(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hootowls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#497 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Where is the best place to send boards for repair? Any places to find good condition ones ready to go for a reasonable price?

Couple of other places to look at options:

https://ksarcade.net/cpus-mpus-2.html?manufacturer=5

EBay user johan6685 (Swemmer Electronics) / YouTube channel Gottlieb Pinball (same guy)

ebay.com link: usr
https://www.youtube.com/user/TherewillbeCREATIONS/about

3 months later
#574 9 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Can overseas members join too ?? I own a Volcano, Black Hole (originally an export model but transferred to a USA version with parts of Volcano and Mars God of War backboxes), Haunted House, Genesis (my favorite 80B game), Monte Carlo, Diamond Lady, TX sector (my 2nd best favorite 80B game), Big House, Excalibur and Bone Busters. I really like these Gottlieb games and also the technical stuff.
In our gameroom in Etten, Holland, there are several more system 80 games as Mars God of War, Ready Aim Fire, Hollywood Heat, Spring Break, Robo Wars and Bad Girls operational and some more in storage......
As being a "repairman" i wrote my own test Eproms for Gottlieb system 80 boards after experiencing some unreliable results and confusing indications from Leon's test Eprom. These are a big help for me as i repair many board for our gameroom and other people as well.

Awesome! Really jealous of your access to that game room too - great concept.

Only Black Hole and Mars in my lineup, for now.

#578 9 years ago

This is a six digit display from a S80. It hasn't leaked, all caps have been replaced and it's had the brightening procedure. Is there anything else to try or is this panel just on its way out?

display-613.jpgdisplay-613.jpg

#580 9 years ago

I used 24 VDC on the outside pins - got the filaments glowing orange for about five seconds, reinstalled to no effect and then tried again. I've got more than one display doing this and the problem stays with the display regardless where I put it.

1 month later
#620 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Does anyone know how to change the pitch of the vocal tone in a system 80?
I have a Black Hole with a deep voice. I was wondering if I can raise the voice pitch.
thanks!
-mof

First note the caution on page 12 of the manual about adjusting the pots on the sound/speech board.

Then check out Fred Swemmer's comments about adjusting the voice pitch on his new board here (old one's the same concept).

1 week later
#626 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

That seems very high voltage you may want to check under a scope and see if you broke one of the filaments inside, there are five. If it is just one display likely on its way out. But if all seem the same you can try high tapping the display voltage. You just need to move one wire on the transformer. I did this to a couple machines and worked real good. Bumping the voltages up a bit seemed to help more than anything else. I tried a bunch of other things.

The voltage to juice the display came from the coin door lockout coil connection for just a few seconds per the method ninja recommends. Thanks for the high tapping idea.

4 months later
#677 9 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

There isn't NVram on the board, it has a backup cap if I am not mistaken.

The MPU I got from Fred for my MGOW has both an NVRAM on a daughter card and a memory cap. Both the MPU and driver have been running fine for about six months.

1 week later
#680 9 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

The daughter board replaces the 5101 memory chip, as far as I know the board still requires power/capacitor backup to maintain bookkeeping info.

Fred says no, the cap is just a backup if you want to put in a 5101 back in, but I don't know.

7 months later
#822 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking for a Nightmare/Freddy part. Called PB resource. Not very helpful and he grumbled that it has no part number so he cant/wont look for it...The light panel in backbox is missing the metal slide that holds it from opening. I know on Williams games it just lifts up over a screw head and you swing light board open. Anyone ever see one of these or have one? Nothing in manual.

Like this?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-3745

#828 8 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Ill see if my buddy wants to go that route..thanks!

Someone who has a 1995 Gottlieb parts catalog can lookup the part number and then I'm sure PBR can hook you up. I've only got the 82 version.

5 months later
#1032 8 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Back with my next set of questions. A couple related issues.
The score display glass unit (whatever it's really called) for player 2 is currently only held to it's circuit board by the inputs at the bottom. unit still works but flops around, how best to secure it in place? Which leads to my second issue. Judging by the back of the backglass it's been this loose for a while. What is the best way to repair the area of the backglass the score shows through? I ran across https://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0374.html while searching which looks promising, is that the best way to go?

I replaced the film in one of my back glasses with this. http://pinballswag.com/product.php?productid=2 No need to use a blade for removal - just carefully use clear packing tape and the film pulls right off the glass. Just keep it away from the artwork.

For the display I just used some double sided foam tape to hold it in place.

1 week later
7 months later
#1212 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I see what you're talking about. I'm talking about the connection that is missing something in it. I looked up other photos of other people's games have that connection empty too so I'm assuming it's okay

The empty connector is for an IDE cable connection option should you also have an aftermarket driver board with that capability. In that scenario it would be used in place of the original Gottlieb edge connector harness that connects the MPU and driver boards.

#1213 7 years ago

Here's an example.

IMG_0011 (resized).jpgIMG_0011 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hootowls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=hootowls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.