(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtkst19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2944 4 years ago

With 2900 plus posts hopefully someone can shed some light to a 80b newb.

Picked up my 1st 80b for my girlfriend. She is a gottlieb fan. But no 1812 or cactus Jack's floating around our area and budget. So we purchased a raven for fair price for shape. Perfect for her as she likes sniping targets over multiball. When I looked at pin it played with no sound and would shut down. To get into the car I had to pull back box.

Got home last night and immediately put it back together cleaning as I went. To my surprise game played fine full sound etc. The ramp coil was burnt up. Plunger could not slide through it. But we played like 6 games before it did a reset. Went to bed and dug into it today.

Lifted up playfield, removed ramp coil wires/taped them up until replacement coil comes and did the ground mod at transformer. The back side of the male bolt down part at the transformer did have some corrosion. Noticed a wire in middle bridge not hooked up with a non gottlieb wire that Is soldered in with the Gottlieb wire but I have no clue where it goes to. It is currently taped up.

Get done and go to play but no more power at the uncontrolled solenoids. Pop bumpers/flippers/kick rubbers. Controlled solenoids/lights all work. Can run through self test no issues

Have voltage at all my fuses found at transformer. I Checked ground circuit from playfield to transformer ground spot via voltage drop. Ground is good. Power supply in back box voltage checks out. Confirmed my 5v readings by testing chips on various boards to make certain they were reading same as voltage supply.

No power at fuse 12 through 15. No 5v at pop bumper boards. Can continuity test from respective fuse to solenoid and it checks out.

My eyes hurt from reading diagram on cell. But only thing that makes sense is tilt or game over relay is shutting coils down. Is my mysterious bridge wire tied into this?

As I type this the other thought popped up that me removing the coil for the ramp took away my voltage for other items? As ramp coil is fused on 16 on playfield. I unhooked coil and all 3 wires. I'm trying to find it on diagram but have not yet. I'll print it out at work to where I can read it easier.

So any input from the crowd?

Thanks in advance

#2947 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My only thought is to check the slam switch on the coin door and make sure it isn't tripped, just had that problem with my Spring Break.

Good ideal. My coin door wiring is hokey. I lol check it out after work.

#2949 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Mine was sensitive enough that the balls launching and striking the drop targets would set it off. Puzzling till I figured it out. Had the meter on the CPU board, watching the 5.0 voltage and trying to get it to act up.. and it was just a switch. Tweaked it and fine ever since.

Well was not the slam switch. That wiring was unhooked and skinned to short two wires together then taped. So fixed it and the credit switches.

Lifted up board and looked at game over and tilt relay. The game over relay was cockeyed contacts touching.

Fixed that and game now works.

To be 100% just need coil for ramp, 1 kicker leaf and new rubbers.

So I'm happy. Cant wait until girlfriend comes home from work to play it.

Only thing "off" is game sits very high. Front legs are 27 rears are 28.5 inches. Game leveled out still runs at a 8-9 degrees. Feels off to me.

#2954 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I really don't know why people do this, manual states 5.5-6 degrees.

I agree 100%. But even jacking front legs up rears down I can't get it lower. Would lead me to think rear legs were swapped out. Can anyone confirm leg sizes.

#2956 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Gottlieb 4337 in my Hot Shots manual is 27 3/8" quantity four..

Thank you for info.

6 months later
#3218 4 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

Working on a Genesis with system 80B boards. Get message "Tilt switch closed". Game will not start or go into test mode. All tilt switches have been checked. Any ideas? Also checked all switches to make sure they were open.
thx

Did you check the relay on far back of playfield? I have bumped this relay on more than one occasion on various 80bs I own while working on playfield raised against back box.

1 month later
#3342 4 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

I'm in!!...again!!

Welcome back in! I agree that 80b is still best bang for buck. Just hope others dont realize this. As there is like 4 more I wanna pick up.

1 week later
#3349 4 years ago

Maybe a stupid question. But is there a way to skip the end bonus on 80b games.

Example- today on hollywood heat I put up a monster score 25mill overall. 9 mill was in the end of game multiball bonus. I was afraid something was going to melt down after the high pitched adding points sound for what seemed like forever.

I Had enough time to go grab my phone off the charger, turn it on, boot up and take video of it adding points still. By time phone was turned on ready to go was still in the low 5 mill left of bonus.

2 weeks later
#3380 4 years ago

Not an 80b question but a general gottleib question. Been heavy playing my Hollywood heat that the lane guide mount broke on the right side by the flipper. Took a pic of left side still in tact.

Is this available separate? Trying to find part number for it to order. The manual for hh does not show that part/part number.

Same bracket is on raven's upper guide as well. Raven manual doesn't show it either.

Thank you in advance

20200203_185841 (resized).jpg20200203_185841 (resized).jpg
#3383 4 years ago

Thanks for the insight and prompt replies. I'll reach out to pbr if my local option falls through. Think a friend has some parts playfields that I may be able to salvage something from. Worse case I can spot weld something to work.

#3384 4 years ago

In case the above might help someone else out- name for that bracket is Flat Rail Clip. Part number is 22277.

2 months later
#3538 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

That's correct. The difference is the Piggy Deux is a unique product that solves the problem of Sys80B daughterboard issues in a plug-and-play way, without having to chance screwing up your MPU board by attempting to remove the existing daughterboard.
The straight-up U2/U3 daughterboard replacements can of course get you to the same place, but will require a lot of TIME and risk to the MPU board. I'd highly suggest anyone thinking of replacing the original daughterboard to first examine your original Sys80 MPU and the daughterboard. The 2.54mm headers they used, that leave little gap around through-holes to suck the solder out -- along with everything being sandwiched together, make it very difficult to desolder and not pull pads or traces. You need a good technique, a lot of patience, and good tools.. and even then, it's not a guarantee you'll remove it without doing damage to your board. Search the forums and you'll see quite a few botched repair attempts on Sys80B boards. That's why I created the Piggy Deux -- it's a different solution and while it can't match the price of a cheaper option, it can save you a heap of trouble and time by allowing you to quickly get your board back up and running with minimal effort or risk.
---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
NVRAM, Bally/Stern LED Displays & Mods for pinball machines

$50 for plug in play is cheap when compared to cost of replacement board if you f up.

I have a vacuum assisted gun style solder sucker along with a dedicated solder station. It's still a pita and semi time consuming to do it yourself. Id hate to try and do this with a regular 2 setting iron and a wick or trigger pump sucker.

I feel your price point is fine. Maybe do quantity discount. I currently have 3 80bs, want 3 more lol.

7 months later
#4101 3 years ago

what are the 80b mpu options these days? I see rd in stock. Have seen Swemmer but no place with them in stock.

Anyone else I'm missing? 1st time needing a mpu board so not certain what's out there.

Thanks

Mike

#4107 3 years ago
Quoted from pinflip_:

If you search on eBay for johan6685 you’ll see all the boards Swemmer has.
As of now (November 14) he only has one system 80 board remaining. Just bought one for my caveman. He is quick to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for info
Purchased it this morning

#4124 3 years ago
Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

I've used 3 of his 80b boards and I have been very happy with them. He also usually has them in stock and ready to ship.

For my future reference seeing we are in same area what's typical timeframe until you receive a board? Looking down the road I have atleast 2 more 80bs I hope to get going this winter. Both do not have main boards.

2 weeks later
#4191 3 years ago

This might be of help to some one in the future.

Bought a new schwemmer 80b mpu.

Installed in game would not boot. Swap the new mpu into another 80b wont boot.

Sent board in was told it is fine bench tested good. Board was sent back.

Try board again- same issues.

At this point I had multimeter and logic probe out. Working with negative tied to blackbox ground If I touched positive lead anywhere on logic path from z3 to u1 leg 37 or to cpu clock speed solder spot and I could get game to boot.

According to manual a sn7404n is installed on z3/11/12/16/17/26/27/34/35.

Swapped chips from 3 to 11 and game boots.

Swapped back 3 11 to original spots doesnt boot.

As of now everything is working with chips swapped from 11 and 3. Can rule out pin drag issue since I installed back no boot.

Chip that was in z3 reads sn74ls04n.

Chip that was in z11 reads 74hct04n

6 months later
#4635 2 years ago

Drug home a spring break to work on. Didnt even plug it in just started ripping boards out doing normal stuff. Yet I have 3 questions.

1 can someone take a pic of ramp area please? Going to order new ramp yet the rig job is impressive. Would like to see what stock should look like. Appears extra post and zip ties?

2 what bulbs are you using under ramps and orange domes so not to melt. Both orange domes are heat melted

3 how did they get Ron Jeremy on the translite?

16247364660458066508269248043998 (resized).jpg16247364660458066508269248043998 (resized).jpg16247364947241938225873324925444 (resized).jpg16247364947241938225873324925444 (resized).jpg16247365171498507056614672791065 (resized).jpg16247365171498507056614672791065 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wind Point, WI
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtkst19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=mtkst19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.