Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

smokey (resized).jpg
    SB.jpg
    uphill-both-ways2.jpg
    Beer_for_B_R.gif
    IMG_0582.JPG
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 12 years ago

Heh, my old-timey outlook may amaze some of you but...

Rule - This is commercial equipment. If it could hold up on route, there isn't anything that someone can do to it that will make it fall apart now.

My tilts are always tight, and I set my games so you can't restart them during the game, so I can't imagine anyone walking all over the house with a game. As for shaking, I used to always think it was cheating until a guy I was playing a pin with watched me get a SDTM drain and he said, "No man, you gotta shake it to save it!" and I said I didn't want to break it. He proceeded to violently move the game back and forth about a foot in both directions a few times (it was his machine) and he said, "Ain't gonna do nothing. That's what they are designed for."

He then had me play and shake the hell out of the machine until I tilted. He said that once you hit that tilt, you know you did it too much, and that is the rule. I've shook the hell out of my machines ever since

#52 12 years ago

I have just one rule...

IMG_0582.JPGIMG_0582.JPG

It's above the door before you enter the room, don't expect to eat a greasy pizza and think that you can just stroll in without me calling you out!
    As for "death saves", as long as the machine doesn't leave the ground it's cool; timing is everything, make it short and swift...

"Use the ball's inertia, ya' dingus!" ...SB.jpgSB.jpg

With that said, "bang backs" are usually poo-poo'd upon and "slide saves" on "my" carpet (no footies) doesn't really work that well. Other than that, just use your best judgement with liquids around pins and have fun!

Nudge all you like!

#53 12 years ago

Were pins really made to be shaken and nudged a lot after 20 years of play in routes? I'm scared to shake my pin too much because something always seems to go wrong after I do. shorts I guess.

#54 12 years ago
    Quoted from EEE:

I hear of one guy near Sacramento who requires that you have a beer in one hand...

Rock on!

#55 12 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Rule 1. Drink a lot.
    Rule 2. Trash talk a lot.
    Rule 3. Wash your hands after you pee

Thats one thing about games on location I dont like, you just dont know where other peoples hands have been.

#56 12 years ago

I really do not have any rules, but if you treat my machine poorly you will not be asked back to play again.

I do appreciate when slappers take off rings, as there is no need to extra damage to the cab when not needed

#57 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

Were pins really made to be shaken and nudged a lot after 20 years of play in routes?

They weren't made to be on route for 20 years, but they were made to be shaken. Game companies hoped they would last a few years tops so that people would earn more. Advances in how they were made make it so they last way longer, as do repro parts and stuff like that.

None of this has anything to do with shaking though. They were designed for it, more perhaps more appropriately to make sure it wasn't too extreme (thus the tilt sensors). Flipping a game on it's back will damage it. Shaking it side to side will not. I've never once heard of a machine that from even heavy shaking had a plastic break or something like that -- the action of the ball is a LOT more damaging to a machine than shaking it.

#58 12 years ago
    Quoted from Stack15:

I feel dumb having to ask... but what is a "death save?" I am picturing someone picking up the front of the machine high enough to move the ball back? I'm doubting that is right though. So what is it and how can I do one?

A death save is when the ball goes down the right outlane. Just as the ball glances off the left wall before going into the drain, you nudge in a right-forward direction and the ball is kicked off the wall back into play.

A properly executed death save will not harm a machine, it's just a kind of nudge. A friend of mine could do them on a tight-tilt Ironman with only one warning, and occasionally with no warning.

A bangback is typically done on left drains (though it can be done on either). In this case, at the precise moment, when the ball is travelling down the outlane, about three inches from the drain, you basically palm strike the lockdown bar. The force goes through the cabinet and propels the ball up to the right flipper.

At around 50 seconds you'll see a bangback followed shortly after by a death save.

#59 12 years ago

Are you kidding me! Thats awesome!!! Gonna practice tonight : )

Thanks for that video.

#60 12 years ago

Hunt , Buy , Pimp , Play , ( Keep some ) & Sell , drink beer , etc & Have Fun doing it !!

#61 12 years ago

My only rule is don't mess up the floor or the walls. Slap it, smack it, slide it, kick it and yell at it. I sure as heck do. The tilts are set tight, so whatever you can get away with is fine.

#62 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Are you kidding me! Thats awesome!!! Gonna practice tonight : )
    Thanks for that video.

Have fun!

For both of those moves it's much more about finesse than brute force. Also, you should think of it as a quick, well-timed "pop" to the machine, not a gargantuan "shove".

Here's a young man doing it all wrong:

#63 12 years ago

I find little kids like to rapid fire the flippers like a machine gun. The parents never stop them untill I say something. Hugh pet peve. I'll kill the little brats!

#64 12 years ago
    Quoted from wbradley:

If you treat your machines like museum pieces, don't be surprised if people who have been there before decline any future invitations. This applies to the guy that wont let you restart a game if you blow ball #1.

There's more than one of us here , I guarantee you that .

#65 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I find little kids like to rapid fire the flippers like a machine gun. The parents never stop them untill I say something.

I know exactly what you mean and no matter how many times you try to explain how to play they revert back to the button mashing it is unavoidable. I just make a mental note to order a few more flipper rebuilds. There is only one small boy that actually listened and started to play some pinball when he did I was shocked and proud at the same time.

#66 12 years ago

Oh please. Worried about button mashing wearing out the flippers? Anal much?

More importantly, to play a decent game you dont want to chimp the flippers. First thing I teach a newbie is to try to avoid regularly hitting both flippers simultaneously as it reduces your odds of saving the ball. It is in Pinball 101.

#67 12 years ago
    Quoted from wbradley:

First thing I teach a newbie is to try to avoid regularly hitting both flippers simultaneously as it reduces your odds of saving the ball. It is in Pinball 101.

If I had a nickle for everytime I've explained this also.

#68 12 years ago
    Quoted from wbradley:

....avoid regularly hitting both flippers simultaneously as it reduces your odds of saving the ball. It is in Pinball 101.

That I will definitely agree with too!

#69 12 years ago

Yup, the last gathering some little boy held the flippers til it popped the fuse. I knew nothing so I had to pay a tech to explain that to me. Still worth the $100 for a great party.

#70 12 years ago

I have a few simple rules.

For the kids.
    Dont turn my pin's on and off. Leave that to me.
    If you start a game finish it or drain the balls.
    Dont put anything especially your drink on ANY machine or pool table.
    If you abuse my flippers just bc u like controlling something then you can play pin arcade on your mom’s IPhone.
    NO FIGHTING and take turns.
    If you notice something broke on the pin let me know right away. Dont keep playing.
    If you hit my pins you will not play them....ever!
    If you think my games are too loud bring ear plugs.
    Playing my games are a privilege so treat it like one or your privileges will be revoked. This is not the local Chucky Cheese and im not a big rat here to entertain you.
    Dont tell me what I need to get next in my game room unless your buying it. Im not made of money.

For the adults (if you act like a kid plz read above)
    We can only play strip pinball when there are no kids around.
    If you get offended easy, you should prob not come over bc all of us like to joke around except for you.
    If your a single and female you always go first. I will be behind you waiting to go 2nd.
    Who ever is the drunkest will allway bat clean up (this is a dirty joke).
    If you want to kick someone off of a pin you must only do it topless.
    Never go to the fridge and grab a beer without offering others. That is just plain rude.
    No half drinks lying around my house. Spilt beer kills my game play.
    My game room is like vegas so everything stays in the gameroom.
    No smoking in my game room or my house unless we just had sex and you cant move.
    If you cant move for over 30 min you may phone a friend to help.
    Please dont come to my game room empty handed and then try to give me money to make a beer run. This is not my job and I had plenty of beer b4 you showed up.

#71 12 years ago
    Quoted from wbradley:

Relax man, you don't know me so no need to throw out insults like you do. And yes I do keep in mind that a flipper rebuild will probably be necessary sooner than expected when they have been hit all day long over and over. It's about upkeep. I was just relating to a comment made by another Pinsider. I see no need for you to get your blood pressure up about it.

#72 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

wbradley said:

Relax man, you don't know me so no need to throw start name calling. I was just relating to a comment made by another Pinsider. I see no need for you to get your blood pressure up about it.

I think it is just abusive and annoying and that is disrespectful. Read my thread "This is not Chucky Cheese". Has nothing to due with wearing out the flippers (my op)

#73 12 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

This is not my job and I had plenty of beer b4 you showed up.

love it!

#74 11 years ago

"3. You play all three balls - none of this "my first ball sucked" junk "

Funny, I've had my best (high scores) games when my first ball sucked.

#75 11 years ago

No posting HI SCORES...........if you do use the initials "E M H"
    No whining............this is not a Pilates class. Yes my machines are hard and difficult.....nut up.
    2 homebrew minimum.........I brewed with love.......and don't tell me it's too hoppy.
    Compliment me on my weight loss and my hair gain.......(Mid-life crisis)
    Don't change the music or TV channel.........yes I know you've heard that Black Keys song 4 times
    No wine coolers
    No hip hop

#76 11 years ago

Sorry not meant to offend you, but a flipper can probably take tens of thousands of flips before it needs a rebuild. I think there is a flip count meter in the adjustments menu in WPC games, if I'm not mistaken. In fact I am sure most of my mid 90's machines have probably never had flipper rebuilds. Earlier in the hobby, I would rebuild them whether they needed them or not. Not any more.

Also, usually just a sleeve does the trick. That's .50c and 10 minutes time maximum. Occasionally there's a bit more.

You can't stop kids from doing their thing. It takes away from the experience for them.

Starting and not finishing games is different as that causes noise pollution in a room full of games.

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

You know, I can COMPLETELY vouch for that. Balls 1 & 2 on RFM last week = maybe 20-30million. Ball 3 took me all the way to 257million - and this was the first time I had played this game in over a year. Got the picture to prove the score (: !

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

I have one rule, don't start what you can't finish, play the entire game. This is for my son's friends and nieces and nephews. I can't stand to hear a ball waiting to be plunged for 15 minutes.

Roger that!

#79 11 years ago

Call me a loser, Im prepared to be killed for this. But all my games are 5 balls. I never played in an arcade, my first game was a klondike set on 5 balls. Never played anything else.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

For the most part, if you are worried about how someone is treating your machines, or anything in your house for that matter, perhaps this isn't the right person to be at your house?

Exactly!
    Also, these machines were meant to be played. If somebody does something damaging out of ignorance I'll correct them but I don't want to be a square and hover over them telling them what to do. Let them have a little fun.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Call me a loser, Im prepared to be killed for this. But all my games are 5 balls. I never played in an arcade, my first game was a klondike set on 5 balls. Never played anything else.

Your machines your rules! Nothing to get flamed about unless your spouting off high scores or saying wizard modes are "too easy," which you're not so play on playa!

#82 11 years ago

Im just playin to play, not to make money, not to be a pinball champ. Just play to play.

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

markmon said:For the most part, if you are worried about how someone is treating your machines, or anything in your house for that matter, perhaps this isn't the right person to be at your house?

Exactly!
    Also, these machines were meant to be played. If somebody does something damaging out of ignorance I'll correct them but I don't want to be a square and hover over them telling them what to do. Let them have a little fun.

I say this all the time!!

Phoebe

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Yup, the last gathering some little boy held the flippers til it popped the fuse. I knew nothing so I had to pay a tech to explain that to me. Still worth the $100 for a great party.

That will blow a fuse? I thought thats what an EOS switch was for? Please explain this......

#86 11 years ago

My Pin's ,,

5-ball , ( Alway's ) ball save at factory and TZ has 1 Buy-n , Just in case..My Game's , my Rule's !!

Alot of PinHead's I know swear on the Forum's they are 3-ball , No Buy-n etc ... ( BS )

They Just go w/ the Flow and try Not to be an Out cast..( Ok ) I tell it like it is.. I Know Who

Ya Are !!

#87 11 years ago

All of my machines set to 5 ball also. Fun is more important to the masses. If I want to attempt to crack someone elses score I can always say factory settings. Besides it is harder to make wizard mode if it is on 3 balls and I have a beer in my off hand =-)

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Know Who Ya Are !!

"3 ball" till the day I die B_R!
    If I want an "extra ball" I have to earn it...
    "...Uphill to school in 12' of snow both ways!!!"

uphill-both-ways2.jpguphill-both-ways2.jpg

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

BLACK_ROSE said:I Know Who Ya Are !!
    3 ball till the day I die B_R!
    If I want an "extra ball" I have to earn it...
    Uphill to school in 12' of snow both ways!!!

I hear Ya Cool Breeze !!! We All have Our Thang ........

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

My Pin's ,,
    ball save at factory and TZ has 1 Buy-n ,

My TZ is the same way because those are it's factory settings with the ROM I have.

#91 11 years ago

whenever we have a small gatehring or family get-together i post this sign up right above the door into our garagecade

dammit.... i suck at posting pictures!

#92 11 years ago

Three rules for successful Pin experience:

1) Drink
    2) Drank
    3) Drunk

#93 11 years ago

From reading all the responses, this video is sure to give some of you nightmares.

#94 11 years ago

Hey, I didn't notice I was being filmed!

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

Dewey68 said:

I have one rule, don't start what you can't finish, play the entire game. This is for my son's friends and nieces and nephews. I can't stand to hear a ball waiting to be plunged for 15 minutes.

Roger that!

Number one hate followed closely followed by monkey flippin

#96 11 years ago

Some of you guys a are strrrict! My only rule is don't be an idiot. If the balls gone the balls gone you don't have to rage shake it. But my tilt is set and anything you can get away with do it! If you can death save just remember it's about finesse. I'll do it from time to time. I try not to but I can't help myself. Bang backs don't work on my WPT but on my getaway I'd do them all the time and encourage others to try. They're built for punishment. A bang back isn't going to hurt anything. However I can see how sloppy death saves could hurt the cabinet.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

this video is sure to give some of you nightmares.

This video actually wants me to teach him how to play better.

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

My only strict rule is if something seems broken, not working properly, etc. Please tell me right away. My son and his buddies play alot so he knows that rule. Also if a coil locks on, shut off the machine RIGHT away...

+1. Same at my house.

Only other rule....turn the darn pin off at the end of the night.....I am not the gameroom maid!!

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

From reading all the responses, this video is sure to give some of you nightmares.

LMAO!! I watched this with my son...all he said is "he sucks...look at his points"

#100 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

I only get one good ball so it doesn't matter in which order the other 2 drain.

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-pins-what-are-your-house-rules/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.