001 (resized).jpg
WP_20141201_001.jpg
WP_20141130_009.jpg
WP_20141129_018.jpg
WP_20141129_017.jpg
WP_20141129_016.jpg
WP_20141029_002.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Its not a particularly special project and pretty straightforward, but I really like the end result. My F14 didnt have the original speaker grills, so I decided to recreate them properly. Someone actually took the time to trace out that Williams logoSomeone actually took the time to trace out that Williams logo

I bought an electronic air filter at the thrift shop for $3, which had a grill with almost the same "grill-pattern"
The grill from the air filterThe grill from the air filter

Then I cut out the grills to size, sanded them and spraypainted them in semi-gloss black

Cut the grill to sizeCut the grill to size

After paintingAfter painting

I then printed the Williams logo and glued it to a piece of thin cardboard, and traced it out with an x-acto knife. Then I attached the template to the grills and sprayed on the red paint.
After spraying the red paint.After spraying the red paint.

The end result:
WP_20141201_001.jpgWP_20141201_001.jpg

#2 9 years ago

nice looking result. I am shocked that these aren't for sale somewhere

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I am shocked that these aren't for sale somewhere

Indeed, I was surprised by that too. I expected the bezel to be harder to find than the grills

5 years later
#4 4 years ago

How did you reassemble your project? Glue? Double sided tape? I have a NOS pair of grills I'm looking to put in my Cyclone.

001 (resized).jpg001 (resized).jpg

#5 4 years ago

Hi Jeff, I glued it on, but in hindsight I'm not sure it should be glued. I think there's supposed to be a different trim on top of the assembly to hold it in place.

I'll check on one of my other sys11's tomorrow how they're assembled

#6 4 years ago

Thanks!

Mine seems like it's about ready to fall apart by itself. So I'm not too worried about the disassembly part. Just looking for ideas about what I'm going to find when I do get it apart. It looks to me like the top trim holds the top together and the bottom channel holds the bottom together. But the bottom channel stays with the head. The panel assembly isn't held together well once it's pulled up and out from the channel.

#7 4 years ago

Just reattached the front plexi to the speaker panel on our SoF. Foam mounting tape, you know the stuff they've been putting cars together with for the last 30 years. Easy peasy, no mess.

Don C

#8 4 years ago

So I checked on my Space Station, it has a channel along the top, unlike the F14. The bezel is loose, but it looks like it was glued on at some point.

I think carpet tape would work really well to keep it in place!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

2 weeks later
#10 4 years ago

Following up on my project...

I made a scan of one of my new speaker grills which could be used to make a painting stencil. Let me know if you want it (the scan, not the grill).

The speaker panel was attached to the backboard with top and bottom strips of what may have been transfer tape. The tape was long dead and the panel came right off. The grills were attached to the backboard by a small brad nail in each corner. These popped right out. The backboard had shallow recesses to accommodate the thickness of the grills.

shop-51 (resized).jpgshop-51 (resized).jpg

shop-52 (resized).jpgshop-52 (resized).jpg

I used a small dab of clear silicone caulk at each former nail location to attach the new grills to the backboard. I let the caulk cure for a day before proceeding.

shop-54 (resized).jpgshop-54 (resized).jpg

To reattach the speaker panel to the backboard I used ½" strips of 3M 468MP transfer tape (which is thicker than the 3M 467MP). I peeled back an end of the backing for each strip and folded the backing over itself at a 45 degree angle such that the end formed a short "pull-tab" extending out from the work. In this way I was able to carefully align the speaker panel over the backboard without exposing all the adhesive all at once. When I had the speaker panel properly positioned on the backboard I pulled away the tape backings without having to lift or shift the speaker panel.

shop-55 (resized).jpgshop-55 (resized).jpg

shop-56 (resized).jpgshop-56 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-made-speaker-grills and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.