(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,183 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by cp1610
  • Topic is favorited by 214 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,029 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190904_093907_resized (resized).jpg
20191001_103025 (resized).jpg
20191001_110942 (resized).jpg
20191001_110901 (resized).jpg
20191001_110727 (resized).jpg
20191001_104510 (resized).jpg
IMG_65041 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_144915 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_145128 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_134709 (resized).jpg
20190907_130201 (resized).jpg
20190907_130151 (resized).jpg
5F2D05BD-912F-44C7-A73A-60C2C8CEB5FE (resized).jpeg
IMG-20190907-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
20190817_104602 (resized).jpg
20190816_102612 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luzur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#961 3 years ago

Owner of a fully restored Volcano (it was stored in a very damp and dirty garage for a couple of years before i got it) here.

1 month later
#992 3 years ago

Well i had the bros over for a G&B (game & beer) evening and one of them pats me on the shoulder when i was standing and talking to another bro and tells me that my Volcano smell like burnt electrics!

Ran over and unplugged, and started to open up the backbox and the smell got stronger + smoke vafted out, nothing looked out of the ordinary/burning bright in the backbox so i let my nose wander down into the cab and lo and behold one of the bumper coils where like turning into melted cheese.

So i opened everything up, aired out the putrid smoke and unsoldered the red-hot coil (i had to use gloves to even touch the metal holders), naturally the only shop in Sweden didnt have the coil Gottlieb A-1496 so i had to order from Germany.

First time ever for me that a coils burns, gave me a fright LOL

3 years later
#3029 3 months ago

So, im gonna chime in with a quick question, i have a Goldwings that ive gotten to live again, it boots, credits up, starts a game and you get ball, sound, music, lamps, kickers, bumpers, flippers and everything, but alot of switches dont register at all, while others do, for example, the 3 targets on the aircraft carrier works like normal, but the others on the left dont, same with the 3 rollover switches up on top, neither reacts when rolled over, neither of the "roundabouts" react, but the ramp switch and the loop switch does.

Is this a chip or a matrix problem or a contact problem? have a steady 5.01 volts all the time and ive cleaned and scrubbed every contact in the game like 2 times now and ive resoldered everything that is solderable.

Its the last problem now before i got a fully working Goldwings.

#3032 3 months ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I had the same problem with my System 80 Amazing Spider-Man. It ended up being a switch that was closed. Just go through all switches and check off the ones that register. For the ones that do not register, are they part of the same switch number? It has to do with the switch matrix.
Another problem could be caused by bad contacts at the driver board.
Hopefully this helps.

Looks like this during a game:

gw (resized).jpg
#3034 3 months ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I would definitely check the contacts if you have those edge connectors for the driver and mpu board. I'm assuming they are edge connectors for your system? It seems you have a variety of switches that are not activating. Also, check your manual for the switch matrix and see if the non-activating switches are along the same row or column. One switch can affect the others on that same row or column...can't remember if its row or column.
1. Check edge conectors at driver and mpu board for all wires associated with your switches.
2. Cross-check the switch matrix with the picture you posted above and see if there is a pattern. One switch can affect others along the same row/column.
3. You may need to repin. It's a fun project.
4. If repinning does not solve all switch problems, list your non-activating switches and see if there's a pattern to the failure. I ended up having one Switch number (several locations) affected because one particular location had a switch closed (maybe caused by installing new rubber rings)..

Well i did a brave thing and tested putting my Hollywood Heat MPU in Goldwings, and then voilá all the switches/game worked as normal, so its a chip/MPU problem on the Goldwing MPU, so much is clear now.

the game do say "Memoy error - Z5" in testmode, and it signals like a load of switches are clsoed when they arent IRL, like the switches that dont work.

1 week later
#3053 3 months ago

So bros, men, the ROMs on Gottlieb sys80b (Hot shots), are they easily found (and what number do they have other then just 2764? all i can find in the manual) brand new?

#3055 3 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Search for arcade emulator sites.

Ah, i already have the files, i meant the chip itself.

1 month later
#3113 67 days ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Added a Volcano to my Gottlieb early SS lineup ...[quoted image]

Man i miss my Volcano, fun game

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 299.00
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luzur.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside