1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by flynnibus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0307 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Commonly abbreviated HUO I believe.

What does this mean? Coin acceptors removed?

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Was opened and put in home and not on route at all.
    A commonly misrepresented term by certain folks.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Commonly abbreviated HUO I believe.
    What does this mean? Coin acceptors removed?
    Thanks

Yeah, what chad said. Not to be confused with home edition, which I think is what you're getting at with the coin mech comment.

#4 1 year ago

HUO = Home Use Only, which is the history of the pin. Only used in the home.
    Routed = Pin was on route at some point or all of its life.

Where it gets confusing is people sometimes use HUO as a condition description. It is not. It’s the history of the pin itself. Routed could be dead mint and HUO could be beat to shit.

I hope that helps.

#5 1 year ago

You will see "Home Use Only" pins being offered for sale with lock down bars across the coin box (or the holes where they used to be).

EDIT: Guys are right about some newer pins coming with lock down bars. I was thinking about an ebay HUO Black Hole pin, where I asked the seller how he knew it was home use only (answer: because it is so nice), and why are there holes for a lock down bar (no answer for that).

#6 1 year ago

Yeah I'm getting the picture, like "Only driven to church on Sundays by a little ole lady". Caveat Emptor

I thought it might be a legal restriction or something.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Biffbar:

You will see "Home Use Only" pins being offered for sale with lock down bars across the coin box (or the holes where they used to be).

Some games came from the factory with lock down bars. Or at least the mounting brackets.

#8 1 year ago

Forget about the term 'home use only'... it's not something that can be proven, and at the end of the day, the term is to imply that the condition is very good to perfect because it's reportedly not been on location.

As such, go with evaluating the condition of the machine.

You could have a machine that's never been in a public location, but the home owner smokes, has cats that piss all over it, and out of control kids that beat the crap out of it - still... it's HUO.

Or you could have a machine that spent some time in a quiet coffee shop that didn't attract too much attention and is in perfect condition. Which would you choose?

HUO is meaningless. Condition is King.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

Was opened and put in home and not on route at all.
    A commonly misrepresented term by certain folks.

Yes, the term is essentially meaningless at this point. There’s no replacement for an in-person inspection and play test, and I have learned that I’m most satisfied and end up facing the fewest unpleasant surprises when I buy solely based upon what I can see and feel, ignoring all claims about the provenance.

Many have been burned buying sight unseen based upon “HUO” claims in a listing.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Biffbar:

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Some games came from the factory with lock down bars. Or at least the mounting brackets.

IMG_0307 (resized).JPG

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

Forget about the term 'home use only'... it's not something that can be proven.

Usually true but do please note that some owners can and will document their HUO machines when selling. Many collectors buy games NIB and later sell them and can show purchase and delivery receipts to prove provenance.

#12 1 year ago

If I ever sell my only NIB machine I am going to list it as HAO home abused only.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Yeah I'm getting the picture, like "Only driven to church on Sundays by a little ole lady". Caveat Emptor
    I thought it might be a legal restriction or something.

Not to confuse the situation, Technically it is that as well. For example we stock Arcade Legends 3 and the Ms Pac-man Galaga, which are for home use only. I believe "the pin" is for home use only as well.
    http://www.arcadelegends.com

Greg

#14 1 year ago

Except for the fact that 99% percent of the time it's the exact opposite....atleast in my personal experience of buying alotta of games in the last few years..

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Routed could be dead mint and HUO could be beat to shit.
    I hope that helps.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBJB:

Usually true but do please note that some owners can and will document their HUO machines when selling. Many collectors buy games NIB and later sell them and can show purchase and delivery receipts to prove provenance.

Many operators buy games NIB and later sell them and can show purchase and delivery receipts. They don't prove HUO no matter who shows them to you.

Condition is king. HUO is useless for evaluating the condition of a pin.

#16 1 year ago

Sure gets talked about a lot for being "meaningless"!

Of course it has meaning. It is when too much meaning is read into it that there can be problems.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Many operators buy games NIB and later sell them and can show purchase and delivery receipts. They don't prove HUO no matter who shows them to you.
    Condition is king. HUO is useless for evaluating the condition of a pin.

Oh come on. I don't know about you, but I can tell the difference between a receipt that shows delivery to the guy's house where I'm picking a game up and one that does not.

It's a starting point, not a condition. A non-HUO game advertised as HUO is generally easy to spot, but it usually means pretty nice at least.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Biffbar:

All games come with lockdown bars. I think you mean security bars. Most WPC games came with the security hasps bolted to the front of the cabinet on either side of the coin door and a security bar to mount to them.

Now some have introduced a gray area into this HUO moniker in the past. Buy a NIB pin, put it in the basement for 5 years. Then decide to take it to a pinball show for the weekend and let the public play it. Is it still HUO?

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Then decide to take it to a pinball show for the weekend and let the public play it. Is it still HUO?

Yes... just like having a party at your house and having the game played for 10hrs straight doesn't make it a routed game. The game wasn't put out to operate... it's still your home use game. It's not on house arrest

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 1,000.00
    € 18.95
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 399.95
    € 9.10
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 179.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 27.50
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Bright Lights Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside