(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincity.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1733 6 years ago

Looking to add the additional 5VDC and GND connections to the interconnect harness as described in the pinwiki and recommended by Todd in the TNT videos.

Looks like the referenced connectors are no longer available from Great Plains. I know I can order a rebuild kit from Docent for the full connector but didn't know if there was a more economical option since I just need the two additional connections?

Thanks

#1736 6 years ago

Thanks CactusJack

Quoted from CactusJack:

If you are exclusively a "Pinhead", then probably not. But if you are also a "Vidiot" or know someone that is, you can scavenge the pins from a Black style (Amp brand I believe) JAMMA video game harness which uses the same types of pins.

Sadly I am only into pins at the moment so don’t have access to a JAMMA connector. I’ll keep an eye out for a junk harness I could scavenge from but now that I know a JAMMA type connector will work, I can keep an eye out for one of those also.

#1741 6 years ago
Quoted from smailskid:

All youneed is four jamma pins, a crimper, and some wire. Crimp the pins on the wire and insert them in the harness. That is it
I bought the crimper and jamma pins from Bob Roberts but he is no longer open.
Looks like these pins would work. You also need a crimper if you don't have one.
http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_184&products_id=1115&zenid=ndg3e69agvv5a13r6sp96hqut7

Thanks! Good find - I'll need crimpers, I believe this should work?

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W-HT-1919

#1762 6 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

I was searching for those Bifurcated terminal pins all over the place without any success . Those suggested look OK !
I had to hack some cheap Chinese jamma connectors , and the result was more than OK .
You need some soldering but it is an easy and robust solution

That’s nice work, very neat looking! Thanks for the idea.

7 months later
#2317 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I just picked up a Gold Wings and, after u plugging the siren, I have a few small issues. I ordered the manual and rubber kit from PBR but until it arrives:
1) How many balls should be in this machine? It’s has two ball multiball but there were four balls in the machine (along with a stack of magnets!) but it seems like it should only have two.
2) anyone with the manual, what are switches 46 and 56? I get a message they are closed when running the test mode.
3) How are settings saved in this machine? I lose all scores and settings when I power off the machine. I am not that familiar with non-EM machines so be gentle!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Cool game, I don’t have a Gold Wings but I think I can help on a couple of your questions.

2) According to this site (https://www.pinitech.com/switch_database.php?name=Gottlieb_Gold_Wings), those appear to be your trough switches.

3) Unless it’s been upgraded to NVRAM, scores are saved in battery-backed RAM. It sounds like the battery could be dead. If you haven’t already, I would check out the MPU to see if you still have the original battery on the board and if so, I would remove it ASAP. If you’re lucky, perhaps someone upgraded to a lithium coin cell or remote battery and that battery has just died.

#2323 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Looks like the original battery was replaced in 2000. What’s the easiest way to get battery saves back into the machine?

As others have said, there are some different options... at least 5 in fact according to pinwiki, each with their own advantages and drawbacks: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Battery_Leakage_and_Corrosion.

NVRAM is also a great option as it gets rid of the batteries altogether but the 5101 RAM chip is not in a socket and would need to be desoldered from the board which can have its own challenges.

1 year later
#3202 4 years ago

Has anyone ever had any issues with using a reset generator on an 80B board? Here’s why I’m asking:

When I got my Monte Carlo, the board in it was toast from corrosion and I rehab’d it as a learning experience.

I had the board booting, playing, etc. but every few startups, the roulette wheel and some computer controlled lights would lock on, sometimes would kick a ball into the shooter lane. Restarting, everything was back to normal. Swapping in a known good MPU, it ran very reliably every time, so the driver board seemed good.

I used an MCP130 generator in the reset section. Somewhere I read that it changes the reset delay from something like 50ms to 150ms, which increases the “thunk” and that thunk can cause weirdness in different games depending on the solenoid setup (like the roulette wheel).

Given it happens intermittently at startup, I was considering rebuilding the reset section back to original spec to see what happens but wanted to see if anyone’s had a similar issue before doing so.

Thanks!

#3205 4 years ago

@noflip95 thanks for the in-depth reply - and your dedication to these great machines .

I believe I used an MCP130 because there was no MCP100 available at the time. However, looking at the data sheet it looks like there’s an internal 5k pull-up on the reset line of the MCP130 from what I can see:

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/268/11184d-68220.pdf

-----------

Thanks for the info on the driver mod. Before making any additional modifications...

Given that the board having issues is the one that was repaired, and the known good one workes fine (even with unmodified driver board), my approach is that I wanted to get the boards back as close to identical as possible since the only difference that I’m aware of component wise is the reset circuitry.

By setting the boards identically, I’m hoping to uncover whether the observed issue is attributed to the difference in the reset circuitry and/or some other gremlin introduced during repair that I haven’t yet uncovered.

6 months later
#3680 3 years ago

Nice score, always wanted a Night Moves. Definitely aftermarket. Not sure if this is the same board (looks like it to me based on picture) but Marco has this listed as an 80B power supply replacement.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-645

Have you confirmed 5VDC from the power supply?

1 week later
#3701 3 years ago

Hey Gang,

Has anyone re-pinned the A1J1 (+5V) connector on a system 80B?

I think these pins from Ed would work [08-52-0072]

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=08-52-0072

I can’t quite figure out how the existing pins come out, though . Do you need the molex removal tool for this connector or is there an alternative approach?

#3703 3 years ago

Thanks! My A1J1 connector doesn't have the little slots like in the video but it helps to visually see where the tail is on the pin so that I can try to disengage it.

1 month later
#3759 3 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

I’m gonna check out a Monte Carlo pin soon. Priced at $1,000,plays and has the topper. What should I look out for on this title. Thanks

Quoted from JodyG:

Ramp is almost always broken....i'm working on it!

Agreed and great news!

I would also add that Marco and PBR have a few of the game specific parts for this but it's a no go for any plastics or the translite for this game from what I've found.

1 week later
#3776 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I did. They said they don’t have them. Reading their response again they recommended this place:
www.flippers.com
Anyone use them?

Haven’t used them yet but that is John’s Jukes.

https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/gottlieb-game-sound-promepromgals-p-2802

FYI: there’s a note on the page for Panthera that you’ll receive a single EPROM instead of two, so you may need to perform some jumpering if your board hasn’t already been modified for a single EPROM.

#3777 3 years ago

1 year later
#5039 2 years ago

Finally got around to rebuilding the flippers on my Monte Carlo using parts from PBR (coil stops, sleeves, plunger/links, return springs, EOS switches).

I noticed when a fast ball hits the flipper while fully extended, the flipper will drop ever so slightly and then re-energize. This happens on both flippers. I re-adjusted both EOS switches and confirmed they're properly opening at the end of stroke. It's not necessarily causing any issues but I don't remember this happening before the rebuild and wondered if it was normal?

#5041 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sure you have them wired properly? Mine don’t do that. When engaged do they hold strong when you try and push them down with your finger or are they easy to push down?

Thanks! Appreciate the second opinion before I go pulling everything apart again.

I’ll double check the coil wiring today but I did take pictures too, so I’m pretty sure they’re wired how they were before the rebuild. When engaged they do require a bit of force to push them down. And of course if they’re pushed below a certain point the EOS closes and full power kicks in and the flipper bat kicks back up fully.

I plan to check the flipper set screws as well to make sure I have those tight enough!

#5060 2 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Thanks! Appreciate the second opinion before I go pulling everything apart again.
I’ll double check the coil wiring today but I did take pictures too, so I’m pretty sure they’re wired how they were before the rebuild. When engaged they do require a bit of force to push them down. And of course if they’re pushed below a certain point the EOS closes and full power kicks in and the flipper bat kicks back up fully.
I plan to check the flipper set screws as well to make sure I have those tight enough!

Hey chuckwurt - the coil wiring was OK and I even re-soldered the connections and re-adjusted the EOS just in case, but no change. Compared the new parts vs. old parts and realized that the coil stops in my rebuild kit were a little different and a bit longer than my old ones (after some research, the old ones were proper, the new ones appear to have been intended for early System 1). Swapped in the old coil stops and they're holding strong! I'll pick up some new stops on my next PBR order but for now the Monte Carlo is flipping again!

#5062 2 years ago

On my Monte Carlo, most of the retaining clips on the board standoffs in the backbox have snapped off. I saw this thread which is helpful, but it deals with Volcano, a regular system 80 game https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fyi-exact-replacement-gottlieb-sys-80-pcb-stand-offs#post-6444807.

Has anyone replaced the board standoffs on a system 80b? I wondered if it was necessary to pull the whole back panel of the head out to replace a standoff or if they could be unscrewed/unclipped from the front?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincity.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=pincity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.