(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixtyfourbits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2951 4 years ago

Has anyone seen a gottlieb 80a system with custom sounds/music? I see that Applejuice is working on a custom soundboard for system 80b and system 3, but I was hoping to see some options for a system 80a. It wouldn’t need to be fancy. Even one music track and 3 sound effects would be enough.
I’m starting to think a wav trigger would be my best bet, although I have yet to find a step by step setup writeup to guide me.

2 months later
#3052 4 years ago

Question:
I found these switches on my system 80A sound board, and am not sure how they should be set. Should they both be pressed towards 1 & 2, should they be pressed towards open, should only one be open, or ?
I currently have no sounds or music so that’s why I’m asking if the switches are correct.
Thanks!

8C24CBA3-99EB-4044-8BDC-04768106F85F (resized).jpeg8C24CBA3-99EB-4044-8BDC-04768106F85F (resized).jpeg

91163F11-4B76-4787-9EA6-3772A5AE801B (resized).jpeg91163F11-4B76-4787-9EA6-3772A5AE801B (resized).jpeg

5 months later
#3301 4 years ago

Heres a bit of a random question that I’m hoping someone might be able to answer.
I recently picked up a hot shots. It plays great, minus the accelerator. The previous owner removed the accelerator motor, but he just found it so I’m going back to get it tomorrow. It looks like it was removed due to the fan blades breaking off the Center (I’ll attach pics as it sounds odd).
My question is, do I need to weld the fan blades back on? My dad is a great welder and said it would be no problem to do so, I’m just questioning if it’s actually necessary. Do you suppose that the motor / inside the cabinet actually gets that hot?

C8B97A7A-D997-4ECB-9579-1629FBFBE79A (resized).jpegC8B97A7A-D997-4ECB-9579-1629FBFBE79A (resized).jpeg

87C11DD6-658A-4281-AB70-7B29B5BBFAEA (resized).jpeg87C11DD6-658A-4281-AB70-7B29B5BBFAEA (resized).jpeg

#3305 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses.
With me being in Canada, and this being a fan that will likely be hard/costly to find and ship, it sounds like my best bet is to install a tiny fan in the cabinet and point it at the motor. I'll try that route first.
Thanks again!

#3312 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice about it everyone.
My dad is a very experienced welder, so I think I'll have him try to weld it. I really want to have the accelerator running asap, as I have the pin set up at my parents place for the Christmas holidays, and everyone is excited to play it there.
With Christmas being a day away, I don't have time to order a fan off ebay, and I live in a small town so am not likely to find anything local. If it doesn't work, I'll look at getting a small computer style fan rigged below the motor to blow air on it, and then possibly ordering a proper replacement fan in the new year.
Thanks again for all the input everyone, I appreciate it.

2 years later
#5296 2 years ago

I was really starting to miss having a gottlieb in the collection, and this past Saturday I was luck enough to remedy that.
I drove through a snow storm and got home around 2:30am with two new pins. My first em (prospector) and a new to me gottlieb, diamond lady. It’s a bit of a project but should clean up quite nicely, the vitrigraph playfield looks to have almost zero wear. Currently it rests in project row in the garage until I can get it moved to the basement.
Also Shoutout to chuckwurt for his diamond lady stream. It was a big help/influence in deciding to buy this diamond lady.

DE064D69-4FD5-42E7-A0EC-A6429611AB5C (resized).jpegDE064D69-4FD5-42E7-A0EC-A6429611AB5C (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#5311 1 year ago

Might be a bit of a silly question, but I finally got a better look in the backbox of my diamond lady, and it appears I’m missing the board/component circled. What exactly is it? I don’t have a manual for diamond lady and couldn’t find a PDF online. Any help would be awesome.

0E5483BB-EC4E-4F48-8A88-E267CFE9492D (resized).jpeg0E5483BB-EC4E-4F48-8A88-E267CFE9492D (resized).jpeg

D7729416-AE9A-4113-97CD-B91FAAA94C0D (resized).jpegD7729416-AE9A-4113-97CD-B91FAAA94C0D (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#5351 1 year ago

I recently picked up a diamond lady that was missing a power supply. I was lucky enough to find one, and I installed it last night. I checked the voltages, and have 12 volts going in and 5 volts coming out, so it seems to be doing its job. With that said, the game turns on and everything lights up solid, but it doesn't go into attract mode or start a game. I checked the slam tilt in the coin door and it seems fine. I checked the voltages going to the cpu and they seem fine. When powered on there is nothing shown on the displays. Any suggestions on things to test next? I do have a good friend who is knowledgeable that is helping me out through videochats, but thought I'd ask here too.

#5353 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Ball (s) in the trough?

Thanks for the suggestion, I never knew that could be a reason for the issue. I do have the two balls in the trough, but will double check once I'm home to make sure they aren't sitting funny or anything like that.

#5355 1 year ago
Quoted from FTN_Ferry:

sixtyfourbits you says when you start the game (power on) you see the lights flashing but no display ? The display connectors can have a false connection.
When you power on there should be display illumination.
May be you can add credits.. you should here the coin sound..
If you do and there are balls , push start and the music should begin. If still no display check connectors .. sytem80b is connector trouble..
Keep us posted
FTN_Ferry

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify that when I power it on, the GI and inserts light up solid, no flashing / attract mode. The display does not light at all.
I tried pressing start but there was nothing. I feel my next step is to figure out what is preventing it from going into attract mode, and then from there getting the game to start.

#5358 1 year ago
Quoted from FTN_Ferry:

Does the soundboard has a flashing red led.. or is is it not flashing..
If not flashing, steady lights , no display, probably no 'clunk' at power up.. it seems to be a mpu problem..
Does the mpu has corrosion on the board where the battery is/was?
FTN_FERRY

That’s interesting. First power up with the power supply in it was solid, and after playing around and testing more things it’s blinking now. Which is it supposed to be? Thanks in advance.
I should add that it’s battery was removed at some point and a remote one was wired on.

#5359 1 year ago

Double post

#5361 1 year ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Sounds to me like the MPU is not booting. I had a similar issue with my Spiderman. For me, it was one of the RIOTs U4,U5,or U6 I can't remember which one.
Also, how's the MPU corrosion situation?

I haven't found any corrosion on any of the boards yet, but I'll take a closer look again after work. I'll also look into the RIOTs u4, u5, and u6.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I'm thinking I'll send the board away to get fixed. I was recommended someone who has a great track record of repairing all makes and types of boards, and was quoted a very fair price. Fixing a system 80b mpu is a bit above my head, so thought this would be the best route for me. Thanks to everyone here for the advice and suggestions!

3 weeks later
#5398 1 year ago

Just to update since I last posted. Yesterday I finally got Diamond Lady to boot up and play!
I first had to find a power source for it.
Then I sent the MPU away to get tested/fixed. The gentleman who fixed it did a fantastic job, and did the following:
- Replaced R8 1 x 180 ohm, Replaced VR1 1 x 1N5225
- Replaced U4 1 x R6532P, Replaced EPROM Daughter Board
- 1 x Versatile System 80 / 80A / 80B EPROM Adapter Board
- Installed Lithium Battery Upgrade Kit & Tested 100% OK
Then I went through and tested/checked all the fuses on the underside of the playfield, as well as at the bottom of the cabinet. 3 were blown, and quite a few spots had the wrong size of fuse in them. So once I put properly sized, working fuses in where needed, it booted up and played a game!
I still have some work to do, as I have one target bank, the kickback, and the one upper kicker not working. But overall I'm very excited for the progress made so far.

2 months later
#5642 1 year ago

Hoping someone here more knowledgeable than I might be able to help me with this.

I’ve been working away on my diamond lady, and it almost plays 100%. The last remaining issue is the left side 5 target drop bank. When I got the game, it was not working. It came with a Williams coil in it instead of a gottlieb coil. The numbers are: gottlieb 5194. williams A-2-23 750.

I sadly don’t have a proper gottlieb coil to replace the Williams. My question is, is the Williams close enough that it’s a suitable replacement or is it a bad idea to try? I’ll watch on power up to see if locks on, but would hate to do board damage by taking a risk if it’s not a suitable replacement. I just got the boards fixed, and had that coils power disconnected until I had a better idea if it’s ok to power up and try now.

#5662 1 year ago

Thanks to those here who offered advice for my diamond lady drop target coil question. It’s working perfectly, but leads me to a new question. When I plunge the ball, it should start one if three mini modes. Aces, spinners, or one other. But most times when I plung, it does nothing. The odd time it will say aces, but the two targets will not be dropped to expose the standing target. Sometimes spinners are lit. But it seems that no matter what, the drop targets necessary for modes do not drop. The banks reset normally when a new ball is started. So I’m trying to sort out where the problem may lie. I tested switches and it says all are open. I also recently had all the board serviced. I read the manual but didn’t see anything to suggest it’s a dip switch setting. Any ideas?

3 months later
#5878 1 year ago

Hey everyone. So I have a gottlieb diamond lady pin, that I have mostly fixed up. I had the boards professionally repaired, and the game plays fully. The only issue is that sometimes things don't act as they should. For example, sometimes if I hit a rollover switch, two drop targets will drop. Other times if I hit a different switch, the drop target between the two flippers will rise. Or I've had the Aces mode start mid game for no reason. Anyone have any thoughts what might cause wonky behavior like this? Thanks!

9032BE77-2F94-4484-9F02-A569203738A0 (resized).jpeg9032BE77-2F94-4484-9F02-A569203738A0 (resized).jpeg

#5879 1 year ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Hey everyone. So I have a gottlieb diamond lady pin, that I have mostly fixed up. I had the boards professionally repaired, and the game plays fully. The only issue is that sometimes things don't act as they should. For example, sometimes if I hit a rollover switch, two drop targets will drop. Other times if I hit a different switch, the drop target between the two flippers will rise. Or I've had the Aces mode start mid game for no reason. Anyone have any thoughts what might cause wonky behavior like this? Thanks!
[quoted image]

I've had a bit of input from others, and it looks like a good starting place is to test the diodes on the boards under the playfield.

#5881 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would read up on the rules. Everything you mentioned seems intended behavior.
The roll over behind the left drops will drop the middle drops of that bank.
The two diamond drops right above either sling will raise the drop in between the flippers.
I can’t remember how the ace mode starts during the ball, but it can definitely start on the plunge.

This is good to know, I appreciate you chiming in. I'll go read up on the rules, and also check the diode board tonight.
Another issue I have noticed is that of the start-up modes, light spinners and aces modes both work, but the third mode, where certain targets drop and a countdown jackpot starts, doesn't play correctly. the targets drop, but it never runs the countdown jackpot.

edit:
you were definitely correct on both the rollover dropping the middle targets, as well as both lower targets raising the drop target between the flippers. The aces mode is started during the game briefly when the target between the flippers is knocked down.
Now I just need to solve my one plunge mode not working correctly, and I'll be set. Thanks again for reminding me to read the ruleset lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixtyfourbits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.