Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

smokey (resized).jpg
    SB.jpg
    uphill-both-ways2.jpg
    Beer_for_B_R.gif
    IMG_0582.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

So here's one I didn't see - hope I'm not re-posting.

What rules do you have for visitors when it comes to playing your pins?

Now, come on, don't try "I have no rules..!" lines . We have rules, or there wouldn't be any "drink holders" for sale at pinballife or bay area amusements ....

I'll go first, since I haven't almost had anyone over yet ._.

1. There's a reason the pins have drink holders -___-.
    2. No Death Saves, even if it's a DE machine. I don't care if DE machines grant you a reward for doing it - not in my home.
    3. You play all three balls - none of this "my first ball sucked" junk . I treat it as if I was playing a game on location outside of someone's home. If I put 50 cents in, I wouldn't put another 50 cents in just to go back to ball one - I'd play all three.

I'm sure there's more, but those are what I got right off the bat. What about everyone else, what are your big no-nos ?

And if you're wondering, no, I don't break my own rules. My fiancee won't get away with it either, so yeah, anyone who comes over and thinks the rules don't apply to them will have a nice big check signed by "reality" given to them .

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from wbradley:

Who cares if they restart a game after a bad first ball? Sounds like you are metering play count on your machines. There is no reason to, condition is king when it comes to resale, not play count.

Well, in my home on my machines- I do. That's the beauty of it. It's my home and my rules . It's like a garage. You go over to help work on a friend's car. You treat his tools and garage equipment the same way you would if you bought them with your own money - you have utmost respect for their workplace, their tools, and their requests. Anyone who treats someone else's stuff with neglect and disrespect after being requested not to needs to seriously think things over. And if someone is going to fire back at me "Man, I buy widgets and treat it like junk." well, good for you. The widget company loves you because you'll probably be buying another widget from them a lot earlier than I will be .

Speaking of condition, I would be willing to bet that there are higher levels of current, bigger changes in voltages and resistances, and more strain going through the machine to "reset" everything back to ball one. If not, then I welcome any owner to go to their machine, and just keep hitting start over and over and over and over, making the entire machine reset itself back to "beginning of ball 1 mode" at a rapid rate. I'd be willing to bet that would kill a pin's life a lot faster than playing all 3 balls with whatever wear-n-tear three balls would inflict on a playfield.

Just my thoughts. Either way, my rules aren't changing .

#30 12 years ago

Man , quite an interesting array of responses so far.

One of the reasons I started this thread is you never know what may come your way. You can get to typing on here, go to a expo or show before you know it, or know someone who knows someone who knows someone who happens to be a friend of someone here on the forums gets invited to said-forum user's house to play pinball. With that being said, the way people feel about their pins is extremely varied, and assumptions as a guest at someone else's house could land oneself in a lot of hurt if "common sense" train of thought is absent.

As for the "just have fun" responses - yes - I do completely and totally agree with this by adding the words "responsibly." If an five year old found a corkscrew, and decided to carve everything that was running through his head on someone's Medieval Madness, boy, I'll bet there'd be a LOT more unwritten rules to the saying "Just have fun" REAL fast . I mean, he WAS "just having fun" - how can you be mad at him for that ? See where all the nuances start coming in...?

That's mainly why I started this thread. We all want to have fun and a good time - but what are your REAL boundaries with your pins? So far, we've seen a very interesting spectrum of answers - keep em' coming!

#64 12 years ago
    Quoted from wbradley:

If you treat your machines like museum pieces, don't be surprised if people who have been there before decline any future invitations. This applies to the guy that wont let you restart a game if you blow ball #1.

There's more than one of us here , I guarantee you that .

#68 12 years ago
    Quoted from wbradley:

....avoid regularly hitting both flippers simultaneously as it reduces your odds of saving the ball. It is in Pinball 101.

That I will definitely agree with too!

#77 12 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

"3. You play all three balls - none of this "my first ball sucked" junk "
    Funny, I've had my best (high scores) games when my first ball sucked.

You know, I can COMPLETELY vouch for that. Balls 1 & 2 on RFM last week = maybe 20-30million. Ball 3 took me all the way to 257million - and this was the first time I had played this game in over a year. Got the picture to prove the score (: !

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-pins-what-are-your-house-rules?tu=npo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.