(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3783 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

The board has 5 inputs ...Sound 1 ,Sound 2 ,Sound 4, Sound 8 and sound 16 which is a single line from the A9 , I'm thinking they use a single binary code to make 16 different sounds so if the board gets a low input on 1 ,2 and 4 it decodes that to play sound 7 ....Am I in the right ball park or am I out in left field ?

Yes, that's correct, but sometimes they send a series of codes that will do alternate functions.... and sometimes the sound board itself decides to play one sound out of 2 or 3.

There was a map somewhere I remember seeing of the 'common' codes (like tilt, no sound, game start, etc.) that are the same for each game but I've no idea where I saw it or how long ago it was.

2 weeks later
#3841 3 years ago

Slide a spackle spreader/joint knife down to work the nails out behind them once you get the head out a little bit you can grab it with your fingers or pliers and pull it out. Once those start to come out there's not much friction holding them in.

You don't want to mangle the metal guide at all once that's messed up it will never sit correctly once it goes back on.

3 weeks later
#3877 3 years ago

The heat sink is also the +5 ground point isn't it? Probably they want it there so there isn't one wire going from the entire bundle back. I'd do whatever John Robertson at flippers.com says in this case since he figured it out in the first place.

#3884 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is he on pinside? Not sure how to ask him. Thanks.

No, he's Rec.games.pinball.

The whole newsgroup, at this point, with maybe 10-12 other people that occasionally post, but most of them are here now, including me.

He's got the info on his website as well:
https://flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

2 weeks later
#3899 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

The game boot right away to all 0's on the display (minus the one not working) but I can coin up and start a game. it plays fine all around after that but I am assume there is some kind of issue with all the 0's and not having the 5 seconds boot up sequence?

System 80 has the 5 second boot time.

80a does not.

The 5 second boot time is widely assumed to be a set of startup diagnostic sequences similar to Bally/Stern of the time - it is not, it's just a delay loop! Cheap.

#3920 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Does anybody see any issue with just drilling those holes through and replacing the bare wooden hole with metal T-Nut receiver for more strength or am I really better off just doweling and re-drilling with the original post.

Nope, I do this all the time. Just make sure your machine post and tnut gets more than a thread or 2 into it - should ideally make it all the way to the bottom.

1 week later
#3931 3 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

What's the recommended cleaning solution for restoring System 1-80B aprons? Dish soap & Water?

Almost everything smears/pulls the ink off, at least on system 1.

#3946 3 years ago

The single strip components are resistor networks, not ICs.

3 weeks later
#4025 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Also in my quest for knowledge I did find out the pascal all in one board needs the original voltages :/

I thought the pascal 4 in 1 didn't use the small transformer just the large one?
The pascal just mpu board would need it since the original power supply is still being used.

2 weeks later
#4068 3 years ago

Ni Wumpf.

#4079 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

This allows you to run a stock rom or edit the game to do whatever you want!

Well.... a full rewrite anyway, for system 80.

Although for system 1, the byte code is documented at:
https://www.flipprojets.fr/Pgol_EN.php
with an assembler at:
https://www.flipprojets.fr/PgolASM_EN.php

1 week later
#4093 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I need help understanding the sys 80 pop bumper boards.

They're designed to take whatever pulse length from the pop skirt switch and give a consistent pop. If the pop switch locks on, it's designed to only give ONE pop, until that input is cleared.

On the original boards, you need to update them per pinwiki:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Updating_the_Pop_Bumper_Driver_Board

There may be individual fuses associated with each, a lot of Gottlieb's do use them. Manual doesn't call it out like some other ones do, though. They are usually in the front right of the machine.

#4094 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Any way to set these sys 80 games to free play? Doesn’t seem like I can pull the replay trick with low high score levels like early stern.

You should be able to, system 80s let you set in 10k increments.

There are free play roms available as well, in addition to 6-7 digit conversions.

#4097 3 years ago

switch 19 off (replay limits), switch 20 off (normal game mode), switch 21 on (replay)

#4099 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay but normal game mode would also enable EBs right? That’s probably my issue. I’m on novelty mode as I don’t want EBs on. Sucks it’s one or the other.

Yeah, that's not gonna work for you then.

#4105 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Not sure about others but Alien Star is 100k increments, so not always achievable in tourneys.

All system 80a are 100k increments. System 80a is actually internally a /10 setup built off of system 80 and they just add a dummy 0 to the 1's digit. (Similar to how Alien Poker did it).

That's why 7 digit 80a games have '00' instead of '0' at game start.

For tournaments there are people that have the keys so just keep loading up the credits or do one of the non-invasive methods, or put the free play roms in.

1 week later
#4151 3 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

can two brand new chips from a pinball supplier be bad?

Very possible if they are from the same lot. There's counterfeit chips everywhere!! I only buy pulls, erase and reprogram them myself.

1 week later
#4165 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

The bulb was out on the 6k bonus and I replaced it and now it is on all the time? I have never had a bulb be on all the time and am not sure where to start troubleshooting.

Q39 or Z10 are bad on your driver board.

#4178 3 years ago

pops on system 80 are controlled by individual pop bumper driver boards. Try swapping one for another, it's likely either you have a blown fuse for that pop if they are individually fused like a lot of gottlieb's are or the pop board is bad (usually the one shot chip, passives, or the transistor.)

there is an upgrade that needs to be done to those boards as well pinwiki has the details

#4188 3 years ago

See if the fuse blowing follows one particular pop bumper driver board. It's is most likely a bad driver transistor on the one that drives the bad pop.

#4205 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

I’m realizing that the actual pin my wire is touching is connected to the trace that i soldered onto. So I think my question should assume that the head of the pin that i am touching is not directly connected to the trace i am joining...

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would back it away and only be on the trace to be safe.

They're both connected, it doesn't matter. If someone is working on the board in the future and needs to desolder that pin, the ground wire will probably come off anyway because it's so close. Since on the actual driver board you're doing the ground mod from the topside of the board (IIRC that's the way most of the directions that are worded....) you don't want to get anywhere near any of the chip or component leads since that will be make that component more difficult to remove in the future. Unless you're doing the style of ground mod where you actually attach the ground lead to the component.

Quoted from tyking:

I see so it’s a matter of there being no difference noticeable now when the machine is okay, but if their were to be a change in future and the machine is not running properly, and I do the mod then, that’s when I would notice the difference and see what the ground mod had corrected? Moreover, the mod is there to prevent the machine from not running properly, so that I will never see the day that a difference is noticeable.

The purpose of the ground mod is to make sure the ground potential doesn't rise (get a voltage on it) due to resistance in the connections - which causes transistors driving lamps and solenoids to lock on. If you do the mod properly it will never lock on due to this in the future.

Don't forget to mod the under playfield driver transistors as well if your game uses them with the pull-up voltage, it's more common to get locked on under playfield transistors than on the driver board IMO. (This is NOT referring to the pop bumper driver board ones - it's for the ones that are on little L brackets that use a lamp driver instead of a solenoid driver to run.... for instance on black hole there are a couple to fire various kicker coils like ball release, the tube exit, etc.)

#4225 3 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Can the sound card generate tones on its own or will it always be sent what to play from the controller board?

Yes, S2 on sound card plays attract theme when in game over approx every 6 minutes.

Quoted from srcdube:

I disconnected the sound card and the game seems to play solid without resetting.

Likely your power supply is marginal and removing the extra +5 load from the sound board is giving the MPU board more headroom.

I see from earlier you only have 4.8 volts is that at the 5v test points on the boards or at the power supply? Adjust the power supply pot to give you +5 at the boards they are running, not at the power supply.

#4230 3 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

ould the panel that I have been offered be used for the Striker? If yes: Are modifications needed? And if yes, How hard would these be for somebody that knows how to handle a soldering iron and measure a voltage but is by no means a professional pinball technician by heart?

I don't see why not, just double check all the voltages are going where they should. Gottlieb parts catalog for 1987 doesn't even list differing transformers.

1 week later
#4272 3 years ago

Parts catalog lists 17908 as the generic flipper coil stop.

It's nice when Marco lists the games it works in, but obviously they don't have them all listed for this part.

Like chuckwurt says, you could just get it from PBR and know you're getting the correct part.

1 week later
#4289 3 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Replace the IDC ones with real connectors.

I think that's what everyone is looking for, source of the connectors.

2 weeks later
#4371 3 years ago

pintech nvram 62256 module works on Rottendog system 80 replacement MPU fine, but you have to remove the battery terminals.

I really dislike having to change batteries periodically on my games so I replace all of them with NVRam where possible.

1 week later
#4405 3 years ago

Those are your switch matrix diodes.

2 months later
#4513 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Ice Fever is blowing the 1/4A fuse for the displays right at power up.

Power off, disconnect all displays, reconnect one display at a time (still power off!)

Test between connecting displays - do each individually then additive once fuse/breaker blows, that display is likely bad (6184 drivers)

#4520 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

According to his account (I've not yet seen it in person), the targets are not resetting on new ball.

Could be fuse (it's individual for each drop reset on sinbad).... could be burned up solenoid driver. This part of system 1 is no different than any other solenoid drive on other makers' games. Transistor or predriver blown, blown coil, wires off, connections, etc. If you get back into the mpu board, you might run into an issue if it's one of the spider chips (u4) - if that's the case he should just get a replacement mpu as the spider chips just aren't available.

2 weeks later
#4569 2 years ago

Marco specialties sells them search for cherry switch.

#4571 2 years ago

Wrong one though, you want the momentary contact one. I couldn't link from my tablet but here it is:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-2141

#4573 2 years ago

The one you pictured has a pull out 'on' circuit which wouldn't be correct for your game it would probably work though as it still has a momentary push.

The one I linked (and there looked to be another similar) is just a momentary push button.

This type of switch is (or used to be...) ridiculously common on not just pinball/video games, but in a LOT of other things. Subway turnstiles used them for instance, as well as all sorts of industrial stuff. If you look at other suppliers they will be cheaper (probably about $3) but I find it easiest to just get them from pinball suppliers I have 8-9 of them in my parts bins. They don't get a lot of use in pinball machines vs. their estimated lifespans (usually between 100k-1m activations) so they don't really wear out.

1 month later
#4594 2 years ago
Quoted from vipe155:

Hi everyone,
I'm going through and piecing together my MGOW I've been working on, and noticed that the coin door needs more work than I thought. The main problem is the slotted piece for the lock lever is broken off. I attached a picture of my non-broken HH door and the broken off MGOW one.
I assume if you take the door apart this might be replaceable, but I'm not sure. Even if it is, where would I find the part anyway? I'm guessing it would only be available from a parted out door.
[quoted image][quoted image]

pinball resource would be the go to place for the part

#4596 2 years ago
Quoted from vipe155:

I looked before posting but didn't see anything like that. I suppose I could ask and see what kind of response I get.

Most of what they have isn't listed on their website.

3 weeks later
#4637 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I repinned A1-J3 and A1-J2 (the right 2 plugs on the mpu for the displays)
I turned the game on and the credit display looks good now (need more testing)
But the score displays still all show missing segments

Since all displays are missing the same segments it shouldn't be the pins at the displays, I would think. So either I repinned something bad, or there is some logic on the mpu thats bad?

You are missing the D1 signal for sure on the score displays since it's completely out. (The credit display doesn't use that strobe... but the game also splits those up into 2 different strobes (D1/D9), D1 for p1/p3, and D9 for p2/p4) The segments ('c' appears to be the one that's out, but not on all your digits). The segments are split into 2 groups as well, players 1/2, and the credits display, then the other group is p2/p4. Oddly the c segment isn't out in the first digit though.

Have you tried just one display at a time to see if one is pulling the other segments down? The system 1 manual isn't much help as it just says "replace control board" haha.... yeah. There's discrete logic chips coming out of the U6 spider chip that you could test the inputs/outputs on with a logic probe, but it would seem odd that both would have failed.

1 week later
#4648 2 years ago

if it's the normally open type bend the switch out of the way or cover it with tape/heat shrink.

If it's the normally closed type put the leafs together and wire tie them

1 month later
#4691 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Saw a video on Youtube where they mention this board should be removed as it causes issues with the game. Anyone know if it is fine to leave in if no apparent problems?

The reset board monitors one of the address lines on the mpu and resets it if there's no activity for a bit. If it works fine just leave it but if you start to get random resets, pull it off.

Make sure that's actually the board in question as well - GTB/PRM loved to have special helper boards all over the place game to game. The board you pictured doesn't look anything like the reset board in my one game that has it.

#4703 2 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Is this some kind of corrupt rom issue?

Sounds like your audit data is corrupt, since the battery is dead you can't depend on it coming up with anything resembling correct data. So get the battery going first, then maybe think about replacing the battery backed ram if it persists.

The part of the rom that would control this is in one of the spider chips so you should hope it's not the rom issue. The eprom on system 1 just contains switch scripts, and you know they work since the game plays correctly.

There's no checking on gottlieb games of this era in regards to 'proper' segments (i.e., bad data to displays that other maker's decoder chips reject). So it's displaying the corrupted data as best as it can (missing segments and all....)

#4708 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

There also seems to be a coil and relay on the coin door that directly links to one of the chimes firing (which is also the only chime that works). Is that stock on these Sys1 games with chime units?

You mean the power feed chain? That would be the only wire that would go from coil to coil in the cabinet (chimes and coin lockout on door)

2 weeks later
#4755 2 years ago

Only one of the spring break says it's 1 ball.... so that one.

#4757 2 years ago

It showed when I hovered over it it was the third one over for me.

4 weeks later
#4893 2 years ago

Nvram. You have stuff in there because it's not necessarily cleared. Zero each entry out manually.

1 week later
#4955 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Is there a source for a game IC? I am working on a corroded MPU board, and it is missing an IC labeled "C". I want to try this in Joker Poker. Thanks

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/#roms

to convert to 2716

2 months later
#5070 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Quick question for all you System 1 pros. Are the coil sleeves used in these games the same as Williams games, with the possible exception of length? Thank you!

Yes

3 weeks later
#5106 2 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I’m at the beginning of the learning curve on Gottlieb machines and noticed this taped in the backbox. There also appears to be some cut & taped wires.

Was this recommended and does it present any problems if I opt for a pascal 4-in-1 or replacement mpu?

4 in one wouldn't need it/use it. Sounds like they just split off the power before the mpu instead of chaining it in. Follow the wires back to see where the power comes in for it.

Probably a 90s solution to the grounding issues GTB games have.

#5144 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Is there a list of what each dip switch does on tx sector?
The energy level resets after each ball. I assume this is a hard setting. I'd like to turn it off if possible.

dip 32

#5158 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I've always been a bit confused concerning liberal/conservative - for whom are they speaking? The player or the operator?

It refers to play time, so it's from both player and operator.

Don't forget moderate! LMC. Most games ship with stuff in M.

1 week later
#5197 2 years ago

Pascal boards fire the relays at bootup iirc.

1 week later
#5215 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

option 6 is off for me. If it was on is this how it would work?

Try reloading the defaults it's possible to power up the game after installing batteries or nvram and the defaults aren't loaded unless you tell the game to do it.

4 weeks later
#5245 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

I wanted to change my Big House from 5 balls to 3 balls, but I noticed changing the dip switches does not change anything.
What could cause this?

Bad dip.

1 week later
#5286 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I don't understand how Sys 80 handles the lamp drivers when they are used to drive a relay coil instead of a lamp. Looking at Black Hole and Haunted House schematics I can't figure out which of the 'L's are specifically designated for driving coils at 28v. The two games use different low-number lamp driver #s for various relay coils. Which 'L' transistors on the driver board are for driving relay coils and which are for driving lamps? Is a relay coil the biggest coil that can be run on one of these lamp drivers?

Relays are the largest coil that could run. Anything larger does the under playfield transistor to drive a larger coil.

1 month later
#5329 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where is the NVRAM on my picture?

Would have been on the upper left but you didn't picture it.

#5332 1 year ago

You don't have nvram on yours that's a regular 5101. But the transistor is still in the circuit, I'm not sure what you'd need to do there to fix it. It's one of the surface mount ones to the right of the socket I don't know which one though.

#5334 1 year ago

The pinitech and likely the anypin 5101 will work on gottlieb boards - something about a second /CE being needed, or inverted - not sure. I just get the pinitech ones when they're in stock for all my games since they will work on all my boards.

Your existing 5101 might be bad as well have you tried changing it? Looked like it's soldered in on your board... bummer.

#5340 1 year ago

This is the one that should work:
https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

2 weeks later
#5377 1 year ago
Quoted from crussell:

On a side note the pins on the daughter board are looking pretty rough . I’ve heard that this board can be the cause of a lot of issues.

The issues are usually cracked solder on the header pins, and people ripping out eyelets, through holes, and traces when removing on the main cpu board.

2 months later
#5513 1 year ago
Quoted from Geekdude:

Does anyone have a thought on how one might adapt the System 1 edge connector plugs coming from the playfield to something else?

Jamma adapter finger board.

3 months later
#5827 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Looking at the article, it looks like the BHHHC articles were just a collection of these bulletins and other tips

They were. The compilers of it got really angry when people shared the info too, as if they had wrote it.

#5832 1 year ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Must ask, what motor is this?

Spirit has a spinning disc in the back box.

2 months later
#5966 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

If this is not the correct way to achieve no extra balls, would anyone be able to advise how, please?

No way to do it on stock boards.
Maybe rewire that switch to something else.

#5968 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

If there is a single rollover switch awarding extra balls you could just cut one of the wires to that switch?

It is, the 2nd rollover lights for EB when you get the 3 bank down IIRC. I'd probably just paralell the switch with another one that doesn't score extra stuff, and pull the bulb out.

#5970 1 year ago

Disconnect the wires from the EB switch and label them. There might be two on each lug keep them connected together. Then just run two jumpers from the other switch to the one you removed the wires from. Document this somehow like a tag that hangs on the harness so people in the future know.

Gottlieb paralleled switches like ten point standups all the time.
Don't double up lamps unless they're LEDs or you verify they're driven by a larger transistor.

1 month later
#6032 1 year ago
Quoted from ravve:

1. One of the things Im investigating is the Q/T relays, I am not sure where to find these, perhaps the black boxes circled in the pic?

No, those are bridge rectifiers. The QT relays are mounted on the underside of the PF near the top.

#6062 1 year ago
1 month later
#6134 11 months ago

Reset board not needed on working system

1 month later
#6170 10 months ago
Quoted from Jappie:

1. What's your opinion on Gottlieb's approach to this? Safe or unsafe?
2. If unsafe, any ideas on how to create a durable safer situation?

1> Everyone did it that way then, with the risks involved as you indicate.

2> Use a plastic lifter like Bally did instead. Less likely to wear and break than the fishpaper insulator.
Put heat shrink on the terminals. You can even put heat shrink on most of the switch blade and just leave the 5v contact exposed at the end.

The biggest thing is NEVER adjust switches with the power live. One slip=blown chips

2 months later
#6287 7 months ago
Quoted from koji:

Coincidence if you mean every time . That's just a 10pt switch which normally doesnt cause the sound... Maybe every nth 10pt switch tho would make sense to me is that what you mean? Thank you.

Since they were mimicking chimes it's likely when it causes the hundred to go it's activating both the ten and hundred input at the same time on the sound board which probably plays the other sound.

1 week later
#6319 7 months ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Added some more to my clubness with the addition of an 80B Bad Girls recently, to go with the system 1, system 80 and system 80A in my collection. This is my first 80B.
[quoted image]
Bad Girls boots and plays, but had some weirdness with scoring and sounds. I'm wondering how much of that may be related to this:
[quoted image]
Is there anything else besides bad PROM that could cause the error, or should I just go ahead and order a new chip? Posted in the Bad Girls club thread, but not much going on over there.
Thanks.

It means its failing its checksum, so if you had an eprom burner you could read what you have in and compare to a known good copy (you will have to search the web for these... they are out there.)

You would have more issues if you had addressing or data bus issues (which might also report this) but if the game boots and does something it's likely a corrupt eprom.

#6321 7 months ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

thanks for the quick response. I do not have an eprom burner, but have been interested in getting one. Is there one you would recommend?

minipro tl866cs but they are discontinued in the format that does all the early chips. The II version doesn't do the higher voltages needed. Also, it doesn't do 2532 out of the box you have to build an adapter. It will do the eeprom equivalent of 2716's the 2816 so that would solve that there, but some 2732's use a higher voltage as well.

I keep meaning to buy one of the mcmall ones that everyone else seems to use, but just haven't got around to it yet.

You will need an eraser as well.

I can't live without an eprom burner since I do so many rom mods/test burns.

#6325 7 months ago

depending on what I'm looking for, ebay, jameco (grab bag is a good deal you have to sometimes clean off label and erase) or amazon.

I have a 40 capacity eraser, I had the cheaper style pictured, but they only do 4-5 at a time.

1 month later
#6360 5 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

1) Is it possible that the gold flashing is worn away creating a continuity problem? Can this be repaired without replacing switches? Could I use something like brasso to clean the contacts safely?

You'd have to replace the contacts. Cleaning a contact where the plating is gone isn't going to work long term.

Quoted from mbaumle:

2) Worst case scenario, does anyone know the part number used for the switches in a drop target assembly for 80B? My gut is just telling me to wholesale replace the switches all with new ones to put the problem to bed forever.

Just replace the blades/contacts, you can buy just blades and contacts from pinball resource and other places (the other places usually get them from PBR so go to the source). It starts to get very expensive when you buy already built switches, but the blades and contacts are relatively cheap. You don't need a special tool to crimp new contacts in, the stem is made of brass and you use regular pliers to do it - protect the contact surface by wrapping a cloth around one jaw of your pliers.

#6362 5 months ago

You can sometimes do that, as long as the hole doesn't get any bigger. That's odd that the switches are plastic blocks I didn't think gottlieb ever used that type but hey, they're in there so I guess so.

You can also just grab some salvaged switches for parts. You'd still need the new contacts of course.

1 month later
#6412 4 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Is there any reason that pop bumper driver boards weren't used for slingshots? I assume there was sort of cost consideration at the least, but I sort of imagine that slings are more likely to fail locked on than a pop bumper to a degree (i.e. when a ball gets trapped behind the rubber)? Has anyone ever tried converting their slings to operate on a pop bumper driver board?

I did but on a black knight, not a gottlieb game; figured that the special solenoid circuit wasn't really a one-shot so I wanted the good pulse and to avert some locking on. Turned out I hated it (it was too 'crisp' if that makes sense). But there's no reason it wouldn't work.

With the newer replacements that take up less space it's even better. I hand built a 3 pop driver in one board for BK (pop and 2 sling control).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.