(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 10 years ago

I guess I am in the club?

TX-Sector just recently repaired and running. It was the cause for an epic Dance Party and pinball league this past weekend. When I restore the game it will be getting a sub upgrade

#130 10 years ago

Is anyone interested in a James Bond? Local guy asking $850 and it looks pretty decent, but he is a known flipper scum.

contact me and I can check it out today or thursday possibly

also, is Bond any fun? I love the idea of timed ball >> it that where safecracker got it from? Bond looks pretty empty for game play?

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I really, really, want a Bond, but shipping would probably kill that one for me...
Plus for that money, it would have to be pretty cherry...

I figured it was a bit over priced. Any fun?

#146 10 years ago

very cool! Any idea what was the first? I wish more games would have timed ball modes.

#164 10 years ago

Very cool Gerry!!!!!!!!!!!

1 month later
#306 10 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I need space in my basement and am seriously thinking of selling my Robo-War.It's a great game but I need to downsize and sell a few.

how much?

#309 10 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Is that price unrealistic?

More than I am willing to pay but that does not mean others won't

3 months later
#474 9 years ago

Picked up a ROBOWAR yesterday. It is dirty and the displays are out but man am I excited to add this one to the lineup. I have been working on it for probably 3 months and it required me to get a bar style dart board to use in trade. It will unfortunately be a while before I can even think about unwrapping it and diagnosing as I have a few pins in the cue as I went on a mini buying spree of projects the past week

#477 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I think you'll like RobWar!
--
Chris Hibler

Thanks. John T told me not to buy it, but I did anyway, LOL

It will be awesome next to TX! If anyone knows of a NOS pf please pm me the info.

#481 9 years ago
Quoted from PotWasher:

Random trivia:
Heard in John Treadau interview that Robo War was result of "remake Sinbad!" management suggestion. Not sure if "Loose some flippers!" was part of that.

I was told the same thing when I spoke with John not too far back. Robowar and another game in that time frame were intended to be similar to popular predecessors.

1 week later
#486 9 years ago

added night moves yesterday which I believe is also an 80B...

Has battery damage and needs some love. Any place to send the board for repair or am I better off sourcing a new one? If new, any suggestions where?

#493 9 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Steve Young had a bunch of NOS playfields for Robowar and Excalibur. I was going to buy both for my games, although I don't need them. Drove up there yesterday to buy some parts for my Bone Busters and asked him where the playfields went. He said they just left. Some guy from Europe bought all the Robowar and Excalibur playfields. Really sucked as he was asking only $275 for the playfields.

Yeah, what a bummer! I saw the robowar pf before i found the game but then gone.... If anyone knows where they are please let me know.

#495 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

added Night Moves yesterday which I believe is also an 80B...
Has battery damage and needs some love. Any place to send the board for repair or am I better off sourcing a new one? If new, any suggestions where?

Where is the best place to send boards for repair? Any places to find good condition ones ready to go for a reasonable price?

#515 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I just use a 3.6V NiCad battery but install it on the end of 4' of speaker wire. Then drop the battery down to the bottom of the game.
Steve

great idea! Where do you rec to get NiCads from?

#517 9 years ago

love the idea and thanks. If you can share any pics that would be great (I am a visual learner).

3 months later
#594 9 years ago

I think I now have 4 80b games?

Tx, Robowar, Excalibur, and Night moves?
I have issues with each at this point and will be doing some trouble shooting over the winter months and will liekly need lots of help

I really love these 80s John T GTBs games!

#602 9 years ago
Quoted from Zorak:

I have a couple good working 80Bs, a Big House and a Bone Busters. I was thinking of putting them on the marketplace but wasn't sure if there'd be any interest. What do you guys think?

Where do you live? I may be interested in bone busters?

5 months later
#668 9 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Well, last weekend I visited THE pinball event for Gottlieb system80 guys in Sorgues, France. Except 4 games, every system 80 game was there. I met very nice people and see some very special games....

Can you provide more info about this event?

This is something I would seriously consider traveling for.

#672 9 years ago

I would LOVE to visit a GTB colleciton like that! Talk about heaven on earth!!!

So many games I have never even seen and want to try.

2 months later
#692 8 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Count me in! Grabbed me an Excalibur and Devil's Dare at PAGG this year. LOVE the sounds on Excalibur.

0519151501.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

congrats! Such a rare and great game!

#695 8 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

Fellow GTB owners, how horribly blasphemous is it for me to redo my machine's theme?
But wait, it's a muscle-dude-in-a-speedo-on-the-backglass-from-1987 Spring Break!
Declare blasphemy or chime in with your suggestions for the new theme.. (I have a few front-runners in mind but am curious of anyone else's ideas)

I personally would never do it unless the game is blown out with a trashed pf, but then again it is your game so I say go for it

#698 8 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Whats your opinion on leds in a game like Excalibur? I think they would work well due the the very color coordinated ruleset?

I have warmwhites in my excalibur and thing it looks great.

Comet warm white frosteds and no ghosting. Looks very nice, along with my clearcoated NOS pf and NOS plastics and NOS ramp (humble brag )

#701 8 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Have a bit of a question for other excaibur owners. When you launch the ball into play, does it go all the way around the ramp? I ask this because mine drops through the cut out part. I put in a stronger spring, a blue one, but it still is not going all the way around! Thanks

It takes some tuning but yes you can make it all the way around.

I actually set mine up so it specifically does not make it without a perfect plunge.

1 week later
#704 8 years ago

You have a great collection going Hazoff!

We have very similar tastes in oddball games.

3 weeks later
#713 8 years ago

sweet looking game!

#718 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Arena, TX sextor, Robowar and Excalibur

I am 3/4 to that. Guess I need to seek out Arena and see if it clicks for me like the other 3 have.

3 weeks later
#748 8 years ago

AWESOME! Jappie!

They dont get much better than TX!

1 month later
#771 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

My Raven resets every now and then during gameplay, any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

watchdog board.

possiblt the tilt or slam switch? I chase a similar problem on my TX sector when I first got it and among other things the slam switch on the door was supposed to be normally closed (stupid logic) and it was to close to open. Cut the switch off and soldered it permenantly closed

4 weeks later
#785 8 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Not really loving my TX-Sector right now. It's giving me kind of intermittent switch problems. Some of the switches just don't work lots of times. It's mostly the drop targets. Stupid thing is, when I close them manually, they work fine. Adjusting them doesn't seem to help. And when it does, it's only a temporary solution. After a few games that switch becomes flaky again. Even replacing the whole switch doesn't always work: switch works, but stays flaky.
Diodes test fine.
Anyone who knows the reason and maybe even a solution for this? Thanks!

sounds like intermittent ground issues???

Have you done the standard ground mods?

1 month later
#832 8 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

with Comet products on a sys80B machine, that can testify to this?

I have specifically used comet 2 SMD frosteds in all of my 80B games and they work and look amazing. NO ghost, No flicker, and just perfect!

#852 8 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

What LED's do you guys use for GI/playfield on the System 1's? The ones i have bene using for all the inserts (premium frosted from Pinball life) do not work for the GI/playfield as they are too wide and won't sit down in the holes. So need something skinnier to do GI/playfield lighting.

I EXCLUSIVELY use COMET for all my GI. I have tried ALL the rest and they are junk. THe Comet 2 SMD frosted look fantastic in warm white (or sunlight; but I still prefer warms I have found). They are also skinny enouh to fit all GTBs I have tried them in. I had a skinny bulb hole a few times and just switched to the bullets in that case.

best part about Comet is they actually reinvest in new bulbs, while most others seem to copy the great inovation taht Comey Pioneers. I say support the best and the company that gives back!

#853 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Great. Let me do some calculations here on my total cost to convert over to these LEDs for my HH

use these. Best bang for the buck and work in all applications. in a bulk pack you cant find a comparable bulb for even close to this price
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-2smd-ct-ft.htm

if you really need super skinny then you can use these bullets. unlikely you need these but they are the skinniest I have found.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-led-bullet.htm

#854 8 years ago

worth note that Comet also has super fast shipping and is running a huge black friday sale (I think he announces at mindight on turkey day)

#858 8 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Be careful with those - they look like the thicker style that do not fit through Gottlieb GI holes..

well...

They fit fine on Tx Sector, Stargate, RoboWar to name a few I have used them on without issue.

#859 8 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Be careful with those - they look like the thicker style that do not fit through Gottlieb GI holes..

really poor form also for a competitor to be bashing a product they have not even tried or have experience with themselves.

#860 8 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

I think you're saying that Comet has created bulb styles and that other companies copy them?

Nothing could be further from the truth... most of the bulbs carried by us and by most of the Pinball LED suppliers were around long before Comet even existed...

actually, MANY of the innovations and new bulb styles and colors from Comet are the first to pinball as of recent. the good stuff is then quickly copies by others it appears. Comet does not really need to come on here and bash other competitor like you are since their products and prices speak for themselves.

Reality is that they do have many supporters because of how awesome they are!

#865 8 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

A lot of people do not realize that Gottliebs have smaller holes in the playfield for GI,

sorry if you missed it...

Quoted from Whysnow:

well...
They fit fine on Tx Sector, Stargate, RoboWar to name a few I have used them on without issue.

#866 8 years ago

Not saying they will fit in every GTB, but so far I have had zero issues, the bulbs look great, and the price cant be beat.

#869 8 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

The playfield in our Solar Ride here is outfitted exclusively with Comet LEDs, GI and all... no issues with fit anywhere.

thanks for more confirmation that another GTB with no issues using the COMET bulbs.

#871 8 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Is this now the "Gottlieb Comet LED Club" thread?

nope, but sometimes people say stupid things and they need to be corrected.

For anyone that wants verification, COMET 2 SMD frosteds are even skinnier than nifty bulbs. They will fit in the vast majority of Gottlieb applications.
PB250007.JPGPB250007.JPG
PB250008.JPGPB250008.JPG

#878 8 years ago

Awesome collection!

4 weeks later
#946 8 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

What would a friend price on a very nice unshopped by playing well tx sector be?

Depends on the 'friend'...

They sell for 2400plus to non-friends

I would write up a contract and get buy backs at a predetermined price. I have passed along enough good deals to friends and had agreed upon buybacks, but then those evaporate it seems. I have come to the point that if hooking someone up (and I want buybacks or the game back option) the deal needs to be in writing.

4 months later
#1043 7 years ago

cross posting in the club.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/33433

I have a Tx-Sector for trade.

#1056 7 years ago

Glad to have you Ran!

Do the ground mods, check your 5v, and likely get ready to repin a few connectors.

4 months later
#1134 7 years ago

GREAT lineup!

#1138 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Just picked up a Robo War. Very clean. I'll power it on tonight but I got it as non booting. Is there a step by step guide to go through to get it running. Boards looks great so thinking Ill start with connectors and fuses.
Anyone have a manual to sell?

start with doing the proper ground mods before you do anything
then check the slam tilt to make sure working correctly (pretty sure it is supposed to be normally closed and they commonly wont stay closed; I suggest clipping and soldering to closed.)
then check watchdog daughter board

IME 80B is rarely a connector or fuse issue. Of course it is worth checking them all to make sure they are good and correct

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.