(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inkochnito.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2356 5 years ago

Count the light bulbs.
Each draws 0.25A current.
So four of them adds up to 1A.
Look at the GI fuse and that's your limit.

Most of the time they are up to the limit in number of lamps.
Led's may be the only way to add more.

Peter

2 weeks later
#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Does it matter if I change the cables on the popbumper lampsocket. Someone has done the worst job and I cant see witch of the lampsocket side that will have 2 cabels to one lug. Cant find it in the Dragon manual.

No, it does not matter.

Peter

2 weeks later
#2436 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Added encouragement for ground mods. Buddy of mine has a tx sector that wouldn't kick a ball on start and acted like switches weren't hit during a game. On a whim I grabbed a bunch of test leads and connected the grounds to the ground strap and most of these problems went away. Time to break out some wire and do some ground mods.
He thought he didn't need to do this because the power supply and mpu were aftermarket.
Now we have 2 issues left. No power to slings and kickers and no speech.

Check out my advice on the ground mods for Raven..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-raven-new-project-machine
I still need to add this info to Pinwiki.
Maybe someone is willing to help me with the Pinwiki...

3 months later
#2582 5 years ago

Check the tilt and game over relay contacts.

2 weeks later
#2607 5 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

I have rebuilt all 4 flippers on my Gottlieb Star Race. I still have problems making the figure 8 loop at the top left corner. The current flipper coils are A-17875, is there a replacement coil with a little more "umph" ?

New EOS switches?
New cabinet switches?
Tilt relay with clean contacts?
Game Over relay with clean contacts?
Ground connection is firm?

1 week later
#2629 5 years ago

Yes, it's very common.
Sometimes the switch is bend back to avoid the game being switched off when opening the coin door.
You can also just pull out the switch.
You may accidentaly have touched the switch and forgot to pull it out again.

3 weeks later
#2680 5 years ago

That would be the ball release.
Check the transistor under the playfield.
Also check the pull-up resistor.
Otherwise is could be L12 (Q13) on the driver board.

Goldwings (resized).jpgGoldwings (resized).jpg
#2694 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I noticed the knocker is missing it’s fuse on this Gold Wings. I’m still learning how to read schematics, could someone confirm if I traced the knocker to a 8amp fuse?

Yes, you are correct.
The knocker is the number one burned coil in Gottlieb games.
Most of the time when you get a Gottlieb game the knocker has been cut or burned nice and crispy.
It's one of the coils Gottlieb didn't fuse seperatly.
Just add a fuseholder near the knocker coil and put in a 1A slo-blo fuse.

And yes, the 8amp fuse is the main fuse for ALL the coils.

#2714 5 years ago

Try the dips on the sound board....
Dips 3 and 4 to OFF.

Mars_sound (resized).jpgMars_sound (resized).jpg

#2740 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi all,
I'm having trouble with my Count-Down. Two coils are locking on. I've changed transistors, but they remain locked. I have a new driver board coming, hopefully that will take care of the issue, but of course don't want to blow out any transistors on the new board.
here's a question....
I'm checking the under pf transistors as per Clay's site. I've disconnected the wires that run to the driver board, using a DMM, putting red lead on the case, 1 of the transistors checks as Clay describes, .5 from Collector to Base, and .5 from Collector to Emitter. The other transistor measures .5 from collector to base, but OL from Collector to Emitter. However, When I remove it from the machine, the transistor tests good.
Any thoughts?
TIA

Which coils?

#2747 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

The blue and yellow drop target reset coils.
I've also noticed locked on lamps.

Those two have under the playfield transistors and are driven via L17 and L18.
You will need to add the pull-up resistors under the playfield for these two (if not already done).
Check the two big metal transistors under the playfield.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Remote_Mounted_Transistor

Which lamps are locked on?

#2759 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I haven't added pull up resistors yet, any suggestions as where to take the 24v from? The fuse block is not near the under pf transistors on Count Down.
Thx

Just ad a resistor between the Base and the Emitter of the transistor.
The 24V sol-bus is already on the coil.

Pullup_circuitry_2 (resized).pngPullup_circuitry_2 (resized).png
#2782 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi All,
So I just received my new driver board. Is it still recommended to install a pull up resistor, or it it unnecessary with after market boards?
THX

Yes, the transistor under the playfield still needs it.

#2796 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

OK, Disregard that last post.
I'M AN IDIOT!!!! I'll say it loud and in front of the whole group.
The fuse blew, and I replaced it several times, removing the possible short each time in order to isolate the issue. As it turns out I was accidentally replacing the 5a sb fuse with a 2a
Put in 5a and all is well, except for the issue of L28 not working.
Lesson learned, maybe someone else can learn from this as well. At least I didn't put in a higher valued fuse.
SO, that brings me back to the original issue. L28 not lighting. There is continuity from the wire at the socket to the transistor (Q36). Q36 tests ok while still in the board.
Any ideas? Replace Q36 just in case? As a side note.... I'm pretty sure it's not the transistor, as when I had a different driver board in, the same thing was happening.

Did you try connecting the emitter of Q36 to ground?
Does the lamp light when you do that?
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MPSA13-D.PDF

#2797 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Pinball pool left droptargetbank wont reset, its nothing mechanical. Game is like brand new on all levels including .156 connectors in housings. I did meassure the under playfield transistor but its a brand new so know thats not the one. Tried with other cpu and driverboards. Have a new powersupp intalled. Was unsure when b-relay is going to be activated so took a broken janincard and did drivertest...b relay clicked so cant be that. I have volts to every lug on the coils, b relay, fuse and transistor. Meassuerd coils and they are all ok. Still no reset. Done the usual before bootup check. Everything is really nice and shiny. The left droptargetbank work as it should just not resetting.
Any tips

B-Relay is only for the drop target memory coils, not the reset coils.
Check Q17 (L17) on the driver board.
Check connector A3J5-1.

#2801 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Did try with another driverboard that works on another pinball pool and the same. A3j5-1 is like new. Should I jumpwire from a3j5-1 to where?

If you changed board and nothing changes, it has to be the playfield.
Did you add a pull-up resistor?
It might not change the problem, but it is highly recommended.

You can try something a bit harder to test the driver board.
Disconnect the base of the transistor and add a lamp in its place.
One side of the lamp connected to the 6V of the other controled lamps.
The other side to the base wire.
The Q37 should turn on the lamp.
If that is true, replace the transistor under the playfield.

#2807 5 years ago
Quoted from Silverballbrain:

has anyone ever tried to mod the voice recordings of a Devil's dare machine with different tracks? Is it possible? Just curious.Thanks

There is no voice recording in the chips.
It's a different type of voice syntisizer.
http://www.redcedar.com/sc01.htm

1 week later
#2850 5 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

#1 I think is a bad driver board. I have continuity from the 500,000 lamp base to pin #9 of the connector but there is no output. Thoughts? How do I isolate one lamp driver line to determine if it is the driver board or MPU?

The driver board switches to ground. So you never get an output.
You need to check the voltage at the lamp.
If the lamp doesn't light, you must have 6VDC on either side of the socket.
If not, the bulb or socket may be broken.

1 month later
#2987 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Hey guys, I am going through the power supply on my black hole, and I have found one anomoly I can't explain. I understand this is an unregulated power supply, so I don't expect to find exact voltages coming out of it, but the +6v circuit has me concerned. Right now it is putting out a perfect +12v dc. Should I be concered about this? Or is this something common to system 80 machines?
[quoted image]

Are you sure you have the premary wiring correct?

1 week later
#3000 4 years ago

I'm back in the club.
I've got a Hot Shots game to restore.
CPU with battery damage and connectors to replace.

IMG-20190525-WA0011 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0011 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0008 (resized).jpg
#3010 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I had my cleopatra working great but after a week of play it has developed a problem where two chime coils and the right saucer coil lock on when the game is turn on.
I switched driver boards and the problem still occurs. Is there anything I need to check on the mpu? Anything else it could be?
Ground mods are done, stock mpu, stock driver board, aftermarket power supply.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd look at the diagram of the MPU and see if the 3 items are related in any way as to what is controlling them.

It looks like Z6 controlls them all.
Gottlieb_CPU (resized).jpgGottlieb_CPU (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3017 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I’m working on restoring the flipper and bumper power on my Black Hole, and I came across something in the wiring diagram that I find a bit disturbing. Is there any protection against shorts to ground built into the +24v or +34v circuits that run the flippers or bumpers? I’d be worried that if one of these circuits grounds out, it could take the transformer with it.

Put a fuse in line with each coil, allthough most coils already have a fuse.
Look in the manual at page 15 & 16.
All fuses are mentioned....

#3018 4 years ago
Quoted from jugood20:

While I was playing a game this evening on my Bad Girls, the left up kicker stopped firing the coil. The switch recognizes the ball, but is not kicking the ball out. I checked the fuse (F13) but it appears the fuse looks fine ( the F13 fuse also is tied to the right kicker which is working as it should. Anyone have any ideas? Photos attached. Thanks !

Do you have voltage at the coil?
Did you check the connector?

#3022 4 years ago

Today I've updated my website with Tech Charts for the Gottlieb System-1 games.
All 16 games are added to the Tech Chart section as well as in the Gottlieb section.
If you find any errors, please let me know and I'll correct them.

Enjoy and have fun,
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl
If you like my work, please send me a donation via PayPal.

Tech Charts added for:
Gottlieb Asteroid Annie and the Aliens
Gottlieb Buck Rogers
Gottlieb Charlie's Angels
Gottlieb Cleopatra
Gottlieb Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Gottlieb Count-Down
Gottlieb Dragon
Gottlieb Genie
Gottlieb Joker Poker
Gottlieb Pinball Pool
Gottlieb Roller Disco
Gottlieb Sinbad
Gottlieb Solar Ride
Gottlieb The Incredible Hulk
Gottlieb Torch
Gottlieb Totem

2 weeks later
#3057 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Question:
I found these switches on my system 80A sound board, and am not sure how they should be set. Should they both be pressed towards 1 & 2, should they be pressed towards open, should only one be open, or ?
I currently have no sounds or music so that’s why I’m asking if the switches are correct.
Thanks!

If you are unsure wheather they are on or off, check them with a DMM.
Here are the settings for the switches...
Gottlieb_sound (resized).jpgGottlieb_sound (resized).jpg

I also found this setting for older sound boards....

Gottlieb_sound_80 (resized).jpgGottlieb_sound_80 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3080 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you Monte Carlo owners could help me out. Working on one with the two 67 flashers on the sides of the roulette wheel are lock on. For some reason I am having a terrible time deciphering the manual and can't figure out which transistor controls them. They have the main driver board and two aux driver boards. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it
Thanks

I assume you mean lamp #17.
These lamps are driven via an aux. transistor board.
I've posted an image from Diamond Lady, which has a 3 driver board, because the ipdb doesn't show them.
I assume the aux. driver board is mounted under the playfield.
Yours should have 4 transistors.
Q4 may be bad.

Peter

MC_playfield (resized).jpgMC_playfield (resized).jpgDriverboard_schematic (resized).jpgDriverboard_schematic (resized).jpgDriverboard (resized).jpgDriverboard (resized).jpg
#3083 4 years ago
Quoted from dfrazer:

Expanding on Inkochnito's screenshot from the Monte Carlo Manual....
[quoted image]
.....does that map over to the following.....
[quoted image]
If so, are we referring to the Auxiliary Lamp Driver Board (A11)? I believe that this is the board that is located under the playfield to the right of the Resistor Board (A13) that contains the 4 resistors that are used for the 4 pairs of #67 Lamps:
[quoted image]
Am I correct in my assumptions?

Nope, incorrect aux. lamp driver board.
Those are used for the running lights around the 10 million sign.

1 week later
#3109 4 years ago

Check the switch matrix and if there are more switches missing.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Gottlieb_Joker_Poker_Tech_Chart.pdf
A1J7 looks fine.

1 week later
#3129 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

My Monte Carlo has been working fine and all of the sudden there are 4 switches that won’t register. The left lock saucer, left ramp made switch, middle left top lane and the right inlane target switch that opens the right gate. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this?

Check the connector pins.
Old and metal fatigue will break them.
Not to mention the battery residue is a killer too.

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

The 4 switches problem ended up being a broken wire under the playfield on one of the diode boards. Also found and fixed my random reset problem by flowing solder on the daughter board pins.
The only problem I can see now is my “5” insert light is constantly on in attract mode. Would that be a diode issue and where is that diode located?

Check Q39 on the driver board.
It's a MPS-A13 transistor.

1 month later
#3157 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone with a good system 80 board for sale? I have a game to bring back to life. Current board has damage over a wide area and I'm not sure worth investing my time.

A bit expansive, but the PI80 might be an option.
https://www.flippp.fr/pi80.php

Another option is a Rottendog board:
https://ksarcade.net/rottendog-mpu080-replacement-for-gottlieb-system-80.html

Or Ni-Wumpf....
http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System80CPU.html

#3166 4 years ago

Did you replace the flipper button switches and the EOS switches?
Check the Q relay for good contact.
Did you do the ground update/upgrade at the transformer?

1 month later
#3266 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I finally got my Diamond Lady playing but the issue I'm having is that that my coils don't seem as snappy as they should be.
I can make all the shots but even with completely rebuilt flippers they seem to be on the weak side. And my right target bank sometimes has trouble resetting even after cleaning/rebuilding it. Even pops and slings seem like they are at about 80% of where they should be in terms of power. I have good 5V and 12V going in to the boards.
Any ideas of what I should be checking and what the likely culprit could be? thanks

Did you do the ground upgrade at the transformer?
Did you check the rectifier(s) next to the transformer?

#3281 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I still prefer the NVRAM over the capacitor. If you leave the game off for a while with the capacitor you lose high scores and settings. Not an issue with NVRAM.

I've had a mem cap in my Counterforce.
I hadn't turned it on for more than 10 months, high score was still there....

2 weeks later
#3308 4 years ago

I have a Hot Shots game too.
I had a hard time finding the rubbers for the accelerator.
Now I've found them in France.
The game is located in a somewhat cold envirement (not moist, just colder than home play).
The rubbers are too hard for this colder place.
They work fine around 20 degrees C, but under 15C it does not let the ball through.
Anyone had this problem too?

#3321 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Well, ive lumbered the Goldwings i had problems with out from hibernation now again and still have that Matrix problem i asked about earlier.
Ive checked allt he switches in the affectad areas, and no switch is stuck, and as i figured out earlier if switched to my Hollywood Heat MPU, it all works, so its clearly a MPU problem.
Now on Gottlieb sys80b, what controls the Switch matrixes? a chip, right? which one would it be?
[quoted image]

Try Z11 (7404 chip)
These chips are easily damaged.

Page_23-24-25 (resized).jpgPage_23-24-25 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3365 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Anyone here know how many pages an original Volcano manual have? A friend of mine is asking since his manual seems to be missing pages since it only have 18 but some "parts lists" on page 15 lists more stuff then he have.

If it is the pdf file, it is the same as I have.
Your are missing the schematics, as do I.
When you look at page 15 you will see it goes up to page 40.
You can always use the generic schematics from other System-80 files.
If someone is willing to share the full version, please send me a copy too.

#3372 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

And also I've been having some issues that are sporadic with the drops for my game. Most of the time they work really well. And that is saying something for a 40 year old game. But, I really would like to get them fixed so no more sticking. Sometimes when I hit them, they don't go down. They stay up and really rigid. Sometimes they'll then start to slowly slide down, and then finally get sprung near the bottom and snap all the way down. They reset no problem and sometimes they start back to work normal like how they should...

Take the target bank apart and clean every drop target.
Grease is your problem.

Quoted from Diospinball:

Then I got a question about the spinner. It spins decent. But, I think it can be juicer. Any tips on how I can get that working better.

I always use a little teflon spray on a q-tip. It makes the plastic spinner turn easy in the metal ring.

Peter

4 weeks later
#3463 4 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I’ve been fixing a Genesis for a couple of months that came to me totally wrecked. I’m close to fully operational but having an issue with the soundboard. The board originally did not work but after bench testing it against a good board I have almost all the sounds working.
It is not playing any switch sounds. I’ve been methodically replacing ICs and testing using the schematic but no luck. You can see from the attached picture the ICs I’ve changed because I’ve added sockets. I’ve also tried swapping the ROMs.
Can anyone help me understand which part of the board is responsible for switch hits? My baseline test is using the credit switch to see if a sound is made. With a working soundboard the game makes the add credits sounds. With this soundboard it doesn’t. Is there anyway to determine from the schematic which data line makes this sound?

The sound is split into different channals.
The first one is coming from sound generator K4 (AY-3-8913) and going via pre-amp H1 (LM324). C7 is a small suspect.
The second is coming from DAC at E2 (AD7528J) and going via pre-amp B1 (LM324) and also using pre-amp A5 (LM314). C13 C37 are a small suspect.
The third is coming from sound generator H4 (AY-3-8913) and also going via pre-amp H1 (LM324). C23 is a small suspect.

You can easily discover which one you are missing.
Take out one of the chips (K4, H4, E2) and listen if any sounds disappeared.
Put it back in and goto the next.
Remember to turn the machine of when doing so.

Peter

1 week later
#3471 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone have a single System one or System 80 6 digit display for sale? Worse case just need the glass.

Yes I do, but I think shipping to the USA would kill the deal. (35 euro)
Look on my wbesite and click on the Bridge Board image.
Goto the Parts section.

Peter

1 month later
#3567 4 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

hey guys, got a question hopefully someone can answer. I have a Star Race where I have two problems after I moved it. Displays 3 and 4 are missing every 'one' that should be displayed on them. also I find that the game will randomly reboot during a game, every third game or so.
yet for the last 4-5 years it was playing fine.

The usual suspects....
Connectors, ground upgrade....

#3569 4 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

hmmm, ya the ground update is done. and i have disconnected and re-seated all connectors 5ish times. i even switched out the interconnect harness. but all to no avail.

If the connectors are good, check Z16.
That is the inverter gate for the h segment for player 3 and 4.
A 7404 chip, happens often...

1 week later
#3578 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Hi Gottliebers!
Anyone got an original spring break translite for sale or have an hires scan or photo of one?
Drop me a pm!
Best regards
Peter

There are alternatives available (with boobies).
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=Spring+break+translite

Ahh, there out of stock.
Darn....

#3587 3 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Spiderman..right flipper burns 24vac coil fuse. As fast as touching the cabinet button it blows.
Changed coils, diods, cabinet switch and bridge rectifier...it blows direct when pushing it. Its on a spiderman. Where do I go from here?
Could eos switches do this?

Yes, they could if wired incorrectly.

1 week later
#3623 3 years ago
Quoted from BaymenCoach:

Quick question for Rock/Encore owners....
Does the game make a sound when players are added to the game? All of my other 80b games do but my Rock doesn’t seem to at all. Wondering if this is the programming or an issue with my game. Thanks for the info in advance..

I've tested this in PinMame and the same as you say.
No sounds when adding another player.
For a Rock machine, the sound doesn't rock that much...

2 weeks later
#3664 3 years ago

Did you do the driver board ground upgrade?
I've got information about this upgrade that will combine all 16 ground wires on the driver board.
Not just one additional wire....
Gottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdfGottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdf

#3675 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Can someone please post the resistor values for Gold Wings top right (blue) flasher? There are two wired on mine, one is a 4ohm 10w however the other is fried and unreadable. Thanks!

The manual says 8 ohm 5W wire wound.

Gold_Wings (resized).jpgGold_Wings (resized).jpg
#3686 3 years ago

Sure, no problem....

Hot_Shots_matrix (resized).jpgHot_Shots_matrix (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3750 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Just picked up a Hot Shots. The Pop Bumper coil doesn’t fire but the spoon switch registers points. Diode is good, haven’t checked the coil yet. Any other feedback on what I should be looking for?
Also need a manual if anyone has one on electronic form. Thanks

Check the pop bumper board fuse.
F15 under the playfield.

1 month later
1 week later
#3866 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m getting a lot of random flickers of garbage rapidly spiraling across my displays on my Night Moves. Also a few lamps are out or flickering.
I’ve done all the grounding mods.
What might be my issue and how do I check?

Check the contact in the connectors.
The manual is available from the ipdb.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3507
That can direct you to the right connector.
You can also upgrade the driver board with some extra ground connections.
There is a way to add 16 ground connection to the board with just some jumpers added to the board.

Gottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdfGottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdf
1 week later
#3882 3 years ago

You can also modify the driver board ground.
There are 14 ground wires going to the driver board!
Here is a pdf file for this modification...

2 months later
#4113 3 years ago

I'm looking for some help with the switch matrix and solenoids for James Bond 007.
I need the wiring information to complete the Tech Chart I'm creating.
I have a manual pdf, but it does not have the schematics.
Anyone here can shoot me some images please?

Peter

2 weeks later
#4168 3 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Ok, im stumped bros, i burned two new roms, Rom1 and Rom2, for a Hollywood Heat that got one of its Roms turned the wrong way during a boardswap, and this is what i get:
https://streamable.com/ohotkm
Is it the Roms still, or is it the daughterboard? or bad motherboard? or what?

The game does not boot.
Your need to replace the eprom that you had in the wroung way.
It's broken forever...

4 weeks later
#4294 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

In another not, one of the through hole kicker coil is pretty toasted, i wanted to change it and the associated transistor but the manual does not seem to give a coil table or a clear schematics for the driver board to which coil is driven.
Am I missing something or should i just check the coil driver wire color and check against A3J4 and A3J6?
[quoted image]

It should be an A-16570 coil according to the manual.
The coil is driven by an UTP (Under The Playfield) transistor, which is driven by Q13 (MPS U45) on the driver board.
Most likely the driver board is just fine and the large transistor under the playfield is bad.
Don't forget the fuse....

Ball release (resized).jpgBall release (resized).jpg

1 month later
#4399 3 years ago
Quoted from UltraPeepi:

My Haunted House has an all in one Pi 80. When I run the coil test, all the coils fire as expected except COIL 2 gives Err 2. According to the book, solenoid 2 is the upkicker from the lower playfield (which makes sense - because that's when the game malfunctioned). Err 2 means "No current is flooding through the coil, although the coil is energized".
I know the up kicker coil is good, because when I close the contact that triggers the coil, it fires. The contact is closed by a gate relay (A-20558). The book says the resistance should be 156 ohms. It measured a bit low (115 ohms). So I replaced it. But I get the same error.
Any ideas?
(dupe post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-coil-2-err-2#post-6107764)

Check the connector "fingers" at connector A3J4-13 and A3J4-10.

#4401 3 years ago

I've had a Counterforce (System-80) with a 1F memory cap.
It lasted for a year before losing the memory info.
Works perfectly.

5 months later
#4681 2 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Quick question... Old system 1 tone board... It's always worked, but the sound doesn't make the tone like it's supposed to... Volume is there, but the sound almost sounds like a putt-putt-putt instead of the beep it should be. I redid the electrolytic caps, but it hasn't helped. Any idea which component to check next before I just shotgun the whole board?

Check the voltage at the amplifier chip.
I think it should be 24VDC.
If the sound is the same for all three tones, replace the amplifier chip, LM380N.

4 weeks later
#4722 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Can anyone with a Rock or Rock Encore confirm whether there is a match number on the display at the end of a game? I noticed today on mine that nothing comes up for the match. Maybe this was reprogrammed out with the Rock Encore ROM? Thank you.

No, it is still in there.

Check dipswitch 26.
Off = number to match off
On = number to match on

#4723 2 years ago

double post...

4 months later
#5053 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Does anybody know where to find instructions to convert an 80A to an 80B? a guy I'm doing some work for wants me to try it he's running out of places to find 80B boards thanks

It should not be too hard to do.
There are some chips to be removed and jumpers to be placed.
A daughter or piggy bag board to be added.
There is much information on the http://www.pinwiki.com website.

1 month later
#5146 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Is there a list of what each dip switch does on tx sector?
The energy level resets after each ball. I assume this is a hard setting. I'd like to turn it off if possible.

Here is an image from page 6 in the manual.

Gottlieb_TX-Sector_Dips.jpgGottlieb_TX-Sector_Dips.jpg
1 month later
#5270 2 years ago
Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

I am looking for a copy of Raven sounds ROMs. Please send me a PM if you have a copy you could send to me.

PM send....

#5282 2 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Hey guys - quick question for you…
Picked up a Hollywood heat a couple months ago. Had the boards gone through. Ground mod was done in the cabinet. Game works and plays great but I’m getting what I assume is some weird display stuff.
Best I can explain is that when a digit/letter is not being used it it still somewhat lit. Was like this when I got it.
Seems as though it’s most noticeable when there are less digits lit up ie scrolling through on attract mode. When it gets to the recent scores ie 00000000 for each player it seems like it’s less noticeable.
Couldn’t really find any info/or similar issues. Anything I can focus on to try and resolve this? I’m new to Gottlieb
Pics below
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Check your display voltages.
Maybe one of the is on the high side.

Gottlieb_System-80B_display_power (resized).jpgGottlieb_System-80B_display_power (resized).jpg
#5284 2 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Interestingly, if I download and run the virtual version of this table in Visual Pinball, Switch 31 behaves the same as my real machine (Switch 31 does not disable background sound despite what the manual says). Is it possible that a newer version of certain ROMs or PROMs exists for The Games (i.e. a newer version of U2, U3, or the game PROM)?

Nope, just the one version available.

1 month later
#5372 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Reproduction backglass for Devil's Dare made by Coos. Anyone see something special?
[quoted image]

Nice touch those little Shedevils.
A combination of the pre-production glass and the regular glass.

4 weeks later
#5440 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

folks, is there a guide to convert a system 1 (in this case Cleopatra) to 220v?
Neil.

Does this schematic help?

Gottlieb_transformer (resized).pngGottlieb_transformer (resized).png
1 month later
#5492 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Posted this in the tech forum and received no replies. Any help is appreciated…
Haunted House outhole solenoid isn't energizing. Every thing else plays fine when I manually eject the ball. The out hole switch is fine as it ends a game and resets the lower drops when the ball drains.
In fact as long as the ball is on the out hole switch it cycles through the reset process and stops when I remove the ball - so I know it is good.
Coil Ohms are good, grounding the coil activates it.
Tested Q59 it was good. I replaced it anyway. I can activate the coil from Q59 so I know the wiring is good. I also checked the relevant traces to make sure my soldering was good.
I have continuity from Q59 to the MPU board beyond the connector, so I know the connectors and traces are good to right before U6- 6532-3.
I reseated U4 U5 and U6. All legs looked OK.
Still nothing.
Did I miss anything along the way or is it time for a new 6532 or board repair/new board? I don't have a probe and never used one.
This machine has had the connectors re done recently and the grounding work recommended in pinwiki.

Did you also do the driver board ground upgrades?
That will tie all the gound connection to the board.
That results in a massive 16 ground connections to the board.

I thought it was on the Pinwiki page, but it isn't.
I will attach the pdf file here...

Peter

#5494 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

The last tech that worked on this machine did a lot of grounding work and tied all the boards to additional ground points in the head, but I'll have to double check to see if he did the on-board items in your pdf.
However, Sol #1 & #9 use the same ground and #1, the cellar kickout, works fine in both test and when playing. The only other solenoid that isn't working is #8, the knocker, and I haven't investigated that yet since I didn't think it was related.
If I need to do these upgrades what type/gauge of wire do you recomend?

I don't know what gauge (size) wire is in your country.
I used a small wire type (used in an UTP cable AWG 24?) as it will not carry much current.
It is just a backup ground connection, not a main ground wire.
Just like some of the board traces....

1 month later
#5639 1 year ago

Does noone know the specs for a replacement potentiometer for the volume control in a 80b?

Here you go...

SpringBreak (resized).jpgSpringBreak (resized).jpg
#5641 1 year ago

Thanks.
What about size? I know I could measure but lost my tape measure in the house renovation recently.
It's not my pin, I'm borrowing it and just wanna order a new pot.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/XO-199

#5653 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Actually looks like it's missing all pages 19 through 43. It's weird, and no idea where this site got those in the first place. The Volcano manual from that site is missing everything after page 17. I ended buying an original from eBay.

The file I have for The Games is also missing the same pages (schematics).
Furtunately we can use other files for the schematics, though not for the specifics like coils and lamps.

I have a full manual for Volcano.
All schematics included plus some extra's.

Peter

2 months later
#5814 1 year ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Anyone have the wire color layout for the right side pop bumper? Jacks To Open pin... Mine wasn't working and I checked someone hacked it out. I found the proper switch but I'm not sure what wires go where. Thanks!

The wire with black-black-black stripes and the wire with the blue-brown-brown stripes are for the count switch.
That would be the highest in the stack and is activated when the pop bumper pulls in.
It does not matter which wire goes on which blade.
There is no diode on the switch (its on the diode board elsewhere).

The spoon blade should get the orange-orange-orange striped wire and the black-red-red striped wire.
Again, it does not matter which wire goes on which blade.

Let me know it you need the manual file.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

2 weeks later
#5854 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Does anyone know what Gottlieb game was the first to feature the "status report" by holding a flipper? Robo-War has one, but it doesn't look like TX-Sector has one (can someone please verify this?). Do any System 80B games prior to Robo-War have one, or any games after Robo-War that *don't* have one? I know ROM space was tight then, so I'm just curious if it might have also been game specific.

Try Genesis.....
Tested with PinMame and this was the first System-80B to show something when you hold the flippers.
Not much, just the playfield scoring multiplier.
Hot Shots and Excalibur too.
I have not tested them all.....

3 months later
#6019 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi guys,
Does anyone know what Q30 controls on Count down?
My yellow drop target bank coil locks on. Q30 appears to test badly (in circuit). I thought the pre driver was Q17, which tests good. I have not tested the under PF transistor yet.
Thanks.

Does this file help?
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Gottlieb_Count-Down_Tech_Chart.pdf

Q30 is the Green Target Bank Reset (if the manual is correct).

#6022 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

It does. Thank you.
Is that on your site?

Yes it is.
Look in the Tech Chart section.
Not all the Gottlieb games are there jet.
I plan to do the remaining Gottlieb games at a later time.

#6025 1 year ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Robowar: For some reason I cannot cycle through ROBO lights at the top of the play field using my flipper buttons. Flippers work fine. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Check your right flipper.
Not at the button, but at the mech EOS switch under the playfield.
There should be a double stack of switch blades.
One for the flipper EOS and one for the lane change.
Do not get them mixed!
The flipper is coil voltage and the lane change 5V switch matrix.

Lane change is Switch 46.
Use the self test function in switch test mode.

#6027 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are you sure it’s at the cabinet button? It might be at the flipper mech. So if you don’t see it at the cabinet switch, check the mech.

I stand corrected.
I've editted the text accordingly.

1 month later
#6123 11 months ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Can someone with a Hollywood Heat send me the lamp matrix or the transitor list for the lamps? Need to check on one lamp, customer doesn't have the manual. Thanks!
Please DM me

PM send....

2 months later
#6186 9 months ago

Nice image.
This I can work with.
I've added to apron label 25299-E to the instruction cards file.
It will be on my website at the end of the month.

Perhaps you can send me a clear straight on photo (and size) of the playboard fuse ratings label?
It is located under the playfield.
I could add it to the file too before uploading.

Here is a copy of the file with the 25299-E label.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl
If you like my work, please send me a donation via PayPal.

Gottlieb_Monte_Carlo_25299-E.pdfGottlieb_Monte_Carlo_25299-E.pdf
9 months later
#6530 13 days ago
Quoted from Sammer:

Going through Spring Break and replacing what's old and tired. Any suggestions on how make a new sticker for the ball launcher cover? I haven't come across any replacements for sale.
[quoted image]

Can you send me a scan or straight down photo?
I can create a file for it.
I also need the size.
Please send it to [email protected]
I can send you a file in return (which I can't do via Pinside).

Peter

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7.50
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider inkochnito.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=inkochnito and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.