Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4347.JPG
    IMG_4335.JPG
    IMG_4177.JPG
    IMG_4176.JPG
    IMG_4173.JPG
    IMG_4170.JPG
    IMG_4165.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4156.JPG
    IMG_4154.JPG
    IMG_4150.JPG
    IMG_4152.JPG
    IMG_4151.JPG
    IMG_4139.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4131.JPG

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

Nice work that is one great looking 6M$M.

I really honestly liked the brown and blue cabinet before changing back to RWB.

I know it would not match PF or anything else just looked nice.

Very nice work.

1 month later
    #52 11 years ago

Finally got some good painting weax. Let the reassembly begin!

IMG_4335.JPGIMG_4335.JPG

#53 11 years ago

Great job. That looks really nice! Especially making the stencils the way you did.

#54 11 years ago

Holy chit, that looks great!

#55 11 years ago

That looks amazing! Awesome work!

#56 11 years ago

You rule!

#57 11 years ago

looks fantastic!

#58 11 years ago

Excellent job !

#59 11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and helpful tips. Not too bad for my first try at this. Also thanks to PBR, BigDaddy, Mouser and SignWarehouse.com for all the parts and tech support. Come play it at the TPF!

IMG_4347.JPGIMG_4347.JPG

#60 11 years ago

10/10! Fantastic work!

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from STTNG:

10/10! Fantastic work!

Agreed!

#62 11 years ago

Yeah, that came out really nice!

#63 11 years ago

Just curious. Which sign cutter did you use for this?

#65 11 years ago

That looks great!
    A fantastic paint job!!!
    How much was your cost vs the pre-made stencils?
    What kind of primer and paint did you use?
    Inquiring minds want to know!

You should make custom stencils!

#67 11 years ago

Basically, $30 for materials to make the stencils plus countless hours to clean up the originals. This has been a huge learning process I am far from mastering. (If you examine the corners I still didn't get the alignment correct.) The paint I used was standard household latex in satin finish. 1 qt each. Plus 2 spray cans of clearcoat. Not pleased with how the clearcoat did. Next time I'll put it on with the gun. Overall, I am happy with it and would surely do it again. Most machines don't have stencils available and the best C/L bargain machines come with that sanded, natural finish. I prefer my machines to look original. Well, time to get my Black Pyramid shopped for TPF then I am delving into making a clear machine from the remains of a Sonic - Super Straight.

#69 11 years ago

Looks great! I'm going to try my hand at a complete repaint when the weather warms up enough to paint. I hope mine comes out as nice as your 6M$M.

2 months later
    #71 10 years ago

Just curious - did you use transfer tape to apply the stencils, or did you place them manually? Is the stencil material stiff enough to avoid having to use transfer tape?

Charlie

#72 10 years ago

Paint your fence with the stencis when your done. Pinfence.

#73 10 years ago

Awesome job!!!! Getting ready to tackle a Flash Gordon.

Can you say how you removed the siderails? Were you successful in removing them without damage?

Thanks,

Carey

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from essmeier:

Just curious - did you use transfer tape to apply the stencils, or did you place them manually? Is the stencil material stiff enough to avoid having to use transfer tape?
    Charlie

Had to use transfer tape. (AT-60 from signwarehouse.com) No way it would work otherwise. My biggest problem through this whole thing was the alignment process. It deserved way more attention than I gave it.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from 85Txaggie:

Awesome job!!!! Getting ready to tackle a Flash Gordon.
    Can you say how you removed the siderails? Were you successful in removing them without damage?
    Thanks,
    Carey

Well... after doing exhaustive research here, I ended up taking some of my old flathead screwdrivers to task on a grinding wheel and making a mini-prybar of sorts. (To go between the rail and the nail head.) The problem there is that it WILL scratch your siderail which can then be buffed out but that's just making more work. For the second side and any future endeavors, I pried under the rail at the nail head together to get it started. Then I popped the rail back down to where I could get my home made mini-pry under the nail head with protective material between it and the rail. This made for some minor indents in the wood which was being sanded, filled and repaired anyways. The first one was tough, after that it gets easier as you go along. Watch out for a bolt near the flipper button and a vertical nail at the other end. Remember, the nails are spiraled. Once you get it pried up a little, grab it with vise grips and twist it out. Good luck!

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Had to use transfer tape. (AT-60 from signwarehouse.com) No way it would work otherwise.

Thanks!

Charlie

#77 10 years ago

good job

What file format does inkscape save in?

#78 10 years ago

Inkscape will save in over a dozen different formats. I used .png because that is what my vinyl cutter program read best.

#79 10 years ago

Could you make some for haunted house that I could buy from you? Haven't been able to find any.

#80 10 years ago

looks fantastic. Great work. Tons of work involved on there. Labor of love.

#81 10 years ago

Haunted House available right here..

http://www.flipperescue.com/hh.htm

1 week later
    #83 10 years ago

Takes quite a bit of nerve to post a link to your stencils directly after mine.If you havent already done so, then i suggest you go to our home page

http://www.flipperescue.com/

You will see on there that we have LICENCE to produce GOTTLIEB cabinet stencils, we are sole provider of these WORLDWIDE. This in effect means that you are in breach of said licencing rights and are therefore impacting sales to which we may have course to claim compensation.
    I hereby request that you remove ALL GOTTLIEB stencils from your listing and cease sales immediately. Your product listing has been sent to rights holders GOTTLIEB DEVELOPMENT LLC.

I trust i can rely on your cooperation in this matter..

Gavin Tiernan - Flipperescue

#84 10 years ago

Damn!!! Looks amazing

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from Retropin:

Takes quite a bit of nerve to post a link to your stencils directly after mine.

Yes, but they offer making what I need. I didn't see that on your site?

Glad to find both companies.

#86 10 years ago

Alignment can be assisted by rulers in the original photo. Then photoshop or illustrator using measure tools to stretch and line things back up.

Great work by the way! I will be using a similar process to do my firepower this summer. I am going to look into the paintmask material you used.

#87 10 years ago

What I didn't think through was that the blue intersects at the front corners. The paint order was most logically a white base coat followed by the red, then the blue. The red stencils could be closely aligned, but they don't actually meet. I figured I could adjust the blue as needed but then an 1/8" difference at the front translates to an inch off at the back of the cabinet. Had to align the blue stencil with what was already red. Thus the sides and front look great until you see them together. Since then I pay more attention to how machine paint jobs are aligned at the corners. Not many line up like the 6M$M, but some do. Lesson learned.

#88 10 years ago

Just incredible. You did an awesome job on the cabinet.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-hack-making-my-own-stencils/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.