(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgarriott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4693 2 years ago

Hey guys got a question on a 80B Robowar. Been working on a robowar and making progress, going in diagnostics switch test i had everythng working. I started a game to check all was good and then it went into tilt switch closed. did some research and found that it was likely Z14. Replaced Z14 tonight, put the board back in, fired it up and all was well again.
Attract mode and sound was all good, lamp test was good, solenoids and flashers were good, went to switch test and not all good. It was showing that the (1) and (3 ) switches were closed, so 1, 3, 11, 13, 21, 23, 31, 33, ect.

What would cause this ? And do I need to replace Z13 as well? Thanks for the help.

#4696 2 years ago

Wow. Thanks for that explanation. I did notice also that the left selection button does not work now. I tried using the button when i was doin the solenoid test and it was not working.
I have some 7404s so I may swap those out.
I could send ya a link to the robowar schematic if that would better help.

Quoted from REGNE:

Have to preface by mentioning I don't have the Robowar schematics. I'm referencing Spiderman and Touchdown.
You have an issue with Strobe 1 (1,11,21,31...) & Strobe 3 (3,13,23,33,...)
Strobe 1: tracing from the switch matrix... into A1J6-pin2 then to Z12(7404) - 3 out to 4 - origin is U4
Strobe 3: tracing from the switch matrix... into A1J6-pin4 then to Z11(7404) - 11 out to 10 - origin is U4
Two bad gates on two different chips?? It's plausible. You can use the diode test procedure found in Pinwiki.
Bad U4. I doubt it because all else seems OK. Is U4 hot to the touch? (compared to U5 and U6)
I've found some bad 7404s before, but I have to also lead you through the coin door and to the diode board at the bottom of the cabinet. You could have some closed coin switches or some bad diodes (1N270) I'll try to explain.
Strobe 1:
- A1J6-pin2 also connects to A1J5-pin3 (411 (Y-Br-Br) wire color and then eventually 511 (G-Br-Br) wire color)
- Left coin switch is also on Strobe 1.
Strobe 3:
- A1J6-pin4 also connects to A1J5-pin5 (433 (Y-O-O) wire color and then eventually 533 (G-O-O) wire color)
- Center coin switch is also on Strobe 3. (but Touchdown doesn't have a center coin sw.)
This is where the differences occur. Touchdown goes to the coin door first then to the diode board. Spiderman looks to go through the diode first.
This may be a bit different for Robowar, but hope this helps you out.[quoted image]

#4701 2 years ago

Im working on replacing Z13 Z11 and Z12. Thanks for the info. I did check the diode board and it looks good. Ill report back once the chips are in.

#4704 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

RGarriott
definitely Return 1 & 3. Check/replace Z13 (7400)
Not sure about the left selection button though.
(Ah ha! See below.)

REGNE

All the chips have been replaced. Just a question where do pins in red go back to? I messed the pad up on pin 4 and cant test continuity. If i need a jumper where does it land?
And what does the MR stand for?

5363A451-A73F-4E45-8E90-ECA903DDA7AA (resized).jpeg5363A451-A73F-4E45-8E90-ECA903DDA7AA (resized).jpeg
#4713 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Does this occur now that you’ve replaced Z14? Or is it working now?
If your test switch works strobe0 and return7 are ok.
Left “advance” switch is also on strobe0, but it needs return6. (Return6 goes to Z14 on MPU) Z14 has already been replaced.
If your other switches work on return6 (Outhole, Rh flipper,etc) and it is just this one switch that doesn’t work…
Check the left advance switch itself, the connection 9 at the 1A7 diode board, or the 1N270 diode is bad.
If nothing on return6 works…maybe check your work at Z14.[quoted image]

REGNE
Ok. Left advance button works. I made my jumper repair for pin 4. Went back through z11-z14 and verified each pin had continuity to its proper destination. I made sure that each pin on the chip wasnt accidentally bridged to another pin or trace. Still getting returns closed for row 1 and 3.

U4 bad?

I have verified the resistor and the cap for both rows. All is good.

I have a probe but not sure what im looking for. I giess I would be checking pin 11 for row 3 and 9 for row 1. While the game is running should they be high low or pulsing?

2 weeks later
#4765 2 years ago

Im in the same boat right now. applejuice from Mypinballs makes an 80B mpu, i got in contact with them 2 wks ago and he said they will be putting together an order very soon to keep checking the website.

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Does any online shop have aftermarket MPU’s for System 80B? I ordered a Swemmer a few years ago, but can’t find any place with much of anything in stock now.

#4766 2 years ago

Agent_Hero I also looked into doing a run of LISY80 boards yesterday. Like everything else it looks like the prices have gone up to have those done. Its still way cheaper but would need to have a few other people wanting a board. If there is some interest Id be willing to do the order.

#4773 2 years ago

Hey guys looking for some help on my Robo-War . Solenoid #3 is not working. This is used when a ball locks and then you can start multiball after hitting a stand up under the ramp.

Grounding the coil fires it.

F13 fuse is good.

Switch 76 is good.

In test mode, probing Z29 pin 10 pulses low and Pin 11 pulses high. Pretty sure thats correct.

Next down the list is the driver board, I made sure there is continuity between MPU and driver boards. Q54 tested good but i changed it anyway.

Here is where it gets alittle fuzzy for me. I checked Q3 driver on the 1A16 driver board and it checks out along with Q4 and Q7. Continuity from up stream is all good.

During game play when a ball is locked, the stargate lights and sound operate as its waiting for the standup target to be hit, once its hit it starts as if multiball is happening but it never kicks out.

Anyone have any ideas or should I just try and replace the Q3 transistor on the 1A16 board? What actually activates the hole kicker, is it the "S" coil?

Thanks for the help

#4774 2 years ago

Well i just found and changed out the Q3 transistor and thats a no go. Still nothing.

1 week later
#4809 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Any current sources for 27" Gottlieb legs? I need to get a set for a Buck Rogers. Has Williams legs on it for now but it is a bit too tall. Are they going to be reproduced?
If I can get some decent chrome ones I can evaporust them or if I can get decent painted legs I can always repaint them. Anyone have an extra old set stashed away?

I bought a set from PBResource a month or so ago. The web site says out of stock but he has some stored back.

#4813 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Where is the best place to get these?
Thanks!!
[quoted image]

PBResource. Just ordered some 2 wks ago for my robowar. They look good but what a pain in the a$$. They are hard to get on and even harder to get off.

#4823 2 years ago

I ordered that tool from PBResource when I ordered the nuts.

1 week later
#4868 2 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Hopefully I dont get shot for this but I had to save this Alien Star. Or as I'm calling it now "Alien Scar"! The playfield was too bad to save so I decided to sand it down to a flat surface and then cleared it. I figured I'd get it all working that way when/if they repop the playfield I'll be ready. I actually like how it turned out and I am happy to have a playing game that I had been looking for for a very long time. Next up is Ice Fever. I'm using rubber rings I had on hand so thats a little hodge podge at the moment and PBResourse sent me the wrong caps but other than that its done for now.
-Jim
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I dig it.

1 week later
#4898 2 years ago

Hey guys, I got a weird thing happening in my Robo-War . I am getting the Flight again extra ball after I start the game on ball 1 or 2. I have looked in the dip settings but do not see anything that would cause this. Anyone had this happen?

#4900 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Is it just the light stuck on, or are you actually getting an extra ball? If it is just the light, it is probably a bad transistor.

I actually get an extra ball

#4901 2 years ago

It varies when it comes on also. It may come on right as ball one starts or later during the ball. And even waits till ball 2.

3 months later
#5078 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Question: is there a group like this for Sys3 games that I'm missing? I'd really love to get into understanding some of the programming of the roms on that system and would love someone to talk to.
(sub-text, Silver Slugger is a great game but the rules suck so hard. Looking to make them better)

Love Silver slugger, that would be very cool if someone was out there doing new code for these games.

#5079 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Would love it if someone did custom roms for that.

Hey Chuck chuckwurt are you going to jump on that Alien Star up for sale in your neck of the woods?

1 month later
#5173 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Getting these pins out is a pita
Anyone got some advice for me?
[quoted image]

I bought the pin tool that slides in to press the tab down but i didnt think it worked to well. I ended up drilling a small hole in the connector where the tab is, then used a pick to push the tab down and slide the metal connector out.

#5175 2 years ago

Thats the pick set right there. Good ol Harbor Freight.

1 month later
#5231 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I need help completely turning off the attract sounds of Big House. 80b. The setting is off, but they still say stuff during attract mode every 5 mins or so.
Diamond Lady did the same thing, and I was able to turn it completely off, and I can’t remember what I did. Haha

It may be like RoboWar, The attract mode in the manual says dip #7 but it is actually Dip#8.

#5237 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is there a way to use the initials buttons on an 80b as a credit button without adding an additional switch?

You can also add a jumper to the diode board. This essential ties the right advance button to the coin drop. There is a write up in the 80 b section of the pinwiki.

Well maybe scrap that, i just re read that and it is not confirmed with Big House. But hey maybe check that out to see if it will work so the pinwiki can be updated.

F3252FB2-1F1A-4A47-AFB1-6677FE0771D0 (resized).pngF3252FB2-1F1A-4A47-AFB1-6677FE0771D0 (resized).png
#5242 2 years ago

chuckwurt

Did you try the jumper yet for the free play?

#5250 2 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I do it on all mine. You add a jumper to the diode board.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/File:GTB_Sys80B_Coin_Door_Diode_Board_Jumper_Added.JPG
I believe that Excalibur you have from me has this mod on it.

Adding the diode is what I said above but as the pinwiki says its not confirmed to work with Bighouse, and Chuck confirmed his Bighouse does not have a diode board.

1 month later
#5348 1 year ago

Hey guys, I have a Chicago cubs triple play in good working order. I noticed that the back ground sound is no longer there. All other sounds from playfield switches work as they should but the constant background music is not. The sound board is a MA-490 and has the daughter board attached to it. It also has 2 dips switches at the top but not sure what they do. When I try different configurations of the dips I can get some sounds but they are distorted. Any help is appreciated.

2 months later
#5554 1 year ago

Good morning, Im looking for a 19 pin Single sided edge connector with Rib between pins 4 and 5, pins 7 and 8, pins 11 and 12 & pins 15 and 16. This connector goes to the display for the 80B games. Im needing it for my TX-Sector. If anyone has a spare harness for the 80b display/speaker panel or even just the display connector that they would sell pls let me know. Thanks

#5557 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I might have one. I have several sets of harness. I'm on my way out of town this morning. Message me Tuesday night and I'll look.

That would be awesome. Here is a couple pictures of the other end of the speaker and display harness.

A03382D6-2DA1-4666-9C3A-B6C573790716 (resized).jpegA03382D6-2DA1-4666-9C3A-B6C573790716 (resized).jpegA4467E46-3498-41EA-A283-DC254F964824 (resized).jpegA4467E46-3498-41EA-A283-DC254F964824 (resized).jpegA7E82E48-B89D-47B1-8366-5F39587194C5 (resized).jpegA7E82E48-B89D-47B1-8366-5F39587194C5 (resized).jpegFB94BB68-AC63-4C7C-8C53-712A593D9951 (resized).jpegFB94BB68-AC63-4C7C-8C53-712A593D9951 (resized).jpeg

#5560 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

If your talking about the connector at the end of that mini harness. Sorry I already know I don't have that one.

The harness i really need

harness (resized).PNGharness (resized).PNG
#5561 1 year ago

The A10J4 is no big deal I can just use a generic connector for that and run some new wires.

#5564 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

I have started producing all of the single sided edge connectors used on Gottlieb System 1, 80, 80A and 80B games.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I have worked out distribution in Canada. https://pinballleds.ca/index.php?route=product/product&path=95&product_id=564
Still working on distribution in the US.

Excellent. So how do I go about getting a few connectors from ya? Just order off your website?

#5566 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

If you need it now, use https://pinballleds.ca/index.php?route=product/product&path=95&product_id=564 and it will ship from Canada. If you can wait 6 to 8 weeks I hope to have distribution set up in the US.

Do these connectors have the ribs in them or does that even matter?

#5568 1 year ago

Cool. They look great. You will be seeing my order. Thanks.

3 months later
#5819 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Marco Pinball is now distributing the single sided edge connectors that I have produced for Gottlieb System 1, 80, 80a and 80b machines.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=connector%20edge%20single&VIEW_SIZE=24&VIEW_INDEX=0&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy.
They are sold in kits that include the housing, crimp connectors and label.

That’s awesome, great work. I have used these connectors for my TX build and they are awesome.

#5824 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Glad you liked them RGarriott. Thanks for the testimonial and the support!

Super glad to see ya got them in the States.

1 month later
#5899 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

This is what I liked so much about the Gottlieb 80(A/B) games—and honestly Gottlieb in general. They may catch a lot of flak, but they did some really cool experimental things with their designs.

Agreed

2 weeks later
#5920 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Yes, Marco is a good reliable source, but also very pricey at 29¢ each for single-sided 08-52-0072 pins.
8¢ each on Amazon:
amazon.com link »

Thats not what im seeing, I see $.32

5810E078-7FAA-4744-BFC2-70B4AC1D30F6 (resized).jpeg5810E078-7FAA-4744-BFC2-70B4AC1D30F6 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#5979 1 year ago

Hello Im looking to service the power supply on my Robowar as the voltage is being alittle erratic. Does any one have a link for the 5v 500ohm 1w pot that would work on this?

#5984 1 year ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I find those Gottlieb power supplies unreliable and always replace the factory one with these:
ebay.com link: itm

Yeah I had looked at those and they are reasonably priced. I'm not a purist by any means but would like to keep the original board. I have 3 80B games currently plus a Monte Carlo that I have sold and this is the first issue I have had with the power supplies.

#5986 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

There isn't much that goes wrong with the System 80B or System 3 power supply. Just cracked solder connections and that adjustment potentiometer.
I replace them with the precision sealed multiturn versions. They are a lot more stable and I use them in all my system 80 games from one like pictured and newer ones for the System 80B.
[quoted image]

Which one do you use? The 80b calls for a 1w but am only seeing .25 to .5w.

2 months later
#6105 12 months ago

Looking for some help on a Chicago Cubs Triple Play. It has no sound. I have made sure all voltages, checked resistors, 7404 chips, continuity from the driver board, switched out driver with known good driver, reflowed daughter board, reseated sound rom, continuity from sound board to volume knob then to speaker, speaker increases humm when you turn it to max. Running out if things to check, ready to shotgun some chips. Any help appreciated.

#6106 12 months ago

This is the sound only ma-490 with the ma-488 daughter board. Thanks

2 months later
#6201 9 months ago

I cross posted over on the Robo-War page also but am looking for a new Robo-war translite if anyone has a lead on one. Thanks

1 month later
#6268 7 months ago

Added another 80b to the collection. Arena.

IMG_0824 (resized).jpegIMG_0824 (resized).jpeg
#6299 7 months ago

Hey guys looking for a Arena manual with schematics. Send me a message if ya have it available. Thanks

2 weeks later
#6335 7 months ago

Hey guy’s looking for a nos or new RoboWar translite. Let me know if ya have a lead. Thanks

2 months later
#6399 4 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

The new barakandl psb has an extra ground. Should I do anything with it?
[quoted image]

Nope no need. Have you done the mpu-driver connector mod yet?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Adding_Ground_and_5V_Connections_to_Interconnect_Harness

3 months later
#6496 52 days ago

Looking for a working or non working 80B CPU

1 week later
#6505 44 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I was hoping you wouldn't say connectors :-/ Definitely not an enjoyable task. So no Trifurcon pins, can anyone lead me towards the correct plugs for Sys 1's, I did see someone 3D print them, is that the way to go?

RDBowers makes great replacements.

4 weeks later
#6533 15 days ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Does anyone know how hot voltage needs to be to cause issues on a Sys80? I was at a customer's house and they had a game - nothing is working - etc. I noticed pretty quickly the 5v line was around 5.33, which I believe was then tripping the crowbar circuit. I've since repaired that to be a solid 5v, but am still getting some very frustrating behavior (MPU will boot, game will start, but zero switches will start). Unfortunately, I don't have another Sys80/A game to test in, and was hoping to get some insight since sys80 MPUs are a nightmare to work on between lack of diagnostics, poor connectors, etc. Do you all think 5.33 would be enough to damage the MPU beforehand? Usually, I would expect connectors in a Sys80 to start; but since it's NO switches working after the game boots, I'm suspecting switch matrix chips. I'm also wondering if it's worth just buying the Ni-Wumpf and calling it a day.
Any tips/tricks?

Yes 5.3 is high but shouldnt be causing an issue that you are seeing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgarriott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=rgarriott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.