(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psd4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#567 9 years ago

Guess I should join in I have a soft spot for these Gottliebs. I have in my collection Gold Wings(w/siren and topper)Raven,Hollywood Heat,James Bond,Timeline,Buck Rogers,Eldorado city of Gold,Haunted House and I just sold my Excalibur to help pay for the HH resto. I'm doing multiball and having the playfields redone by HSA. I've had and since sold Panthera and two Close Encounters. Mike

#571 9 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Guess I should join in I have a soft spot for these Gottliebs. I have in my collection Gold Wings(w/siren and topper)Raven,Hollywood Heat,James Bond,Timeline,Buck Rogers,Eldorado city of Gold,Haunted House and I just sold my Excalibur to help pay for the HH resto. I'm doing multiball and having the playfields redone by HSA. I've had and since sold Panthera and two Close Encounters. Mike

Just remembered I have a Big House also)

3 weeks later
#599 9 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Hi Mike.
I've got a Raven also. In the manual, it says that the right flipper button changes the top rollover lights, but that doesn't work on mine. Does it on yours?

Yes it does. You might have a problem with the lane change switch. Mike

#608 9 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Okay, thanks, I was thinking that maybe it was never implemented & wasn't taken out of the manual. I'll get out the manual & try to find where the switch is.
Edit: Read on Google groups that the switch is on the flipper, not a stacked EOS switch. I'll take a look tonight. Is it supposed to be open or closed? Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

I believe it's normally open. Mike

1 year later
#973 8 years ago

I have one if you still need it. Mike

1 year later
#1309 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking for this transistor bracket for under the pf....found some sets on ebay for 13 plus shipping. Anyone have one bracket with no trans? Trying to keep my friends cost down....like $7-8 shipped?

If you haven't found one yet I have one you can have for shipping. Mike

1 week later
#1323 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

So this is where I am at. Im not sure where to go from here, and I have a pile of other projects to get done this weekend. I need this thing working for my party next weekend.
Are there any System 80b gurus in my area that want to come by and have a go at it? I can pay in beer or cash. Let me know.
» YouTube video

I could possibly come by and check it out. Mike

1 month later
#1402 6 years ago

Would love that Raven apron would even buy the whole pf but won't be near Allentown unfortunately

#1407 6 years ago

I'm guessing that might be there because the tab is broken on the right side loop guide. Mike

2 months later
#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Not the problem it seems. It was at 5.10v: no dice. Turned it up to 5.30v: no dice. Turned it down to 5v: no dice. Back at 5.10. Anyone got another idea? It only does this when the solenoids test, which makes me think it's being robbed of power.

One thing you might try is taking the fluorescent bulb out if it's working (or just remove the starter). I have the same type of issue on my Gold Wing, Raven,Amazon Hunt II and sometimes on my Hollywood Heat and it's got to do with the light starting up. I've never been able to determine exactly why this is but it's been the problem. I've been thinking off and on about a different type of back box lighting but haven't come to any conclusions yet.

#1473 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Tomorrow actually, I plan to try and do an LED strip around the inside of the backbox. I am going to be tying into the 12v wire to power it. What got me onto this is because my Genesis came with a NOS translate and I'd rather not yellow it with the fluorescent.

Be very interested to see how it looks.

#1481 6 years ago

It does look good. Which light strips did you use?

2 weeks later
#1503 6 years ago

HH has the longer legs on the back. Spirit I don't know about. Mike

5 months later
#1775 6 years ago

Just for entering initials.

2 months later
#1955 6 years ago

Cut those off they just add extra drag to the flippers. They're not needed that's why Gottlieb didn't use them on the later games.

4 weeks later
#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

My latest addition I want a frick'n Genie so if someone in the Midwest wants to part with one let me know.

I'll have one fs after I get it shopped out. Mike

#2108 5 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Buy from Mike with confidence if you don't know him he does nice work on what he sells

Thanks for the kind words. If anybody needs it I'm starting to work on some Gottlieb boards for other people. No system 1 mpu's. I don't currently have a system 3 to test in so those are out also. I have done some work for a few people on here, I'll let them chime in if they want. Mike

1 month later
#2177 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

It must be longer because of the metal bumper mounting pad the use.

That is correct. You can use the B/W one and stick a washer or two between the yoke and the studs on the ring and they will usually work pretty well. If you don't use the washer the pops can feel kind of dead. Mike

2 months later
#2332 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo: 2) What's the story with the loop in the upper left corner. The one is my machine is pretty beat up, it looks like its missing the side screw tabs so it shifts and becomes unusable. I am going to order a pair of replacement sides from PBR, any tricks to assembly to get it working 100%?

As long as all the pieces have all their mounting tabs the biggest problem with the loop is the corkscrew piece is screwed to the top of the pf. The ball hits the edge and bounces around in the loop. On my cc'd nos pf I carefully chiseled the wood from the pf to let the end of the corkscrew sit flush with the surface of the pf. The loop is easy to get now and very smooth. I don't like the idea of a stronger coil on that flipper. That area gets pretty beat up as is with everything being so close.
With the loop set up this way I set my EOS switch to open fairly early to weaken the flipper and keep from beating everything up. As long as I have good aim (which I usually don't lol) the loop is very easy and the ball will go all the way to the top rollovers. Mike

2 months later
#2508 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The dragon looked in good shape, needs cleaning but man prettt nice for the age.
What is the black item in the place where the batteries would be? Is that a old sealed battery?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nicad battery

1 week later
#2519 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I recently joined the club with a Genie, and added a second game to my Gottlieb early SS lineup yesterday ...

Hey I recognize that Genie

4 months later
#2884 5 years ago

It looks like the big resistor below them was replaced and that's what put the smoke stains on the caps.

1 month later
#2983 4 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

I just want to say I love this thread. I check it daily, if not every other. You folks are the best and I consider you all part of my family. Enjoy my row.[quoted image]

Nice!

1 week later
#3006 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m totally gonna rip you off on this one!

+1

7 months later
#3370 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Anybody know the name of this little insulating piece on the driver board of System 80 boards is called? Can't seem to find the right set of words into a search engine to pull up a replacement part.
Still grabbed from Clays video. If you haven't bought his TOP video for HH and Black Hole, you should RIGHT NOW.[quoted image]

Try this:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=18PTI1HDWOB

1 week later
#3408 4 years ago

The plastic ones? They're p clips

1 year later
#4560 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I just came to the realization that between myself, Freeplay40 and Steve Young, I believe we now have every System 80B plastic ramp available except for one. And I am looking to get the missing Hot Shots ramp done sometime this year. What a time to be alive!

Count me in on this one

4 months later
#4758 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Does anyone happen to have a Hot Shots ramp they can shoot me a picture of? I am trying to determine what the broken end should look like when it is complete. Here is what I am talking about:
[quoted image][quoted image]

I can get you one tonight. I think my ramp is okay there.

#4759 2 years ago

Actually mines not much better than yours.

20210908_230657 (resized).jpg20210908_230657 (resized).jpg

a180eb21c03b3b08c0db0cb65dbc5e9008ee64bf (resized).jpga180eb21c03b3b08c0db0cb65dbc5e9008ee64bf (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#4850 2 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Hopefully I dont get shot for this but I had to save this Alien Star. Or as I'm calling it now "Alien Scar"! The playfield was too bad to save so I decided to sand it down to a flat surface and then cleared it. I figured I'd get it all working that way when/if they repop the playfield I'll be ready. I actually like how it turned out and I am happy to have a playing game that I had been looking for for a very long time. Next up is Ice Fever. I'm using rubber rings I had on hand so thats a little hodge podge at the moment and PBResourse sent me the wrong caps but other than that its done for now.
-Jim
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Should have went all the way and called it a whitewood.

3 months later
#5065 2 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

On my Monte Carlo, most of the retaining clips on the board standoffs in the backbox have snapped off. I saw this thread which is helpful, but it deals with Volcano, a regular system 80 game https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fyi-exact-replacement-gottlieb-sys-80-pcb-stand-offs#post-6444807.
Has anyone replaced the board standoffs on a system 80b? I wondered if it was necessary to pull the whole back panel of the head out to replace a standoff or if they could be unscrewed/unclipped from the front?

Yes you need to remove the back panel.

1 year later
#6093 1 year ago

Listed some 80B goodness.

Machine - For Sale
Gold Wings Archived
Fully shopped/refurbished - “Some 80B goodness. 1 of the nicest GW's your going to find. Clearcoated N.O.S. pf, N.O.S. plastics, N.O.S. Translight. Rampomatic pink ramp (clear original included). Powdercoated ...”
2023-04-18
Elburn, IL
Archived after: 10 days
Viewed: 474 times

Machine - For Sale
Raven Archived
Fully shopped/refurbished - “Selling my Raven pinball. Clearcoated N.O.S. pf, alternate translight (have an N.O.S. original that goes with the game). Powdercoated siderails, Lockbar and legs. Leds in the pf in...”
2023-04-22
Elburn, IL
Archived after: 54 days
Viewed: 681 times

Machine - For Sale
Amazon Hunt II Archived
Fully shopped/refurbished - “Some rare 80B goodness here. These originally were conversion kits for early 80B games. I think they mainly went overseas. This started as an N.O.S. pf assembly (minus apron and sh...”
2023-06-04
Elburn, IL
Archived after: 37 days
Viewed: 968 times

#6099 1 year ago
Quoted from Classics_Master:

System-80B question; I have a few of these that seem very reliable, yet about every 10 time or so I turn them on the displays do not light up, yet game plays perfectly? However, if it does this I simply turn off and back on right away and the displays always come back on, why are they off every once in a while? Thanks

It's the fluorescent light, not sure if it's the starter or what.

2 months later
#6183 9 months ago
Quoted from FTN_Ferry:

Hey guys and girls..
Anyone happen to own a Monte Carlo that has the 'roulette wheel' sticker on the apron?
I am looking for a decent picture of it.
May be any one willing to make a picture? So I could try to reproduce it?
It's worth a try..
Further more ... the MC I bought has a bag of black star posts.. the ones on the playfield are transparent. And a lot of pictures I see has also transparent ones. Which one's are original?
Br
FTN_Ferry

Transparent

3 weeks later
#6204 9 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Hey Gottlieb fans. I have a "grail" playfield for sale in the market. Check it out if you are interested in a NOS Eclipse playfield.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/161186
[quoted image]

Hey, I have a very nice bg for that game.

1 week later
#6223 8 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I don't think so as I got what I ordered.
https://www.bestofpinball.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=8549
[quoted image]
On a similar topic. The shop I use regularly has these coil stops, listed as "enhanced". Nothing in description to say what is enhanced about them. Any ideas?
[quoted image]

You should have 4 bushings and yes they are different top to bottom. Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hickory, NC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psd4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=psd4me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.