(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,539 posts
  • 650 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ravve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6031 1 year ago

Help!
I recently bought a Super Orbit which according to seller was working fine until it suddenly stopped.

I kinda boots, but all coils are out including the flippers.

Spent some hours searching on the net and Im going to do the ground mods etc.

3 questions:

1. One of the things Im investigating is the Q/T relays, I am not sure where to find these, perhaps the black boxes circled in the pic?

2. The slam switch under the pf dont have continuety! when triggered by hand it shows 0.2-0.5v in continuety mode (game off). No beep. Is that correct?

Actually there are more switches that measures the same, not only the slam switch, i.e. no continuety even when triggered by hand. Shouldnt all switches "beep" when triggered?

3. I also discovered that all bumper coils, and some other coils, all have continuety between their lugs, which in turn has continuety to ground!
So both lugs are grounded, that seems odd?! There are diodes between the lugs, it cant be that all diodes are shorted?

Where do I start? Help!

20230329_194859 (resized).jpg20230329_194859 (resized).jpg
#6033 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

No, those are bridge rectifiers. The QT relays are mounted on the underside of the PF near the top.

Well thank u sire, now I found the relays!
They seem to test fine but Im not sure if In doing it right. I tested the relay switches for continuety. The tilt relay had only 1 switch (rack), continuety obtained when moving relay by hand.

The slam tilt had a 3-rack switch (not sure about the name), the first one is NC and the other 2 NO, all switched fine when relay is moved.

I am cleaning all connectors etc BUT really think that the coils showing continuety between all lugs (also those with 3 lugs) seems strange, or is that normal? Where do I start troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks!

#6035 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you haven’t repinned every connector in the backbox yet, do that, and see what’s what after that. Reuse the housings and replace the pins.

Thanks, Im gonna do that. Could a connector be causing the continuety between the coil lugs?
I was thinking maybe a shorted transiator on the driver board could be the cause, but I dont have the manual.

I tested all transistors on the driver board by grounding one lead and touching the metal tab on each transistor with the other lead.

The transistors below showed continuety to ground, does that mean that they are (all) bad?? Could i have found the error??

Q4, Q18-23, Q25-31

#6056 1 year ago

I have a Super Orbit (Gottlieb system80a) that I finally got to work!
There are a few issues still that I would need help with. I dont have the manual so it is a pain to understand where I should start.

SWITCHES:
4 Switches are not registering points, and failes in the dignostics menu. But they are testing OK with the dmm (shows continuety when activated).
Among those is the slingshot switch, slangshot fires when hit by the ball, but no points registered.
Same thing with one of the pop bumpers (fires but dont register any points).

POP BUMPER:
The third pop bumber is not working at all (no points and dont fire).

DISPLAY:
Working OK. But when not in play, it shows "0.000.000" for 5 seconds, then "2.000.000" for about 1 second, then back to "0.000.000" and so on. This happens on all 4 displays.
Is that an error code, or a display issue? If display issue, where to start troubleshooting?

OTHER:
Q40 on the driver board test different than all other transistors (diode with a dmm and game off). It is not shorted, but tests about 800 mv both directions, while all other transistors test 800mv on one direction, and 1400mv the other direction.
Not sure if that is normal though. What does Q40 control?

I should add that I have removed all boards from backbox, and the pop bumper driver boards, and reflowed solder, cleaned contacts etc.

Appreciate ANY help here, it's a pain without the manual ;(

#6058 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

So get a manual. Seriously.
Having a manual makes it easier for us to help you.

I will, but was hoping for some advise meanwhile..

Look at the corresponding pop bumper driver board.
I did, i took them all out and reflowed solder etc

Did you look at the Pinwiki page?
Yes, but coumdnt find any info about this

See above for replies thx

#6060 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

You could swap them around to see if the problem lies with the pop bumper itself or the pop bumper driver board.

Honestly, that sounds normal. Turn on game and it toggles between zeros and high score to date on all displays. Maybe somebody programmed a high score of 2,000,000 using step 14 of bookkeeping.

Thank you, I'll try to swap the boards.
How about the switches, what could be the issue when a switch tests ok with a dmm but not working in game? Leads soldered to switch seems ok.
Thx again

#6064 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

[quoted image]

Then with the manual you can trace these to specific wires, connector pins, and into the logic chips on the MPU schematic.

Thank you so much for this! SO next step for me is to buy the manual
Oh and I tried swapping the pop driver boards, and the error is now showing up on another pop bumper so YES, it seems that it is one of the pop driver boards causing the issue! I removed the suspected board (again) together with another working one, and measuring with the dmm shows the same results on both (checked all components and traces, including diode testing the chips). That makes me think that I need to reflow all solder on the non-working board, again. Worth a try at least... can´t figure what else could be wrong witht he board.

#6066 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

The transistor? Did you test it with your DMM?

Yep I did. Really strange thing that everything is testing fine. Was hoping to find something. Guess I should order a new board

#6069 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

A couple of mine had loose header pins, but that was in the connector and not the board. You checked the nuts/bolts holding the transistor onto the board to make sure they were tight and electrically connected?
For the heck of it, post close up photos of the front and back of your broken driver board.

Or get a rebuild kit from Big Daddy on eBay.

Yes I verified the bolts/nuts making continuety as they should. Here are pics, but really Ive spent hours comparing to a working board, visually and by the dmm, and cant find anything that differs! The transistor shows slightly less value compared to the working board, like 550 mv instead of 600 mv, but should still be ok i guess.

20230405_142618 (resized).jpg20230405_142618 (resized).jpg20230405_142628 (resized).jpg20230405_142628 (resized).jpg20230405_142640 (resized).jpg20230405_142640 (resized).jpg
#6073 1 year ago

So an update on the pop bumper driver board issue. I finally fixed it! It was the cap C3 that was bad and needed replacement. Looked good to the eye, but tested bad with the ESR meter.

Next issues to solve are some switches that tests good with the dmm, but dont register in game. One of them is one of the pop bumper switches.
I cleaned them with alcohol but that didnt do the trick
They seem to be adjusted OK... ideas?

#6075 1 year ago

Found this on pinwiki, but not sure where to put the jumper wire..?

"Place the game into switch test
Using a short length of wire, short each column drive to each row return, one at a time
A single switch closure should be shown as each connection is made."

#6076 1 year ago

I think I got it, but need to doublecheck before I do something stupid
To test the right pop bumber switch, using the jumper method:
I should remove the A1J6 connector, power on the game and put it in switch test mode, then put a jumper wire on the connector (the male connector on the board) between pins 3 and 12. Is this right??

Screenshot_20230407_221529_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230407_221529_Gallery (resized).jpg
#6081 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Looks like SW 20 to me. Are we looking at the same drawing?
[quoted image]

Thanks! So I am right by putting the jumper on the board "pins" (i.e. the edge connector pins)?

#6084 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Yes, the jumper would be simulating a single switch closure. Just be careful not to accidentally touch the adjacent edge finger connection.

Thanks a lot! Going to test that tomorrow. Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ravve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=ravve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.