(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2622 5 years ago

Alright I have a dumb question. For the big cabinet capacitor can you use a snap-in 15K 25volt type which is typically used in WPC Driver boards similar to what's shown below? thanks

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg
#2624 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I did and it worked fine, but I ended up replacing it with a computer-grade cap with screw terminals.

Thanks. I tried this last night in my Alien Star which previously had 2 orange 6800 ufd 25v caps banded together (wired parallel) and for whatever reason didn't work? I was planning to buy a computer grade but thought I could get by in the meantime with the snap-in since that's what I had in hand. I'll have to troubleshoot tonight.

#2625 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks. I tried this last night in my Alien Star which previously had 2 orange 6800 ufd 25v caps banded together (wired parallel) and for whatever reason didn't work? I was planning to buy a computer grade but thought I could get by in the meantime with the snap-in since that's what I had in hand. I'll have to troubleshoot tonight.

I have a follow-up to my earlier issue on my Alien Star. The other night I went to replace the 2 ancient orange 6800 ufd 25volt caps that were banded together in my cabinet. I replaced them with a single snap-in 15000 uhf 25 volt cap (non computer grade). After doing this it didn't work. When I turn the machine on it doesn't make any noise. I don't get any voltage on the Power supply board. I checked the 3 Bridge rectifiers in the cabinet and they are all within spec. I do get a small amount of voltage at the fuses but the game just seems dead.-I don't even hear any noise coming from the transformer.

I swapped in the old caps and soldered them in as they were before and it didn't make any difference. I also re-seated all of the connectors in the cabinet. the game is still dead. I checked all the fuses and they are all good, including the cabinet fuse. I even checked underneath the power supply where all the ground and power connections run and everything seems nice and tight.

Does this seem like something that will get fixed by putting in a new Cap or is there other issues? To me it seems like it might be an issue with the transformer or the power (wires) going into it? I know those rarely fail though and the only change I made was swapping in a cap (and then swapping the old one back.). is there a way to test the transformer? what other steps do you test if the problem exists somewhere before the Power board?

thanks!

#2627 5 years ago

Thanks. I've been studying up on pinwiki and Clay's guides but it seems like most of their troubleshooting steps are from the Power driver board onward. I thought it might be a problem with my cabinet fuse clip but I do get continuity. it's very odd!

I just ordered a capacitor online and it should get to me by Friday. Besides that, the bridge rectifiers, the fuses and transformer, is there anything more to test before going to the Power board?

#2628 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I have a follow-up to my earlier issue on my Alien Star. The other night I went to replace the 2 ancient orange 6800 ufd 25volt caps that were banded together in my cabinet. I replaced them with a single snap-in 15000 uhf 25 volt cap (non computer grade). After doing this it didn't work. When I turn the machine on it doesn't make any noise. I don't get any voltage on the Power supply board. I checked the 3 Bridge rectifiers in the cabinet and they are all within spec. I do get a small amount of voltage at the fuses but the game just seems dead.-I don't even hear any noise coming from the transformer.
I swapped in the old caps and soldered them in as they were before and it didn't make any difference. I also re-seated all of the connectors in the cabinet. the game is still dead. I checked all the fuses and they are all good, including the cabinet fuse. I even checked underneath the power supply where all the ground and power connections run and everything seems nice and tight.
Does this seem like something that will get fixed by putting in a new Cap or is there other issues? To me it seems like it might be an issue with the transformer or the power (wires) going into it? I know those rarely fail though and the only change I made was swapping in a cap (and then swapping the old one back.). is there a way to test the transformer? what other steps do you test if the problem exists somewhere before the Power board?
thanks!

Alright, I feel like a dumbass.... The issue was caused by an interlock switch which was located near the tilt bob in the cabinet. Do most games of this era have an interlock? it's not activated by the coin box or the coin door which I found a bit odd. -the switch is angled towards the back of the machine.

#2630 5 years ago

Will this capacitor be suitable for the cabinet? I tried it and the machine doesn't boot and has a lot of static noise?

IMG_20190208_174927 (resized).jpgIMG_20190208_174927 (resized).jpg
#2631 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Will this capacitor be suitable for the cabinet? I tried it and the machine doesn't boot and has a lot of static noise?
[quoted image]

Capacitor is working just fine now. Must have just taken a while to charge up and get acclimated in the machine.

3 weeks later
#2726 5 years ago

What did I do? I was closing the backbox light panel on my Alien Star when all of a sudden I heard a loud "pop" and my displays went dead. Checked fuses and F3 was blown. popped in another fuse and the displays came back on (player 3 had a segment out) but within a few minutes I heard another pop and the fuse blew again and displays went dead. I then unplugged all displays but player one and it powered on and was fine. Did the same for the others and determined that player 3 was the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what happened and what I can do to fix it? If something pops like that is it usually a capacitor? Thanks!

1 month later
#2916 5 years ago

Does anyone have an extra working 7 digit display I can buy? Maybe left over if you upgraded displays?
One of the displays in my Alien Star went out. Pn: ma238 or C-21390.

Are these easily fixable? If I leave this display plugged in none of the displays come on but if I unplug it everything works. I replaced the main 1ufd capacitor and the resistor tests fine on the display. I moved it to the four player slot so I can at least play 3 player games but it would be nice to get everything working. Any suggestions on what to try? Thanks!

#2918 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I might have one, but not sure. I have a box of various displays. I’ll check either today or tomorrow and let you know.

Sounds good. Thanks for checking!

4 months later
#3142 4 years ago

I'm shopping out my Diamond Lady and putting it back together but I'm unsure where these two metal brackets go? Took lots of pics but not good enough apparently. Any one have any ideas? Thanks!

IMG_20190907_134709 (resized).jpgIMG_20190907_134709 (resized).jpg
#3144 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

those usually show up on either side of ramp entrances, zoom in and look closely at this image I think you can just make them out https://www.ipdb.org/images/678/image-10.jpg

You're exactly right. Thank you! Now my ramp will be better protected.

IMG_20190907_144915 (resized).jpgIMG_20190907_144915 (resized).jpgIMG_20190907_145128 (resized).jpgIMG_20190907_145128 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3186 4 years ago

I've been working on getting my Diamond Lady working. Had it playing with the exception of a few switches (3 of the center drops and right sling). In the middle of a game it started going berzerk and a bunch of switches started going off and the score started going up rapidly. After about 20 seconds I shut it off. Now after powering on it boots fine but I'm unable to start a game. None of the switches work and show as open in the switch test. Any idea of what to try next? Ground mods were already done on the game. Thanks!

1 month later
#3265 4 years ago

I finally got my Diamond Lady playing but the issue I'm having is that that my coils don't seem as snappy as they should be.

I can make all the shots but even with completely rebuilt flippers they seem to be on the weak side. And my right target bank sometimes has trouble resetting even after cleaning/rebuilding it. Even pops and slings seem like they are at about 80% of where they should be in terms of power. I have good 5V and 12V going in to the boards.

Any ideas of what I should be checking and what the likely culprit could be? thanks

#3267 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you do the ground upgrade at the transformer?
Did you check the rectifier(s) next to the transformer?

Thank you for the advice!

I did re-flow the solder on the ground PCB boards near the transformer if this is what you are referring to by the transformer ground upgrade? I haven't checked or replaced the rectifiers yet. i will check them tonight and report back.

#3269 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you do the ground upgrade at the transformer?
Did you check the rectifier(s) next to the transformer?

I checked the rectifiers and they were all in the .4-.45 range which may be a little low? I ended up putting in new bridge rectifiers and a new cabinet capacitor and it seemed to help with coil power. It may still be a little weak but the drops have been able to reset everytime so far and everything seems a little peppier. Thanks again the the recommendation.

#3270 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Is it worth it to rebuild a system 80b power supply? Game works great with new power supply but when I install the old original one, the game does really weird things.

It may just need a new pot. Those are notoriously flaky. There aren't many components needed to rebuild so it would probably be worth doing

#3275 4 years ago

Sent you a pm. I generally use the little disc capacitors just because it's clean and easy.

#3278 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I still prefer the NVRAM over the capacitor. If you leave the game off for a while with the capacitor you lose high scores and settings. Not an issue with NVRAM.

As long as you play your games semi-regularly the disc capacitors work well and are much easier to install. I use the same model that Mad_dog recommended above. I drill a small hole for the negative lead and put the positive lead in the + hole. then run a jumper under the board to the negative hole.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I checked the rectifiers and they were all in the .4-.45 range which may be a little low? I ended up putting in new bridge rectifiers and a new cabinet capacitor and it seemed to help with coil power. It may still be a little weak but the drops have been able to reset everytime so far and everything seems a little peppier. Thanks again the the recommendation.

Update. I checked against the manual and the wrong coils are installed in my right drop target bank and left slingshot. Coils that are far too weak compared to what's supposed to be in there. I think this will solve my issue.

3 years later
#6125 11 months ago

My Alien Star was powered on in attract mode for maybe 30 minutes and then the relays and lights started flashing. Now it does this immediately after power up.

I checked voltages and they appear to be fine. I have solid 5, 8, and 12 volts and my high voltage is slightly below the TP voltages. I also tried re-seating connectors but that didnt help. Anyone have any ideas of what to look at next? Thanks

#6129 11 months ago
Quoted from REGNE:

To me it looks as though it is booting to some extent. then resetting. You've confirmed voltages, but I'm wondering if solid 5V? Do you still have the orange cap in the bottom of the cabinet? If so, replace cap. May need to rebuild PS. If battery on MPU, remove battery. Any battery corrosion or grayish leads on components on the MPU?
Once voltages are all good and solid... I think it's MPU. After PS voltages are OK...I would connect it to the MPU, but disconnect the driver bd to isolate just the MPU. See if it boots completely without resetting. If not, then I'd look at reseating U2/U3 & the riots. Nice shiny chip legs?
Could be bad connection between chips and sockets, or maybe a bad riot, or quite possibly battery corrosion. My best guesses at the moment.

Thank you. I replaced the orange cap and the bridge rectifiers a few years ago when I first got the game along with doing the ground mods. The MPU is a Swemmer that I bought new at the time. With that being said I agree that even though it's a basically new MPU that it does seem like it could be a MPU chip or connector issue. I'll try reseating the chips you recommended and try booting it with the driver board disconnected and let you know if I have any success.

20230515_092659 (resized).jpg20230515_092659 (resized).jpg20230515_092721 (resized).jpg20230515_092721 (resized).jpg
#6131 11 months ago
Quoted from REGNE:

MikeS
My original post was considering original MPU with all the corrosion talk.
Sounds like bottom of cab has been addressed.
Is it an original PS? It could be time for a PS rebuild then. Could still be MPU...or better yet edge connections (pins)
Isolating the MPU to boot would still help to diagnose.
My MGOW had an issue... When the outkicker fired the machine would reboot. I rebuilt the PS and it was resolved.
My Touchdown had issues with random resets once it warmed up... replaced sockets at U2/U3 and tarnex chip legs and it was resolved.
Looks like game over light is flashing 3 times before the reset? What is the flashing light on the playfield? ...watching random Alien Star youtube videos now...

It does have an aftermarket replacement PS board. Voltage readings for the test points are as follows along with the suggested TP voltage:

TP1 14.83 (12)
TP2 (GND)
TP3 5.08 (5)
TP4 8.47 (8)
TP5 86 (70)
TP6 56 (62)
TP7 39 (42)

Would TP6 and TP7 testing lower than the stated board values have any effect on the game booting? TP5 seems a bit high.

20230515_095959 (resized).jpg20230515_095959 (resized).jpg
#6132 11 months ago
Quoted from REGNE:

MikeS

Looks like game over light is flashing 3 times before the reset? What is the flashing light on the playfield? ...watching random Alien Star youtube videos now...

thanks. The relay clicking and lights flashing is immediate upon power up and is constant. It doesn't seem like it is booting fully. It just keeps going and all of the relays in the game cycle including those on the coin door interlock. The displays flash and the center red insert on the playfield flashes as well. I don't know if the numbers on the display mean anything or not.

#6133 11 months ago

Does anyone know what this little daughter board is for? If I unplug just this board the game doesn't continually cycle the relays and flashers.

The problem does seem isolated to the MPU. I disconnected the other boards and the problem still exists.

20230515_113628 (resized).jpg20230515_113628 (resized).jpg
#6136 11 months ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Yes. that board is responsible for resetting if a fault is found.
If you simply unplug that board though, you could actually be having a problem... lock coil, etc.
Does everything on your machine work fine when you disconnect it? Problem could also be on that board or connections to/from it. IDC connectors or broken wire at A24-P2.

If MPU still doesn't boot or work properly I usually suspect simple TTL chip... or possibly a riot.

If I unplug the reset board the game does seem to boot up most of the way (the game over light flashes on the backbox) but I'm unable to start a game or get into diagnostics. It doesn't seem like anything is locked on and it still doesn't boot up clean even if I disconnect from the driver and sound board. I think you may be right that it's a chip issue. I've tried reseating but I don't have replacements on hand to swap in to test.

thanks for the help.

#6139 11 months ago

Thanks guys. I have it disconnected now and its no longer cycling the lights and relays. It seems like it is at least partially booted up but I still can't start a game. I think one of the chips on the MPU must be causing issues in the boot cycle.

#6145 11 months ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Do you get zeros on each of the score displays? Is credit display showing remaining credits? Does the high score toggle every 5 seconds? Can you add a credit?

Not tilted?
Ball in the trough and trough switch is OK?
I'm referencing "Touchdown" schematics... replay button is A1J5 strobe 4. I'd look at Z11(7404) at first...and then the switch matrix riot at U4 (6532)

It doesn't seem to be coming up clean. I get weird numbers on the displays and the high score doesn't toggle. I don't think it's booting up all the way. I'm unable to add a credit.

I have had the trough switch issue in the past when trying to start a game. I don't think that's what's at play here.

thanks!

20230517_145354 (resized).jpg20230517_145354 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.