(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinostalgia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1591 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Hello,
I live in New Orleans and I have a Diamond Lady resto going on at the moment. Currently all i get are playfield lighs and attract mode theme music. I have installed all new rubbers, replaced some missing decals and just received a new pcb today. The original one has massive alkaline damage so it had to be replaced. I may try to save it as an experiment in mitigating pcb damage.
Also I need to replace the A1-J1 edge connector and it is on order right now.
The pin is in immaculate condition but has a midway coin door on it..im looking for a gotllieb door and have posted in the want ads for one.
When my edge connector comes in and i install it i will post again to give an update.
Looks like a fun game if i ever get it working.

I have been following your progress and wish you were local so I could bugger you about selling it to me.lol.

#1602 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

I would not be opposed to seliing it once its fixed.

ok,sounds good.

3 weeks later
#1654 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Fixed..come to find out the leaf switch for the spoon was touching..i bent the bottom arm slightly back with my leaf switch took and now the game is 100% working!
Just gotta clean it up, led it it up and decide what to do with it...sell it?...try putting it on location?...or trade it...id be up to trade it for a flash gordon if anyone has a working one.

HOW MUCH YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO WANT FOR IT WITHOUT "LED UP" ?,AND WOULD YOU SHIP?

3 months later
#1830 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

Yeah, it's pretty fun. It has lots of stuff to shoot at and a three ball multi-ball. The sounds kinda stink, but it was the 80s

I just passed on one at $1200 local.how much was yours?

1 year later
#3291 4 years ago

i thought the replacement 80b displays sold by boston pinbals were too expensive, can somebody chime in.

#3294 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

They are expensive but I think the only led/new option?

Why is that,how hard would be to manufacture?

#3300 4 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

I feel like it's a fair price for what they had R&D. I ended up putting some in a victory and they look like a million bucks. They are a tiny bit larger and look awesome.

funny you mentionned that,i'm planning on putting it in my victory as well .that's how it come off the container...( missing one display)

1 month later
#3351 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

My GW in mid rebuild a couple years ago. Probably my favorite 80B at this point. This was before I started making the ramps for it...my original was actually pretty decent.[quoted image]

wow,where did you get the purple rubber kit?

2 months later
#3532 4 years ago

just bought a daughter board from here https://www.pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_piggydeux.php and it works great in my monte carlo and i'm very happy with it.
but i just noticed this other product https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1055-nvramweeblycom/00583-new-gottlieb-system-80b-rom-piggyback-daughter-board-ma689.
and couln't help but wonder what's with the big difference in price,does anybody know?

#3535 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Damn $10!
I wish I got mine for that

well,i asked the gentleman who sell these and he said that you have to desolder the daughterboard and solder this in place.the pinitech one is a plug n play and bypasses the whole problem.

4 weeks later
#3599 3 years ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

Hey Pinsiders,
I am thinking about getting a Genesis. Does anyone know if it's still possible to find the clear replacement lamps/pop bumper caps for this game?
Thanks,
Dan

dan,did you check the genesis club on here? they may have an answer for you.

4 weeks later
#3690 3 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

Get a regulated adjustable power supply from eBay for 5 bucks .
I did it for my robowar and things run super smooth for the last 2 years

do you have the part number or better yet a link to the ebay page? i might need one of those...

#3692 3 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

It’s been a long time ...
Do a search for “ DC-DC Step Up Down Boost buck Voltage Converter Module ” .
Usually the price is below 5 dollars
Typical specs are ...
Specification:
Input Voltage :4-35V
Output voltage: Continuously adjustable(1.25-25V unload adjust)
Output current: 3A Max(If more than 15W, please install the heat sink)
CC range :0-2A (adjustable)
Minimum voltage difference: 2V
What you need is turn the unregulated 12v input from the transformer to a regulated 5 to 5.2 regulated output from the module.

thank you.
so is this it?

s-l640 (resized).jpgs-l640 (resized).jpg
#3694 3 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

Bingo !
The output voltage remains constant , regardless of load.
Before you order ask if it can regulate down ( 5 volts ) . Some modules can only regulate only upwards from input until their max nominal volt output.

very cool,there are so many different styles,some even have heatsinks,now have to figure out how and where exactly to plug them, lol.
thank you.

1 month later
#3762 3 years ago

JodyG, you're a saint

3 weeks later
#3811 3 years ago

I hear you brother,I have the bug too

IMG_20200802_144402 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_144402 (resized).jpg
#3814 3 years ago

It's an ok game,the upper Left ramp thingy is impossible to make though

IMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145112 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145112 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpg
#3815 3 years ago

Sorry couldn't figure out how to fix the last picture

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Just ordered adhesive versions and non-adhesive versions of the pop bumper caps. Thanks for all the help. Next up....
I'm about to triple thick my OG Haunted House Backglass. The part with the most flaking is the on the lower end right next to the lift channel. The lift channel is so ungodly tight that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it off....
Should I try harder or just triple thick it with the lift channel on?

where did you buy them,i need a few too...

#3833 3 years ago
Quoted from Ed150:

Just picked up an Arena today! Super excited! I'll get her in the basement this weekend and get her going!
(Sunlight is hitting the backglass/translite)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

awesome game,if you've never played it before,you'll love it and the cabinet looks great on this one

#3834 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Hot take: 90% of Sys80B games wouldn't get as much flack as they do if they had better art packages.

don't believe the hype,they're hard to find as it is,and rarely come up for sale.

#3860 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Anyone have the measurements of the Backbox glass for Bad Girls?

Just took the measurements off mine
Top/bottom :25"
Sides :24"

IMG_20200810_195821 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_195821 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_201258 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_201258 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3922 3 years ago

@jodyG, is that top left "roller coaster" ramp attainable at all? i simply can't make that shot.

3 weeks later
#4006 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All mechs rebuilt/cleaned, top side cleaned and waxed. Just waiting on the boards to come back from being repaired![quoted image]

Who did you send them to, I might need that service as well.

2 weeks later
#4051 3 years ago

A lil bummed today, I tried to pull the Piggy deux board and broke one of the pins. It's so hard to remove it from the cpu sometimes.
Now my gold wings is back to acting up again. And pinitech is out of stock right now
Does anyone now if this part is salvageable.

IMG_20201102_150042 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_150042 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_150119 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_150119 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_150148 (resized).jpgIMG_20201102_150148 (resized).jpg
#4054 3 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:

Yeah those look like generic breakaway header pin strips. I'd take a flush cutter and just remove the one broken pin and replace it with a single pin off another strip, lot less soldering that way.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Same thing happened to me. I emailed pinitech to ask for the replacement header pin part number. Bought some, cut out the broken one and soldered in a new one .
Now, once you buy a new one or repair this one, buy some SIPs and cut them to length. Your piggy back board should sit on SIPs then clip into your 80b board. Then you can easily remove it off of your board with a small screw driver, prying the SIPs off of the board socket.
If you end of buying a new one, I'll buy this one from you and fix it.
Edit here's the part
ebay.com link

thanks, unfortunately it's beyond my limited capabilities.
the link for "sips" don't work.

#4065 3 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Unfortunate to hear this happened.
The instruction sheet has two key suggestions..
1. For installation (or for that matter, removal) it's best to remove the MPU from the game. The MPU will flex too much otherwise and you'd also be working at a vertical angle. So if it was hard to install & you're trying to do it without removing the MPU, that's likely why. You'd need to support behind the IC socket while also inserting the board and it's not an easy thing to do with just two hands.
2. There's a line in the instructions pertaining to removal.. "To remove the PIGGY DEUX, grab the board at each edge and gently pull out, working one side, then the other. It should come out of the socket easy this way due to leverage."
Any IC chip will have the same issue when installed in a socket. Just the nature of ICs and parts that have headers that fit into IC sockets. If the headers were the robust 2.54mm square headers like used to connect harnesses to MPU boards, then they would be SUPER difficult to push in and also damage the IC socket. So there's really no getting around using these round pin SIP types of headers. That's why you see them on NVRAM modules, etc.

From the looks of your board, you can straighten the pins that are just bent. That'd leave you with one broken pin, which unfortunately looks like it's needed so it'd have to be repaired or the connection would have to be re-established somehow (jumper, etc). If you're not technically inclined to do that type of thing, then send me a PM & I can have you send the board back -- I'll see what I can do.
In regard to the PIGGY DEUX being OOS, I just got another small batch assembled, so should have more in-stock on the website within the next week or so.
---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
NVRAM, Bally/Stern LED Displays & Mods for pinball machines

appreciate the offer, someone local to me offered to fix it.
i will be on the lookout for the new batch.
thank you.
moe.

2 months later
#4362 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPilot:

BAD GIRLS TRANSLITE: DO I GO WITH NOS OR AN ALTERNATE?
Restoration & LED conversion is complete. One last decision to make:
1. Alternates (3 choices): https://www.pinball-translite.com/contents/en-us/d1052_Bad_Girls_Pinball_Alternative_Replacement_Translite.html
2. NOS - Shown in attached pic
Wife, believe it or not, prefers the alternates.
What say you, Pinside 80B club members???
Also, does anyone have any experience dealing with member "Pinstein" who sells alternate translites? He's $95 shipped, whereas the guys in the Netherlands (the ones I linked to) are more like $115 shipped. The NOS will be $120 shipped.
[quoted image]

Maaan, who has the nos, I've been looking for one

5 months later
#4614 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Joined the club today. Nothing is plugged up, all the boards were removed from the head. But Ive got it mostly back together and ill be sorting out the harness later.
Supposedly it works, just had a flasher lock on and the last owner broke it down and never messed with it after that.
Wish me luck!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, nice condition victory, you'll never tire from playing it sir, good luck with the restore.

2 months later
#4725 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, I checked that and it was turned on, so must be broken. Appreciate the reply.
Are there any programs to change the sounds in the original ROMs? Thank you.

I had this issue in the past with other functions, so what to do in this case, what's actually "broken"

#4742 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Does anyone know what the bolt types are to lock the Gottlieb head in place? Thanks for the help!

same size as the leg bolts just a couple inches taller works for me.

#4751 2 years ago
Quoted from BleacherBum:

I have had this display for awhile. I do not remember when or where I obtained it. I guessing it is for a Gottlieb pin. Thus my posting it here. Apologies if mistaken.
The display is a 20 digit display that is 10.25 inch long and 1.75 inches wide at its widest points. There are two sets of ten pins on the edge with the glass nipple and two sets of nine pins on the other edge. This has never been installed. So I assume it is NOS. I do not know if if functions properly. (See attached images)
I’ll let it go for the cost of shipping. I just ask that this is something you need and will not be selling. If your interested, let me know.
Phil[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

sir you are correct, it is for certain gottlieb system 80b display, i think MA-644 and MA-999.
i can use it as a spare, pm incoming.
thank you.

1 week later
#4776 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Anyone have pictures of the translite lock mechanism. Is there a lock bar on the top of the trans light?

the orignal translite lock had a two and half inch offest cam that's unobtonium, these may work although a bit shorter...
ebay.com link: LOT OF 5 Offset Cam 1 2 offset Replacement 2 inch Cam LATCH 2400065130596

#4780 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Cool. Is there a locking channel on the top of the translite or does it somehow just slide over the top of the glass?

it slides over the top of the translite and blocks it from moving upward.

4 months later
#5087 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

The plastic trim for the translite on my Genesis (system 80B) was falling apart and the lift edge on the bottom was damaged. Just received a fresh set and it holds the translite in place so much better.
I seem to have one minor issue to resolve. It seems that the new plastic lift edge on the bottom is just a little thicker than the original lift edge. Because of that it barely will go in the slot and I can’t lock it in place. Has anyone else run into this?
It looks like there are a couple options. I could slightly widen the slot so to new wider molding fits in or try to sand the back edge of the new lift channel but I’m concerned about weakening that. Seems like the best option may be to slightly widen the slot. It would still work with the

Hardware store for $5, I had to cut one for mine when I broke it.

is the hardware store in question a national chain?
last time i replaced the glass it cost me $55 locally even online they charge about the same with a minimum order of five glasses.

1 year later
#6159 11 months ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

I am giving my genesis a much needed repaint. It will go back to original paint.
The bolt heads/hardware on head and cabinet, are they painted?
What are the names of colors used or something very similar.
Are there any stencils of any kind for the cabinet? (Original)
I traced my own for the head but stencils would cut down on time by alot.[quoted image][quoted image]

This might work
ebay.com link: Genesis Pinball Machine CABINET Decal Set

1 month later
#6185 9 months ago
Quoted from FTN_Ferry:

Hey guys and girls..
Anyone happen to own a Monte Carlo that has the 'roulette wheel' sticker on the apron?
I am looking for a decent picture of it.
May be any one willing to make a picture? So I could try to reproduce it?
It's worth a try..
Further more ... the MC I bought has a bag of black star posts.. the ones on the playfield are transparent. And a lot of pictures I see has also transparent ones. Which one's are original?
Br
FTN_Ferry

I can take better pictures tomorrow in the daylight if needed. The dimensions are 5x11 cm

IMG_20230703_214518629 (resized).jpgIMG_20230703_214518629 (resized).jpgIMG_20230703_214547717 (resized).jpgIMG_20230703_214547717 (resized).jpgIMG_20230703_214815988 (resized).jpgIMG_20230703_214815988 (resized).jpgIMG_20230703_214902631 (resized).jpgIMG_20230703_214902631 (resized).jpg

8 months later
#6525 25 days ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

Available and message sent.[quoted image]

Is the 80b mpu still available?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinostalgia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=pinostalgia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.