Topic poll

“LEDs or NO LEDs....Hmmmmm”

• Do it, Do all the LEDs 26 votes
    72%
  • Don't do it! NO LEDs! 10 votes
    28%

(36 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 62 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170624_190450152_iOS (resized).jpg
20170622_055902426_iOS (resized).jpg
20170607_211659 (resized).jpg
20170607_211154 (resized).jpg
20170607_210901 (resized).jpg
$_20-7 (resized).jpg
IMG_6022 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg
IMG_6020 (resized).jpg
IMG_6023 (resized).jpg
IMG_6024 (resized).jpg
als_garage_band_goes_on_a_world_tour-1992-f-1 (resized).jpg
1257f1 (resized).jpg
CIMG1737 (resized).jpg
CIMG1732 (resized).jpg
CIMG1731 (resized).jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

The 2 screws at the top will adjust the belt. Just loosen the screws and pull down on the pulley wheel next to them and re tighten the screws while holding the wheel. You should be able to tell if the adjustment is maxed out just by looking at it. Notice mine is all the way up with fresh belt installed. Good luck with it! I love mine!

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from PonchoPinDude:

The 2 screws at the top will adjust the belt. Just loosen the screws and pull down on the pulley wheel next to them and re tighten the screws while holding the wheel. You should be able to tell if the adjustment is maxed out just by looking at it. Notice mine is all the way up with fresh belt installed. Good luck with it! I love mine!

AMAAAAZZZIIIINNNNGGG! You are the MAN! Lol

Will try this tonight. Looking good, how long have you had it?!

#53 2 years ago

I've had mine for ten years now. I am just getting around to the process of converting to LEDs. I've got all the inserts done. Next I have to do the general illumination bulbs. I still have not made up my mind on what route to go with yet.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from PonchoPinDude:

I've had mine for ten years now. I am just getting around to the process of converting to LEDs. I've got all the inserts done. Next I have to do the general illumination bulbs. I still have not made up my mind on what route to go with yet.

Wow, that is awesome. Pics of it turned on!

#55 2 years ago

These are the before led pics. I don't have any with LEDs yet. I will post some in near future.

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#56 2 years ago

Here's a minty Hurricane I sold for cheap several years back. I still get grief from my wife and daughter for letting it go....

CIMG1726 (resized).jpg

CIMG1730 (resized).jpg

CIMG1729 (resized).jpg

CIMG1731 (resized).jpg

CIMG1732 (resized).jpg

CIMG1737 (resized).jpg

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Here's a minty Hurricane I sold for cheap several years back. I still get grief from my wife and daughter for letting it go....

Now that's nice.... beautiful colors on the cabinet....

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Nice! What is cheap!? Why did you let it go ha!

#59 2 years ago

Wow that Hurricane was minty! I wish mine didn't have the cabinet fade.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Sweet. Obviously very lightly routed.
Do a nice job of painting coin door slot wear and stick with HUO.

Hell, just wrap it in cardboard and shoot for NIB.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Hell, just wrap it in cardboard and shoot for NIB.

LOL. NIB Never played. Ignore these photos.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from ChezArcade:

Nice! What is cheap!? Why did you let it go ha!

Sadly I let it go for $1,100. I needed the space. Keep in mind this was around 2010. Choice B titles (FishTales, T2 and the like) went for ~$1,500, and A titles (AFM, MB) for ~$3,500.

I learned that the buyer flipped it shortly after to a dealer who then sold it for over $3k.

#63 2 years ago

Good fortune to whomever bought the game, as it looked to be in very good shape.

For "pincation" (pinball education) and something to understand:

"No pinball title that is proper 'HUO' (or equivalency) ever has had token or pricing decals attached to coin doors at the BLY/WMS factory."
- TBK

These are applied by operators, and are not "options" but often were sometimes included in the token/coin mech packs.
At best case the game was either lightly routed pulled and sold, or in an unlikely case prepped for route and then later resold for private use. It is extremely unlikely a coin door was switched out in its lifetime.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Good fortune to whomever bought the game, as it looked to be in very good shape.
For "pincation" (pinball education) and something to understand:
"No pinball title that is proper 'HUO' (or equivalency) ever has had token or pricing decals attached to coin doors at the BLY/WMS factory."
- TBK
These are applied by operators, and are not "options" but often were sometimes included in the token/coin mech packs.
At best case the game was either lightly routed pulled and sold, or in an unlikely case prepped for route and then later resold for private use. It is extremely unlikely a coin door was switched out in its lifetime.

Not saying you are wrong, but the sticker was applied to at least one factory game as shown on the flyer.

1257f1 (resized).jpg

#65 2 years ago

Pinball flyers many times do not represent factory games from manufacturers. This is not an anomaly. Flyers proceed most production games out of need to prep for sales.

If enthusiasts look closely in most game flyers, you will see that the games are prototypes/samples, and exclude/include features that were added or removed.

Included is an example game. If a person knows the game they will recognize this is a prototype. There are many differences.

als_garage_band_goes_on_a_world_tour-1992-f-1 (resized).jpg

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Sadly I let it go for $1,100. I needed the space. Keep in mind this was around 2010. Choice B titles (FishTales, T2 and the like) went for ~$1,500, and A titles (AFM, MB) for ~$3,500.
I learned that the buyer flipped it shortly after to a dealer who then sold it for over $3k.

Holy!!!

I do wish I was collecting around then, deals for days!

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from ChezArcade:

Holy!!!
I do wish I was collecting around then, deals for days!

Trust me, you just would have been bitching about MMs costing $6,000 like everybody else was.

And MB was never a $3500 game (was always more like 6000), at least not since I started in 2002.

He's right about AFM though. I always wondered why it was so much cheaper than MM and wondered when everybody else was gonna figure that out. Didn't take long.

#68 2 years ago

This one had no sticker. But it was an export.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-hurricane#post-2622246

I suppose we will really never know the truth, as it is lost in time...that picture on the flyer strongly suggests to me that some HUO games of the era might have come that way.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Pinball flyers many times do not represent factory games from manufacturers. This is not an anomaly. Flyers proceed most production games out of need to prep for sales.
If enthusiasts look closely in most game flyers, you will see that the games are prototypes/samples, and exclude/include features that were added or removed.
Included is an example game. If a person knows the game they will recognize this is a prototype. There are many differences.

I am well aware of the many differences between prototype games and production games on flyers, but those are playfield, backglass or cabinet paint scheme differences. I doubt anyone took out the stickers and put them on the game shown on the flyer just for the photo shoot.
I'm guessing some collectors bought NIB Hurricanes and took photos of the box opening. Anyone?
Not a big deal but I love the historical part of the hobby and always try to verify things when they pop up.

#70 2 years ago

no longer have my hurricane
have a nos tranlight and spinning disk. anyone in need?

#71 2 years ago

I am sure that a few owners have NIB photos. Hurricane had a small overstock closeout which generated some additional private sales. This was right before the 90s "bounceback" revival. I don't recall setting one up as a senior technician during that time as new sales were slow.

#72 2 years ago

Very nice game. Personally I prefer traditional lighting. I have played this game with LEDs installed and must be the strobe effect mentioned as it makes the ball hard to track.

Rock Custom Pinball created an undercab lighting kit for me... here is an older video I took when I installed it.

Enjoy your new toy !!

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Very nice game. Personally I prefer traditional lighting. I have played this game with LEDs installed and must be the strobe effect mentioned as it makes the ball hard to track.
Rock Custom Pinball created an undercab lighting kit for me... here is an older video I took when I installed it.
ยป YouTube video
Enjoy your new toy !!

True, that undercut lighting is pretty cool!

3 months later
#74 2 years ago

I just bought my first used pin yesterday; Hurricane! By chance do any of you have any other Hurricane parts I can purchase, especially the ramps? Do you know anyone who might have parts?
Erick

2 weeks later
#75 2 years ago
Quoted from GorfFan:

I just bought my first used pin yesterday; Hurricane! By chance do any of you have any other Hurricane parts I can purchase, especially the ramps? Do you know anyone who might have parts?
Erick

Congrats man great game..Hurricane was my first ever pinball, sold it years ago..just purchased another few days ago..will be here soon

IMG_6024 (resized).jpg
IMG_6023 (resized).jpg
IMG_6020 (resized).jpg
IMG_6021 (resized).jpg
IMG_6022 (resized).jpg

$_20-7 (resized).jpg

#76 2 years ago

And to answer questions before asked...yes not original..they are cabinet decals

1 week later
#77 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstronomy:

And to answer questions before asked...yes not original..they are cabinet decals

Such a great game!!

#78 2 years ago

definitely has that "just one more game" factor that will keep me up for hours...

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from ChezArcade:

Such a great game!!

Yeah Chez im never selling mine kids wont let me!

#80 2 years ago

I picked up a Hurricane back in the late 90s from an operator I dealt with, but after a few years I traded it off to a local dealer for a Monster Bash (NIB) when it first came out.

My Hurricane was a routed game but was still in overall excellent shape. The only real problem was some of the boards were slightly hacked and the spinning disc in the back box was warped. The game played perfectly but I figured the hacked boards would eventually come back to haunt me (I was still relatively new to the hobby at the time and board fixes worried me).

The trade worked out fine because the MB is certainly worth more than I paid for it, although I don't buy games as an investments for obvious reasons.

Still - I have a soft spot for Hurricane. It was from that era of games before modes took over everything and you could just plunge the ball, make shots to do things and have some fun without thinking about things too much.

#81 2 years ago

Out with the old..in with the new!

20170607_210901 (resized).jpg

20170607_211154 (resized).jpg

20170607_211659 (resized).jpg

#82 2 years ago

Where'd you get the plastics?

2 weeks later
#84 2 years ago

Here's a quick sample of what it looks like with LEDs. Mostly color matched except I put purple blue green yellow orange red under P A L A C E, and color changers under mystery and Comet million 44s. My pop bumpers were also lit so I put red white and blue bulbs under corresponding pop tops.

20170622_055902426_iOS (resized).jpg
20170624_190450152_iOS (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#85 2 years ago

And if your Hurricane disc is warped from excessive heat, order this:

amazon.com link »

And order a sticker which for some reason are widely available. This disc is thick enough to stay very straight, yet lighter than the original disc. This disk is 16 inches in diameter, same as the original disc, and 1/8" thick.

Use your warped disc as a template for the three holes, or use the sticker and draw the holes onto the disc. Drill them with a countersink bit or use two straight bits so you can use flat head screws to countersink them - the pan head screws originally used in the game have the potential to protrude into the translite.

Also replace the backbox lights with LED lights so it never warps again.

Edit: there probably should be a Hurricane thread, or maybe a Comet/Cyclone/Hurricane thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 28.00
2,499 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Kearsley , MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Columbus, OH
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside