(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maralb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#570 9 years ago

Can overseas members join too ?? I own a Volcano, Black Hole (originally an export model but transferred to a USA version with parts of Volcano and Mars God of War backboxes), Haunted House, Genesis (my favorite 80B game), Monte Carlo, Diamond Lady, TX sector (my 2nd best favorite 80B game), Big House, Excalibur and Bone Busters. I really like these Gottlieb games and also the technical stuff.

In our gameroom in Etten, Holland, there are several more system 80 games as Mars God of War, Ready Aim Fire, Hollywood Heat, Spring Break, Robo Wars and Bad Girls operational and some more in storage......

As being a "repairman" i wrote my own test Eproms for Gottlieb system 80 boards after experiencing some unreliable results and confusing indications from Leon's test Eprom. These are a big help for me as i repair many board for our gameroom and other people as well.

#576 9 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Awesome! Really jealous of your access to that game room too - great concept.
Only Black Hole and Mars in my lineup, for now.

Thanks This gameroom is run by 4 people. I take care of the electronics and a lot of the technical stuff. We are currently working on a Punk!

3 weeks later
#592 9 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Glad to see you here, Marco! You're actually the reason I am allowed into this group. Without your board repair, advise and general knowledge of Gottlieb solid state I wouldn't have dared to dive into the System 80-games. Thanks!

Thanks Jasper! Very rewarding to repair your boardsets; you did a great job with Night Moves and Rack 'm Up. Do you already like the background music of that one ??

5 months later
#661 9 years ago

Well, last weekend I visited THE pinball event for Gottlieb system80 guys in Sorgues, France. Except 4 games, every system 80 game was there. I met very nice people and see some very special games....

P3010790.jpgP3010790.jpg

P3010791.jpgP3010791.jpg

P2280755.jpgP2280755.jpg

P2280753.jpgP2280753.jpg

P3010778.jpgP3010778.jpg

P2280769.jpgP2280769.jpg

P3010795.jpgP3010795.jpg

/\/\arco

#667 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

What games were missing then?

The Games, Punk!, Force II and Rack 'm up. And I doubt if I did see a Diamond Lady.

Quoted from woz:

Please post some more pics as well

ok

P2270737.jpgP2270737.jpg

P2270739.jpgP2270739.jpg

P2270741.jpgP2270741.jpg

Not a Gottlieb but also very rare, a Voltan:
P2280749.jpgP2280749.jpg

P2280756.jpgP2280756.jpg

P2280758.jpgP2280758.jpg

P2280759.jpgP2280759.jpg

JR Karr (très sympa!) doing some battle damage repair:
P2280764.jpgP2280764.jpg

P2280770.jpgP2280770.jpg

P3010786.jpgP3010786.jpg

Next year we'll be there again!

/\/\arco

#674 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can you provide more info about this event?

It is a yearly event, every year there is a different theme.

http://flipsud.fr/

Quoted from blownfuse:

Yep, Jean-Rene's System 80/80A/80B collection is truly amazing

Besides that he is a very nice guy!

Quoted from blownfuse:

I hear that they were going to try and beat my show record of 8 Spirit's

I counted 3 Spirit's there.

Marco

2 years later
#1781 6 years ago

Also keep in mind that after rectifying the 25V AC you will need a capacitor to flatten the voltage. This will result in a 35V DC voltage which will smoke your motor. You will need to use a series resistor to bring the voltage down for the motor.

I am in the same boat by the way. The auger motor in my Big House is busted too. I am working on a solution with a stepper motor. Can be a nice Arduino project if you are in to that.

But curious about your results with this motor. Good luck and keep us informed!

Marco

#1783 6 years ago

I hope you are right, it will make things a bit easier. I don't know how this type of motor will respond on an 100Hz DC voltage with a 35V top value. I am curious about the result.

2 months later
#1934 6 years ago

Where did Gottlieb get their inspiration from?

badgirls_crop (resized).jpgbadgirls_crop (resized).jpg

michael (resized).jpgmichael (resized).jpg

4 months later
#2261 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anyone know where I can download eprom 0 for tag team pinball?

You can download the freeplay gameroms from here:

https://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php

2 months later
#2450 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I just completed the sound mod on my Sys80B Night Moves and now instead of having a working, playing game with no music, I now have a game that lights up and doesn’t do anything else. Won’t coin up, won’t self-test NOTHING. I’m pretty upset over it :/ I thought the ground mod would help and it’s made it so much worse

Ground mods are not needed in those late system 80B games. Especially using the 5V heatsink as a groundplane is WRONG. Is there 5V present over the 100uF cap on the CPU board?

#2452 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I was recommended to cut all of the molex plugs that ground into the metal box the transformer and ground them directly to the plate, which is what I did tonight.
I don’t know how to measure the 5v, I’ve looked all over on pinwiki and I have a multimeter I’m just unsure. Am I supposed to put the test probes directly on to the legs of the cap? I don’t have a strong electrical background unfortunately so finding these test points has been a struggle. Also I was trying to find more guidance on checking the voltages on the soundboard :/

Gottlieb used decent connectors at those later system 80 games; 0.156KK with trifurcated crimp terminals at the transformer assy. Just repin those if you are in doubt a next time.

You know where to find the +5V powersupply with the heatsink? It has 2 connectors; the outgoing +5V side is where a little potmeter is located. Put the leads from your multimeter in the 2 most outer pins. It should read 12V (or -12V with the leads reversed). If present, put the black lead in the pin where the white wire goes in at the incoming side and put the black lead in one of the pins at the putgoing side. It should read +5V or something close tpo that (> 4.9V, < 5.2V). If present put the 2 testleads from your multimeter over the 100uF cap close to the small power connectpr on the MPU. It should read +5V again. If a voltage is missing, check your freshly made connections at the transformer assy (pull at those wires), and also the +12V fuse at the transformer assy.

Hope this helps….

7 months later
#2976 4 years ago

2N5884 are okay. You can try to add a 4K7 0.25W pull up resistor to the Base of this transistor, the resistor permanently connected to 25V.

Like this -> 25V ---[ ]--- Base 2N5884.

It is a modification Gottlieb standard performed with the under playfield mounted PNP transistors in later system 80 games starting with Black Hole.

7 months later
#3335 4 years ago

The upper one (MA992) probably comes from a Bone Busters (kickback, left-below) and has a different timing and a jumper in stead of a diode.

Change:

resistor 33k (triple orange) -> 12k
resistor 150 Ohms (brown - green - brown) -> 220 Ohms
Cap should be 4u7
replace jumper wire for diode

1 month later
#3436 4 years ago

System 80 popbumper boards are getting their +5V supply voltage from the switch matrix connector J6 at the CPU board. If this connector is damaged -often by a leaking battery- the popbumper boards will behave in a weird way - retracting the coils for example when powering up.

2 weeks later
#3501 4 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

Unfortunately, it only supports just 3 early system 80b game.
I am more specifically looking for an MA-766 or aftermarket sound board.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-766

If desired….I do have a few of those for sale. As I live in Europe, shipment won't be cheap however…. Send me a PM for details if you are interested.

Marco

2 months later
#3658 3 years ago

No it is not. On those newer style 80B mechs, the return spring runs from the other side of the crank (above the switch leaves) and is hooked on the most far wire lug which needs to be reinstalled here with the lug facing upwards. There are 2 installed here but you only need to use only one, most far from the crank. This wire lug needs to be isolated from the switch leaves. Rotating the lane changes switch leaves would do the trick if it is a seperate stack.

Quoted from swampshroom:

Hello gottlieb guys and girls. I'm working on a Night Moves. Someone had completely removed the entire right flipper mecs from the underside of the playfield. I've ordered all the parts from PBR and was informed that the flipper return spring is discontinued. I was sent an A779 spring as a replacement. Can someone please confirm that I have this spring ran correctly.

1 month later
#3742 3 years ago

Another tip...take care when tightening the flipper crank to the shaft of the flipperbat. When it is too low, the whole flippercrank will rest on the lower bearing and when it too high you will get a sticky flipper. The last issue most of us will be aware of, but with the double bearing baseplates Gottlieb uses in system 1 and ststem 80, the first will be an issue too and you will loose power. It can be a bit of a hassle to get the crank floating between the 2 nylon bearings.

1 month later
#3881 3 years ago

I wouldn't use the heatsink as a GND. The metal case from the LM338K regulator at the heatsink is connected to 5V. It is isolated from the heatsink with a thin mica shim. You are creating a potential short circuit between 5V and GND when connecting the heatsink to GND. It is safer to run GND wires to the yellow strap in the head as you suggested before.

4 weeks later
#3948 3 years ago

I think its not some hackwork. It is a different version with Dionics (level converter) IC's which you don't see often. Not sure if the resistors inside the SIL resistor networks are used as pull-ups or series resitors. At most of these displays UDN6118 or UDN6184 are used. Atari also used Dionics IC's at some of their Gen1 displayboards and the Display Controller in Williams System3-6 games can also be configured for using Dionics level converter IC's.

2 months later
#4232 3 years ago

Seems to come from a Volcano....additional rectifier with capacitor (which can be removed). I should expect issues if there are any with wiring and connectors.

1 year later
#5365 1 year ago

Reproduction backglass for Devil's Dare made by Coos. Anyone see something special?

IMG_4600 (resized).jpgIMG_4600 (resized).jpg

#5370 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Seems to be more beings populating the backglass than there is in the original ?

Quoted from gdonovan:

Proto sexy version

Coos took the sexy Devilines from the proto backglass and added them to the production backglass. They can stay as far as I am concerned

#5378 1 year ago
Quoted from crussell:

I’ve heard that this board can be the cause of a lot of issues.

Be aware there are 2 versions of these daughterboards/piggybacks. At earlier system80B boards, these are single sided boards and these are the ones which develops problems like cracked solder joints. Later, Gottlieb changed them to dual sided boards with plated holes. These are much stronger and rarely develop problems. Verify this before removing a daughter board / piggyback. As Slochar mentioned, they are hard to remove and the risk of damaging traces and plated holes at the cpu board when done without proper equipment and experience is high.

5 months later
#5853 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

He's looking for a motor for Spirit, which is 28 VAC.

Whoops, sorry about that. I was assuming it was intended for Black Hole...... Same seller however has similar 24VAC alternatives.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799837629191.html?

1 year later
#6408 4 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Hello,
I'm looking for PROM1 & PROM2 #706 for Spring Break. I've been unable to find them. Any help?

https://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php

1 month later
#6465 81 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have a friend that had the auger motor go out on big house. Anyone know of a suitable replacement?

I bought this synchronous motor at AliExpress and 3D printed a new coupler and shim. Works perfectly! The parts are printed in PETG, the shim needs 4 M4 threaded inserts and the coupler needs 2 M4 or M5 (don't remember) grub screws. I do have the STL's if you are interested.

IMG_5719 (resized).jpgIMG_5719 (resized).jpg

IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpgIMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg

IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpgIMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg

For the motor you need to specify a D shaped shaft, 24VAC, 30-36RPM and a CW (clockwise) direction of rotation.

Search for TYC-50 or JS-50B at AliE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maralb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=maralb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.