Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I saw someone in another post say something about playing some game for the first time and he kept getting extra balls and winning credits and it dawned on me that is something that is greatly lacking in the home environment.

The thrill of winning free games means something to me and frankly, half of the time I don't even know HOW to earn extra balls on my home games...they seem less important to me.

I sometimes think that playing at home has made me a worse player because the incentive is gone financially. (though this also seems silly...how many .50 games could I buy on location for my $4000 average invested per machine????)

Another thing that has made me less skilled is fear. I blew that transistor on BDK cradling the ball for lengthy periods during multi ball and now I am scared to cradle on ANY game. I didn't mind doing it to some arcades game...they can fix it. Is my fear unfounded?

Anyway, I am thinking that knowing I have unlimited play makes me a poorer player in much the same way that I play golf poorly at my own course versus away. I try harder and concentrate better on something that isn't free.

Anyone else?

#2 11 years ago

no

#4 11 years ago

Yes. Your fear is unfounded. Cradle the ball as you see fit. Transistors are cheap and easy to replace. The replacements are stronger.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Yes. Your fear is unfounded.

Thanks...cradling is back!

#6 11 years ago

My skill doesn't erode, but my giveacrapness (new word) does go down if I have a bad 1st ball.

Man, how long were you cradling? That transistor was probably weak and about to fail anyway.

#7 11 years ago

Definitely not here. Makes me better if anything.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

My skill doesn't erode, but my giveacrapness (new word) does go down if I have a bad 1st ball.

Maybe THAT is the real problem...major givecrappness deficit...

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Man, how long were you cradling?

It was epic...Honestly I don't really remember but over 5 minutes. I hate the best game of my life going (no exaggeration) ...and when I released the cradled ball, the flipper was done, gone, dead, game over.

Sucked.

#10 11 years ago

Set the pin to a dollar-per-play, insert your coins to start a game, and give the coin-door keys to your wife. Problem solved

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

It was epic...Honestly I don't really remember but over 5 minutes. I hate the best game of my life going (no exaggeration) ...and when I released the cradled ball, the flipper was done, gone, dead, game over.
    Sucked.

Was probably a fluke. but the upgraded transistors are stronger.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Set the pin to a dollar-per-play, insert your coins to start a game, and give the coin-door keys to your wife. Problem solved []

Let's not panic now!

#13 11 years ago

I have two games but I mostly play on location. I agree, winning a free game or EB is more exciting on location with a little cash at stake, or maybe some people watching. But as for making you a worse player... overall I say no.

A home game means you can grab a few games any time and maintain your edge. It's also easier to really dig into a home game and play the hell out of it. A lot of the strategic thinking carries over to other games. Lastly, you can make your home games really really hard. Especially if you play in tournaments, it can be tough to find location games that are set up as hard as they are in the bigger tournaments.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

(though this also seems silly...how many .50 games could I buy on location for my $4000 average invested per machine????)

8000 games / per machined owned - - - Math, it's what's for dinner!

#15 11 years ago

Unless the game was given to you, your play is anything but free... Kidding ya, but I understand the attitude of the "thrill of victory" being less.

I try to put one credit on my Pinbot and see how long I can keep playing, earning free games. Its about 50/50 due to Pinbot being a drain monster, but occasionally I'll pop a credit, then earn up to 4 more depending on if I make the high score rankings.

Popping more than 1 credit still feels like a victory. Its also cool to just see how many games you can get out of it.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately it's not a fluke. I've seen it happen multiple times on Stern games. In fact, I forgot who it was, but one of the players at the IFPA Championships this past weekend did exactly that on Spiderman.

#17 11 years ago

I feel like i am a better player with my home collection.I'm always trying to beat my high scores

#18 11 years ago

Investment wise .50 veruses 4,000 i will take the 4,ooo route any time. I can play when & whenever i want. And when i'm tired of the game I usually sell it for what I paid for it

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

Unfortunately it's not a fluke. I've seen it happen multiple times on Stern games. In fact, I forgot who it was, but one of the players at the IFPA Championships this past weekend did exactly that on spiderman.

I've had it happen on 3 new Sterns. I often trap on left and play the right flipper and it has always been the transistor for the left flipper that fails. I have not had a repeat failure on a replaced transistor.

Worst instance was on FGY when I was waiting to end a multiball to start Sperm Attack for my first time. Ended the multiball and had the last ball trapped ready to shoot, and the flipper died and the ball rolled into the drain. Game over. Dang.

#20 11 years ago

I know the feeling.. when playing at home the drive is less to make the best of every ball.. when you start a bad first ball it's easy to press the start button again and start a new game.

Also had the fear doing certain shots, on my TZ I had replaced the slotmachine target and noticed for months I was afraid to shoot it.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Not a fluke. Happened to me on my 3 week old TF-LE. My friend was cradling the ball for at least 3 or 4 minutes while we were chatting about the game & the thing just blew.

#22 11 years ago

Love this word.

#23 11 years ago

I do not see skill erosion. It really helps me. Sometimes I will disregard my score and my progress through the game in favor of working a shot or two that I have been having difficulty with. That is not something I do on location.

#24 11 years ago

Set goals for yourself. My wife can tell you I 'give a crap' how games go, she's seen my post-game tantrums... When you've kicked of Battle Royale multiball and you 4-ball drain without even collecting one jackpot, you care! For a while I was restarting balls on a bad ball 1, but I conditioned myself to stop doing it, since I'm trying to play better in a tourney setting.

-Wes

#25 11 years ago

I put all my games on single quarter play at home. I use them like piggy banks (along with my roommates) and when I open them up to empty I normally just put the money into spare parts or upgrades

#26 11 years ago

So let me get this right...

You guys play games on pinball machines after you get them working and shopped?

I missed the memo on this one!

#27 11 years ago

i love getting a replay or special on my games. my wife thinks im nuts. she always says you won a game on a game you play for free. i just love to hear the sound of the knocker.or the stern chirp.

#28 11 years ago

I noticed that I too become somewhat jaded when they're set to free games. Though I do like to occasionally just play a mindless game or two - swat the ball around while I ponder something else. But I do find I tend to care less how I do if I'm not paying for the game. Time to set them to need coins once I get the spare parts out of the cabinet and the coin tray back in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-ownership-skill-erosion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.