(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2843 5 years ago

Good Morning Pinsiders!

I picked up a Gold Wings with some problems.. and I'm on the fence about the machine. It is very fun, but I can't play when something is not 100% as it drives my OCD nuts. If it is something fairly simple, no harm no foul as they say. My biggest problem is working 50-60 hours a week in healthcare I have zero time to be picking up another problem child nor do I wish to invest what extremely little time I have becoming a System 80 technician. There is literately a backlog of things for me to fix at home that is months log it not longer without adding to that pile.

If you can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

1) The 500,000 light does not come on under the aircraft carrier on the right side. It does not light during lamp test, attract mode nor during gameplay. The scoring however works fine. The MPU is seeing the roll over and adds the regular score or 500,000 when conditions are meet (along with the siren going off when 500,000 is struck) A digital volt meter shows a very low flickering voltage below one volt which maybe just oscillations from the other playfield lights going on/off. Led or #44 bulb, no difference.

2) The top left lane roll over does not register during play or test. If I pull the 2 balls out and run the switch test from the menu it comes up "All Switches Open" as it should. Triggering the switch does nothing in gameplay or testing. What is interesting, if I trigger any other switch in the test, that switch will stay up on the display till a different is triggered, is this normal? One would think it would go back to "Open" again but doesn't.

3) The loop the loop bonus build up does not work. The switch tests fine for the entry but the bonus and special light there never come on during gameplay. However during lamp test and attract mode the lights clearly function! During gameplay they are dead as a doornail nor is any bonus awarded.

4) Something curious- During lamp test #2 light will pulse the siren, is this normal?

That is all I can think of off the top my head. I have examined the connectors and they are all clean. At some point the mainboard has been sent out for work as it has a tag on it indicating that a slam switch mod had been done to it and it has a VRAM for high score. The watchdog board was disconnected, which I'm told is ok.

Oh, and where can I find the checksum for the game? I picked up a manual but didn't see it listed but the whole manual reads like something for a Winnnebago Lesharo, in French. Can't make heads nor tails of the wiring diagram.

Gary
20190328_095233_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095233_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095248_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095248_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095316_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095316_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095343_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095343_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095558_resized (resized).jpg20190328_095558_resized (resized).jpg

#2845 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Have you done the ground mods yet? The first thing I have been doing lately before I do any deep dives on System 80B machines is reseat the switch connectors on the MPU. I've fixed a couple of strange switch issues lately from doing this alone.

I have plugged and unplugged all connectors which changed nothing and was told ground mods were done in the lower cabinet, which I have verified as being done.

I'm not sure I'm keeping it, was told at time of purchase it was 100%. I paid the asking price, with that in mind. If it is something simple, then no harm, no foul. If it is going to take hours of troubleshooting or board repair then I need to have that discussion with the seller, whom I have been in touch with and wish to give the benefit of the doubt.

I know little about System 80's aside from the ground mods seem popular and a few mentions in TNT videos when discussing bullet-proofing machines. Reviewed them since and if the machines stays I'll do that after.

Would checking continuity of wiring for the 500,000 light or roll over switch to its terminus be of some help? I just need to know where to look. Everything else seems to work fine, no display flicker, etc.

#2846 5 years ago

Follow up- Spent some time troubleshooting when I should be replacing an alternator!

Problem #2 and #3 look to be effectively fixed as I found a bad solder joint or two and fixed them. #4 is normal I think as Gottlieb will use a lamp driver circuit to drive non-lamp items.

#1 I think is a bad driver board. I have continuity from the 500,000 lamp base to pin #9 of the connector but there is no output. Thoughts? How do I isolate one lamp driver line to determine if it is the driver board or MPU?

#2848 5 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

I've got a flasher out on my Raven. I know it's cracked solder on the transistor for it, but I haven't fixed it yet. Could it be something like that?

Not sure, the former owner (who has been very gracious through this) indicates it is fairly new. Have to wait and see if anyone can chime in how to determine where the problem lies.

#2851 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

The driver board switches to ground. So you never get an output.
You need to check the voltage at the lamp.
If the lamp doesn't light, you must have 6VDC on either side of the socket.
If not, the bulb or socket may be broken.

No voltage at the socket wiring, socket and bulb are therefore eliminated and there is continuity from the socket base to pin #9 of the driver board.

Updated- Socket and bulb tested fine, braid to socket is fine, tapping center of bulb to ground (done briefly) lights bulb in socket.

So were back to ground not being provided by driver board to light lamp.

My mistake on how bulbs are driven on this pinball platform, sorry about that.

I rechecked continuity from pin #9 to the 500,000 point socket center pin, all is good there.

#2852 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Doesn’t always boot but when it does I love playing this game!
Also what I’ve found during switch testing is once you adjust a close switch, hit the start button for it to clear and report all open.

Its a fun game, I have managed to get the loop special twice and extra ball a few times. I find the tight playfield to my taste, it really keeps you on your toes! Maddening trying to get the multi-ball release shot when the lane lights up, I'm not anywhere near close to perfecting the shot yet.

Thank you for the tip on the switch "reset"

20190328_153743_resized (resized).jpg20190328_153743_resized (resized).jpg

#2856 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Gold wings is a fun game.
I owned on for almost 10 years.

Now that I have most stuff working played a game with the Mrs. last night, she said she saw the attraction. It is a little fast and tight for her tastes, she really likes the EM's. Me too but it all depends in what you are in the mood for on any given day and I like the variety.

Did a deep dive into the System 80 PinWiki this morning to understand how the lamp circuit works. Were going to try and swap out the driver board as a fairly quick tests but at least I know how the circuit works now and may pickup a meter to test a few items this weekend if I have any spare time.

#2858 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

That restored gold wings is stunning.
I love the colored rubbers. Nice accent.

It is, I just noticed I have the wrong display mask for mine.

#2860 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Since Gold Wings is getting some love at the moment, anyone know of any air craft carrier or plastic arch repos?

I think back one page someone mentioned doing ramps.

#2868 5 years ago

Question for Gold Wings owners- Do the two cockpit lights work? I just noticed them when cleaning some connections and they don't come on during gameplay or light testing. I watched some videos on Youtube and didn't see them come on in those games either. Something that was never implemented?

#2870 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I only notice them during the lighting sequence when a ball is dropped in the shooter lane at the start, they flash a few times before you plunge. Also if you nail the spinner really good the cock pit of the jet and the light for the missile flash for a few spins. But nothing during attract mode. Same with the shoot again bulb, only blinks when you get the extra ball.

L18, they are in the test menu under lamp and solenoid tests.

The missile flashes on mine during spinner operation but no cockpit.

#2872 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Have you checked/tested the transistors for those lights and the others you were having issues with? I know you mentioned some other problems with lighting previously, did those issues get resolved?

The seller is sending me a driver board that was to go with the machine, he swapped them by accident when troubleshooting his other System 80. No sense picking at this driver board if another will be here in a day or two.

#2882 5 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Question for Gold Wings owners- Do the two cockpit lights work? I just noticed them when cleaning some connections and they don't come on during gameplay or light testing. I watched some videos on Youtube and didn't see them come on in those games either. Something that was never implemented?

Ok, follow up to my questions!

1) The cockpit lights have to be 44's! I was examining the wiring and noted the sockets are wired in SERIES. Popped the LED's out and popped in a set of 44's and we are back in business. I tried 47's and it just smirked at me. 44's worked perfect. Problem solved.

2) The 500,000 light now working! 100% the driver board. I swapped in a Ni-Wumpf driver board and the 500,000 lamp was doing its thing.. but other ugly problems arose.

As soon as I installed the driver board on boot up the lower part of the display was slightly scrambled. This made me cringe and I turned everything back off, rechecked connections and even took some jumper wires with gator clips and made sure the boards had good grounds to each other. After several minutes the problem abated but would return if the machine was off for a bit. I happened to remove the plexi from the display to check the connection there and noted a very ugly looking cap. I think that is going to be replaced next and possible cause of cranky display.

Edit- I let it run for a bit and the display does it all the time now, I think it is best to shut down and leave off till caps are changed.

The other problem is when playing for a fairly short period of time some of the playfield insert lights would get dim.

Release, 100,000, 500,000, Capture and a few others would simply loose their brightness but still work. I checked all connections again, wiggled the harness, examined the bulb sockets with no change noted. Popped the old driver board back in and *poof* problem gone.

At this point in the program planning on doing final ground mods to circuit boards, replace the caps on the display board and check/replace the transistor on the driver board for the 500,000.

What say you on the garbled display? Cap? Did not start till the new board was installed, I'm assuming just coincidence it acted up the same time the board was swapped..
20190402_171847_resized (resized).jpg20190402_171847_resized (resized).jpg20190402_172846_resized (resized).jpg20190402_172846_resized (resized).jpg

#2885 5 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

It looks like the big resistor below them was replaced and that's what put the smoke stains on the caps.

I think you are right, still prudent to replace all the caps on the board. I'm running into a hell of a time in my other hobby (vintage computers) with caps just failing sitting in the box! 20 years is a generous estimate on their life span as they just dry out.

Any other thoughts about the jumpy display? I'm almost starting to regret this, far more work than I have time and money for at the moment.

1 week later
#2898 5 years ago

Waiting on parts..

20190409_190757_resized (resized).jpg20190409_190757_resized (resized).jpg
#2911 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I had a customer request a Gold Wings ramp in pink... I kinda dig it! I have pink LED's in my pops... I'd probably go back to white if I ran the pink ramp though.
[quoted image]

I'm thinking about one of your Gold Wings ramp, have to fix the stupid game first before I pump another dime into it though. I might set it on fire and save myself a great deal of aggravation.

1 week later
#2933 5 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

Howdy! I've recently purchased a Genesis in need of work. I have done the ground mods and have the machine almost working fully. However, I am stuck on an issue with the alphanumeric display. As you can see from the pictures only a few segments light and some are very faint. The broken display segments are frozen and never change.
I put a display from my Bounty Hunter in Genesis and it works fine. I've replaced the two 7147 IC hex buffer chips on the board but that had no change. Any suggestions on where to troubleshoot next? Thanks.

The two "939" Rockwell chips drive the two displays and is what I would suspect if everything else looks good. Frankly for the cost of the two chips you could pickup a good used display and be done with it. Just make sure the voltages are good on the board though, odds of both chips acting up are slim in my opinion but possible. I just got my Gold Wings display working correct and I'm picking up a spare for good measure, let me know if there is any readings I can do for you.

FYI looking at your pictures it caught my eye the cap has been replaced, is it the correct value? Looks far smaller than the original.

1 week later
#2945 4 years ago

My only thought is to check the slam switch on the coin door and make sure it isn't tripped, just had that problem with my Spring Break.

#2948 4 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

Good ideal. My coin door wiring is hokey. I lol check it out after work.

Mine was sensitive enough that the balls launching and striking the drop targets would set it off. Puzzling till I figured it out. Had the meter on the CPU board, watching the 5.0 voltage and trying to get it to act up.. and it was just a switch. Tweaked it and fine ever since.

#2950 4 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

Only thing "off" is game sits very high. Front legs are 27 rears are 28.5 inches. Game leveled out still runs at a 8-9 degrees. Feels off to me.

I really don't know why people do this, manual states 5.5-6 degrees.

#2953 4 years ago

I'm going to be diving into the switch matrix for the first time of a System 80B system, I have a drop target that is not registering as being down. Any advice? I looked over at Pinwiki to get up to speed, but still a little greek to me. First thought is check continuity and then check the diodes in the circuit to make sure there is no failure. I did a visual exam last night and saw nothing and the switch looks good and clean with no broken wires.

#2955 4 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

I agree 100%. But even jacking front legs up rears down I can't get it lower. Would lead me to think rear legs were swapped out. Can anyone confirm leg sizes.

Gottlieb 4337 in my Hot Shots manual is 27 3/8" quantity four.

Some websites list short/tall sets; my factory manual would indicate this is incorrect and borne out with the three System 80's I have here. With the rear jacked up too high you can't even make some of the shots in Spring Break as the ball "falls off" trying to get across the table and will impact the upper turn low.

I just purchased 27" chrome legs from PBResource this week for this very problem, very reasonable at $13 a pop.

#2959 4 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Need help
I have a Gottlieb Diamond Lady that I put all new boards in and I still cannot get any sound? I hear a hum from the speakers and the volume control works, but no game sounds. It will coin up and ply but nothing. Event the test buttons on the sound card produce nothing.
Any thoughts?

Need more info.

Which boards were swapped out? Did you change out the sound board? Were the sound ROMS swapped out for the game?

3 weeks later
#2995 4 years ago

Maintenance on the Spring Break!

Since purchase a month ago the game was vaguely fussy; sound would not initialize right or was distorted time to time and would take a reboot or two to make right. I knew the 5V pot adjuster was fussy and erratic so ordered replacement pots (which didn't fit!)

This morning I drilled out the 5 volt board PCB so the new pot fit and dialed in 5.05 volts, grounded all the circuit boards and took off the battery (which had been changed in 2007 according to the tag) and simply remotely mounted it so even if it fails can't cause any damage.

Machine fired up and is running beautifully, rock solid.

Picture taken before I removed the battery and plugged in the upper MPU connector.

20190604_090817_resized (resized).jpg20190604_090817_resized (resized).jpg

#2997 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's the most tidy grounding job I've ever seen ...

Would have been neater but I'm working on the machine while it is in the line up which entails kneeling on another machine's rails to avoid stressing the glass. I'd pre-cut the wire, tin it and added the eyelet before hefting back up to solder in place.. so lengths were done by eye, a little longer than shorter.

#2999 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What type of crimping tool do you need to do those eyelets?

Nothing special, standard automotive style eyelets. In this case I was using linesmen pliers which has a built in crimper.

#3001 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I'm back in the club.
I've got a Hot Shots game to restore.

Fun game! I have a really nice one in the line up but we're tight for space and thinking of rotating out. Can't keep them all!

20190506_201742_resized_1 (resized).jpg20190506_201742_resized_1 (resized).jpg
#3003 4 years ago

Cheap and sleazy Gold Wing mod that looks awesome!

Installed an LED below the capture outhole to illuminate the lens, LED is connected to the capture lamp.

Bright light to the right of the outhole is a lighted post to brighten up the area.

20190606_190301_resized (resized).jpg20190606_190301_resized (resized).jpg20190606_190353_resized (resized).jpg20190606_190353_resized (resized).jpg20190606_190711_resized (resized).jpg20190606_190711_resized (resized).jpg
#3007 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

To share a mod in return around lighting, I installed 3 spot lights to help with this game. 2 on the slings and 1 on the post at the end of the ramp.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Had not really considered spots; I prefer lighting more indirect and come through the plastics if possible to make them pop a bit. I have considered getting some 4" strip lighting and trying them in various locations. The playfield lighting on mine has been pumped up with some 5SMD towers and 2SMD in the other locations. I'll have to grab a few spots and play around a bit.

The outhole lighting is actually fairly bright, the lighted post is throwing off the camera.

I used a Comet 2SMD orange bulb in it and the "capture" insert. I considered red but that is used in a few other spots and wanted it to be different but still indicate "danger" as in being captured.

Two pictures of my playfield, one with overhead lamp on and the other with off. Camera had trouble focusing when the light was off.

20190607_063414_resized (resized).jpg20190607_063414_resized (resized).jpg20190607_063450_resized (resized).jpg20190607_063450_resized (resized).jpg
#3009 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I had my cleopatra working great but after a week of play it has developed a problem where two chime coils and the right saucer coil lock on when the game is turn on.
I switched driver boards and the problem still occurs. Is there anything I need to check on the mpu? Anything else it could be?
Ground mods are done, stock mpu, stock driver board, aftermarket power supply.

I'd look at the diagram of the MPU and see if the 3 items are related in any way as to what is controlling them.

2 weeks later
#3021 4 years ago

Still picking at my Gold Wings; 4" frosted led strips came in from Comet and I have one tucked behind the upper flipper to illuminate the plastic fully and the flipper itself.

20190613_164511_resized (resized).jpg20190613_164511_resized (resized).jpg20190613_172543_resized (resized).jpg20190613_172543_resized (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3054 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

So bros, men, the ROMs on Gottlieb sys80b (Hot shots), are they easily found (and what number do they have other then just 2764? all i can find in the manual) brand new?

Search for arcade emulator sites.

#3056 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Ah, i already have the files, i meant the chip itself.

Oh, the EPROMS themselves!

Odds are no, anything you find now will be pulls being that old.

You need 2764? I might just have a new stick on the shelf. LMK how many you need.

2 weeks later
#3075 4 years ago

Not an obvious modification to the naked eye but a pleasant one none the less. When I picked up my Gold Wings it had the "popular" short leg/long leg modification which I abhor. The manual states 5.5 to 6 degrees, which is a fine suggestion. I had to crank up the front levelers just to get it in the ball park which made a tall machine even taller.

So yesterday while pushing pins around I freed up some time to take the generic black legs that were on GW, run them through the chop saw, fired up the welder and made them all an equal 26" as you can see in the picture. The flipper buttons are now at the same height as the Williams Touchdown right next to it and I can see more of the playfield.

Little gold paint and all is good.
20190728_053117_resized (resized).jpg20190728_053117_resized (resized).jpg

#3081 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

Any chance you have an extra speaker panel for Gold Wings? I've been looking for one for a bit now.

I have a Hollywood Heat one on mine, though I'm toying with making one from scratch. With a laser printer and water slide decals could come up with something pretty cool.

2 weeks later
#3115 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

On timeline there is a bell inthe game..really awsome. Did they put this in any other sys 80 games?[quoted image]

Air raid siren in Gold Wings!

1 month later
#3156 4 years ago

Anyone with a good system 80 board for sale? I have a game to bring back to life. Current board has damage over a wide area and I'm not sure worth investing my time.

#3158 4 years ago

I'm considering a Swemmer if I can find one or a Rottendog if a good stock MPU doesn't pan out. No particular hurry, I have plenty of projects to keep me busy but thought I'd throw it out there I was looking.

#3160 4 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Have you looked at the lisy board? Just put one in my Pinball Pool (system 1) and it's pretty slick...
lisy.dev

Interesting.

2 weeks later
#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

yes, I only touch up if clearing the whole playfield.

I just discovered Mylar is great for spot areas. Touched up this Trek playfield and mylar'd the center, it looks great!

20190904_093907_resized (resized).jpg20190904_093907_resized (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3188 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigJam:

Just added a Big House to my collection. My first solid state Gottlieb. It needs work, but I got it for a bargain. Ordered whatever parts PBR had available in addition to a few boards that looked too toasty to repair. Some parts are no longer available like the motors so hopefully I can get the existing ones working smoothly. I figure I would check in because this group seems to have a great collection of minds![quoted image][quoted image]

I played one at York a few weeks ago, could not get a good game in to decide if I like it or not. Shows are so hit or miss on the pins you play I generally don't form a bad opinion unless it is a clear stinker or tried a few examples.

#3196 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Don’t think I’ve owned a 80a, but I feel like my sys1 and black hole had giant back boxes vs a Williams or stern

Haunted House is about 30 1/2"

3 weeks later
#3230 4 years ago

Interesting problem I have been chasing and finally a resolution. Perhaps this will help another Gottlieb owner in the future.

One of the pop bumpers looked.. slower than the others is the only way I think I could describe it. Almost like it was hanging up when the coil was released. I had the assembly apart a few times and installed new parts but nothing seemed to really totally fix the issue. Tonight I took it apart one more time and noticed when I reassembled that the plunger was not totally making contact with the stop. The hat or link under the fiber was making contact with the plunger bracket.

It would make sense it is binding up as when the plunger is all the way down it is being forced to one side when it came in contact with the bracket. When the coil released, it was bound up against the side of the sleeve and takes a split second to release.

Grinding off the point of the piece gave me about 1/8" of clearance and it no longer binds up, a noticeable improvement when playing.

20191127_201604_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201604_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201614_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201614_resized (resized).jpg
#3241 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Helping a buddy with a spiderman. MPU looks like some acid damage. I dont know much about Amazing Spiderman but should get send board for repair? Is there anything new avail?

Going to depend on how bad the damage is and yes new boards are available. Picture?

1 week later
#3279 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Sent you a pm. I generally use the little disc capacitors just because it's clean and easy.

I have had problems with disc caps, so my go to are..

1) NVRAM
2) Phone batteries 3.6V with remote cable, $12 for a four pack from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DFVPAKG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00

#3285 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I have a HH in my vacation house That I play once or twice every couple months. It has a memory capacitor installed and has kept my high score for 5 years now.

I had one in Hollywood Heat that would last a week.

For the $3 I just assume go with a remote & rechargeable battery.

2 weeks later
#3302 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Heres a bit of a random question that I’m hoping someone might be able to answer.
I recently picked up a hot shots. It plays great, minus the accelerator. The previous owner removed the accelerator motor, but he just found it so I’m going back to get it tomorrow. It looks like it was removed due to the fan blades breaking off the Center (I’ll attach pics as it sounds odd).
My question is, do I need to weld the fan blades back on? My dad is a great welder and said it would be no problem to do so, I’m just questioning if it’s actually necessary. Do you suppose that the motor / inside the cabinet actually gets that hot?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Welding would get things pretty out of balance, I'd remove the fan and mount a unit below it.

Plenty of computer case fans or squirrel cage blowers running at a variety of voltages that would work fine.

#3307 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses.
With me being in Canada, and this being a fan that will likely be hard/costly to find and ship, it sounds like my best bet is to install a tiny fan in the cabinet and point it at the motor. I'll try that route first.
Thanks again!

I did a quick search of Ebay, very possible to find something that could work.

ebay.com link: sch

Search for Aluminum fan blade turns up lots.

#3309 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I have a Hot Shots game too.
I had a hard time finding the rubbers for the accelerator.
Now I've found them in France.
The game is located in a somewhat cold envirement (not moist, just colder than home play).
The rubbers are too hard for this colder place.
They work fine around 20 degrees C, but under 15C it does not let the ball through.
Anyone had this problem too?

Pinball Resource sells them.

You could also make some new ones by turning or shaving down the originals and using Titan bands around the circumference.

#3311 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I'd try welding it... he should just make sure he tacks symetrically... every 120 degrees for a total of three tacks should do it. These motors were never all that well balanced in the first place.
Motor cooling fans are actually not an unusual part and I've had to replace them a couple of times in my work as an electrician. If the weld doesn't balance out for you, bring the whole assembly to a local electric motor shop (every city has at least one) and they'll find you something that will fit. It won't be expensive.

$5-$10 a pop shipped on Ebay, cost you 5x as much to have a welder take a stab at it unless you have a buddy do it for free.

Not worth it when you can get one so cheap.

1 week later
#3334 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Just inspecting Volcano and found all 4 pop bumper driver boards appear different.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I see a two early ones that have not been revised to the newer spec, nothing unusual. Make sure all the solder joints are good, common failure.

1 month later
#3416 4 years ago
Quoted from Leveeger:

Why not making one from scratch? You just need a sheet of metal and a driller...

Piece of flat stock from Home Depot and a drill, take a hot 10 minutes

#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Additional question:
2 pop bumper fuses are burst as soon as the game is on; I assume their boards are dead?
Another one is not blowing the fuse but not reacting at all as well.
Fourth one has a seized coil but is registering
Sys80 bumper joy!

Start with looking for bad joints on the popper board connections. Mine had a bunch & blown fuses and after repairing the joints the problem went away.

#3433 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Check the Pinwiki for details of upgrades and repairs to the pop bumper driver boards.

Unplugged the boards, does it still pop fuses?

#3445 4 years ago

They come up for sale on the board here time to time.

#3451 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Would highly recommend just buying a new S/S Board from Fred Swemmer. I just purchased one for my Black Hole, and it truly is a nice piece of work.

Also $249 plus shipping and people have reported some incompatibilities.

SC-01 do show up time to time, just need to wait till one does.

#3462 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

An SC-01A chip has been received from a fellow hobbyist! Thanks for all the input.[quoted image]

4982cac716b61501e7a92d05802385118bc5c98987c767f4e344d430ead68453.gif4982cac716b61501e7a92d05802385118bc5c98987c767f4e344d430ead68453.gif
1 week later
#3470 4 years ago

Anyone have a single System one or System 80 7 digit display for sale? Worse case just need the glass.

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes I do, but I think shipping to the USA would kill the deal. (35 euro)
Look on my wbesite and click on the Bridge Board image.
Goto the Parts section.
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Turns out I need a 7 digit actually.

#3480 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

If you are going to allentown, there is a vendor who sells them for $40.
What are the seven digit ones on?
I have some kicking around but i believe they are all 6s

Steve Young found one for me and I added it to my order this morning, woot!

#3483 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

How many times have we heard that, Steve to the rescue!

They are on Ebay for the same price but since I had an order to place with Steve anyway.. ching!

1 week later
#3522 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Hey Guys,
I've had ASM for over a year and have not been able to find a replacement bottom hinge for the backbox. If anyone has a spare they're willing to sell, I'm all for it! Otherwise, is there a fix for this particular issue? The bottom hinge lacks that "spring upwards" motion I've seen from others owning the game. It looks effortless for those owners posting video of lifting and rotating the light board. I appreciate all your feedback. I'm thinking this is a lost cause, and I'll just need to live with the quirk. Here's a video of me struggling to open without doing further damage.

Wood might be swelled up causing it to be difficult to lift, would not surprise me as they are "chipped wood" panels which have a tendency to absorb water.

2 weeks later
#3540 4 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Quick question on flipper rebuilds on 80b’s... I have my pitch set at 6 on Genesis and the right flipper rarely makes it up the left ramp. It definitely seems weaker than the left flipper. I’m going to start by rebuilding the flippers as they look original. Should I also replace the coils or are they simply work/don’t work? Thanks

I find that a good rebuild makes a big difference along with making sure EOS is clean and set proper.

2 weeks later
#3576 4 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Hi Gottliebers!
Anyone got an original spring break translite for sale or have an hires scan or photo of one?
Drop me a pm!
Best regards
Peter

I might be able to help you with a scan if you give me a few days. You will have to stitch it together though

#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Oh Thank’s! Would really appreciate it!
No problem to stitch it!

I'll try to pull today so I can bring into work and use the nice scanner

#3585 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

If you shut off power and it stays down, sounds like a magnet to me. plunger or coil stop as you say.

I'd look close at the plunger yoke first to see if it wedging itself in place.

#3590 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I took it apart and checked, seemed fine. I ordered new yoke, stop, plunger and coil stop today from PBR.
I can't believe how cool the pascal all-in-1 board is. I spaced on the extra features, turned them on and man that is bad ass. Attract mode, skill shot, ball save, high scores etc. Super neat.

Look to see if the yoke is hitting at the indicated spots. If it does this will cause the yoke to cock over and jam the plunger into the side of the sleeve. Drove me crazy on my Black Hole finding. I ground the point down on the yoke an 1/8" inch and it fixed it.
20191127_201604_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201604_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201614_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201614_resized (resized).jpg

#3592 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Any success with the scanner?

Thanks for reminder, I'll try to pull tonight. Been working on this...

20200428_185228 (resized).jpg20200428_185228 (resized).jpg
#3594 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Any success with the scanner?

I have it pulled but she is brittle so will find a box I can bring it to work to protect while in transport.

20200429_200154 (resized).jpg20200429_200154 (resized).jpg
#3608 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Yeay our spring brake landed today!
Just a little bit dirty and missing the epic translite
[quoted image]

I have the cardboard so hope to have scanned in tomorrow morning!

#3613 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Yeay our spring brake landed today!
Just a little bit dirty and missing the epic translite
[quoted image]

Scan is complete; I have a 600 DPI TIFF file ready for upload when I get home tonight.

sb (resized).pngsb (resized).png
#3616 3 years ago

Back home, safe and sound and file uploaded.

20200505_153816 (resized).jpg20200505_153816 (resized).jpg

#3618 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

New parts and it still sticks. Here’s a video

Interesting, it acts like it is binding up.

A PITA I know, try swapping the whole assembly coil and all from one location to another to see if problem follows?

#3621 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

yup, if it is binding i wonder if it is the pop ring itself. sucks to remove that, but maybe I'll swap tonight . WILD!!! you'd think it was the coil but it holds while off for so long. GRRRR, but luckily when it sticks the pascal disables play, but obviously I want to play it
EDIT: so you mean swap the coil, coil bracket, yoke aka the easy stuff from under the pf? I can do that tonight and test tomorrow!

I mean everything lock, stock and barrel. Yes I know the light connections are a pain but you can always do what you suggested first to see if it changes anything.

1 week later
#3656 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Thanks again for the scans gdonovan ! [quoted image]

Glad to be of service.

#3660 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Hey all, just acquired a Gold Wings with a ton of issues, lucky me! I’ve worked though most of them... over fused, bad transistors and bad diodes. I’m down to the end with a couple issues and need some assistance from the community.
Top right flasher (blue, sol 6) isn’t working, the left/right thruster and cockpit lamps (Q3, 4, 5 test good) aren’t working. Also, the upper left flipper isn’t working.
Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks

Make sure cockpit lights are 44 incandescent bulbs, the sockets are wired in series for them and led wont work.

#3681 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Nice score, always wanted a Night Moves. Definitely aftermarket. Not sure if this is the same board (looks like it to me based on picture) but Marco has this listed as an 80B power supply replacement.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-645
Have you confirmed 5VDC from the power supply?

A good thing to check but would not be playing if no 5V.

Power supply looks a Gulf unit which is reliable.

Clean the edge connectors on the MPU, the display won't work if communication is lost with MPU. Most common problem.

#3684 3 years ago

My first System 1; It had been in a basement for the last 30 years dead with no key for the head. I drilled the lock and this is what I found behind the backglass, a very unmolested unit back there. The tilt wiring and outhole had been disconnected in the cabinet for some reason, undoubtedly an attempt to "repair" the unit after the battery leaked.

I repaired the tilt wiring and outhole switch, pulled the battery off the MPU, did some quick clearing of the board contacts and fired up with the MPU unplugged. Checked and set voltage and plugged everything in.

Looks like it is stuck in slam tilt mode even with C2 bypassed but the MPU looks to be working. No insert lights but the GI and displays work and the ball in the saucer was ejected on power up so the MPU is seeing the switch matrix and can activate a coil.

I'm going to replace the interconnect cable (already on order) and use the good pins from the old cable to rebuild the J6 connector which has several broken ones from the battery leakage and go from there.

20200528_124951 (resized).jpg20200528_124951 (resized).jpg20200526_200042 (resized).jpg20200526_200042 (resized).jpg20200526_193029 (resized).jpg20200526_193029 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3707 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My first System 1; It had been in a basement for the last 30 years dead with no key for the head. I drilled the lock and this is what I found behind the backglass, a very unmolested unit back there. The tilt wiring and outhole had been disconnected in the cabinet for some reason, undoubtedly an attempt to "repair" the unit after the battery leaked.
I repaired the tilt wiring and outhole switch, pulled the battery off the MPU, did some quick clearing of the board contacts and fired up with the MPU unplugged. Checked and set voltage and plugged everything in.
Looks like it is stuck in slam tilt mode even with C2 bypassed but the MPU looks to be working. No insert lights but the GI and displays work and the ball in the saucer was ejected on power up so the MPU is seeing the switch matrix and can activate a coil.
I'm going to replace the interconnect cable (already on order) and use the good pins from the old cable to rebuild the J6 connector which has several broken ones from the battery leakage and go from there.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well I replaced the interconnect cable, replaced the pins in the mpu connectors and.. nothing. Just 000000 on the displays. Not even kicking out a ball from the saucer or 70 on the display.

Anyone have an aftermarket system one MPU for sale? Hate to use it for parts.

#3708 3 years ago

Hey now progress!

Have a 5 second boot up now! Replaced the Z29 buffer chip and this got me out of slam tilt mode.

Now I get coin up tones, start tones and the first step of the diagnostics which will power up the flippers , outhole and popper. The MPU is seeing the switch matrix too.

Displays are good and sharp.

20200609_175409 (resized).jpg20200609_175409 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3728 3 years ago

Ordered a new MPU from PBR. I could muck around with the OEM board for weeks and it still could have a bad spider chip.

Cleaned all the inserts and made sure all the lamps were working and refreshed the power board and reflowed its headers.

20200618_175553 (resized).jpg20200618_175553 (resized).jpg
#3729 3 years ago

Well this is awkward.. I got the System One board to work. After replacing the outhole driver on the driver board, I did some work on the MPU and brought it back to full operation.

So when the aftermarket MPU shows up send it back or keep it?

20200622_094420 (resized).jpg20200622_094420 (resized).jpg20200622_085455 (resized).jpg20200622_085455 (resized).jpg
#3731 3 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

The new MPU I have has a new rule set options you can use, I think it really helps me enjoy Cleopatra.
Extra ball, high score recall and skill shot options makes the game a bit better.

Ended up canceling the MPU order, its working well and I think I'll be moving it along in the near future. It is pretty fun to play but not a big drop target fan.

I'll be able to list it for less without a new MPU baked into the pie.

1 week later
#3737 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Seems like the first thing you'd want to check, no?

I actually find the Gottliebs are very sensitive to flipper pivot and sleeve condition and usually the first thing I look at along with EOS switch.

#3753 3 years ago

Countdown now at work in our physical therapy department for use by staff and patients.

20200703_120559 (resized).jpg20200703_120559 (resized).jpg20200703_120652 (resized).jpg20200703_120652 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3824 3 years ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

Picked this up the other week, seems so alien inside compared to other systems I've worked on. The gameplay looks very basic for the era but I'm sure some cubs fan out there will love it once I rehab it.
I learned that this is the first alpha numeric machine and also the first game with high score initials. Kind of a neat little slice of pinball history.
[quoted image]

Almost looks like a street level game Gottlieb was selling 1990-1991.

Simple game with no ramps and basic mechs to reduce downtown for pins in more remote locations. Not as expensive as other games of the timeframe or as prone to downtime.

4 weeks later
#3894 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Boardset is original. Pop caps I had were all white but only one with the right pattern, so replaced with Black Hole centres and left the white bodies. Someone needs to do those caps in white!

PBR has them.

1 month later
#4034 3 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:

Ah nice, good to know about the SB on those! I'll have to check to see if the other boards in the game have had that done. Some of the spare boards I have definitely have been worked on too, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be plug and play
That was my thought on the displays too, not sure what the power path looks like there but maybe there's a weak component or bad connection somewhere. I'm going to drag my scope over there to start sniffing around the data lines too.

Edge connectors would be my guess, common.

2 weeks later
#4077 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah I've had issues with Rottendog stuff here, worst of all is the DE/SEGA flipper boards... those in particular are great for a paperweight. Actually maybe not, since they're so lightweight and weak.
I got a Pascal board for Alien Star... they are Great!

Have Rottendog flipper board in DE Jurassic Park for a year now, zero problems.

#4082 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Rottendog boards are the only ones I’ve ever seen reported issues with over the years. Not lots of issues, but I have seen them reported. That’s why I stay away.
Also I think the ni-wumpf boards for system 1 can cause issues with the tilt switches acting weird.

Only issue I have with RD boards are the fuse holders are too cheap/flimsy and the power supply boards seem iffy in some cases.

3 weeks later
#4156 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

thanks
pbr is indeed out of stock.. i see there are a few that sell plastic ones for stern and system 11. not sure if the will work with 1/8" backglass.

Pinball Life usually has a good stock of trim in my experience.

https://www.pinballlife.com/backglass-trim-and-other-extruded-plastics.html

9 months later
#4810 2 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

I bought a set from PBResource a month or so ago. The web site says out of stock but he has some stored back.

Always call.

#4822 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Great stocking stuffer

The one from Titan Pinball works great as well.

PinWrench1-800x800 (resized).jpgPinWrench1-800x800 (resized).jpg
#4844 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Guys and gals,
Looking for a plastic for the Spider-Man. A-19721. The one with the skyscraper on it. Stock photo below. Mine has a pretty large corner missing.
And i know it’s not this thread, but none the less a Gottlieb…ISO a rebound bracket for an EM I got that was missing it. Image also attached. Let me know if you can help me out with one, or the other, or perhaps both!
Thanks, Chad
[quoted image][quoted image]

Post in the looking for EM parts thread, fairly common EM part. I'll check my stash but dont think I have one myself.

#4867 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Yes I’ve heard TNT say that on a video but the gold one looks right and sounds much nicer, has a deeper tone and less annoying.
Maybe I should hook the other one up as a door bell

I had a gold unit, always cracked me up when it lit off.

3 months later
#5085 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Just picked up a Hollywood Heat. The game is missing the backglass (I have the translite). Does anyone got a lead on one??

Hardware store for $5, I had to cut one for mine when I broke it.

#5089 2 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

is the hardware store in question a national chain?
last time i replaced the glass it cost me $55 locally even online they charge about the same with a minimum order of five glasses.

It's just normal glass, went to Lowes.

3 months later
#5345 1 year ago

Not one you see too often.

8c8713175cb411a474a2ce6c4480dd305272b6a9 (resized).jpg8c8713175cb411a474a2ce6c4480dd305272b6a9 (resized).jpg
#5352 1 year ago

I recently picked up a diamond lady that was missing a power supply. I was lucky enough to find one, and I installed it last night. I checked the voltages, and have 12 volts going in and 5 volts coming out, so it seems to be doing its job. With that said, the game turns on and everything lights up solid, but it doesn't go into attract mode or start a game. I checked the slam tilt in the coin door and it seems fine. I checked the voltages going to the cpu and they seem fine. When powered on there is nothing shown on the displays. Any suggestions on things to test next? I do have a good friend who is knowledgeable that is helping me out through videochats, but thought I'd ask here too.

Ball (s) in the trough?

1 week later
#5368 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Reproduction backglass for Devil's Dare made by Coos. Anyone see something special?
[quoted image]

Proto sexy version.

#5371 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Coos took the sexy Devilines from the proto backglass and added them to the production backglass. They can stay as far as I am concerned

Tame by todays standards but Gottlieb wasn't thrilled about them.

2 weeks later
#5416 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Actually I wouldn't use a socket for this particular chip. I normally install sockets but on these amplifier chips several of the pins are used as a heat sink and that is better when directly soldered.

Correct which is why there is a big blob of solder there, its a heat sink.

To me looks like it would clean right up.

#5437 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Okay so the resistor is NOT on the back of the board, it’s right on that connector, TC1.
Yes, that was added before I got the machine, as well.
All of that has been done, the machine still locks up after an hour or so unattended

Replace the caps on the watchdog board, been there done that. When they get old and decay it changes the timing.

1 month later
#5588 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Never use flexstone on any game that is a solid state game, regardless of year. For your Cleopatra, just use a business card, folded paper, dollar bill, etc.

I have found cardstock dabbed in acetone good for cleaning solid state contacts, worse case I have use a thin strip of scotchbrite to LIGHTLY go over the contacts when nothing else has worked.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.