Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LEE400
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

huoballs.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I have a question relating to the term "HUO". It is my understanding that Home Use Only means just that and even if it was in an arcade or available for "public play" for even a day, it is not truly a "HUO" game anymore.

Would that include taking that machine to Pinball Shows or Expos to be set on free play for the weekend where it is played at will by the public? Does that erase the pedigree of "HUO"?

Curious for the opinions on that.

#2 10 years ago

Condition is king. And yes, any public play outside of friends in the house removes the O part of HUO. But everybody lies.

#3 10 years ago

HUO = Home Use Only.

Meaning the game has been inside a home all its life. Never been routed. The games can still be very beat up though, you just never know how people take care of things.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from LEE400:

Would that include taking that machine to Pinball Shows or Expos to be set on free play for the weekend where it is played at will by the public? Does that erase the pedigree of "HUO"?

I would not think so.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from LEE400:

Would taking a machine to Pinball Shows or Expos to be set on free play for the weekend where it is played at will by the public erase the pedigree of "HUO"?

Quoted from DaveH:

Yes. Any public play removes the O part of HUO.

Quoted from Jgel:

I would not think so.

Right there are two answers with differing viewpoints. But to remain literally HUO, if taken to a show the machine must be on display only and not available for anyone to play.

I have purchased games which had been routed for three years or less, and they cleaned up very well. I have purchased games NIB (which became HUO in my game room). I purchased my AFM from a close friend who had purchased it after it had been routed for several years and cleaned it up pretty well but the cabinet decals are faded (I have a new set that I need to install but I keep putting off what I am sure is a long and tedious job). But I have never purchased a HUO machine. And I have never sold a machine (and never plan to).

#6 10 years ago

Oh no...not this again. sry, just had to say it. Let the games begin!
    No disrespect to the op's..legitimate question.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Right there are two answers with differing viewpoints. But to remain literally HUO, if taken to a show the machine must be on display only and not available for anyone to play.

Then you can't say it was show tested for reliability and it isn't worth as much.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from LEE400:

Pedrigree goes away as soon as those smelly mofos start dripping sweat, drooling, spilling beer, and putting excessive wear around the flipper buttons on your machine.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Then you can't say it was show tested for reliability and it isn't worth as much.

Well played sir.

#10 10 years ago

You should ask how long it's been HUO, because if its a machine other than stern or jjp, odds are here's a time it was routed.

#11 10 years ago

Just give and ask for concrete examples of condition.

Who cares where a pin has been or who has played it. It could have been routed on the moon and played by aliens. Yet still be nicer than granny's HUO TSPP that she let the grand kids play till it fell apart.

#12 10 years ago

HUO is only used as an indication of condition. To me ... it typically only means the game was never routed. If it went to a show for a day or two, then so what. Again, actual condition is what ultimately matters. I don't care if your game is HUO if it still has dings in the caibinet and has 10,000 plays on it in just a couple of years. The value is based on condition ... not whether you can legitimately claim HUO or not.

#13 10 years ago

These are the balls out of a HUO machine (per the Pinsider it came from) that I've been working on. Amazing that there is no (visible) playfield wear. Just other hidden rust, board issues, etc.

HUO doesn't mean squat. And while we're at it, no pinball machine is 'mint' either.

huoballs.jpghuoballs.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a secret agenda here, I just wanted the opinion of those knowledgeable. I have been to shows with machines on the floor (which I had seen previous years at the same show) that are now for sale that say "Home Use Only". I never thought much about it, but decided to find ask. It seems that the consensus is HUO is just that, no gray area. While a few people stated that it is just a description of condition, most feel that it should mean what it says.

#15 10 years ago

Wow PinballX, I guess that sums it up as far as a use for description only! lol

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

These are the balls out of a HUO machine (per the Pinsider it came from) that I've been working on. Amazing that there is no (visible) playfield wear. Just other hidden rust, board issues, etc.
    HUO doesn't mean squat. And while we're at it, no pinball machine is 'mint' either.

huoballs.jpg 83 KB

hmmm...

#17 10 years ago

I don't even bother looking at HUO ads. HUO means the seller is probably expecting a lot more than I am willing to pay.

#18 10 years ago

Kind of like "Highway Miles" I guess.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-use-only-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.