(Topic ID: 113971)

Home made Iron Man $4 and 15 minute whiplash mod.

By erak

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zdoor
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0280 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_2014-12-31-12-24-47.png
Screenshot_2014-12-31-02-11-34.png
CAM00216.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi, I bought a 1meter piece of EL wire with the 12v inverter included off a Chinese website. It was $3.99 Canadian and free shipping.
It took about 2 weeks to show up.

I split it into 2 whips and used heat shrink to cover up what isnt used and to create the black rings on the whips.
It took about 15min to make and install. It is wired directly to the 12v aux plug by the coindoor.

This mod is so easy to do. I don't understand why the online prices are so crazy?

I added the chest LED a couple weeks ago. That was just drilling out the hole and adding a frosted blue led and about a foot of wire. Its connected to the nearest G.I. socket by alligator clips.

Let me know what you think.
It looks great during whiplash multiball!

CAM00216.jpgCAM00216.jpg
#2 9 years ago

I think it looks great! I was thinking of doing something similar, but was stalling. I noticed there are several different sizes (thickness) of EL wire. Which did you use? The thickness you used looks perfect. Which color did you opt for? It looks white in the picture, but you said you used a blue LED in his chest, so it might be blue. Was splitting it easy? Is the excess EL under the playfield or did you cut to length?

Overall great job!

#3 9 years ago

Hi. There is hardly any excess under the playfield. And splitting it is super easy. If you can solider 4 wires to 2 wires you can do this mod.

I just cut the EL wire off the wires coming out of the inverter.
Then cut the EL wire portion in half. Stripped one end of both which gives you the 4 wires. The EL wire has a core wire and an outside one. Kind of like coax cable.

Then solider them back on to the inverter box wires.
Cut of the cigarette lighter end off the inverter and connect that to the 12v in the pin.

I cut small pieces of heat shrink for the rings.
And really there is only about a foot under the playfield. Which is perfect for finding somewhere to mount the inverter box.

The EL wire comes with a plug from the wire to the inverter as well so it makes it easy to run through the nearest playfield hole.

This is what I ordered, its white but looks a bit blueish. Not sure on the size of the wire. But its perfect!

Screenshot_2014-12-31-02-11-34.pngScreenshot_2014-12-31-02-11-34.png

#4 9 years ago

I paid to have it done out of laziness and wanting it done right. Looks good though bud!

I had thoughts of doing a topper of Iron Man, War Machine, Iron Monger, Whiplash and all four Drones with arc reactors in the chest lit up.

#5 9 years ago

Can't believe how crazy cheap this is.

Looks great.

#6 9 years ago

Here is another mod I was thinking of doing. I have the Stark industries topper coming.
But was also thinking of adding a full size arc reactor to the top.
They are $200-400 online but found them on the same website for $56.00

Screenshot_2014-12-31-12-24-47.pngScreenshot_2014-12-31-12-24-47.png
#7 9 years ago

Looks very cool.

10 months later
#8 8 years ago

Old, old thread being resurrected. Just wanted to say "Thank you" to the OP. I couldn't believe vendors wanted $200+ for this mod, and then there's the whole kit ready for less than $10 shipped to my home. A little bit of wire cutting, soldering, and clipping to save $190+ ? Yep, I'll take part in that right here, thank you.

I get it - someone did the homework for you and decorated the whips so you'll pay a little more, but charging 1900% of the original parts cost...? Holy cow.

Props on explaining the LED in the chest too. Super easy - just got to take your time and go slow with the drill. I'll be doing that too - thanks Erak!!

#9 8 years ago

I've found working with the El wire to be a PIA, the wires are thinner than hair and not so easy to see. Exposing those wires is also not so easy. Sure, parts are cheap, but Those that can work with EL deserve what they can get for them. You also need to do it correctly or the whips will be too dim.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for sharing...I put this on my to do list.

#12 8 years ago

It would be awesome if somebody could put up a video tutorial of this being accomplished.

#13 8 years ago

When I got my IM, I also bought one of the modified whiplash characters with EL wire whips. I think it was way overpriced ($130) and you cannot even see the EL wire lighting during gameplay because it does not light up very well.

Rob

#14 8 years ago

My brains not working well, but there is a newer, brighter EL wire made....I think its only a couple dollars more, but
I cant remember the diameter or verbage....Maybe someone can share.
There are also many different qualities of EL wire, like anything else out of China.
I think I have over 20 different samples....and indeed differences can be seen....

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My brains not working well, but there is a newer, brighter EL wire made....I think its only a couple dollars more, but
I cant remember the diameter or verbage....Maybe someone can share.
There are also many different qualities of EL wire, like anything else out of China.
I think I have over 20 different samples....and indeed differences can be seen....

Are we able to purchase EL Wire from you? I have the inverter on the way, and working with this stuff doesn't scare me. No way I am popping $200+ for these kits.

#16 8 years ago

Sorry, for the same reason as the Op posted, we tested offering the $3-$4 product for $8-$10.
(Cost of operations, and free shipping from here)
Basically, most knew it was available from Ebay the same....under $5.00 delivered.
What we do expect with Matrix, and this one part is scheduled for around March, I hope,
is plug our "Black Box", which have a 12V output by plugging into a bulb, that will enable a choice of trigger events
from any insert. While I have a lot of products so far, This will be a great addition, and I may add some El wire at that time.

But simply getting the better product, and I dont usually worry about $1.00 may be easier on Ebay.
Some come sound activated, others as they are 12V can hook to the flashers...but then you never see it.
For that reason, to me, if they light from an insert event before the mode and all the flashing, I think it would be appreciated more,
and seen much easier.

Certainly, Id gamble a few bucks and play with some......having the battery pack lets you test as whips, or lighting in any game.

I was hoping someone could share the specs for the brighter version, which appears almost 75% brighter to me.....

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sorry, for the same reason as the Op posted, we tested offering the $3-$4 product for $8-$10.
(Cost of operations, and free shipping from here)
Basically, most knew it was available from Ebay the same....under $5.00 delivered.
What we do expect with Matrix, and this one part is scheduled for around March, I hope,
is plug our "Black Box", which have a 12V output by plugging into a bulb, that will enable a choice of trigger events
from any insert. While I have a lot of products so far, This will be a great addition, and I may add some El wire at that time.
But simply getting the better product, and I dont usually worry about $1.00 may be easier on Ebay.
Some come sound activated, others as they are 12V can hook to the flashers...but then you never see it.
For that reason, to me, if they light from an insert event before the mode and all the flashing, I think it would be appreciated more,
and seen much easier.
Certainly, Id gamble a few bucks and play with some......having the battery pack lets you test as whips, or lighting in any game.
I was hoping someone could share the specs for the brighter version, which appears almost 75% brighter to me.....

$8 - $10 is one thing; $150+ is another.

I bought a couple of these and will be experimenting. Between this and the new 3.75" War Machine figure I just purchased to LED up, I'll be doing some fun experimenting . Never done this kind of thing, so between Whiplash and War Machine, I figured "Why not?"

I'll have to go to a specialty electronics store here in town for the LEDs small enough to fit in the chest area. Does anyone know right off the bat the size hole in the chest you have to make to place an LED there? I assume if you're going to get a "test LED" that is just theLED bulb and the two leads, you need a resistor in series with one of the legs to keep the LED from being burned out.

Sorry, just learning here as I am new to this kind of stuff.

1 year later
#18 6 years ago

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but does anyone want to comment on how their whiplash wire mod build turned out?

Curious what products were used, and perhaps there is brighter el-wire now to purchase. Still a little confused how to wire this correctly.

3 weeks later
#19 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but does anyone want to comment on how their whiplash wire mod build turned out?
Curious what products were used, and perhaps there is brighter el-wire now to purchase. Still a little confused how to wire this correctly.

Mine turned out great. Very pleased with the result for about $20.

#20 6 years ago

I would assume something like this would be easy to do for Balrog in LOTR as well...

#21 6 years ago

Here's Balrogs whip using 3 strands of EL braided together. Tap into the Balrog flasher using a resistor to reduce the voltage down to 12v so you don't burn up the inverter. The Sam system flasher circuit is usually around 17-18v. It will light when Balrog is active only and looks awesome. It's tricky to build. Buy extra EL wire. You'll probably need it...

#23 6 years ago

The photos are nice, but it would be great if someone could post a diagram of how to wire these up to the flashers & GI sockets. I don't have much education with electronics, but I can use a soldering iron. Gauge wire used, size of resistor needed, connecting the led.... it would be so helpful to see in detail exactly how someone setup the parts to create the chest led, whip wiring, etc

#24 6 years ago

That Balrog is pretty awesome. What size reistor did you use? As HoakyPoaky also noted above, I am not an electronics expert but can solder.

#25 6 years ago

Traveling this week. I can look it up in my notes when I return. There's a few calculators online that can also give you the info.

To make it cleanest I made them with idc jumpers to wire inline. You can tap in right under Balrog. The connector is visible and easy to get to. If I remember correctly it's a 4 pin idc. That way you won't have to cut factory wiring. Also you can route the wire externally under his arm. Or, you can remove the figure, drill a small hole on the underside of the wrist, and route the wire through the figure and under the playfield. That looks factory but is a bit more work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-made-iron-man-4-and-15-minute-whiplash-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.