(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#403 10 years ago

I've been in this hobby for 13 years now. I got hooked on pinball in the 90's and love the classics from those years. But I am starting to love System 80 pins. Always had a thing for rarer pins, and you don't see many early 80's Gottliebs in the Netherlands.

My current collection has 5 Gottliebs, in various stages of repair: Black Hole (US version), Haunted House, Volcano, Rack 'Em Up and TX- Sector. Used to have a Spirit, too. But sold it too early.

I've just recently started a new Youtube channel. 2 videos of my Gottliebs are on there now:
- a Black Hole gameplay video (running on Pascals PI-80 X4):

- The ground mods, done on Rack 'em Up:

More will follow! Including the cleaning of my Rack 'em Up. Which is very necessary, as you can see in the ground mod video. So subscribe and 'like'!

1 month later
#468 9 years ago

This is what my Rack 'em Up looked like when I bought it a few months ago. Turned out to be one of the dirtiest machines I've ever come across as a collector. This is the original ad on Marktplaats. Marktplaats is the Dutch Craigslist, sort of.
Screenshot_2014-01-31-17-39-44.jpgScreenshot_2014-01-31-17-39-44.jpg
The machine was inside a warehouse where they stored and sold car tires. It had been sitting there non-working for longer than the current owner knew about. He told me the machine was already there when he moved his company in, about 10 years ago. He never saw it in working condition. Judging by the sheer amount of dirt inside the machine, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been sitting there for 25+ years.
DSC00167.JPGDSC00167.JPG
Still, I had good hopes for the machine when I got it. Underneath the dirt there seemed to be a decent playfield. Nice backglass. Pretty clean boards. And no vital parts missing. No broken plastics even. Just the lock bar and the coin slots on the coin door were missing. Replacement parts for these were easily found.
20140308_181630 (1).jpg20140308_181630 (1).jpg

Post edited by Jappie: Changed picture

#469 9 years ago

I'm not much of a tech myself, so I wanted to make sure the machine was working before I started cleaning it. Luckily, my friend Marco is a technical genius ánd specializes in Gottlieb. He fixed the boards for me. After that, I did the ground mods. Result: Yes!!! The machine worked!

Now it was time to clean the machine. Boy oh boy, the dirt on this one. It was everywhere. Inside and out. Dirt on top of dirt. The pictures actually don't do the amount of dirt on this machine justice.
DSC00163.JPGDSC00163.JPG
Did I mention the game was dirty?
DSC00167.JPGDSC00167.JPG
...but it did clean up nicely!
DSC00173.JPGDSC00173.JPG
...and underneath the dirt was indeed a decent playfield.
20140503_091157.jpg20140503_091157.jpg
However, it did need some touch-ups.
20140503_100929.jpg20140503_100929.jpg
To protect the playfield and touch-ups, I protected the playfield with a durable, mylar-like film. I don't like the feel of clearcoat on these older games and never intended to do a high-end restoration.
20140507_222257.jpg20140507_222257.jpg
In the picture, the touch-ups are visible. When you stand in front of the machine, you really have to look very close to even see them.

#470 9 years ago

This is the result. I'm very happy with it. It really feels like a new game when you play it.
IMG_20140512_223127.jpgIMG_20140512_223127.jpg
Rack 'em Up turns out to be a great player, especially in multiplayer games. Its basic playfield does clearly show what state pinball was in in 1983. It's fairly sparse compared to games that came out two years before it. But, at least Gottlieb didn't choose to take the Bally (Mid)way out by using cheaper parts.
IMG_20140512_222628.jpgIMG_20140512_222628.jpg
In the Netherlands, Gottlieb games from the Mylstar years rarely show up. And I really like to own good games that most people have never heard of, seen or played.
IMG_20140512_223030.jpgIMG_20140512_223030.jpg
IMG_20140512_222826.jpgIMG_20140512_222826.jpg
I might change the drop targets for originals someday. Let me know if you've got these and want to sell!
IMG_20140512_222741.jpgIMG_20140512_222741.jpg
Hope you guys like the pics. Next in line for a restoration: TX Sector.

#473 9 years ago

Thanks, guys.

You're right, It is a cool looking and playing game. I'll make a gameplay video for it when I have the time. It occurred to me that there's hardly any video material on Youtube for this game.

1 week later
#489 9 years ago

As promised, a video of one of the lesser known (and lesser loved?) System 80's: Rack 'em Up!
Enjoy and please let me know what you think about it!

#503 9 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments on the Rack 'em Up video, guys! Really makes all the work worth the effort! If you like the vid, remember to subscribe to my Youtube channel. More System 80-stuff coming up!

Quoted from woz:

What camera did you use - I really liked the close-up slow motion shots early in the vid.
I assume the spinner shot should make it to the top rollovers...did you fix that yet?

I used a Sony Alpha 3000.

The spinner shot should indeed normally make the rollovers. Most of the times it does, actually! Only in this video, it never happens. Go figure. Still, you're right. I have to fix that. Should go right every time.

3 months later
#590 9 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Can overseas members join too ?? I own a Volcano, Black Hole (originally an export model but transferred to a USA version with parts of Volcano and Mars God of War backboxes), Haunted House, Genesis (my favorite 80B game), Monte Carlo, Diamond Lady, TX sector (my 2nd best favorite 80B game), Big House, Excalibur and Bone Busters. I really like these Gottlieb games and also the technical stuff.
In our gameroom in Etten, Holland, there are several more system 80 games as Mars God of War, Ready Aim Fire, Hollywood Heat, Spring Break, Robo Wars and Bad Girls operational and some more in storage......
As being a "repairman" i wrote my own test Eproms for Gottlieb system 80 boards after experiencing some unreliable results and confusing indications from Leon's test Eprom. These are a big help for me as i repair many board for our gameroom and other people as well.

Glad to see you here, Marco! You're actually the reason I am allowed into this group. Without your board repair, advise and general knowledge of Gottlieb solid state I wouldn't have dared to dive into the System 80-games. Thanks!

3 months later
#652 9 years ago

Hey fellow Haunted House owners! I've noticed some differences in the 2 Haunted House backglasses I have. Topic: www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-differences-in-backglasses

Anybody know anything about a change in production in these backglasses?

Differences in the purplesDifferences in the purples
Differences in the reds, purples and image clarityDifferences in the reds, purples and image clarity
The word 'Old' and 'New' in the pictures references to the time I've had the backglasses. The 'old' one was originally in my machine. The 'new' one is just as old, but I've bought it recently.

1 month later
#663 9 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Well, last weekend I visited THE pinball event for Gottlieb system80 guys in Sorgues, France. Except 4 games, every system 80 game was there. I met very nice people and see some very special games....
/\/\arco

Wow, cool! I would have really loved to be there.

Just out of curiosity: which System 80 games were missing?

Post edited by Jappie: added quote

3 months later
#717 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Screenshot_2015-06-22-09-42-18.png
I'm in! Picked up a Spirit, needs a bit of work so i'll be back here with some questions from time to time! First one is about the power supply, it came from Zimbabwe (yes seriously, a guy here got 2 shipping containers full of machines from the African continent) so it's operating on the same voltage as Australia, is it now just a case of changing the plug that goes into the wall? The manual is a bit vague..

Wow, cool buy! Playfield looks pretty alright.. How's the backglass?

I'm interested to follow the progress you make restoring this game. Good luck!

#719 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am 3/4 to that. Guess I need to seek out Arena and see if it clicks for me like the other 3 have.

I think Arena is a nice game. My brother owns a very nice one that I like to play it when I'm there. Great sounds and an original layout. I do think though that games like TX-Sector and Genesis are of quite a higher class. Also, for me, the luck factor is too high on Arena (the 1 million-shot from the Pit).

Haven't played Excalibur and Robowar enough to form a good opinion about those.

#723 8 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Your backglass and playfield appear to be in good shape...

It does! And the playfield looks like a perfect candidate for a clearcoat. The playfield shouldn't be too hard to touch up, because most of the wear is in the black area.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd dare to remove the mylar from a Spirit. I've seen horriffic results on one example. The playfield quality on that Spirit was very bad, which made a lot of paint come loose from the playfield when the mylar was removed.

3 weeks later
#747 8 years ago

When I bought my TX-Sector about 2 years ago, it had some typical Gottlieb wear by the flippers and some wear at the dropdown from the shooter ramp.
flipper damageflipper damagedrop damagedrop damage

So, when I started working on the project about 6 months ago, I decided to take off the mylar, repaint the wear and clearcoat the machine. But a little more than just the mylar came off... OOPS...
after mylar removal 1after mylar removal 1after mylar removal 2after mylar removal 2

I decided to repaint the damaged areas and proceed with clearcoating the machine. Yesterday I finished the project. I'm very happy with the results! A bit proud even. The machine really was in sorry shape after the mylar removal. But not anymore!
result 1result 1
result 2result 2

I love it when a project works out as well as this one. TX-Sector is a lovely machine to play, too!

#753 8 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

I'm "kinda" looking for a clean Goldwings to round out my trifecta of fighter themed pins. I have a nice Williams F-14 and a Capcom Airborne, so a Gottlieb seems appropriate. Please let me know if you have or know of one available. Thanks.

Not to mess up your trifecta, but that fighter collection kinda screams for an Operarion: Thunder. Which is an awesome pin as well.

Just sayin'.

2 months later
#783 8 years ago

Not really loving my TX-Sector right now. It's giving me kind of intermittent switch problems. Some of the switches just don't work lots of times. It's mostly the drop targets. Stupid thing is, when I close them manually, they work fine. Adjusting them doesn't seem to help. And when it does, it's only a temporary solution. After a few games that switch becomes flaky again. Even replacing the whole switch doesn't always work: switch works, but stays flaky.

Diodes test fine.

Anyone who knows the reason and maybe even a solution for this? Thanks!

5 months later
#1000 8 years ago

Woops... I now have 2 Haunted Houses... this second one fell into my lap as the icing on the cake in a great package deal. This one has a very nice playfield and a fixable backglass.
my second!my second!
Both my HH's are projects. I will probably fix and clearcoat them side by side. I'm thinking about keeping one original and customizing the other to speech and multiball, using Pascal's PI-80 X1.

All in good times though. Got other projects that will come first. I'm a lucky man.

1 month later
#1013 8 years ago
Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

I recently came across a Rack 'em Up that is nice cosmetic condition.

Any suggestions? I haven't played it yet, so I'm not sure how fun it is as a game.

Congrats, Rack 'em Up is a great game! I'd keep it, if I were you. This one will probably be a pleasant surprise once you've cleaned it up. Nice oldschool gameplay with some nifty rules. Also, it works very well as a multiplayer game. You don't see them often.

I've made a video of its gameplay a while ago, which I posted a few pages earlier in this thread. If you do a Youtube search for something like "Rack 'em Up pinball how the hell do you play it?", you should definately find it. It should give you a good idea of how the game plays. Oh, and good news: the 'music' can be turned off.

1 week later
#1027 8 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

Joining the club! Got my Night Moves delivered a few weeks ago but it didn't come with keys. So as someone in Australia who has been trying to get my mitts on this machine for the last two years, this is what I had to deal with:
* Dodgy eBay seller, possibly dealing with a fake bidder to start with, plus trying to gouge on delivery (went with a third party instead)
* No keys, though there are test videos of said eBayer playing the machine, so maybe he just got shirty that he wasn't going to get what he wanted price-wise. Getting into it took around two weeks of hacking away at the locks
* Fiddling with the 4x4 molex power loom thing to convert it from 110V to 220V.
But it's finally up and running! Still need to find out a few things (like where the battery is, how to change the playfield angle, if that's even possible) but that's all somewhat secondary to actually having the game in my hands. And being able to post in this thread, of course

Welcome to the club, and congrats on your machine! Night Moves is a nice little game, literally. Mine is standing in a corner of the living room right now. It surprises people, too. At first glance, you don't even notice that it's a pinball machine.

Was Night Moves actually the last System 80B ever made?

1 week later
#1038 7 years ago

So today I picked up this new game: a 1985 Hot Fire Birds by (West-)German manufacturer NSM. I had never before seen one in my life. Technically, not a System 80. Still, I'm posting about it here. Why?

Well, the interesting part about this machine is that the playfield seems to have been made by Premier/Gottlieb. Judging by the parts on and underneath the playfield, I'm 99% sure that the entire populated playfield came from that company. Pinball Resource still has NOS playfields and plastic sets for this game, too. The board set and cabinet are definately not Gottlieb, though. There is an interconnect board inside the head that receives the Gottlieb edge connectors from the playfield, and puts out different connectors that run to the NSM mpu/solenoid driver board. Makes me wonder if it would somehow be able to run on a system 80 boardset.

It's a fascinating beast. Hope I'll be able to get it running. If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge about this game, I'm anxious to hear it. Was this a (rejected System 80-)design that Gottlieb sold to the Germans? Or a German design that Gottlieb just did the manufacturing for? I'd love to hear the story.
backglassbackglass
playfieldplayfield
under playfieldunder playfield
manufacturer plaquemanufacturer plaque
interconnect boardinterconnect board

#1042 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Owl People from outer space!

I know! And I must say... it's my favorite Owl People from Outer Space-themed pin yet.

1 week later
#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from cgaw69:

where is the ramp

The entrance is in the upper middle of the playfield. It's quite hard to miss, actually.

JOKING of course. Congratulations on your Excalibur! A lovely and pretty rare 80b game!

1 week later
#1098 7 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

Or, check out these: http://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php
A rom version which under one particular credit/coin DIP switch setting, the credits are automatically reset to maximum whenever the credit count reaches "0" and the Start button is pressed.

The roms on the aforementioned website essentially give all sys80B's a Free Play option, without needing any hardware mods. I've got them installed in my TX-Sector and Night Moves, and cannot recommend them more. Works perfectly.

2 months later
#1125 7 years ago
Quoted from JMP:

Editing this earlier post, I now have an Excalibur, Arena re-acquired and Hot Shots has gone (as did Victory before it). Looking for a Diamond Lady, Rock and Bounty Hunter to complete my System 80B want list.

That's a lovely collection of 80b's!

There's a Diamond Lady for sale just across the North Sea. According to the owner, it's supposed to be collector quality. http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/verzamelen/automaten-flipperkasten/m1075420254-diamond-lady-in-verzamelstaat.html

Should you go on a trip to buy it, you're more than welcome for a coffee or beer and some pinball at my mini gameroom in Amsterdam.

8 months later
#1388 6 years ago

The following questions are about the awesome System 80B game TX-Sector. I've posted them on the TX-Sector club topic as well, but traffic is a little higher here. I hope someone can help me.

Question 1: Is there a way to make the ball roll on the right ramp smoothly?
A clean, full-powered shot from the upper left flipper often gets rejected on my machine because the ball seems to create some weird bounce on the far right part of the ramp. I suspected the ramp entrance at first, but can't find a part that would stop the path of the ball from being smooth. Anybody who had this problem and solved it?

Question 2: Am I losing it?
The voice sounds that the pop bumpers make are just awesome, as anybody that has played this title can confirm. But I swear that sometimes that pop bumper voice whispers "I'm Here!" after a bumper hit. Creepy as hell! I wasn't able to capture it on video as it doesn't happen often, about once in a hundred games or so. Can anybody confirm? Either that I'm losing it OR that the "I'm here!"-quote is actually in the game?

Many thanks!

#1390 6 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

ball bobble happens on this game...
and thats that !
you need to have a perfectly time clean shot for it to be smooth...

Thanks for your reply, Gerry!

I am talking perfectly timed and aimed shots. They enter the ramp lightning fast, don't hit a post or anything, create the bounce on the far-right, almost make it to the sweet spot of the ramp, and roll back just before it. It happens too often for it to be a coincidence.

Quoted from Gerry:

as for the voice not sure, cant remember, but it is possible as the game says all sorts of cool things...

It sure does. Man, the sound of this game. It's perfect.

1 month later
#1454 6 years ago

I've made a gameplay movie for the last original System 80B-design: Night Moves.

Hope you guys like it. Enjoy!

9 months later
#1926 6 years ago

Bad Girls confiscated the house!
IMG_20180316_235042 (resized).jpgIMG_20180316_235042 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#2132 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have one for my BH, awesome board. Has menu and high scores saved. Also I think he now has the sound board addon for the US spec BH gen so you can really do an all in one. Also added is free play and other game specific features

I second that. Great product. Great customer support too.

Here's my BH running on one.

3 months later
#2421 5 years ago

Finally finished my Bad Girls and I'm pretty psyched about it. Awesome game!

It got the full led treatment. With some tasteless details, like cold white GI and hot pink flashers. This game just begs for stuff like that.

Gotta love the 80's badness in this part of the game room!
IMG_20180922_184150 (resized).jpgIMG_20180922_184150 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180922_183947 (resized).jpgIMG_20180922_183947 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#2636 5 years ago

Made a gameplay video for all you lovers of Bad Girls out there. Be proud!

1 year later
#4220 3 years ago

Picked up a rare one today! A Striker that has previously been used as a parts machine. I'm excited to get it up and running. Looks like it should play like no other pin.

However, getting it to work will be tricky. Anybody got a System 80/80A transformer panel for sale? Mine is missing completely...

IMG_20201212_232125 (resized).jpgIMG_20201212_232125 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201212_233311 (resized).jpgIMG_20201212_233311 (resized).jpg

#4229 3 years ago

Ok, so I have started looking for a transformer panel for my Striker. Now I have been offered a panel from a System 80 machine which looks similar, but slightly different.

Question for the technicians: could the panel that I have been offered be used for the Striker? If yes: Are modifications needed? And if yes, How hard would these be for somebody that knows how to handle a soldering iron, measure voltages and replace connectors but is by no means a professional pinball technician by heart?

Picture 1 shows the transformer panel that should be in my Striker, but is missing:
Picture 1Picture 1

Picture 2 shows the transformer panel that I have been offered:
Picture 2Picture 2

2 months later
#4422 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

(...) I took the jodyg approach and grabbed a LED replacement.

(...)

I think this is a mandatory conversion for these games.

Agreed, 100%. I think the original fluorescent tubes are the main reason for the original translights of the system 80s to fade.

Pro-tip: if you install one of those led tubes that can rotate to face any direction, turn it to face the opposite direction (so towards the boards). This way, the translite only gets indirect light. The light is spread over the translite more evenly and makes it less bright, giving the image much better contrast. Also works great in Stern games from the zeroes.

1 month later
#4505 3 years ago

Received this in the mail from PBR last week.

It'll probably be quite a while before I have the time to restore the machine. But: it's reassuring to have the most important part I need to do so. Especially since I might not be able to find this part ever again.

It cost me as much as the machine itself did. And it will definitely be clearcoated before a ball ever rolls over it.

20210327_163950 (resized).jpg20210327_163950 (resized).jpg
9 months later
#5086 2 years ago

I just moved into a new appartment and decided to fill the hallway with framed backglasses. 6 of them in total, 3 of which are Gottlieb System 80s.

20220123_232415 (resized).jpg20220123_232415 (resized).jpg
20220123_232139 (resized).jpg20220123_232139 (resized).jpg
20220123_232101 (resized).jpg20220123_232101 (resized).jpg
20220123_232027 (resized).jpg20220123_232027 (resized).jpg
20220123_232040 (resized).jpg20220123_232040 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#5266 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

A new translite for Excalibur is available. Its got a lot more color to match the pf and horses to go with the sounds. If anyone is interested pm me.
[quoted image]

Nice, definitely one of the better efforts as far as alternate translites go. How's the image quality when printed on a large surface?

8 months later
#5885 1 year ago

My Striker is finally on its way back! A big project: it is a former parts machine and came without boards and without a transformer panel. I built one from donor parts from a Volcano. Which are the same parts, but in a completely different setup. (80 vs 80A)

Next step: make sure everything is technically ok. After that: playfield swap with a NOS one.

By the way, you gotta love the way Striker and Centaur II look next to each other. Their color scheme and art style are almost complete opposites.

IMG_20221228_002342 (resized).jpgIMG_20221228_002342 (resized).jpgIMG_20221228_002829 (resized).jpgIMG_20221228_002829 (resized).jpg

#5888 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I don't think I've ever seen a Striker before! Looks like a really really cool game, and I'm not even a big football/soccer fan. I hope you'll be able to do a youtube video on it when you're finished!

Quoted from FatPanda:

Looks like a really interesting game! Thank you for sharing! I would also like to see it in action.

Cool and interesting for sure! Striker is one of the last of the larger no expenses spared Gottliebs. Just before they went back to making standard sized games with simpler layouts and without expensive things like speech.

Definitely one of their lesser known titles, too. It's super rare even here in The Netherlands, where football (you know, real football ) is the #1 sport.

It's one of only a few titles I'd spend as much time and effort on as I am, without having ever played it. I'm just very curious about the gameplay experience it offers. It certainly is unique. I've read good things about it.

I'll definitely post a video once it's done, but that could take a while. In the mean time, check out @klyguy533's very informative videos on the game:

1 week later
#5901 1 year ago
Quoted from DawnP:

Jappie We just picked up a Striker ourselves. Missing the triangle plastic between bottom gate and pop bumper. I think I can manage something for that. The displays worked briefly, but don't now. We have replaced the fuse twice to no avail. Next call is for a tech. Gave it a good clean down & wax, replaced the rubbers all around, some star posts. Still plays and is fun even if you don't know your score.

DawnP
Hey how cool, another Striker owner! Any pictures?

Mine is the other way around: it doesn't play yet, but the displays do work. I have a Pascal board installed. It indicates a coil error that I'll have to look into.

The plastic you refer to is broken on mine. I have a NOS set waiting to be installed though. There should be a good one in there. Let me know if you need a scan.

2 months later
#6072 1 year ago

Does anybody know who the main software guy was for Gottlieb around 1982? I really dig the code on my Striker and would like to know who's responsible for it.

Ipdb used to credit Allen Edwall for it, but when I reached out to him on Facebook, he said he didn't do that game.

2 months later
#6162 10 months ago

Just got some pictures in from the clearcoater.

The paint on this nos Striker playfield was -really- brittle, so there really wasn't any other option than a clearcoat. It came out amazing!

Before:
IMG-20230524-WA0019 (resized).jpegIMG-20230524-WA0019 (resized).jpeg
After:
IMG-20230605-WA0032.jpgIMG-20230605-WA0032.jpg
IMG-20230605-WA0033.jpgIMG-20230605-WA0033.jpg
IMG-20230605-WA0034.jpgIMG-20230605-WA0034.jpg

1 week later
#6169 10 months ago

IMG_20230617_133737 (resized).jpgIMG_20230617_133737 (resized).jpg
You're looking at Gottlieb's way to incorporate the Lane Change feature to the upper 'GOAL' lanes on my '82 Striker: a 5v switch attached to the high voltage eos flipper switch. The eos is on the left of the red tab, Lane Change is on the right.

To me, this solution looks quite unsafe. The paper divider with the red tab on it is the only thing that seperates 50v flipper power from 5v switch power. Both wear and human error can cause big problems to the boards here.

I'm about to restore this machine and would like your opinions.

2 questions:
1. What's your opinion on Gottlieb's approach to this? Safe or unsafe?
2. If unsafe, any ideas on how to create a durable safer situation?

Many thanks for your replies!

Off topic: yay, my 1000th Pinside post!

#6171 10 months ago

Hey, that's catchy.

IMG_20230617_142805 (resized).jpgIMG_20230617_142805 (resized).jpg
#6172 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

1> Everyone did it that way then, with the risks involved as you indicate.
2> Use a plastic lifter like Bally did instead. Less likely to wear and break than the fishpaper insulator.
Put heat shrink on the terminals. You can even put heat shrink on most of the switch blade and just leave the 5v contact exposed at the end.
The biggest thing is NEVER adjust switches with the power live. One slip=blown chips

I like the idea of the plastic lifter and I really like the idea of putting heat shrink on the terminals. I'll try to make it so that only the contacts themselves are exposed.

Thanks @Slochar!

#6174 10 months ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

And for additional safety you can install the diode protection for your switch matrix. You socket 2 of the ics and this board plugs into the sockets and add protection diodes
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/103#post-6750517

Interesting! Is something like this needed on Pascal's PI-80 board too? That's what my game runs on.

2 months later
#6253 7 months ago

I've just finished a playfield swap on my Striker. It looks and works beautifully, except for the two yellow pop bumpers. And... I can't wrap my head around why that's the case.

I've exchanged the pop bumper driver boards with those of the two working pops to check if they work: all four pbdb's work fine. There's voltage on the coils and they have 3,8 ohms resistance.

Any ideas on where I should look next?

Picture for attention.

IMG_20230904_223538 (resized).jpgIMG_20230904_223538 (resized).jpg

#6255 7 months ago
Quoted from sparky672:

All four work fine? What does this mean? The four pop bumpers work when you swap boards? All four boards work when used in other pop bumper positions, but the two pop bumpers don't fire? Two verified working driver boards don't work when in those two positions?
How did you verify voltage at the coils? The ground connection is what fires the coils. Is the ground path solid through the pop bumper driver board connector?
The pop bumper driver board also need 5 volts to operate. Are you getting 5 VDC to those two boards? The connector pins may be loose/bad for those two boards.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant all four pdbd's work fine when I test them in the white pop bumpers.

Will check for the ground connection and 5v at the pbdb's tomorrow. Many thanks for the suggestions!

#6259 7 months ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I've just finished a playfield swap on my Striker. It looks and works beautifully, except for the two yellow pop bumpers. And... I can't wrap my head around why that's the case.
I've exchanged the pop bumper driver boards with those of the two working pops to check if they work: all four pbdb's work fine. There's voltage on the coils and they have 3,8 ohms resistance.
Any ideas on where I should look next?
Picture for attention.
[quoted image]

Solved! Thanks @sparky672. It did turn out to be a missing 5v. One of these terminals was not connected.

PXL_20230905_071834587 (resized).jpgPXL_20230905_071834587 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#6471 73 days ago

I'm looking for the German sound rom files for my Striker. Got the USA and French ones already. Anyone?

Picture for attention.

IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpgIMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.