull the trigger and get the CPU Chip?
Thanks!

3f42158aec62ef1651d91f592431d5c32d053cc0_(resized).jpeg3f42158aec62ef1651d91f592431d5c32d053cc0_(resized).jpeg

39e8ee082c6827d268aae138e9fc6ed460d11c2f_(resized).jpeg39e8ee082c6827d268aae138e9fc6ed460d11c2f_(resized).jpeg

b01ae9464a5808eb5a1cffb287d3399758651eab_(resized).jpegb01ae9464a5808eb5a1cffb287d3399758651eab_(resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the video! I need to check the Start Button circuit since the Start Button seems to activate the display and computer. There are no batteries on the Home Version that I know of.

#5 7 years ago

I couldn't believe how clean it was when I lifted the PF. No spare parts, dust, wire snips, black tape, dead mice, etc. It looks new. I'm actually surprised at the level of quality that went into this.

#6 7 years ago

Shorted the Start Button (bypassed the switch) nothing

#7 7 years ago

Still messing around with connectors. The display flickered with 1000 then went out- it's not supposed to light up unless you press the start button.

I checked the voltages again at the capacitors on the board and got different voltages
6.1 for VDC and 1.78 for 5+.

Then I reseated the connectors on the head and back it went to 6.3 VDC and 5 on 5+

Still no boot

#8 7 years ago

Here's the capacitors where I check voltage and the display when it flickered

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#9 7 years ago

I'm thinking to reflow the solder on all connectors?

#10 7 years ago

Her's some photos of the boards. The resistor on the power supply looks a little crispy.
The prior owner did replace a transistor

#13 7 years ago

That's a shadow, but that is the one that was replaced.
Different style of transistor. I need to look at a schematic now

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does the reset signal get sent to the CPU? If you short the appropriate pins to fake a reset signal, is there any change?

I need to learn how to do this---

5 months later
#15 7 years ago

Got it to work!!!!
Rebuilt the Bally Power Supply Series II. I only changed out the Resistor and two power regulator transistors on the heat sink. Then I plugged her back in to check (don't fix it if it ain't broke) I haven't replaced the diodes or caps yet.

I bought a Hakko 888D to force myself to get better at board work. MY GOD where have I been? I've been using a 25W iron all my life and wonder why soldering is such a pita.

Special shout out to KenLayton for posting his "how to". stevekulpa for posting photos of the PS on his repair website.
Also to those who are here to help others on Pinside like ForceFlow

Thank you!

3 years later
#18 3 years ago
Quoted from snextime:

Yes this is an old post however it fits my machine. Fireball he pops the GI circuit breaker. Bulbs are all good. Any ideas?

I wouldn't worry about old posts if they are the same topic. Just seeing this. Did you figure it out? If the circuit breaker is popping, you might have a transistor issue like mine did in it's past.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aladdin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-version-pinball-machines?tu=Aladdin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.