IMG_6020 (resized).jpg
IMG_6023 (resized).jpg
IMG_6024 (resized).jpg
als_garage_band_goes_on_a_world_tour-1992-f-1 (resized).jpg
1257f1 (resized).jpg
CIMG1737 (resized).jpg
CIMG1732 (resized).jpg
CIMG1731 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chezarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

One of those finds!

Buddy of mine Jared Guynes was contacted about a Pinball the other day. The Next day was sent photos, and the day after that he went to go see it. Then, the following day we went to go pick it up!

One of those " I can't pass this up " Opportunities, but I always say that to justify a new game purchase ha.

Here you see one of the nicest Hurricanes I have ever ever seen. Has been in a home, and at said home for over 20 years. (They had it first in another state and once they moved to Texas it sat in the house there for over 20 years) The game is so mint it hurts. Besides a few things like the leg marks, and one side is faded.. it's BEAUTIFUL! So stoked! All original! I did have to clean the rubber belt on the ferris wheel as the first one would get stuck when the ball would enter. Just used some alcohol on the rubber belt and on the actual ferris wheel. Need to do this again to keep it from sliding. I do have a replacement belt but I've read on here on how much of a B#$%^ that is to do. Anyways..
The game was upstairs. We had two flights of stairs to choose from (Large House). The first flight we made it halfway but couldn't get it to turn around without damaging the walls or ourselves, so back up we went. We then had to go down a spiral staircase very carefully. Let's just say my arms and legs are still weak. Nonetheless, I couldn't be more happy! Ghostbusters will come soon, I just couldn't pass this up! <-- See I said it again.

What do you guys think, also LEDs or no LEDs... I can't decide.

EDIT: More photos in the comments

15940608_1057982057662139_5639193328091245273_n.jpg15940608_1057982057662139_5639193328091245273_n.jpg
15965276_1057982017662143_6833829895339327590_n.jpg15965276_1057982017662143_6833829895339327590_n.jpg
15966164_1057982004328811_453526126977246326_n.jpg15966164_1057982004328811_453526126977246326_n.jpg
15977383_1057884037671941_1747235054372969345_n.jpg15977383_1057884037671941_1747235054372969345_n.jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Trust me, LEDs. That game is naturally DARK AS F... it NEEDS MORE LIGHT.
Get the good ones that don't strobe, but stick with warm white, as bright as you can get them. An extremely fast well playing Hurricane is pretty fun. I've given up trying to find one...one guy up in Frisco had one but sold it, pretty sure it did not stay local. Was the fastest example of the game I've ever played.

Yeah I'll do the non ghosting probably from Marco specialties if I did do it. The back PF is super dark especially the left side! How long ago did the one in Frisco show up? Still trying to reset the Hi Scores. I have followed everything in the book and it still shows 60Million Hiscore... INSANE.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Calling dibs on the next cheap pin too.

Aren't we all :p

I'll be bringing my Tag Team to TPF. But now I kind of want to bring this instead. Not sure...not sure...

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

What's up with the sticker on the coin door? Were those stickers put on from factory? Good looking game/find.

Thanks! I don't thinks so. They said they wanted the feel of having it in an Arcade. Assume they added it themselves. There were extras in the coin box too.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I vote tasteful LED's. Don't make it look like a clown threw up on it even though there are clowns in it.
Sweet ass looking game. Very cool find.
Congrats!

Lmfao. Yeah I saw one that Todd Tuckey did. I liked it, but a little too much for me. I don't want it to be too "colorful" but be "Colorful" that make any sense? ha

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

If you want to buy a Home use only Comet to go with this let me know.

Would be nice ha I have one though.... How much?!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's obviously not a Home Use Only game - it's got fade all over, it's got that arcade sticker and wear at the coin slots from thousands of quarters (clear as day worn to the metal on the left slot), and of course the telltale dirty fingerprints underneath the cabinet under the coin door from moving, service, and general on-location stuff. Looks like there's wear on that A insert of PALACE as well on the playfield. The game obviously spent some time on location, and that's just from looking at these low-res photos.
Not trying to piss in anybody's cornflakes - it's a nice looking game. But this will save the OP the abuse he's going to get when he tries to advertise it as HUO when he decides to sell it.
I'd skip the LEDs personally but it's a matter of taste.

Hmm you could be right. Just what I was told. I can pull the DSLR out there is hardly any fade. One side of the Cabinet is faded to to it sitting next to a window. Game can fade without being on route. The inside is spotless, the play field is near perfect, I'm not sure by the photos how you can tell it spent some time on location when in fact you can hardly tell its been played in a home for 20+ years lol.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I explained that to you
1) nobody would ever put that sticker on a HUO game. That's an op sticker and didn't come from the factory. Seems unlikely a homeowner would actually go through the trouble of obtaining that sticker and placing it on their brand new, $3,500 (or more if they bought it retail) HUO game.
2) there are dirty finger prints underneath the cabinet - this comes from dirty gloves, dirty hands, and dirty techs, moving and monkneying around with games. You will never see that telltale "dirt zone" underneath the cab at the front that all routed games have on an HUO game.
3) there is CLEARLY coin slot wear - this is wear the paint on the coin door has been worn away from fingers and quarters entering the coin slot. You'd never see this on a HUO game.
4) there is fade on all three sides of your cabinet. One side is completely faded, the other two are slightly faded. Again a pretty sure sign of a route game.
Like I said, I'm just trying to save you the trouble. One day you will put this for sale on pinside as HUO with better pictures and the jackals are going to pounce on you like you are freshly killed carrion.
I can't tell you how many route games I've been sold by homeowners who said "it's home use!" Most of the time these people aren't lying, they just don't know any better. Their dad bought it 20 years ago from a gameroom store and they don't realize it was in a bar at one point, or something like that. That's pinball and all of us who buy and sell games a lot are familiar with this kind of thing.

I hear you! Well good to know, thanks!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Nice, but agree with Levi its not HUO. Had a buddy who had a true huo. It did have fade on one side from sitting next to a window, but no sticker, no wear on the coin slots.
Also, bear in mind that huo does not mean mint. I have a huo pistol poker. Manual is still sealed in the bag and was not told its story until after I paid for it. (Guy bought it from his friend's father who bought it new) Inside is clean, but the cab has scuffs and looks like it was near a wall that was painted as there is paint on the cab that shouldn't be. End of the day, does it really matter? Nope.

Ha right, I mean no telling how these games were treated in a home for years. either way I'm still happy that is all that matters. I'll take some more photos with my dslr.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

On pinballnews.com there was some event about 3to 5 yrs back, where durring the celebration of the new pinball exhibit (some country outside of the USA,possibly Europe) the participants opened up a NIB Hurricane. I can't find it right now, but I was able to pull this flyer that has the orange coin sticker on it.
I'd go with a warm white LED

Oh interesting! Hmm I haven't even looked yet but thats a pretty good flyer photo/scan. I print or purchase the flyers and frame them next to each game. I need to do it for this one now! Thanks for sharing!

Yeah so Warm White Non Ghosting sounds like a good vote, and then color coordinate from there

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Congratulations on the Hurricane! I love this game. It's probably my favorite of the older machines. It's an amusement park under glass. The lights are beautifully integrated into the clown's face and hat. The ramps and sounds are fun. There was a nice example of this game for sale at TPF last year for a reasonable price and I sort of regret not buying it.

Thank you sir! It really is just great. Had to mess with the Ferris Wheels again. More cleaning on those. Ball keeps getting stuck because the belt is slipping.....

I remember playing that one too at TPF, it was nice! I'm sure they'll be another this year! Not mine... Just saying another lol.

#34 7 years ago

I took some updated images with the Camera. I have not cleaned this game one bit other than the playfield. Hurricane

IMG_4543.JPGIMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4548.JPGIMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4549.JPGIMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4550.JPGIMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4551.JPGIMG_4551.JPG

IMG_4552.JPGIMG_4552.JPG

IMG_4553.JPGIMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4554.JPGIMG_4554.JPG

IMG_4556.JPGIMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4558.JPGIMG_4558.JPG

IMG_4559.JPGIMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4562.JPGIMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4564.JPGIMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4565.JPGIMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4566.JPGIMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPGIMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4568.JPGIMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4569.JPGIMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4570.JPGIMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4573.JPGIMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4574.JPGIMG_4574.JPG

IMG_4575.JPGIMG_4575.JPG

IMG_4576.JPGIMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4579.JPGIMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4581.JPGIMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4582.JPGIMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4585.JPGIMG_4585.JPG

IMG_4586.JPGIMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4588.JPGIMG_4588.JPG

IMG_4590.JPGIMG_4590.JPG

IMG_4591.JPGIMG_4591.JPG

IMG_4593.JPGIMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4594.JPGIMG_4594.JPG

IMG_4595.JPGIMG_4595.JPG

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Have you changed the belt? At this age the belt will need to be replaced regardless of overall condition of the game.

No sir. I have a replacement I just want to avoid changing it until I have to...ha. I have been cleaning where the belt hits the ferris wheels with Alcohol, and it's starting to rotate better when the pinball enters.

But yeah, I am sure I just need to suck it up and replace.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Too late dude. That nylon band is almost 30 years old and the only way to fix it is to replace it. You can clean it all you want it's not gonna fix it. It's not slipping because it's dirty, it's slipping because that belt was installed during the G H Bush Administration.
Game looks very nice! If it weren't for the coin slot wear I'd buy the HUO claims.

HAHAH! That was great.

Yeah, wish there was an easier way for such a small fix. Oh well. Suck it up buttercup.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Wow, great looking game

Thank you!

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

The 2 cone bumpers in front of the dunk tank switch are upside down.

Oh! Well, you are correct! Nice catch lol, I shall fix.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Use a large white rubber for Ferris Wheel not the clear, had the same problem. And all Hurricanes are Diamondplate, also pop bumpers do not have lighting.

Oh, interesting any idea off the top of your head what that size was? Will save from playable down time. The pop bumpers work ball was in play sitting, once its plunged out they come on. Should it not be like that?

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from PonchoPinDude:

There is an adjustment for the Ferris wheel belt tightness. See if that works for now as a temporary fix but if it's all the way out you are going to have to change the belt.Most of the upper playfield will need to come off to change it. It was the first thing I had to do when I got my Hurricane.

Oh shoot, where the heck is that? I haven't read about that anywhere. Not even in the Manual unless I just skimmed to fast and missed it. It still works just have to shake the machine a bit for the back wheel to grab on

#52 7 years ago

The 2 screws at the top will adjust the belt. Just loosen the screws and pull down on the pulley wheel next to them and re tighten the screws while holding the wheel. You should be able to tell if the adjustment is maxed out just by looking at it. Notice mine is all the way up with fresh belt installed. Good luck with it! I love mine!

AMAAAAZZZIIIINNNNGGG! You are the MAN! Lol

Will try this tonight. Looking good, how long have you had it?!

#54 7 years ago

I've had mine for ten years now. I am just getting around to the process of converting to LEDs. I've got all the inserts done. Next I have to do the general illumination bulbs. I still have not made up my mind on what route to go with yet.

Wow, that is awesome. Pics of it turned on!

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Here's a minty Hurricane I sold for cheap several years back. I still get grief from my wife and daughter for letting it go....

Nice! What is cheap!? Why did you let it go ha!

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Hell, just wrap it in cardboard and shoot for NIB.

LOL. NIB Never played. Ignore these photos.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Sadly I let it go for $1,100. I needed the space. Keep in mind this was around 2010. Choice B titles (FishTales, T2 and the like) went for ~$1,500, and A titles (AFM, MB) for ~$3,500.
I learned that the buyer flipped it shortly after to a dealer who then sold it for over $3k.

Holy!!!

I do wish I was collecting around then, deals for days!

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Very nice game. Personally I prefer traditional lighting. I have played this game with LEDs installed and must be the strobe effect mentioned as it makes the ball hard to track.
Rock Custom Pinball created an undercab lighting kit for me... here is an older video I took when I installed it.
» YouTube video
Enjoy your new toy !!

True, that undercut lighting is pretty cool!

4 months later
#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinstronomy:

And to answer questions before asked...yes not original..they are cabinet decals

Such a great game!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chezarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-used-williams-hurricane-pinball?tu=chezarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.