1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I'd like to get some opinions (scary, I know) on setting tilts on their pins at home? Do you set them, how sensitive do you set them if so? Take em out and enjoy the pin because you aren't planning on, getting too aggressive with them? Thoughts, opinions?

#2 1 year ago

Tilt always on, usually set it to 2 warnings.

#3 1 year ago

I set the tilts fairly tight to simulate how they are set in most tourneys.

#4 1 year ago

Let’s just say I can get away with more in serious tournaments than I can at my house. Haha.

They are as tight as I can make them, but fair.

#5 1 year ago

I have mine set fairly tight.

Although I may loosen the one on the TWD I just picked up as I’ve never tilted so much on a game in my life

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I have mine set fairly tight.
    Although I may loosen the one on the TWD I just picked up as I’ve never tilted so much on a game in my life

The TWD I used to have is lucky I didn’t put it in a wood chipper the first couple weeks I had it. Haha

#7 1 year ago

I think I have mine set correctly, I am trying to break some bad habits of involuntary movement of the machine sort of leaning on it and flipping

for competition play I had lost a LOT of games that way

I can make a movement to get the ball out of danger with a nudge but if I shift the machine to hard it will tilt

#8 1 year ago

I turn warnings off and set them tight enough that any shove tilts.

#9 1 year ago

I have them removed.

#10 1 year ago

I set mine easy (bulbs lowered and 10x tilt warnings) but I have a bunch of kids and inexperienced adults playing my games.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

The TWD I used to have is lucky I didn’t put it in a wood chipper the first couple weeks I had it. Haha

Wood chipper? Hmmm now there’s an idea

It is an awesome game but wow can it get you angry fast, when your misses has to pull you off your pin before you give it a kicking, you know there’s a love hate relationship there

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballology:

Thoughts, opinions?

Really i would say it's whatever makes you happy. You want to take it out and slide the thig across the ground go right ahead; it's still makes more sense then playing 5 ball games.
    If you're really trying to teach yourself a lesson and clamping them down hard core that's cool too. If you set them so hard you cant even move the machine it's just dumb and you have to sit there and just flip buttons...even tournaments like that are lame (DMD era).
    I do keep my Flash Gordon very tight though.

#13 1 year ago

My modern games, system 11 and on, are set pretty tight. Solid States are set more liberally so you can play them.

#14 1 year ago

Im probably about middle of the road. I set mine about mid level you can nudge fairly decent. But don't get too crazy.

#15 1 year ago

Tilts are low, warnings left as-is.

#16 1 year ago

I set to where you can lightly nudge and a strong slap save will give you a warning but pushing will give you a tilt. Not sure if thats tight or not, I’ve certainly played tighter but also have gotten complaints about it... to which I tell them play better.

I can’t stand it when it’s so loose people are practically throwing the machine around trying to save their ball.... sorry but when your game interferes with my game next to you because you have the need to slam the game so hard it slides a foot over... you are a sucky player.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from kuelman:

Im probably about middle of the road. I set mine about mid level you can nudge fairly decent. But don't get too crazy.

That's how I describe mine as well. I used to have them removed, but have some family that shove the games far too much. I really don't want anyone getting a hand smashed between games.

#18 1 year ago

Great advice from everyone. It’s much appreciated. I currently have mine out of every game in my collection as I’m really trying to learn the game. With that being said though. I’m not a “hard nudger”, rarely to I give the machine any type of bump, and I rarely slap the flipper buttons. At this point I’m focusing on hitting what I need to hit (learning the gameplay), and controlling the ball.

I think I’ll set the tilts on a few of my games so that it simulates a realistic tournament and leave the others out and see how my gameplay turns out.

Another question, are all tilt wires and mechs created equally? I have one game in particular that is missing their wire and I was hoping to pick up one from Marcos. Let me know. Thanks for all the great advice!

CC_Rider

#19 1 year ago

Tilts are as per what they would be like in an arcade. I don't change the game rules to make it easier, as to me that would just mean any score I get is artificial, so I similarly don't know why people would make tilts easier either (small children playing notwithstanding).

#20 1 year ago

There's only been a couple of friends that "think" bouncing my games off the wall is "okay" since they don't have to feed the coinbox. Needless to say, they don't get invited back. I figure setting the tilts on the tight side keeps that "thinking" from getting out of hand. It doesn't matter much to me since I'm not a rough player.

#21 1 year ago

I set my tilts so I can get away with one decent move. My outlanes are open all the way. I haven't pulled the rubbers off the posts yet though. I've been thinking about that, but my friends might not want to come over and play anymore if I do.

#22 1 year ago

I don't adjust my tilts. I leave them where they were when I bought them. I have some machines you can rock pretty good, and others that are kind of pricky. I almost never tilt my machines no matter how tight they're set.

I say, do whatever you want.

#23 1 year ago

I remove the tilts on my older games but not Stern games. Mostly because the older games have more issues with balls getting caught somewhere and game needing movement to free them.

#24 1 year ago

I use my pins for my own pleasure!! Since I'm a older pinhead,I play 5 balls,and I've removed the tilts!The 3 ball do-or-die ideology is fine when your trying to make money on route! And,you also don't want your investment damaged either,ergo,tilts=$! OK,so when I play my pins its the way I want to play!! Tournaments are fun,but not my thing!You do it your way,me,mine

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from kuelman:

Same here, mine are just loose enough where you can have fun playing at home with a few beers to try and get a miracle save, but you'll still get punished for getting TOO greedy.

#26 1 year ago

I set it differently game to game. I believe each game has a different level of nudging that should be appropriate. Not every game has the same rule set or layout, not every game should have the same level of tilt strictness either.

PAPA provides a list of recommended game setups for tournaments that frequently mentions tilt tightness, and I think their tilt recommendations are generally great: https://papa.org/learning-center/directors-guide/

Game Notes on that page.

#27 1 year ago

No tilt bob for the first 6 months I owned pins, as loose as possible now.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I set it differently game to game. I believe each game has a different level of nudging that should be appropriate

I agree with him.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinballology:

I currently have mine out of every game in my collection as I’m really trying to learn the game.

You aint gonna learn much that way.

Tilt is one of the most important functions in a game. I set mine tight so no shake happy player gets an advantage during competition. Especially when there's money involved.

I do it by feel. If I tilt more than once in a game after I set it up, I loosen it just a tad until I hit that happy medium.

#30 1 year ago

I don't know...it takes a pretty strong earthquake to tilt a home.

#31 1 year ago

As a rule, the tilt bob stays in the game and is set to a reasonable senestivity. I always replace missing tilt bobs when I get a new game. How come that part is always missing in games for sale???? Anyway, having it removed seems like you are only cheating yourself. It is almost as bad as adding a post in the flipper drain which was done on my Bride of Pinbot by a previous owner. I could of killed him when he told me that. The guy was so proud of his accomplishment. He honestly thought he added value to the game by adding that darn post.

#32 1 year ago

No offence to anyone...

When I play a game, any game, I want to know that my score, achievements, etc are valid. That means I don't play stuff on "easy", I don't turn off tilts or make them less sensitive than they would be "normally", I don't change ball saver feature/timers from default, etc. I play games as the makers intended.

For example, on TZ, I quite often lose balls down the left off the pops. Frustrating, yes, but luck is a valid part of the game for me - even when it goes against you.

The only concession I'd be happy to make is where young children are playing.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

No offence to anyone...
    When I play a game, any game, I want to know that my score, achievements, etc are valid. That means I don't play stuff on "easy", I don't turn off tilts or make them less sensitive than they would be "normally", I don't change ball saver feature/timers from default, etc. I play games as the makers intended.

Understood. However, with tilts there is no factory setting. The tilt warning count might have a factory setting in the software.

New games are shipped with the tilt bob needing to be attached to the pendulum rod. Where it gets set is completely up to the user. And even if the tilt bob is installed from factory or a previous owner, its position relative to the ring will change based on the side to side levelness and how shallow or steep the pitch is at the new location.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Understood. However, with tilts there is no factory setting. The tilt warning count might have a factory setting in the software.
    New games are shipped with the tilt bob needing to be attached to the pendulum rod. Where it gets set is completely up to the user. And even if the tilt bob is installed from factory or a previous owner, its position relative to the ring will change based on the side to side levelness and how shallow or steep the pitch is at the new location.

True.

I just had a look through the TZ manual and it talks about the tilt bob assembly but as far as I can tell doesn't say how it should be set (unlike the pitch). You're right that pitch and level will affect sensitivity, and that this would mean no two games were necessarily precisely the same. TZ does have "number of tilts before ball loss" setting though, I presume most (all?) pins do?

There is certainly a "suck it and see" element to it, I configure my stuff to respond in the same way as I'm used to whenever I've played a pins elsewhere. I think I have a fairly good handle on what amount of movement ought to register as a tilt, and would do in an arcade, etc.

Wasn't meant as any kind of criticism of anyone really as everyone enjoys things differently.

#35 1 year ago

as said above already, sensitive tilt, as in tournament

and its not linked with "having fun or not", as in some case, when we're playing on pinballs with a friendly tilt, of course we're using all our (authorized) tricks to keep the ball in play... its logical lol ! and in this case, not really funny for the owner/guy playing with us, but not being on same level

#36 1 year ago

For modern machines, tournament standards or you're just playing for fun.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

For modern machines, tournament standards or you're just playing for fun.

And we can't have that!

I think it's interesting that people are acting liek tournaments are all the same....nothing further from the truth.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

For example, on TZ, I quite often lose balls down the left off the pops. Frustrating, yes, but luck is a valid part of the game for me - even when it goes against you.
    The only concession I'd be happy to make is where young children are playing.

luck favors the skilled in my experience. (Generally always in my opponents favor ) Proper nudging skills are part of the game as well.

Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I set it differently game to game. I believe each game has a different level of nudging that should be appropriate. Not every game has the same rule set or layout, not every game should have the same level of tilt strictness either.
    PAPA provides a list of recommended game setups for tournaments that frequently mentions tilt tightness, and I think their tilt recommendations are generally great: https://papa.org/learning-center/directors-guide/
    Game Notes on that page.

Some great insight about adjusting the game so it is balanced between those more skilled aiming & those more skilled at recovering.

#39 1 year ago

Can agree with removing slam tilts but the standard tilt? No. If nudging is all part of the gameplay then you need some way of regulating it otherwise you don't develop any skills.

No tilt = cheating IMO, might as well just throw the ball around with your hands.

#40 1 year ago

My games either have the plum bob tilt removed or set as liberal as possible .

We police each other and will yell among ourselves if the "Nudging " gets out of hand.

pinball should be fun.

Tight Tilts Suck !

Ride or Die !

#41 1 year ago

My theory is tilts were put in to stop machines being abused on site. I dont think there's any harm in not having them installed at home. My friends and family aren't big pinballers and there's nothing worse than them tilting it just because they're over excited, but with the new pirates pin I think the tilt should stay in because it's an intergal part of the game to stop you overdoing the out lane gaps. At the end of the day it's your pinball do what you want and have fun

#42 1 year ago

I try to go for middle-of-the-road on my tilt settings. Same with the outlanes. I want to be able to nudge a little, but still get punished for too many or too big of a hit. I have purchased games with no tilt bob and soon as my friends figure it out, they are throwing the game all over the freakin' place. So no way would I run with no bob.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

"suck it and see"

That is classic!

#44 1 year ago

While you're adjusting your tilt bob sensitivity for home use, I also recommend a couple other tweaks:
    - make sure your tilt bob is centered in the ring.
    - especially on older games, make sure your bob and ring are cleaned (grimy, dirty tilt bobs or rings won't register as consistently when physical contact is made to close the circuit).
    - disable your Slam Tilt switch(es)

#45 1 year ago

I go with tight tilts. A nudge probably won't trigger, but any sort of aggressive move will easily get a danger, usually a double danger. A few nudges in succession will give a danger as well. Everything is set to two warnings per ball, aside from EMs, obviously.

#46 1 year ago

On warnings...the only thing i have ever changed in software regarding tilt warning is shutting off the tilt warning carry over in DI. Because FU.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.95
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 27.99
    Playfield - Protection
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside