Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

peewee.jpg
    broke.jpg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

we will no longer use the "HUO" Home Use Only acronym in the condition notes of sold machines in the database of PinballPrice.com

everybody claims to have a HUO machine, and very few actually are. It is very difficult to prove, unless the seller has the original bill of sale where "they" actually purchased the game new.

from now on, we will use the word "excellent" in the condition notes of any games in "Near Mint Condition, Very Little Use, No Wear". This will include the games previously shown as HUO providing the meet the criteria just mentioned.

this should have been done from the start, and it may take a little while to go back and locate all the HUO games in the database, but they will be edited when located. So when you submit sales records in the future, please do not use the HUO term.

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

I am concerned if it has been routed or not.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrkitty:

It is very difficult to prove, unless the seller has the original bill of sale where "they" actually purchased the game new.

The original bill of sale proves nothing as well...

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

The original bill of sale proves nothing as well...

Exactly

#5 10 years ago

Who are you to tell people that their pin is not HUO? You have a crystal ball . better look at it again.

broke.jpgbroke.jpg

Beware to those who just bought a nib for their house, and want to sell it later down the road..you can't claim HUO because

Quoted from jrkitty: very few actually are.

#6 10 years ago

I see where this is going

#7 10 years ago

If you're the original buyer or know the original buyer, that's different. I bought and paid a premium for a HUO Firepower that isn't. That wasn't the first time.

#8 10 years ago

There area lot of people buying brand new sterns / wos . That is not, "very few actually are "
    To paint all those buying NIB's with a stroke of his brush..is my objection. More and more people are buying new for their home...it's not right to discard this fact so easily.

#9 10 years ago

Easy way to fix all the problems, HUO ads will be deleted without proof of purchase. Done.

#10 10 years ago

If you don't like HUO, how about "HOOT", as in "Home Only Owner, True" then?

I still have all the games I bought NIB, though I have no idea where the sales receipts are (and don't really give a hoot either)

#11 10 years ago

It's a ridiculously stupid term anyways, games are either in really good shape or they're not. Whether they sat unplayed on location at a VA hall (true story for a pin I was trying to buy) or in someone's home arcade that got constant play at parties by drunk friends it's what they look like that counts.

Just retire it already, condition is king.

#12 10 years ago

Mint and near mint mean nothing, these are pinball machines not coins and this term shouldn't be used either.

#13 10 years ago

Yeah I have a minty HUO rare machine and that warrants my extremely high price. LOL. This hobby is brutal! Dog eat dog world.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

condition is king

This.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Mint and near mint mean nothing,

Minty fresh?

#16 10 years ago

I do know there have been games listed as HUO when the seller has no proof (or reason) to make such a claim. I sold a game to someone and know it had at least 2 owners before me. I was never told it was HUO. I never told the person I sold it to that it was HUO. Yet I see they did list it as a HUO machine when they went to sell it. It may have been HUO, but I personally wouldn't claim that...unless I knew or was told and believed that.I can see mentioning that it's HUO if you know it's HUO, but I don't see any reason to make that claim if you don't know.

As they say, condition is king, but yet you still have folks that take so much stock in how many plays are on the games play count (which can easily be reset) and prefer the goodie bag being wadded up in the bottom of the cabinet instead of being kept in a nice flat binder. Much of this has nothing to do with the condition of what they are buying / selling and all about being able to brag about how "new" a game is.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

If you're the original buyer or know the original buyer, that's different. I bought and paid a premium for a HUO Firepower that isn't. That wasn't the first time.

HUO can also mean Heavily Used and Operated.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's a ridiculously stupid term anyways, games are either in really good shape or they're not.

Totally disagree... the 'HUO' term has its place in this hobby but people just have to know when to use it and when not to use it. To many use it when they shouldn't.

I know the term has nothing to do with condition but to me (and many others) it has EVERYTHING to do with condition! I will never use the term unless the pin looks like it just came out of the box yesterday. To me that is the ONLY time the term should ever be used... pretty much flawless, low play and new like condition inside and out with a shooter lane that glistens.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Totally disagree... the 'HUO' term has its place in this hobby but people just have to know when to use it and when not to use it. To many use it when they shouldn't.
    I know the term has nothing to do with condition but to me (and many others) it has EVERYTHING to do with condition! I will never use the term unless the pin looks like it just came out of the box yesterday. To me that is the ONLY time the term should ever be used... pretty much flawless, low play and new like condition inside and out with a shooter lane that glistens.

Get a freakin life. If the game was bought new and used in someone's home for 20+ years, then it's Home Use Only.
    It could still look like freaking shit!

The only thing that has to do with the Condition, is the actual CONDITION.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Get a freakin life. If the game was bought new and used in someone's home for 20+ years, then it's Home Use Only.
    It could still look like freaking shit!

You totally missed the point... which I can't say I'm surprised coming from you.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

You totally missed the point... which I can't say I'm surprised coming from you.

I get the point. It's just all practically meaningless.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I get the point. It's just all practically meaningless.

No, you obviously don't...

#23 10 years ago

You win. Another bi-yearly "HUO" discussion where only TrollKee is right.

#24 10 years ago

It's HUO, as in its only been used in my home since I've owned it .

#25 10 years ago

You don't have to tell me... never had any doubt.

#26 10 years ago

Trollkee makes the best argumentspeewee.jpgpeewee.jpg

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Trollkee makes the best arguments

You're not so bad yourself TrolleyD

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's a ridiculously stupid term anyways, games are either in really good shape or they're not. Whether they sat unplayed on location at a VA hall (true story for a pin I was trying to buy) or in someone's home arcade that got constant play at parties by drunk friends it's what they look like that counts.
    Just retire it already, condition is king.

As I'm mentioned many times, this is a typical comment of someone who has never seen a true HUO wpc. While I agree it's the condition that counts, I have yet to see an in person or anywhere on the net a true HUO WPC that looks like shit.

Receipt or not, a true HUO WPC can be determined right way by spectacular condition. One might say the best restorers could have done this, but really, they're not trying to fool any one and would brand it as their work, and more often then not do so much additional modding or chroming, that would be indicative as well.

#29 10 years ago

how about "NOR"? (never on route)

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

how about "NOR"? (never on route)

It's not the letters in question here..never on route IS saying home use only. essentially same thing.
    I think teekee and atomicboy have it right with it is "expected" to look flawless. Most of us that do have a true HUO machine don't let people abuse it in our homes. The concept that animal partys playing these machines without care is not expected. You need to take off your rings and watches if you want to play mine..overboard..maybe..but, it still looks like it came out of the box (ss) and that is the way I want to keep it. Also if I would ever want to list as HUO. I wouldn't want anyone disappointed. This HUO is our hobby term for the most part..I don't see a need to loose it because of a loose canon.

#31 10 years ago

Condition is what speaks, not 'HUO', 'reimport', etc....

There is a guy right now on the SF CL who is claiming to have a HUO Bingo. The term gets over-used. Local flippers claim every game they get is HUO.....It is similar to the 'this car was driven on sundays by a granny to the local store.' BS that car dealers use.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

As I'm mentioned many times, this is a typical comment of someone who has never seen a true HUO wpc.

Blah blah blah, I don't care. Really nice WPC is a really nice WPC. We have words for that, they describe the condition of the game. Being in a home instead of an arcade is irrelevant. What if it was bought by an op, stored in a warehouse before going on route, and then he went out of business and it just sat there unplayed? That's not "home use only", would you pass up on it when it came up for sale? Of course not. It's a stupid term, and no amount of "you don't get it" is going to change my mind, sorry.

#34 10 years ago

I like "Home Use Only since 11/05/97" or some other such date.

#35 10 years ago

and what happens when near mint gets abused , will this get banned . condition when viewed in person is everything

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from c2scanada:

I am concerned if it has been routed or not.

Why? Isn't condition of the game what you are interested in?

A HUO game may be in worse condition than a game that was routed for a few months and put in storage.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Blah blah blah, I don't care. Really nice WPC is a really nice WPC. We have words for that, they describe the condition of the game. Being in a home instead of an arcade is irrelevant. What if it was bought by an op, stored in a warehouse before going on route, and then he went out of business and it just sat there unplayed? That's not "home use only", would you pass up on it when it came up for sale? Of course not. It's a stupid term, and no amount of "you don't get it" is going to change my mind, sorry.

That would be a very rare scenario. Most are routed, some are home use only, others fall in the NIB finds, and unheard of stuff like what you posted. I did agree with you that condition is the important thing, and obviously I think everyone would, but when I hear people say HUO could be a piece of crap, that's what I have to step in and say what I did, again, you have clearly not owned a HUO WPC.

This isn't coming from a snob elitist, all of my current WPC’s were routed for some point, some very little, some a lot, I take what I can get, and I have done a lot to them to make the PF’s look and play as good as possible, but I have owned two HUO WPC’s, and gone through a lot of machines, and coming from experience, which a lot of the people that would state HUO means something I bet would confirm, HUO WPC’s they have come across are well above even the best shape, non-restored games out there.

It means a lot, and it commands the price and demand as such. There is no arguing that. Good luck to those that want the term to go away, but it ain’t.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

and what happens when near mint gets abused , will this get banned . condition when viewed in person is everything

At least it's a term that means something relevant. Sure, people abuse terms, they lie, some sellers are super shady, some are just dumb. But it describes the actual condition of the machine you are buying. Heck, even NIB describes the condition for the most part (battery damage and rubber rotting aside).

HUO doesn't. It's a meaningless terms for wanker collectors to throw around, and that's it. It only matters to people with $$ in their eyes, which is why Teekee downvoted me. I cherish those downvotes, they assure me that I'm on the right path.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

HUO WPC’s they have come across are well above even the best shape, non-restored games out there.

The ones you had were. Hardly surprising, in most cases being in a home will be nicer to a machine than a public arcade. No one is disputing that obvious fact. But it doesn't always mean that, which is why as a term of machine condition it's useless.

If "mint" meant "in perfect condition, absolutely flawless, except sometimes not" it would be a useless term also.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

HUO doesn't. It's a meaningless terms for wanker collectors to throw around, and that's it. It only matters to people with $$ in their eyes

My apologies that you can't appreciate that which others do. I'm sure there is someone that you know that would say the same about the machines you have purchased, that pinball is a waste, and the same about the TS package you made, saying no one needs that, but in the end there is a desire and a damand in all cases, and you insulting those that choose to care about what you have no vested insterest in is unwarranted.

Your comments are pretty bold for someone so new still. Grow up a little and quit being such a knowitall with what matters and what does not.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

So good and makes so much sense I had to quote myself…

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

A HUO game may be in worse condition than a game that was routed for a few months and put in storage.

And so could a pin that someone describes as 'mint' or 'perfect' or 'flawless' or 'beautiful' or… all these words get abused.

HUO should only be used by those that know…

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Your comments are pretty bold for someone so new still.

lol okay, this grasshopper is gonna move on then. If it matters to you then enjoy it. I'll continue to buy based on real world measurements after looking at the machine in person and inspecting it. We can both be happy.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

lol okay, this grasshopper is gonna move on then. If it matters to you then enjoy it. I'll continue to buy based on real world measurements after looking at the machine in person and inspecting it. We can both be happy.

I didn't say that. It matters to people, it doesn't to sum, but it means something. There is no reason to call people wankers and basically state they have more money than brains because they desire this.

Even if I had the money to buy all that I have in expensive HUO's, which I'm sure if you have the money, you could, I would not, as I don't personally appreciate that as much as I would playable nice machines I fix up, and using the money elsewhere. But that's not to say if I was to come across a HUO I might not buy it, and it's not to say that I can't appreciate that some might want this, and that it does mean something value wise.

I don't believe if you were blindly aware of a machine you wanted coming up somewhere close to you, and you then learned it was HUO without seeing it, you wouldn't get more excited.

Just trust me on this. I'm sure there are comments from me from years previous where I made similar remarks, "HUO could be bad shape, means nothing", honestly I'm sure of it, but once you get one, and come to see what they all do look like from people posting finds on pinside and RGP, you soon realize, well at least I can say, I have NEVER seen a poor HUO find, they are all outstanding with some issues (leakage, marks on the cab from being wherever).

#45 10 years ago

double post, delete

#46 10 years ago

If someone wants to mislead buyers with deceptive descriptions, they're going to find a way, your not going to be able to prevent it by telling them what words to use. There is no perfect rating system. Don't you people watch the Brady Bunch, Caviat Emptor......

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have NEVER seen a poor HUO find, they are all outstanding with some issues (leakage, marks on the cab from being wherever).

But the leaks and marks were home leaks, not route marks and leaks, right?

Point taken though, the wanker comment was probably over the top. But these days 85% of the time you see a HUO listing it's a new Stern, and ... big whoop? Plenty of Sterns bought for homes, not routes, big deal.

I'll admit, if I was say, still looking for my Scared Stiff, and I saw HUO in the ad, I'd probably perk up. So I don't want to be a hypocrite here. But if I showed up and it was beat on or even just a little scuffed and faded I wouldn't care at all that it was HUO, the term just doesn't carry enough meaning beyond "hey, it's possible it's really nice!". We'd be talking price based on condition, nothing else.

#48 10 years ago

Just read the entire thread and it appears that everyone is pretty much saying the same thing just haggling over which TLA to use, my TLA for this thread is OMG - go and play some of whatever TLA conditioned pinball you have

I do find however that HUO can elicit excitement and scepticism simultaneously, just enjoy the thrill of the chase to see what chocolate is in the box when you get there.........(WTF am I saying lol ).....

#49 10 years ago

But to some HUO means every scrap that came with the pin, including the kotter pins and warranty cards and packing materials. If that gets me horny why should that matter?

I have the bill, the box and every piece of literature that came originally with my shadow. To others clutter, to me cool like a time capsule. Use the term all you want, it becomes a sellers credibility here in the community which is where it matters. Not because someone thinks I need their help and am incapable of buying pin unless certain words are banned and moderated. I think we have seen sellers skewered on here that mods needed to shut it down for using misleading descriptions.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Just read the entire thread and it appears that everyone is pretty much saying the same thing just haggling over which TLA to use, my TLA for this thread is OMG - go and play some of whatever TLA conditioned pinball you have
    I do find however that HUO can elicit excitement and scepticism simultaneously, just enjoy the thrill of the chase to see what chocolate is in the box when you get there.........(WTF am I saying lol ).....

Sorry - TLA?

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-use-only-huo-no-more and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.