(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wxforecaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1959 6 years ago

I had posted a separate thread for my Black Hole repair, but figured I'd try here as well. I fixed a dead MPU with a new CPU, a bad RIOT, and a also corrected a couple output 74LS chips with a dead pin. Added NVRAM at 5101. Board passed all of the Pinitech diagnostic adapter's tests as well as the Marco extended test ROM. It boots and mostly plays a game, but I wanted to tackle the main issue I'm seeing. Displays 3 and 4 ("B" bank) have no a-g segments. The vertical 'h' segment works. Displays are good via swap to displays 1/2.

Z21, which controls the a-g segment output to the B bank, has its output pins stuck low despite pulsing input. Both it and Z20 have been socked and replaced with no change (in fact I tried a couple chips just in case. even though they're new and from a known good source). That said the pulsing input on Z21 (and output of Z20) sounds "noisy" as compared to Z18/Z19 with the A display bank. The only thing not in common between Z18 and Z20 is the CK at pin 9. Both of these trace back to RIOT chip U5, and they definitely sound "different" although pulsing (and I'm guessing should not since all 0s should be displayed on the displays after boot). Pin 13 on U5, which controls that CK signal on Z20 pin9 is labeled PA5.

Like I said, that RIOT chip passed all of its diagnostic steps and I've even tried a couple other RIOTs at U5 and all have the same result.

What am I missing here? I'm guessing Z21's output stuck low is because its input, while pulsing, is probably floating somewhere to not really have a high or low??

#1961 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

I got fooled once with something similar. I thought a signal was toggling with my logic probe but it actually wasn't. Compared to other pins the bad pins made the logic probe beep but only one of the hi lo leds were flickering so it looked and sounded like it was toggling. For full toggling both of the hi and lo leds should go on and off clearly . Mine are red and green arrow leds for hi and lo. Only the red one was flickering on and off hi... the green one wasn't clearly on when the red was off. Fooled me and I replaced the next chip unnecessarily.

I know what you mean. I have a decent Elenco which has red/green lights for HI/LO but also a separate LED for pulse. I do not have an oscilloscope but I can just tell that something isn't right with the U5/13 -> Z20/9 clock pin signal given the audible sound on the logic probe (even though it's pulsing).

Everything else on Z20 is tied with Z18 back to Z16, so I know it's not that since the A displays work fine.

What's I'm trying to understand is how U5 tests OK, and yet if PA5 (U5/13 = Z20/9) is bad, where else is that signal coming from. Attaching schematic...

20180402_093031 (resized).jpg20180402_093031 (resized).jpg

#1963 6 years ago

There is no explanation other than the 74LS48 chips I purchased from Marco are either counterfeit or defective.

1.) There is no short between any of the pins. The 4 input pins to Z20 are tied to the 4 input pins of Z18.
2.) All of the pins tied to Vcc on Z20/Z21 are reading 4.99V and all the ground pins are 0V.
3.) Continuity checks pass on all pins of both Z20/Z21 with no connectivity anywhere else on the board.
4.) Z21's A,B,C,D input signals are pulsing. There should be no circumstance under which Z21 3,4,5,16 are hi, 8 is lo, and the inputs are pulsing and that the outputs are stuck low.
5.) Z20s input and flopped output signals appear "correct" in comparison to Z18 and Z22.
6.) Voltage across C27 is 4.99V (as is C26 and C28), and the powered pins are reading correctly.

I'm going to use an Arduino later today to power the 74LS48 chips on a breadboard and pass it the correct decoder signals to output the a-g segments to prove my case. Marco is looking into the chips right now and comparing it to their stock. They are not known for electronics parts, but since they had them stocked along with a bunch of other pinball repair stuff I needed, I went with them.

#1968 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Try removing connectors at each end of the harness and see if Z21 outputs are still stuck low. Rules out connector and harness problems.
Is Z21 the correct chip... it’s not a ´variant’ or ´this chip should also work’?

Yes, 74LS48 is an appropriate chip here. The stuck low pins for the Z21 a-g output pins also occurs on the bench, so I know it's not a connector or harness. This wouldn't make any sense anyways since the display connector is a one-way street.

Marco is sending me several more from a different lot today. In the meantime, since the 7 BCD decoder truth table is pretty straight forward, I'm going to use an Arduino and a breadboard to build a simple test circuit for this chip out of the game. If the output pins are still stuck low, then we know the chips are bogus.

Thanks for your help.

#1970 6 years ago

Yep, bogus chips. Was fun writing the code to test this though! Marco is sending me new chips from another source.

20180403_173313 (resized).jpg20180403_173313 (resized).jpg

#1973 6 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Are the lot numbers printed on the chips? I hope if they are the Op post them so others can check their own.

Yeh it has a Texas Instruments logo, followed by 45H12LD and then E4 with a line under those two characters.
Next line is SN74LS48N.

PinballAir, actually this was a rogue issue. When I bought it the game wouldn't boot, due to a failed CPU and 1 RIOT chip. No corrosion issues, but I did the NVRAM mod anyways. In testing all of the 74LS series chips on the board, I found 3 with dead pins (one lamp, one switch, and then Z21 had one bad display pin). So I socketed and replaced those 3, and despite this chip passing the diode test, I still had no displays, which led me down the path above to the found discovery of the replacement 7448 chips I bought from Marco were junk. Can a huge outfit like them test every chip? Heck no. Would I have bought these from Ed @ G-P-E? Absolutely, but he's been out for a while. Marco said they have no more from this lot, and a few replacements are in route, free of charge. Can't ask for better customer service. Hopefully they test good and issue resolved.

#1975 6 years ago

So good news. First, MAJOR MAJOR kudos to Steve at Marco who fast-shipped me replacement chips, no questions asked. Both of them tested good in my Arduino rig above, slapped them in the game, and I have working displays! Can't believe how long I spent down an issue stemming from replaced a bad original chip with 2 NEW bad (counterfeit?) chips.

Now onto the rest of the game. A couple bulbs out but I think the rest of this should hopefully go smoothly.

Evan

#1977 6 years ago

I swear this Black Hole is going to be the death of me. Now that I have (hopefully?) resolved the display issue, I replaced some bad lamps (actually LED'd all of the inserts) and fired up a few games.

Immediately I'm noticed the following behavior as soon as a ball hits the shooter lane:
1.) I'm getting a ton of 10 point registers on the LOWER playfield display anytime a coil fires (flippers, ball into the shooter lane, etc.). It seemed that when I lifted the upper playfield into the vertical position that this stopped (need to do more testing). I looked at all of the switches on the lower PF and none of them appear closed or within vibration distance of closed.
2.) The tilt tilt tilt tilt tilt... sound track plays repeatedly when the points are registering, along with other audio. However the game doesn't actually tilt? (flippers flip, points registered, etc.). This is by far the oddest behavior!
3.) F22 fuse blows on the center top pop-bumper on the lower playfield.

1 month later
#2168 5 years ago

I've been fighting this Black Hole back from the dead for a while, and finally picked it back up tonight. It's 99% of the way there...

The odd behavior I'm seeing is that 50% of the time when a ball gets kicked into the shooter lane, it's fine. There's an interesting light sequence, audio effects followed by the music of the game play.

The other 50% of the time, I see what I've uploaded below. The audio effects are replaced by the Tilt...tilt...tilt...tilt...tilt...tillllllllt sound effect, except the game is not tilted. You can proceed to play the ball normally, but there is no background music.

I've done all of the ground mods here: https://www.flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

How can I resolve this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wxforecaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=wxforecaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.